PDA

View Full Version : Toddler weds dog to defeat tiger curse

Phys
18-02-09, 13:08
Are you kidding me? :confused::vlol:

Toddler weds dog to defeat tiger curse
http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/Article.aspx?cp-documentID=14321257

Members of an eastern Indian tribe have married off a toddler to a female dog in a bid to prevent his predicted death at the hands of a tiger.

Parents of the groom, 18-month-old Sangula Munda, were advised to arrange the marriage when they noticed a tooth growing from their infant son's upper gum.

Community elders in Orissa state’s Jaipur district believed the tooth was a bad omen suggesting that the toddler was destined to be killed in a tiger attack. According to tribal tradition, his grisly fate could be prevented by marrying a dog.

Life’s a *****, then you marry one

The weird wedding was conducted at a Hindu temple with all the rituals associated with a traditional marriage ceremony. The canine bride, who sported two silver rings and a silver chain, was even given a dowry.

According to the boy's father Sanrumula Munda, Sangula will still be able to marry properly when older.

Superstition is still a potent force in tribal and remote communities of India.

Rivendell
18-02-09, 13:10
:eek: wowww.

Thorir
18-02-09, 13:11
That's something to show your grandchildren, I guess... http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/Kamihana/Smiley/inquisitive.gif

violentblossom
18-02-09, 13:19
*beats herself over the head with a lamp*

this planet and its societies are going crazy..

Mad Tony
18-02-09, 13:23
LOL!

Not like this anything new though.

Smog
18-02-09, 13:44
Are you sure this wasn't just a dream...?

Goose
18-02-09, 13:46
The dog will be more then likely dead by the time the todlers old enough to marry anyway, doesnt make any sense, but its pretty harmless. Dogs can be quite maternal with very young kids.

Chocola teapot
18-02-09, 13:51
AHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAHA! lmao

rowanlim
18-02-09, 13:52
This may be weird to us, but it's a part of another culture. This is pretty tame compared to initiation rites by Amazon tribes, where it's tradition to wrap hands in woven leaves & let ants bite until there's no sensation left.

Ada the Mental
18-02-09, 13:53
Okaaaay. http://i40.************/wmgxz4.gif
I remember reading about something similar to this before, but I can't recall the details.

(And, no, I'm not talking about that dude who married a pinneaple! :p :vlol:)

Chocola teapot
18-02-09, 14:09
^ no way Im not googling that!
Edit: I just did and Im in utterhysterics over the pineapple wedding! LMAO

Larapink
18-02-09, 14:19
What the...:eek:

Why say it's a tribe though? That confuses me, thats like a stereotype. Thats totally a different culture to have there "tribes", it's unrelated to India. The person who wrote this article is ignorant. That just gets me mad..:mad:

In India we don't have tribes or that have that sort of culture, it must be just believed by a small village.

robm_2007
18-02-09, 14:56
OMG:vlol::hea:

laralover_07
18-02-09, 15:02
I have lots of teeth in my top gum.

O noes!! :(

Jo269976
18-02-09, 15:48
...what http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s19/westlife_board/confused-smiley-007.gif

spikejones
18-02-09, 16:18
wow !
I surely hope he wasn't made to consummate that marriage :yik:

Tihocan9
18-02-09, 16:21
I am doubting this is as big of a deal as you all are making it out to be I am sure they aren't going to act like real spouses and honestly you all (well most of you) seem so eager to jump on their culture and rip it to shreds. This is the reason their are wars, people that blindly judge a culture and bother trying to accept it.

Mad Tony
18-02-09, 16:22
I am doubting this is as big of a deal as you all are making it out to be I am sure they aren't going to act like real spouses and honestly you all (well most of you) seem so eager to jump on their culture and rip it to shreds. This is the reason their are wars, people that blindly judge a culture and bother trying to accept it.Most wars are normally fought over political ideals, land and/or resources, not something like this.

"Someone in India married a dog, let's declare war on India!". Lol, can you imagine that ever happening?

Tihocan9
18-02-09, 16:27
Most wars are normally fought over political ideals, land and/or resources, not something like this.

"Someone in India married a dog, let's declare war on India!". Lol, can you imagine that ever happening?

I don't believe I said wars will start because of this...

I meant this is a small scale of that. This is just a failure to see a people's culture and beliefs. On the large scale it is political leaders who fail to see past cultural differences and all they see if someone with a different belief than they have and they attack them for it. Whether it be religious or political differences.

Larapink
18-02-09, 16:37
Well that's not going to happen, remember the days of the British Raj? :D

Well this is very unusual, because it's not in our culture or religions, the two main religions are Hinduism and Sikhism and this has nothing to do with our religion or cluture. I am a Sikh.

I am finding this hard to understand, and being Indian myself.

But I just can't stand the ignorance of the author, I don't know who they are refering to because if it is India then atleast say Asia because we are Asian too.

I meant this is a small scale of that. This is just a failure to see a people's culture and beliefs. On the large scale it is political leaders who fail to see past cultural differences and all they see if someone with a different belief than they have and they attack them for it. Whether it be religious or political differences.
Yeah exactly and thanks. :hug:

spikejones
18-02-09, 16:38
well.. I only see one post by [name deleted] that I could possibly see as having any malicious intent towards the society in which this took place. the rest of us simply stated that it was a bit odd or funny. We're not really "ripping it to shreds" with comments of prejudice or cultural oppression.

:confused:

But I just can't stand the ignorance of the author, I don't know who they are refering to because if it is India then atleast say Asia because we are Asian too.

for that matter, why not just say "the world". after all, we are all inhabitants of the world.

Larapink
18-02-09, 16:42
We're not really "ripping it to shreds" with comments of prejudice or cultural oppression.

:confused:
Well I am Indian from Asia and I wanted to say something, because I thought it needed to be said.

But like I just said:

Well this is very unusual, because it's not in our culture or religions, the two main religions are Hinduism and Sikhism and this has nothing to do with our religion or cluture. I am a Sikh.

I am finding this hard to understand, and being Indian myself.

Tihocan9
18-02-09, 16:43
well.. I only see one post by [name deleted] that I could possibly see as having any malicious intent towards the society in which this took place. the rest of us simply stated that it was a bit odd or funny. We're not really "ripping it to shreds" with comments of prejudice or cultural oppression..

Ok, so I went a little over when I said that, but I find it strange some people can go and complain in other threads about how people judge them so fast and then they go off and do the same exact thing.

Mad Tony
18-02-09, 16:43
I don't see what you're angry at, Larapink :confused:

AmericanAssassin
18-02-09, 16:46
Some of the cultures in this world are so ridiculous. That's straight up crazy. :p

Larapink
18-02-09, 16:47
for that matter, why not just say "the world". after all, we are all inhabitants of the world.
Yeah that's even better than singling out people, because that isn't fair.

Ok, so I went a little over when I said that, but I find it strange some people can go and complain in other threads about how people judge them so fast and then they go off and do the same exact thing.
Don't worry I agree with what you have said. :)

I don't see what you're angry at, Larapink :confused:
I just don't like how we have been mentioned, because it's not what we do.

Mad Tony
18-02-09, 16:48
Which bit exactly? I'm still confused?

Tihocan9
18-02-09, 16:49
We're not really "ripping it to shreds" with comments of prejudice or cultural oppression.

Some of the cultures in this world are so ridiculous. That's straight up crazy. :p

I rest my case

Don't worry I agree with what you have said. :)

Thank you :)

Larapink
18-02-09, 16:49
Which bit exactly? I'm still confused?
"Easten Indian tribe" It's ridiculous.

What do you mean? :confused:

Mad Tony
18-02-09, 16:50
So one person calling another culture ridiculous means we're all prejudiced against them?

@Larapink: What's to say they weren't an Eastern Indian tribe? If they were a tribe and they happened to live in the east of India, that makes them an Eastern Indian tribe. :confused:

Larapink
18-02-09, 16:54
So one person calling another culture ridiculous means we're all prejudiced against them?
No the term is used in the wrong way, IF they are refering to Indians from Asia just say India. Simple, don't need to add that rubbish part "easten indian tribe" part because that's rubbish.

But honestly the act of this is strange.

Dark Lugia 2
18-02-09, 16:55
I dont think the author is ignorant larapink, he/she said tribe :p i can understand why youd be upset if he just generalized, but saying tribe ensures people know it was just a tribe thing (XD) :p If they put indian instead, youd be faced with lots of generalizations about Indian people

Reminds me of the stor of when a man married a dog :o

Mad Tony
18-02-09, 16:56
No the term is used in the wrong way, IF they are refering to Indians from Asia just say India. Simple, don't need to add that rubbish part "easten indian tribe" part because that's rubbish.

But honestly the act of this is strange.I'm sorry, I still don't understand how you can be offended by that if the tribe was actually from the east of India. All they're doing is giving details. It's like when you hear of a murder in the news. They always say something like "[insert name here] was killed by a man from East London."

Tihocan9

No, I thought it would be obvious that I was referring to those who were being prejudice against them and not to those who weren't.

AmericanAssassin
Some of you are just trying to start drama right now. :rolleyes: That is ridiculous, and if you disagree, you're an idiot. Period. ;)

I have not been prejudice in any way. I've been sane...

Larapink
18-02-09, 16:59
I dont think the author is ignorant larapink, he/sh said tribe :p i can understand why youd be upset if he just generalised, but saying tribe ensures people know it was just a tribe thing (XD) :p
We don't have tribes in India, lol.

So it's the author trying to generalise Indians from Asia and thats what I don't like.

I'm sorry, I still don't understand how you can be offended by that if the tribe was actually from the east of India. All they're doing is giving details. It's like when you hear of a murder in the news. They always say something like "[insert name here] was killed by a man from East London."
Because we don't have tribes lol, also I am unsure if it's even about us. I think I am just getting worked up over nothing.

No, I thought it would be obvious that I was referring to those who were being prejudice against them and not to those who weren't.
Yeah same.

Mad Tony
18-02-09, 17:01
Because we don't have tribes lol, also I am unsure if it's even about us. I think I am just getting worked up over nothing.What makes you think India doesn't? It's a pretty big country you know. The article isn't even about "Indian people" it's just about the people in India from that particular tribe. The author wasn't stereotyping all Indians as being like that.

spikejones
18-02-09, 17:02
I rest my case

Thank you :)
hey... I can not be held accountable for a person who jumped in to make a comment which is a true example of what you were falsely accusing us of before. And perhaps you fail to see that the comment was most likely made for the purpose of showing that you were being ridiculous in your initial accusations.

there is a huge leap between saying "that is odd", "that is funny", or "I don't understand" and saying "Some of the cultures in this world are so ridiculous." or "*beats herself over the head with a lamp* this planet and its societies are going crazy.."

however... you said:
"you all (well most of you) seem so eager to jump on their culture and rip it to shreds"

Fact is that most of us are not attacking anyone, we are quit simply stating our incredulity. I for one would say the same thing if it happened in my own city. And most likely everyone else would as well.

Larapink
18-02-09, 17:03
What makes you think India doesn't? It's a pretty big country you know. The article isn't even about "Indian people" it's just about the people in India from that particular tribe. The author wasn't stereotyping all Indians as being like that.
I think you have missed what I said, I am Indian and everyone in India believes in the religions in India as Hinduism and Sikhism being the bigest religons there. We don't have tribes, outside of there citys there are more villages.

TRhalloween
18-02-09, 17:03
This kind of stuff doesn't surprise me anymore.

It's like "Hey, this toddler was wedded to a dog to prevent being killed by a tiger"

"Oh really? hm..."

Tihocan9
18-02-09, 17:04
That is ridiculous, and if you disagree, you're an idiot. Period. ;)

No, its a superstition that society says is ridiculous. To the people who believe in it, it is normal. I have not said that I agree with a child marrying an animal, all I am trying to get across is that you should not call one groups beliefs ridiculous just because they don't make sense to you. I am sorry if you disagree but that is only my opinion.

hey... I can not be held accountable for a person who jumped in to make a comment which is a true example of what you were falsely accusing us of before. And perhaps you fail to see that the comment was most likely made for the purpose of showing that you were being ridiculous in your initial accusations.

there is a huge leap between saying "that is odd", "that is funny", or "I don't understand" and saying "Some of the cultures in this world are so ridiculous." or "*beats herself over the head with a lamp* this planet and its societies are going crazy.."

however... you said:
"you all (well most of you) seem so eager to jump on their culture and rip it to shreds"

Fact is that most of us are not attacking anyone, we are quit simply stating our incredulity. I for one would say the same thing if it happened in my own city. And most likely everyone else would as well.

I really don't understand why you are taking what I said so seriously, I wasn't joking but it is nothing to get into a fight about. All I meant to get across was that you shouldn't judge them for their beliefs, because they are not hurting anyone.

Dark Lugia 2
18-02-09, 17:05
We don't have tribes in India, lol.

So it's the author trying to generalise Indians from Asia and thats what I don't like.

Because we don't have tribes lol, also I am unsure if it's even about us. I think I am just getting worked up over nothing.

Yeah same.

Oh right :p Now I remember there are many many countries around India in Asia, i don't think the author meant to be offensive though. :P And I think every country has tribes :p in some places haha

AmericanAssassin
18-02-09, 17:08
Oh, please. :rolleyes: I'm so sick if that word: Opinion. To you people everything is opinion. Opinion. Opinion. I think they're ridiculous, and I don't care what anybody thinks about me. Ridiculous. Ridiculous. Ridiculous. Looks, I just stated my "opinion" on the matter. :p

spikejones
18-02-09, 17:09
I think you have missed what I said, I am Indian and everyone in India believes in the religions in India as Hinduism and Sikhism being the bigest religons there. We don't have tribes, outside of there citys there are more villages.
well I don't profess to have any knowledge of any place other than the United States, but I see this as being somewhat analogous to the statement "I am an American and everyone in America believes in Christianity." that statement is quite erroneous. We have non believers, we have agnostics, we have people of many religions here. I can't even say we have no tribes here either.. We most certainly do have Indian (Native American) tribes here.

Not to sound demeaning, but I wonder if you truly know everything about India and all of its sub-cultures?

Larapink
18-02-09, 17:12
Not to sound demeaning, but I wonder if you truly know everything about India and all of its sub-cultures?
Of course I truly know alot about India and all of it's sub-cultures, which none of this curse thing appears in. So what if I was born in the UK and I am British. I still know alot about where I come from because I was taught never to forget where I am from ever. Because thats whats most important it's my identity.

Mad Tony
18-02-09, 17:18
The thing is though, you can't just claim India has absolutely no tribes whatsoever because it most probably does. Out of the billion people who live there, don't you think there's gotta be some tribes out in the middle of nowhere?

spikejones
18-02-09, 17:23
^indeed.. the article did say "remote tribes"

while they may not be present in the big cities, what about the sticks? if one had never traveled into those areas, one may never know of their existence.

sticks:

sticks Informal

A remote area; backwoods: moved to the sticks.
A city or town regarded as dull or unsophisticated.

Lee croft
18-02-09, 17:44
Are you kidding me? :confused::vlol:

Life’s a *****, then you marry one

I]

ROFL!!!... i mean err... thats mean that poor doggy animal cruelty

Phys
18-02-09, 19:18
ROFL!!!... i mean err... thats mean that poor doggy animal cruelty

I must admit, the 'Life's a *****, then you marry one' did make me laugh xD

ShadyCroft
18-02-09, 19:23
That's quite some strangely interesting news. I may find it funny, stupid, something I don't think I'd attempt at doing, but who am to say...I may not have full understanding of the issue.

corey01
18-02-09, 20:12
omggg thats so stupid, :vlol:

sandygrimm
18-02-09, 20:14
I told you guys... THis world just gets stupider by the day
this is just incredible..this isn't funny anymore.. this is really sad

Biddy
18-02-09, 20:14
Wow. Just...wow.

Agent 47
18-02-09, 20:40
No, its a superstition that society says is ridiculous. To the people who believe in it, it is normal. I have not said that I agree with a child marrying an animal, all I am trying to get across is that you should not call one groups beliefs ridiculous just because they don't make sense to you. I am sorry if you disagree but that is only my opinion.

I really don't understand why you are taking what I said so seriously, I wasn't joking but it is nothing to get into a fight about. All I meant to get across was that you shouldn't judge them for their beliefs, because they are not hurting anyone.

i'll say what you haven't, western culture has a habit of acting and behaving like a moral crusader and also superior to everyone else.

how is this story any different to, lets say garlic warding off vampires? it's superstiton, and every culture has them and deals with them accordingly. yes it's bizzare to us but not to them. it's wrong judge their beliefs imo ;)

voltz
18-02-09, 20:47
I really don't know what to say about any of this.

Eddie Guerrero12
18-02-09, 20:58
I told you guys... THis world just gets stupider by the day
this is just incredible..this isn't funny anymore.. this is really sad

Yeah I agree with you. These things dont really suprise me anymore.:(

xXhayleyroxXx
18-02-09, 21:40
i'm not really suprised by it, but still i kinda feel sorry for the toddler, this is on his reputation now and he had no say in the matter due to his age.

Lemmie
18-02-09, 21:42
I think it's charming. They wanted to protect him against a future tiger attack, they did what they believed they had to do - he can marry someone else in the future anyway.

There's no problem as I see it. The story (not the article) is kind of sweet. :)

spikejones
18-02-09, 21:51
i'll say what you haven't, western culture has a habit of acting and behaving like a moral crusader and also superior to everyone else.

how is this story any different to, lets say garlic warding off vampires? it's superstiton, and every culture has them and deals with them accordingly. yes it's bizzare to us but not to them. it's wrong judge their beliefs imo ;)
i think its wrong to judge people who say "that is funny" as being a moral crusader. and by the way, I find all superstitions to be odd or funny. but that is not a sleight against the people who hold them.

Agent 47
18-02-09, 22:10
i think its wrong to judge people who say "that is funny" as being a moral crusader. and by the way, I find all superstitions to be odd or funny. but that is not a sleight against the people who hold them.

finding something funny is all fine and dandy, nothing wrong with that. it's the belittling of a belief that is wrong.

btw, that post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular :D it is a funny story, but i won't slam it.

MattTR
18-02-09, 22:20
Now that's just freakky.. :eek:

Next thing we know an 8 year old is going to be sent to space to prevent Global Warming.. :rolleyes:

Rai
18-02-09, 22:52
Okay, I Google Mapped Jaiper, Orrissa, India and it looks like it is a city or large town, would there really be 'tribes' there? If there are tribes at all in India, I'd imagine them to be in isolated areas away from towns. I think the author of the article may be misinformed. I don't know much about India and the religions, but I also read that the inhabitants of Jaiper are Hindu and Christian. Don't know how factual this is.

About this toddler and his marriage to the dog. Maybe it is a particularly secluded Sect or something rather than a tribe, but this marriage is most likely a ritual to guard the boy from a superstition. It is symbolic perhaps rather than an actual marriage. It says the boy will be free to marry normally when he is older. he isn't being harmed in any way and will be brought up to respect his religion and to understand the superstition and respect it.

Finding out about cultural superstitions and beliefs is fascinating to me. I apologise for any mistakes I have made and if I offend anyone. It isn't my intention. If someone would care to explain, then I'd be happy to listen. :)

Little-Lara
19-02-09, 02:06
*beats herself over the head with a lamp*

this planet and its societies are going crazy..

LOL. Actually it's quite the opposite. This particular society chose not to adapt to modern culture. India is a vast, vast, VAST country and it's social practices differ just as vastly from one area to another.

Interesting read though.

spikejones
19-02-09, 02:12
Okay, I Google Mapped Jaiper, Orrissa, India and it looks like it is a city or large town, would there really be 'tribes' there? If there are tribes at all in India, I'd imagine them to be in isolated areas away from towns. I think the author of the article may be misinformed. I don't know much about India and the religions, but I also read that the inhabitants of Jaiper are Hindu and Christian. Don't know how factual this is.

About this toddler and his marriage to the dog. Maybe it is a particularly secluded Sect or something rather than a tribe, but this marriage is most likely a ritual to guard the boy from a superstition. It is symbolic perhaps rather than an actual marriage. It says the boy will be free to marry normally when he is older. he isn't being harmed in any way and will be brought up to respect his religion and to understand the superstition and respect it.

Finding out about cultural superstitions and beliefs is fascinating to me. I apologise for any mistakes I have made and if I offend anyone. It isn't my intention. If someone would care to explain, then I'd be happy to listen. :)
apparently they have their own website as well:
http://jajpur.nic.in/index.htm
and they spell i jajpur apparently. and it seems I saw somewhere on google that it was west India and not east India as the article stated (as if the two are separate anyhow:confused:).

Angelus
19-02-09, 02:17
Now that's just freakky.. :eek:

Next thing we know an 8 year old super hero is going to be sent to space by the President to prevent Global Warming with his superhuman powers.. :rolleyes:

:whi:

Ikas90
19-02-09, 03:08
EPIC sadness.

For crying out loud, give me a break. :p Superstitions still dominate people's lives. :rolleyes:

erosan
19-02-09, 03:15
yet one more reason that makes me just give up on humanity...
Sigh.

Tidus
19-02-09, 07:05
We can't justly criticize this tribe...I'm certain that our custums would be just as strange and abnormal to them as theirs are to us. If we spend our time alienating and calling them things such as odd and savage (and this holds true for all cultures of course) then we can have no hope for communication and understanding across cultural barriers. Instead try to understand that our culture is normal only for us, and that normality is relative.

MiCkiZ88
19-02-09, 10:41

Agreed. Especially with the bolded. Though I do think that is with pretty much every culture. They think they are better than the rest of the world. Actually.. that's pretty much the human nature for you.

I do find it a bit silly, but it's none of my business what they do. :)

Hermina94
19-02-09, 12:28
that news made my day