PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer?

spikejones
15-02-09, 21:56
And why?
Choices:

1. game threads
2. funny stuff threads
3. Zomg! Help Meez!! threads
4. news threads
5. threads containing intelligent conversation
6. Other: elaborate

Multiple choice

I'll jump in later with my own in a bit.

MattTR
15-02-09, 22:00
Wish this was a poll.. :p

Anyways, I prefer all the above, why? Because..

1. Game threads are fun and don't get you thinking too hard.
2. Funny threads get you in a happy mood (hopefully) most of the time. :D
3. Help threads are usually in the wrong place, but I like helping new/old members, gives me a good warm feeling inside. :)
4. News threads keep me posted on what's going on in the world, so I'd say these are one of my favorite kinds to read. :tmb:
5. Conversation threads like Open Chat (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=143664) keeps us members social, so you got to love that. :cool:
6. I also like random threads, there pretty humorous, and of course Lara Croft threads are the shizz.. :p

Punaxe
15-02-09, 22:01
4 and 5 (4 often leads to 5), because those are interesting. The rest is not. :p

That's not to say I don't mind the odd funny thread or help out in a help thread, but I'm trying to narrow my preference down. Also, "other" threads that everyone can participate in (and that is not a game), like the Photography and Collection threads are nice, probably my second preference.

(By the way, "Zomg! Help Meez!!" - does that sound suggestive to you too? ;))

Neteru
15-02-09, 22:02
Give me a few moments and I'll add a poll.

Real Life Raider
15-02-09, 22:02
And why?
Choices:

1. game threads Nope, spam
2. funny stuff threads So long as it is funny. Usually an excuse for spam tho...
3. Zomg! Help Meez!! threads As long as they are in the right place ie tech help forum. People with health issues really should see a doctor
4. news threadsYeh ok but often results in spam
5. threads containing intelligent conversation Yes please
6. Other: elaborate

:)

MattTR
15-02-09, 22:04
Give me a few moments and I'll add a poll.

Neteru to the rescue. :tmb:

Quasimodo
15-02-09, 22:09
I chose the latter three. I like reading up on the newest developments with TR's future, and joining or just reading thoughtful discussions. I'm also very partial to the fan art, pictures, movies, and writings section - it's fun seeing what people are creating over there.

MattTR
15-02-09, 22:13
I voted game threads and news threads. :)

spikejones
15-02-09, 22:17
Praise be to the Invisible Omnipresence! Hail.. Hail!!

1. While I do like the game threads in some aspect, I generally will not spend my entire day perusing those unless I am bored.

2. Funny stuff is always welcome, but there again - the substance for a conversation tends to lack

3. Help me threads.. depends upon the subject matter at hand. Tech threads in the tech thread section are perfectly reasonable to ask a person on a computer how to fix something on a computer. Other times though I'll run across a thread where someone asks a question about a rash. While I do gain joy out of helping others that are in need, it seems that some questions like what to do about a rash are better asked of a doctor. While there may be some doctors on the forums, its a bit unreasonable to suspect that one of them happens to be Greg House and will be able to diagnose you without seeing you.

4. I am with you there on 4 and 5 Punaxe. I like to have an intelligent and oft times philosophical debate. As long as people are civil enough to present their opinions without resorting to lowly name calling and what not, it is quite the enjoyable experience to see other members present their points of view.

5. MattTR... Open Chat serves as a catch all for such topics that are generally deem un threadworthy and at the same time provides a place for conversation and what not. However, it seems upon a cursory glance that most of the time it is riddled with posts like "Ugh... I hate school", with not much substance thereafter.

6. regardless of topic, a good meaningful conversation is always welcome.

takamotosan
15-02-09, 22:22
intelligent conversation :wve:

i just love a good debate

Endow
15-02-09, 22:25
I like LoK threads the most. Oh man...I still can't believe Square-Enix now owns Eidos...:(

Biddy
15-02-09, 22:36
I like the intelligent conversation threads, although I don't contribute much I like reading them. ^_^

What about The General _ Thread threads?

Larapink
15-02-09, 22:38
I voted for all lol.

Pan
15-02-09, 22:38
Intelligent Convosation :D

toxicraider
15-02-09, 22:42
Aw I didn't realise it was multiple choice, otherwise i'd have gone for intelligent threads as well as game threads. :hea:

Benguitar
15-02-09, 22:42
2# and 5# for me.

TRfan23
15-02-09, 22:48
All of them, nice to have a mixture :) With the exclusion of 'Other' ;)

Gladous
15-02-09, 22:53
Wish this was a poll.. :p

Anyways, I prefer all the above, why? Because..

1. Game threads are fun and don't get you thinking too hard.
2. Funny threads get you in a happy mood (hopefully) most of the time. :D
3. Help threads are usually in the wrong place, but I like helping new/old members, gives me a good warm feeling inside. :)
4. News threads keep me posted on what's going on in the world, so I'd say these are one of my favorite kinds to read. :tmb:
5. Conversation threads like Open Chat (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=143664) keeps us members social, so you got to love that. :cool:
6. I also like random threads, there pretty humorous, and of course Lara Croft threads are the shizz.. :p

This. :)

There should be a silly conversation thread. :p

spikejones
15-02-09, 22:56
Aw I didn't realise it was multiple choice, otherwise i'd have gone for intelligent threads as well as game threads. :hea:
bummer... so which one did you choose anyhow? I'm not positive which it was.

by the way for future reference in case you were not aware, the square box means you can choose more than one options, whereas the circle signifies only one option can be chosen.

@Endow - what is LoK thread?

@Biddy - you could say that the General "xyz" threads fall into the intelligent conversation threads.. I didn't have room to put up every thing though, so I put the "other" option in there as well. I imagine the general threads get some intelligent conversation at some point or another. However, it seems to me that most of the general threads are of topics I have no interest in. I don't much follow the lives of celebrities, and afaik those are the only ones up here. But alas, it seems as though most of the world is hung upon what their favorite celebrity will do next. I could perhaps start a "General Adventurers Thread" but I don't know how much attention that would get in comparison with a "General [insert celebrity here] thread"

toxicraider
15-02-09, 23:00
bummer... so which one did you choose anyhow? I'm not positive which it was.

by the way for future reference in case you were not aware, the square box means you can choose more than one options, whereas the circle signifies only one option can be chosen.

Oh I hadn't noticed that, thanks
I went for games, although I thought it meant video games, but I like the forum games as well. I like all the threads really, except for the argument ones that end up getting closed. :)

spikejones
15-02-09, 23:09
yeah... it is a shame that so many threads get closed because some people cannot be civil about another persons differing point of view. I've taken a look at a few threads that were closed and they started out very good, but at one point or another it turned into off topic mindless banter and spam. It's such a shame to see things turn out that way.

Ward Dragon
15-02-09, 23:56
4 and 5 (4 often leads to 5), because those are interesting. The rest is not. :p

That's not to say I don't mind the odd funny thread or help out in a help thread, but I'm trying to narrow my preference down. Also, "other" threads that everyone can participate in (and that is not a game), like the Photography and Collection threads are nice, probably my second preference.

(By the way, "Zomg! Help Meez!!" - does that sound suggestive to you too? ;))

This :D

I like LoK threads the most. Oh man...I still can't believe Square-Enix now owns Eidos...:(

Ooh, right, I should have picked "Other" too, although I think the LoK threads fall under "Intelligent Conversation" :D I wonder if Square is interested in continuing the series.

@Endow - what is LoK thread?

The Legacy of Kain Series (http://www.tombraiderwiki.com/index.php/Legacy_of_Kain) :D

Larson_1988
16-02-09, 00:02
Oh yes, i love the Legacy of Kain threads aswell. :) They can be quite heated up by two specific members here. :pi: :D

And i love MGS threads. :) So, i like Gaming threads the most.

And sometimes the "Zomg, help meez" threads if i can be at help of course.

+ News threads, random threads and intelligent conversation threads, though i mostly view the latter ones..

Endow
16-02-09, 00:02
Ooh, right, I should have picked "Other" too, although I think the LoK threads fall under "Intelligent Conversation" :D I wonder if Square is interested in continuing the series.

I don't think they'd be very interested in continuing the franchise, but if they were, I trust them to miss the point.

digitizedboy
16-02-09, 00:05
Well threads containing debates... not that I always contribute to them, but it's always GREAT to see another persons opinions on a subject. I like to see who's right and who's wrong, but I try to keep my personal feelings to myself because I don't want to put my foot in it. :) After all, freedom of speech always ends up in offending someone. lol

rowanlim
16-02-09, 00:25
I voted for:

1. Game threads: It's good to lose yourself sometimes :)
2. Funny stuff threads: Laughter is the best medicine :D
3. News threads: It's good to know what's happening in the world & seeing how it affects everyone.
4. Threads containing intelligent conversation: I debate so it's useful to observe/participate.

Nefertiti_89
16-02-09, 00:25
^ I agree! I love threads like that! I try to stay out of them if I can help it and just follow from the sidelines, but sometimes I have to say something, particularly if its on a topic I'm over educated on lol

Phlip
16-02-09, 00:26
News and Other threads.

News because they're really interesting, e.g. the woman pregnant for 60 years, 13 year old father, longest most lethal snake etc.
Other being polls.

touchmyheart
16-02-09, 00:27
Im not very articulate when it comes to serious discussions (although I do like to browse through and read the opionions of others). So I prefer to stick to lighter threads like Gaming threads or Fun stuff threads. I actually spend the majority of my time here over in the Fanart Forum :)

I dont like to take the internet too seriously :)

spikejones
16-02-09, 00:40
The Legacy of Kain Series (http://www.tombraiderwiki.com/index.php/Legacy_of_Kain) :D
interesting... never heard of any of that before. and If I had, I most likely would have missed the connection totally. But I was kinda curious who that guy in the portrait was supposed to be. Lol... I replaced him with something really horrid looking while I was attempting to build a croft manor mod for the TR Halloween competition.:p
Im not very articulate
It helps to write a sentence out, and if you don't know any bigger words for it - use a thesaurus. then you sound like a well educated person.:D

Larson_1988
16-02-09, 00:47
interesting... never heard of any of that before. and If I had, I most likely would have missed the connection totally. But I was kinda curious who that guy in the portrait was supposed to be. Lol... I replaced him with something really horrid looking while I was attempting to build a croft manor mod for the TR Halloween competition.:p

That portrait is lovely! :D

And i'm with touchmyheart too, i'm not so good in participating in debate threads, so i just view them and keep my personal opinion to myself. :) The last thing i want is to offend anyone.

dizzydoil
16-02-09, 00:47
Threads containing intelligent conversation :D.

spikejones
16-02-09, 01:39
That portrait is lovely! :D
touche!

And i'm with touchmyheart too, i'm not so good in participating in debate threads, so i just view them and keep my personal opinion to myself. :) The last thing i want is to offend anyone.
that is sad to say the least. do you not desire to let your own point of view be heard? In my opinion though, those who take what others say too personally have poor social skills to begin with. All comments contrary to your own belief should not be responded to with belligerence, but rather with a well formed counter argument. Go ahead and pick the other persons post apart bit by bit and point out how you see it being flawed.

*laralover*
16-02-09, 02:05
All of them :D

Larson_1988
16-02-09, 02:07
@Spike

^ Perhaps, or if you turn it the other way around maybe i'm the one with poor social skills because i don't want to offend anyone. Or maybe i'm a coward,

You see, i have spoken off my honest opinions online before and it didn't turn out good.

irjudd
16-02-09, 02:11
I like all sorts of threads. Except...

"zomg my momz so mean you guyz" & "zomg my crush laffed at me" = fail. What a waste of forum space. Threads like that are just pushing what could be interesting topics to the second page.

EmeraldFields
16-02-09, 02:11
I like all sorts of threads. Except...

"zomg my momz so mean you guyz" & "zomg my crush laffed at me" = fail. What a waste of forum space. Threads like that are just pushing what could be interesting topics to the second page.

This.:tmb:

Beans-Bot
16-02-09, 02:15
I nearly put "intelligent discussion", but then I remembered I'm on the internet. :p

Not possible.

"Care-Free" threads like Open Chat for me. :)

Tihocan9
16-02-09, 02:26
1. game threads Yes, I like to see what people think of games before I buy them
2. funny stuff threads Yep, always nice to have something to laugh about
3. Zomg! Help Meez!! threads Eh, not a fan but I don't find them
4. news threads Yes, nice to be informed
5. threads containing intelligent conversation Yes, I like to converse with others

spikejones
16-02-09, 02:26
I nearly put "intelligent discussion", but then I remembered I'm on the internet. :p

Not possible.

"Care-Free" threads like Open Chat for me. :)
'tis only not possible for people who have that kind of attitude though. I've had many intelligent conversations on the internet, as well as an abundance of very stupid conversations in real life. it is the person behind the keyboard or the mouth, and their personality, that determines in which direction the conversation will go.
@Spike

^ Perhaps, or if you turn it the other way around maybe i'm the one with poor social skills because i don't want to offend anyone. Or maybe i'm a coward,

You see, i have spoken off my honest opinions online before and it didn't turn out good.
there are some bad experiences to be had everywhere, but should not deter you from trying again. I wrecked my motor bike the second day I had it, and had to get 13 staples in my arm, but I got right back on the bike that same day. Just get out there and be candid. And don't fret too much if someone takes offense to your post. Their words have not any power if you choose to ignore them.

on the topic of ignoring posts though - one of my gripes is about some people who totally ignore reading someone's post and then ask a question which was quite plainly just answered.

CerebralAssassin
16-02-09, 02:37
1,2 & 5 :)

Larson_1988
16-02-09, 02:38
there are some bad experiences to be had everywhere, but should not deter you from trying again. I wrecked my motor bike the second day I had it, and had to get 13 staples in my arm, but I got right back on the bike that same day. Just get out there and be candid. And don't fret too much if someone takes offense to your post. Their words have not any power if you choose to ignore them.

Yeah, i know that it's theoretically the same thing, but so different at the same time.

To say it like this, i would feel much better debating in topics that isn't religion related. Because that can truly backfire on one.

on the topic of ignoring posts though - one of my gripes is about some people who totally ignore reading someone's post and then ask a question which was quite plainly just answered.

Or someone posting an answer when it's already been given. That's the posts i tend to ignore.

spikejones
16-02-09, 02:51
yeah.. religion, and politics even, are touchy subjects that I tend to leave alone. I may jump in and put my two cents in, but I don't hold a great part in those debates. A lot of those do end up being arguments. Those are the aspects which define many peoples innermost selves, so to pick apart a religion or political standpoint is to pick apart the person itself. You won't often hear me speak of religion or politics. You'll hear me speak of spirituality and morality though. I don't follow a structured documented doctrine. I do that which I hold in my heart to be good and true.

Larson_1988
16-02-09, 02:58
True, i've never seen you post in a politicical/religion related thread.

And then again comes the fear of being completely misunderstood aswell.

Joely-Moley
16-02-09, 03:01
I put, 2, 4, and 5.
It all depends on my mood though.

the hooliganz
16-02-09, 03:44
Funny stuff threads and Inteligent Converstation :)

spikejones
16-02-09, 03:44
the fear of being completely misunderstood
this is, I guess, valid..
It is quite easy to misinterpret things on the internet where tone of voice is not heard. I oft times mistake attempts at sarcasm to be a true statement. And then someone has to point that out after I made a two or three paragraph response to it :vlol:

I guess you just have to mind your words and emotes (if you use them - use them appropriately). I always try to check back for responses to my posts to see what someone has said in reply. Sometimes I get misunderstood, other times it goes right over the top of someones head as they fail to see the deeper meaning. And then I have to break it down in a different manner.

Sir Croft
16-02-09, 03:55
I voted for all of them because it's not the kind of thread that gets my attention, but its topic.

ivannnnn
16-02-09, 09:05
I voted all. I want everything. :)

ShadyCroft
16-02-09, 09:13
Picked the last three. I enjoy any thread with an interesting, fun and engaging topic, and a lot of different opinions and posts.

Drone
16-02-09, 09:32
other

badboy70
16-02-09, 09:33
Games and funny stuff ones :)

Ikas90
16-02-09, 09:44
I voted Funny stuff, Zomg! Help Meez!!, News threads and threads containing intelligent conversation.

The reasons:

Funny stuff = good source of entertainment for when you need something to laugh at (eg; lolcats thread).
Zomg! Help Meez!! = because I want to be able to respond to such thread and make them happy.
News threads = because they contain information about what's going on in the world, a useful thread for increasing political awareness and intelligence.
Threads containing intelligent conversation = yet another useful way of gathering intelligence.

Angelx14
16-02-09, 09:46
Game threads - easy and quick way to gain some posts.
Funny stuff threads - sometimes it's a good laugh, even if the thread name is "what's your favourite band #589". Good laugh ;)
Other - threads like "threads containing intelligent conversation" that doesn't include intelligent conversations, but they do have intelligent content. (not too intelligent, I can't understand otherwise.)

Punaxe
16-02-09, 12:04
Game threads - easy and quick way to gain some posts.
(...)

At least you're honest about it :D

Lee croft
16-02-09, 12:09
other (music ones) :D

Alex Fly
16-02-09, 13:35
I voted game threads but I think I misunderstood this choice. I thought it was meaning threads related to the Tomb Raider games. :o

TRLaraCroft
16-02-09, 15:44
ı voted games threads and funny stuff threads...:)

irjudd
16-02-09, 15:50
I voted game threads but I think I misunderstood this choice. I thought it was meaning threads related to the Tomb Raider games. :o
:eek: I didn't even think of them as being forum games! :hea: No I hate those stupid things. I voted for Games Threads thinking of Video Games threads.

TombRaiderLover
16-02-09, 15:52
Other - threads relating to film. :p

Lara Croft!
16-02-09, 16:17
Funny stuff and news, mostly...

spikejones
16-02-09, 18:38
:eek: I didn't even think of them as being forum games! :hea: No I hate those stupid things. I voted for Games Threads thinking of Video Games threads.
yeah, I meant the threads like:
"what are you drinking now?"
"the person below you"
etc...

I didnt even have the TR Games in mind when writing this, I was pretty much thinking only in the Gen Chat section.

violentblossom
16-02-09, 18:49
i like them all.. the only threads i don't like are the really dumb ones such as "I Hate Eating Crackers" or stuff like "y duz lyfe suk?"

i don't think all threads have to be great big debates or morality discussions or anything, i like funny or amusing threads, but if a thread doesn't serve much purpose or is just made so someone can whine without wanting any feedback, then it shouldn't be there.

Encore
16-02-09, 18:53
What about epic drama threads? There should be an option for those... :pi:

Seriously though, I'll visit any thread if the subject interests me, be it news, help, fun or whatever. Though I admit I've become a bit allergic to threads that practically spell "flame war" such as religious debates and things like that. I just can't be bothered anymore.

P.S.: Game threads suck too.

Reggie
16-02-09, 18:55
What about epic drama threads? There should be an option for those... :pi:

Seriously though, I'll visit any thread if the subject interests me, be it news, help, fun or whatever. Though I admit I've become a bit allergic to threads that practically spell "flame war" such as religious debates and things like that. I just can't be bothered anymore.

P.S.: Game threads suck too.

Ditto :tmb:

Tihocan9
16-02-09, 19:17

Hmm, same here opps, oh well I don't mind forum games.

Andariel
16-02-09, 21:46
News threads - Staying up to date with what's happening in the world is fun just as long as it's not about the economy. The octumom, celebrity stories, etc are really interesting to me.

Threads containing intelligent conversation - I usually just leave a post or two. It's more fun for me to just read the long discussions.

NympHadorA
21-02-09, 19:41
Threads containing intelligent conversation :)

jjbennett
21-02-09, 19:56
Intelligent conversation in General Chat? Pfff...*wanders to mature section*