PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card Advice Please

Webhed
04-05-04, 10:40
Hi everybody. Until now, I have been a firm supporter of nVidia graphics cards. I was planning on buying a GeForce FX5900 256Mb card. However, I have heard of the Radeon 9800 Pro - also 256Mb.

What do you think would be the best? The thing that sways me toward the nVidia, is that most of the games have the nVidia logo on the boxes, which makes me think that they are designed for the nVidia chips.

Draco
04-05-04, 11:27
Go ATI. I used to be nVidia all the way, but then I also used to be Intel all the way. One day I just decided to buy the best, and neither nVidia nor Intel were it...

You really cant go wrong with either one, they both do what they are sposed to do.

The logos on the games mean absolutely nothing, i mean how often does a game with the Windows logo work right?

Simulation
04-05-04, 11:41
Hi Webhead,

I use both nVidia and ATI cards. I'm not particularly biased towards either company. Basically I will always choose the best price/performance and not worry about if it is an nVidia or ATI card. These two companies have been at loggerheads for many years now and the performance winning crown has moved between them on many occasions.

As for nVidia's "The way its meant to be played" promotion, it is just that, a marketing promotion. The game developers write their code to support a particular version of DirectX or OpenGL and each card/driver will have it's own advantages/disadvantages/bugs. A good case is TRAOD which does carry the nVidia logo, but had the benchmarking diabled in one of the patches because nVidia realised ATI were out-performing them. Since that time nVidia has developed new drivers and cards that has closed the gap.

Have a look at this review (http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/index.html) and you will see there is little advantage to the 5900 Ultra, but not much.

Just be careful about what you are comparing. The difference in performance when choosing a 5900, 5900 Ultra or 5900 XT is significant and the same goes for the 9800, 9800Pro and 9800XT.

Hope this helps. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif