PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Questionairre

RaidLaraLover
18-02-09, 19:44
Hello Everyone,

Being a student I am posting here to ask if you could fill in a questionairre. THIS BIT is worth reading; firstly, the section for adults is for adults - if you're not one it's not for you, if you are go ahead (but fill in the rest also). Secondly, if you have any queries, don't understand anything, then send me a PM or post on this thread.

Many thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Questionairre On Entertainment

1) Gender: Male Female

2) Age: 0-10 11-16 17-21 22-30 31-45 46-59 60+

3) How many hours a week, on average, do you:

a) Watch Movies:

b) Play Video Game:

c) Read Books:

d) Watch TV:

4) Do you think that storylines are as important in video games as in films or books? Yes No

Please Comment:

5) Do you think that books are more or less adult in content (sex, violence) as Films/TV/Video Games? More Less

6) Would the inclusion of adult content make you want to purchase a product more? Yes No

7) Why?

8) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed negatively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? Please state which entertainment formats you believe this could occur in;

9) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed positively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? Please state which entertainment formats you believe this could occur in;

10) Please comment further on the effects that entertainment formats have on your morals and beliefs, especially if you feel they donít have an effect:

11) Do you think Films, Books or Games could affect anyone else negatively? Please state which entertainment formats you believe this could occur in;

12) Do you think the excess of adult content in modern media (Films, TV, Books, Video Games) is being exaggerated by the press? Please state yes or no and provide a comment;

13) If you believe they are exaggerating, about which entertainment format(s)?

TO ADULTS

a) Do you have children? If yes, what gender + age are they?
b) If you have children do you supervise them when using entertainment (TV, Film, Video Games)?
c) Do you worry about your children accessing any adult material?
d) Do you think your parents worried the same, less or more about your access to inappropriate material? Why?
e) For a young child (or your youngest child) what age rating would be the maximum you would allow?
f) Do you believe current regulations are adequate, and could you comment on possible changes?
g) How much time do you/would you restrict your children to, if any, on;

TV

Film

Video Games

Reading

h) Which medium makes you worry most for your childrenís safety out of Films, TV, Video Games and Books?
i) Why?

Punaxe
18-02-09, 20:16

1) Gender: Male

2) Age: 22-30

a) Watch Movies: 45 mins (I guess one movie every two weeks or so)

b) Play Video Game: 10 hours

c) Read Books: 2 hours (currently - depends on time I have and whether or not I have an interesting book. Excludes books I read for school)

d) Watch TV: 9 hours (downloaded TV series, news, some random stuff that's on. Excludes movies I see on TV, put that at a)

4) Do you think that storylines are as important in video games as in films or books? No

Please Comment: Gameplay is what counts. The two games I play most are DOOM and Tetris. Rules and goals make a game. Storyline is additional.

5) Do you think that books are more or less adult in content (sex, violence) as Films/TV/Video Games? Less

For books it is much harder to be "adult": being adult in visuals (simply depicting "adult" stuff) is much easier than in written word.

6) Would the inclusion of adult content make you want to purchase a product more? No

7) Why?

I cannot deny that when entertainment contains sexy women or so it has a certain (additional) appeal to me, but sexy women alone are not "adult". Adding X-rated stuff to general entertainment is too much, and turns me away.

8) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed negatively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? Please state which entertainment formats you believe this could occur in;

No.

9) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed positively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? Please state which entertainment formats you believe this could occur in;

The books I read are non-fiction. They provide me with better understanding of the world. This is always a positive influence. This however, is not entertainment, so I have to say no.

10) Please comment further on the effects that entertainment formats have on your morals and beliefs, especially if you feel they don’t have an effect:

I realize entertainment is just entertainment. I always project my own beliefs and morals onto the entertainment I watch, not the other way around.

11) Do you think Films, Books or Games could affect anyone else negatively? Please state which entertainment formats you believe this could occur in;

Yes, I believe it is possible in all formats, but only in a special kind of people that I may classify as unstable, disconnected from the real world, or stupid. I do not blame entertainment itself for these changes, I believe the just-mentioned underlying causes should be addressed, or otherwise the person should actively be kept from such influences.

12) Do you think the excess of adult content in modern media (Films, TV, Books, Video Games) is being exaggerated by the press? Please state yes or no and provide a comment;

I do not hear much about it in the press, so no.

TO ADULTS

I'm an adult, but I do not have children :p

a) Do you have children? If yes, what gender + age are they?
b) If you have children do you supervise them when using entertainment (TV, Film, Video Games)?
d) Do you think your parents worried the same, less or more about your access to inappropriate material? Why?
e) For a young child (or your youngest child) what age rating would be the maximum you would allow?
f) Do you believe current regulations are adequate, and could you comment on possible changes?
g) How much time do you/would you restrict your children to, if any, on;

TV

Film

Video Games

Reading

h) Which medium makes you worry most for your children’s safety out of Films, TV, Video Games and Books?
i) Why?

VonCroy360
18-02-09, 20:20

2) Age: 17-21

a) Watch Movies: 5
b) Play Video Game: 5
c) Read Books: 5
d) Watch TV: 10

4) Do you think that storylines are as important in video games as in films or books? No

Please Comment: I do think that storylines are important in video games and I love games with good storylines, but movies and books completely rely on the storyline, while gameplay is another extremely important part of video games.

5) Do you think that books are more or less adult in content (sex, violence) as Films/TV/Video Games? Less

6) Would the inclusion of adult content make you want to purchase a product more? No

7) Why? I don't believe violence itself is something that makes a film or a video game better. I don't avoid violence, but violence with no real reason (in the storyline) is something I don't find interesting.

8) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed negatively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? No.

9) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed positively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? No.

10) Please comment further on the effects that entertainment formats have on your morals and beliefs, especially if you feel they don’t have an effect:
I don't believe entertainment is something that can effect anyone's moral, especially cause it's just that - entertainment. Books or films can make you think about your morals or beliefs, but then it's your thoughts that changed your morals - not just cause a book or a film told you to do so. Take a person who reads a lot and the one who doesn't read at all, or a gamer and a person who never touched a gamepad in their life - I don't believe their beliefs and morals necessarily differ because of that.

11) Do you think Films, Books or Games could affect anyone else negatively? I don't.

12) Do you think the excess of adult content in modern media (Films, TV, Books, Video Games) is being exaggerated by the press?
Yes. A child that is violent can't just be violent 'cause they played a violent video game. There are millions of people playing the most famous video games and not many of them are violent.

Video games most of the time, although I find them exaggerating about films and TV programmes as well.

CerebralAssassin
18-02-09, 20:24

a) Watch Movies: 0-5

b) Play Video Game: 0 (I need a new PC for this,my current one ain't fast enough,and I don't have a console)

c) Read Books: 15-30

d) Watch TV: 0

Please Comment:

5) Do you think that books are more or less adult in content (sex, violence) as Films/TV/Video Games? it depends on what book and what film you are talking about.Stephen King (the books) for example...yeah...not exactly for the faint of heart if ya catch my drift...

6) Would the inclusion of adult content make you want to purchase a product more? Yes

7) Why? cause I like sex and I like violence!!:D

8) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed negatively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? Please state which entertainment formats you believe this could occur in; No.I don't think that films/books/games can make a person kill.you already have to be ****ed up in the head to do such a thing

9) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed positively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? Please state which entertainment formats you believe this could occur in;nah....my morality and the way I view the world remain constant...

10) Please comment further on the effects that entertainment formats have on your morals and beliefs, especially if you feel they donít have an effect:I don't think these things affect my morals and beliefs,only my mood lol!!

No

12) Do you think the excess of adult content in modern media (Films, TV, Books, Video Games) is being exaggerated by the press? yes. the media's only purpose is to give people a false sense of alarm (to get their news ratings up).you don't see the media talkin about the millions and millions of childrens' books/films/games do you?

13) If you believe they are exaggerating, about which entertainment format(s)? probably games the most

TO ADULTS

a) Do you have children? If yes, what gender + age are they? no
d) Do you think your parents worried the same, less or more about your access to inappropriate material? Why? they didn't worry much.but I turned out ok I guess...*goes to get butcher knife*:whi:

..j/k of course :D
e) For a young child (or your youngest child) what age rating would be the maximum you would allow? for what exactly?
f) Do you believe current regulations are adequate, and could you comment on possible changes? they are adequate
g) How much time do you/would you restrict your children to, if any, on;I don't like putting any limitations....as long as my child completes his school work or other chores he can do whatever he want's for as long as he likes

TV

Film

Video Games

Reading

h) Which medium makes you worry most for your childrenís safety out of Films, TV, Video Games and Books? nothin
i) Why?

Encore
18-02-09, 20:33

1) Gender: Female

a) Watch Movies: I'd say about 10-12 hours

b) Play Video Game: around 6-8 hours

c) Read Books: around 10 hours

d) Watch TV: very little, I'd say maybe 3 hours

4) Do you think that storylines are as important in video games as in films or books?
No

Please Comment:

5) Do you think that books are more or less adult in content (sex, violence) as Films/TV/Video Games?
That totally depends on the book of course, there are mature books as well.

6) Would the inclusion of adult content make you want to purchase a product more?
No

7) Why?
I don't think it makes any diference in the quality of the product, it's not being mature that makes it better or worse.

No.

Yes, by certain movies and books, but only those as I believe it's the formats where it's easier to convey a deep lasting message.

I believe I'm old enough to sort out the negative messages in these things and see them as irony, sarcasm or just a plain artistic choice, so they don't have any impact on my beliefs. However if I see a positive message or just an interesting thoughtful idea it can affect them in the sense that it "opens" my mind to new perspectives.

Yes, I think teenagers/children with psychological problems might be affected negatively by mature content in either of those formats (but less by books since they don't read many :p).

Yes I think they exagerate it; while I think mature content is a bit over the top in certain products, I don't think that by itself is such a serious problem as they make it to be.

Specially about video games, but also films and TV. Not as much about books.

TO ADULTS

(despite being an adult I can't answer these questions because I don't have any children. duh :p)

ShadyCroft
18-02-09, 21:00

a) Watch Movies: 0 - 5

b) Play Video Game: 0-3

c) Read Books: 10

d) Watch TV: Probably 2 hours....TV sucks !

Please Comment: In video games, game play is more important by miles simply because video games are made to experience it. A good story along with it wont do any harm, as long as it doesn't over-shadow the game play. Good stories are experienced and are more important in movies because, well, that's all you can do and watch during a movie.

5) Do you think that books are more or less adult in content (sex, violence) as Films/TV/Video Games? Not entirely true. I have come across books with quite heavy adult content.

7) Why? Because it not the only thing that makes a product worth purchasing or good.

8) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed negatively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? I suppose it could change someone's morals and beliefs if they get extremely into it, but you can also find those indifferent individuals and those who may get more open-minded about the presented topics but sill don't do anything bad. It depends on the individual and I think a precaution can't go wrong.

9) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed positively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? Yes, you may get positive beliefs and morals from a book, movie or game if the content of those is positive in the first place

They may or may not have effects. As said previously, it depends on the individual. See answer for question 8.

11) Do you think Films, Books or Games could affect anyone else negatively?

Same as before, it depends...

Yes and no. Yes in that it's not the only thing that can have bad influence as the media keeps stating, and no because sometimes the amount of adult content in a product is way over the top.

Video games mostly.

TO ADULTS

No children. :D

Trigger_happy
18-02-09, 22:22

a) Watch Movies: about 2

b) Play Video Game: about 6

c) Read Books: 3

d) Watch TV: 5

4) Do you think that storylines are as important in video games as in films or books? Yes

Please Comment:

5) Do you think that books are more or less adult in content (sex, violence) as Films/TV/Video Games? More: they can cover much more adult themes and get away with it- books are probably the least censored media. However, its also seen as the most adult: games are seen as kids things.

7) Why? If I'm going to buy something, it because of the features it already has. I'm not more likely to buy something just because they added 50% more boobs or its the "swearing edition".

8) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed negatively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? Please state which entertainment formats you believe this could occur in; No, I don't believe that media and entertainment can change my moral values. Those are decided by my interaction with actual people around me, not fictional characters on a screen.

9) Do you think your morals and beliefs are changed positively (if at all) by TV, Films, Books or Games? Please state which entertainment formats you believe this could occur in; Yes. Documentaries can be especially good, shedding light on an otherwise hidden subject. Also, they are a good form of reaching out to younger generations.

I feel that things like games have been simply used by the media as a scapegoat for the failings of the Govt. and parents. Its these things, not what video games you play, or what films you watch, that make you the person you are.

If an individual is not mentally sound, anything and / or everything could have a negative effect on their moral values. Films and video games could give them idas, while books could increase their distressed imagination.

Yes. Its people like Jack Thompson who are simply using new media as a scapegoat. It can't defend itself, and it means you don't have to blame yourself.

Mostly video games.

Hope that helps!