PDA

View Full Version : Gutted!

RalKram
17-02-09, 20:39
I feel sick!

I'm unemployed at the moment, looking for work in Newcastle, England. It's been a pain in the ass trying to find something i'm going to enjoy doing, but i felt it was worth the struggle because when i'd found somewhere it was gonna pay off and i'd be living in a great place with great opportunity.

Now..

The Landlord for the property i'm living in has changed their property management agency from one to another. These new people said, dont worry we'll keep everything as it is and you'll be paying the same. Then, good news, they decide they're going to reduce the rent. Fantastic. But that only lasted 2 days.

Now they've slammed an extra 400 onto the rent per month!!!!!!!!!!

Can't afford to live here at all now. Even if i got a job i wouldn't have enough money left at the end of the month once rent and bills had been paid, to make it worth the while.

So, i'm going to have to live back home again. It was great while it lasted (a whole one year) but i'm really gutted.

My immediate thoughts are to just go home, find a job back in my hometown for a while and then maybe go back to college in September.

Devastation, lol :o

EDIT: OH! I might be selling some of my Tomb Raider stuff soon, things like Posters and Huge cardboard display stands, would anyone be interested? (you'd need to collect the display stands from County Durham, England)

Joely-Moley
17-02-09, 20:42
I'm sorry! That is crazy.
I'm sick of landlords, I got an extra 25% added on to my rent without warning.
We were already struggling as it was.

Where are you originally from?

Good luck!

jackles
17-02-09, 20:42
Before you do anything rash go to your local citizens advice. You might be entitled to housing benefit or something. Citizens advice first!!!!

RalKram
17-02-09, 20:46
I'm originally from Bishop Auckland, County Durham. I used to live in a village near there before i moved to Newcastle.

Before you do anything rash go to your local citizens advice. You might be entitled to housing benefit or something. Citizens advice first!!!!

I'm already claiming everythin i can, while i've been looking for a job. I can't afford it now though, not even with benefits! lol

LaraCroftRox
17-02-09, 21:39
That sucks :mad:. But look at the bright side - at least you got somewhere to go till your sorted. :o

And I might be interested in that TR stuff....:whi::cln:

RalKram
17-02-09, 22:32
That sucks :mad:. But look at the bright side - at least you got somewhere to go till your sorted. :o

And I might be interested in that TR stuff....:whi::cln:

That's very true! :D

I'll be putting a post up, maybe at the weekend, describing everything that's for sale. It will have pictures too ;)

So watch out for that! :D

spikejones
17-02-09, 22:34
welcome to the land of the economically depressed. I'm in much the same situation. Haven't worked in year and I'm back "home" with the parents myself. Been looking for work here for the last couple months and still haven't found anything. But at least I have a roof over my head.

Gabi
17-02-09, 23:44
Now they've slammed an extra 400 onto the rent per month!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I do not know how much rent you paid to start with, but an increase of 400 per month seems rather excessive to me and I wonder whether your landlord (or the agency for that matter) are actually limited in any way to the amount/percentage they can increase rent.
It might be an idea to contact your local council or the Citizens Advice Bureau before taking any action.

Lee croft
17-02-09, 23:50
im sorry to hear that !!! it sucks dude/dudette!!!

irjudd
17-02-09, 23:52
Wow, 400 (converted) is like the price of average rent where I'm from. What kind of place are you living in? Fancy?

RalKram
17-02-09, 23:59
The Rent is now 1000, which means myself and my flatmate need to pay 500 each to keep living there and we were only paying 325 each the whole time before (total rent was 650). So that's an increase of 350!

It's nothing fancy at all, but the area is nice and quiet and close to the city centre :o

Neteru
18-02-09, 00:02
The Rent is now 1000, which means myself and my flatmate need to pay 500 each to keep living there and we were only paying 325 each the whole time before (total rent was 650). So that's an increase of 350!

It's nothing fancy at all, but the area is nice and quiet and close to the city centre :oTheir behaviour is unreasonable and I'm sure any judge would quite agree. You may not realise it, but if you have to move out because of this you are within your rights to sue the landlord for constructive eviction. Whether you'd want to go down that road is up to you. In any event, as advised by others, speak to Citizen's Advice.

RalKram
18-02-09, 00:15
Their behaviour is unreasonable and I'm sure any judge would quite agree. You may not realise it, but if you have to move out because of this you are within your rights to sue the landlord for constructive eviction. Whether you'd want to go down that road is up to you. In any event, as advised by others, speak to Citizen's Advice.

The only problem is, we havn't signed an agreement which stated the rent was only supposed to be 650. We had signed an original agreement, which ran out last september. Since then we havn't renewed it, but have still been living there paying the same as we always have. We didn't want to sign another agreement until we'd found someone to move in with us. Well, we've been talking to people all week about moving in, and we'd found someone who was really interested. He wants to move in, despite the fact things will now be more expensive than we told him in the first place. It's just that, i myself and my other flatmate cant afford to keep living there for 325 a month. The only reason we had done it in the first place was for a limited time until we found someone else to move in, because then the rent would have gone back down to 250 a month.

So, it was 250 per person a month when myself and two friends lived there (750 total) Then one of my friends moved out and the rent went up to 325 each for me and the other friend (which was a 100 discount, to help while we looked for another person) and now that we've found another person, they turn around and slam 350 onto the total rent. So, now it costs 325 per person for the rent, even when there's 3 people living there! Crazy! But it's not like they are breaking an agreement, because we hadn't resigned a second contract. So, technically they're entitled to do that i think. It just sucks, big time.

Neteru
18-02-09, 00:25
It doesn't matter, you have certain rights as tenants, whether you've signed anything at all or not. A more reasonable approach from them would be to have given you reasonable notice. The fact they haven't goes against them. Like I said, speak to Citizen's Advice. You may well find you'll have to move out anyway, and forget about it, rather than try to live with any legal matters.

Rai
18-02-09, 01:04
It is totally outrageous your landlord has increased the rent by so much and without warning. Surely they must at least stick within inflation?

The only advice I can offer is what others have given you, go to the local council and the Citizen's Advice. If your Landlord is properly registered, there would be laws they have to follow. They can only up the rent to a reasonable amount and with good reason.

Squibbly
18-02-09, 01:12
I strongly recommend you speak with someone. I'm not sure what they would be called in your country, but here they're called Tenancy Rights Lawyers, and often you can get information for free (I had to contact them when I lived in my previous apartment).

How could that rent increase even be legal? I've dealt with very shady landlords in the past, and I definitely suggest you speak to someone about this. That is a ridiculous amount to be increased at once with such short notice, especially after they told you your rent would decrease!

400 alone converts into dollars how much my rent is per month, let alone the money total you have to pay now. You're really getting ripped off and you need to talk to someone! That is WRONG.