PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis?

Goose
20-02-09, 08:43
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2255989.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01318/googleocean_1318154c.jpg
THIS is the amazing image which could show the fabled sunken city of Atlantis.

It shows a perfect rectangle the size of Wales lying on the bed of the Atlantic Ocean nearly 3 miles down.

A host of criss-crossing lines, looking like a map of a vast metropolis, are enclosed by the boundary.

They seem too vast and organised to be caused naturally.

And last night the possibility of an extraordinary discovery had oceanographers and geophysicists captivated.

The site lies 620 miles off the west coast of Africa near the Canary Islands — a location for Atlantis seemingly suggested by the ancient philosopher Plato.

He believed it was an island civilisation sunk by an earthquake and floods around 9,700BC — nearly 12,000 years ago.

The “grid” showed up on Google Ocean, a Google Earth extension that uses a combination of satellite images and marine surveys.

Last night Dr Charles Orser, curator of historical archaeology at New York State University — and one of the world’s leading authorities on Atlantis — called it “fascinating”.

He said: “The site is one of the most prominent places for the proposed location of Atlantis, as described by Plato. Even if it turns out to be geographical, this definitely deserves a closer look.”

The legend of Atlantis has captured the imagination of scholars for centuries.

And in the 1970s it spawned a hit TV series, Man From Atlantis, in which Patrick Duffy played a webbed hero who could live underwater.

Situated in an area called the Madeira Abyssal Plane, the grid was spotted by aeronautical engineer Bernie Bamford as he browsed through Google Ocean.

Bernie, 38, of Chester, said: “It looks like an aerial map of Milton Keynes. It must be man-made.”

Can find it on Google sea at: 31 15'15.53N 24 15'30.53W.

CerebralAssassin
20-02-09, 08:57
how an island can sink to the bottom of the ocean is beyond me....we have a tone of earthquakes in these tiny islands in Greece and I've yet to hear of any sinking...

and for all we know, those "grids" could have been naturally-made...

Rivendell
20-02-09, 08:57
That's pretty amazing, whatever it was!

Goose
20-02-09, 09:03
how an island can sink to the bottom of the ocean is beyond me....we have a tone of earthquakes in these tiny islands in Greece and I've yet to hear of any sinking...

Yea thats true, but it is the size of wales.....

Quasimodo
20-02-09, 09:07

Perhaps Atlantis was built on a man-made island, perhaps with stones and sand like the Palm Islands in Dubai. The Palm Islands had to be carefully constructed and maintained to keep storm waters and tectonic movements from simply 'melting' them away.

Thorir
20-02-09, 09:41
Very interesting... :)

Goose
20-02-09, 09:51
Whoever photographed that in the first place is a noob, its the size of wales and they didn't notice?

Even if theres no-one watching the satellite, they should still have had to check it when placing it all together for the program.

Zebra
20-02-09, 10:02

Ever heard of the sunken parts of Alexandria? Whole ancient districts of the city are underwater.

Goose
20-02-09, 10:23
After 11,000 years, there not going to find much are they really? If theres anything to find.

CerebralAssassin
20-02-09, 10:24
Perhaps Atlantis was built on a man-made island, perhaps with stones and sand like the Palm Islands in Dubai. The Palm Islands had to be carefully constructed and maintained to keep storm waters and tectonic movements from simply 'melting' them away.

I dunno...if these "grids" that they now found is actually Atlantis,then how the hell did they manage to build an artificial island the size of wales?I mean...even building the great Egyptian pyramids would seem like a walk in the park compared to that....

So...either the Atlanteans had a hell of a technology,or that's not Atlantis after all...or that grid is actually Atlantis but not an artificial island...or Atlantis has never existed in the first place....or maybe I'm gonna drive myself crazy with all these "or's"...:p

Quasimodo
20-02-09, 10:27
Alien technology :pi:

Perhaps it really is just some unique but natural geological formation.

Goose
20-02-09, 10:29
Places can sink, if its located on the edge of a plate that shifted, it could just disappear.

Get some people down there!

MiCkiZ88
20-02-09, 10:32
Places can sink, if its located on the edge of a plate that shifted, it could just disappear.

:tmb:

Really interesting find, thanks for sharing! If it really is it, then I do hope they would find at least something to prove it so we can end this bloody speculation about anything (where it is, how they lived, was it an island or what not..)

Draco
20-02-09, 10:55
Perhaps the city was built underwater?

CerebralAssassin
20-02-09, 11:02
the first to ever mention Atlantis was Plato...and he was claiming that Atlantis was a whole continent...an absurd idea of course....I think it's a made-up fantasy really

Gabi
20-02-09, 11:02
Time to get investigating.

Story of my life.

Edited! :ton:
And don't double post. :smk:

Draco
20-02-09, 11:05
the first to ever mention Atlantis was Plato...and he was claiming that Atlantis was a whole continent...an absurd idea of course....I think it's a made-up fantasy really

You have to take that into context. Back then a continent was any landmass that could have entire nations on them and still be unexplored.

Draco
20-02-09, 11:06
Time to go down and investigate.

Story of my life.

aileenwuornos
20-02-09, 11:13
Perhaps the city was built underwater?

Or perhaps its a sunken Stargate style Atlantis :ton:

M.A.
20-02-09, 11:13

And people at that time thinks the world is flat just because they can't reach "the edge". Who knows, maybe Atlantis was big enough a city that Plato considered it as a continent in his own opinion? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all.

Goose
20-02-09, 11:16
And people at that time thinks the world is flat just because they can't reach "the edge". Who knows, maybe Atlantis was big enough a city that Plato considered it as a continent in his own opinion? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all.

He never beheld it, he said it sank 9000 years before his time. It would be awesome if it was a city, but even then, it could be from any civilization.

M.A.
20-02-09, 11:26
He never beheld it, he said it sank 9000 years before his time. It would be awesome if it was a city, but even then, it could be from any civilization.

Oh, right. Forgot that Plato only relaying the tale, never beholding the city with his own eyes. Well, as I say - From rumor to myth to legend! :D

Hopefully somebody dives down to that spot pronto and see what they can find. Is there any TRF volunteers?:D Where's the Tomb Raider spirit? :D

Larapink
20-02-09, 11:31
That is interesting. :)

Dazzy
20-02-09, 11:36
I read this in the Sun, look's interesting. I always liked mystery about things, underwater worlds etc. I hope they discover what it is.

Goose
20-02-09, 11:38
I read this in the Sun, look's interesting. I always liked mystery about things, underwater worlds etc. I hope they discover what it is.

Yea they will, people who have the means would be rushing to it, i would say theres some money to be made being the first to check it out, national geographic, Discovery channel would all be paying for the info, lost city or not.

rickybazire
20-02-09, 12:39
Oh please have a look at it you divers!!

Ward Dragon
20-02-09, 12:47
Oh please have a look at it you divers!!

If they don't get there soon, we may have a plot for TR9 :p

MattTR
20-02-09, 12:49
I'm pretty sure that if Atlantis was real or around still.. we would have already found it. :p

Goose
20-02-09, 12:50
I'm pretty sure that if Atlantis was real or around still.. we would have already found it. :p

9000 years underwater would do some serious damage, add a few more thousand years and its even worse.

MattTR
20-02-09, 13:06
9000 years underwater would do some serious damage, add a few more thousand years and its even worse.

So either it's in too deep or it's disintegrated.. We can only hope, I just can't imagine how cool it would be to actually find real evidence Atlantis is out there, Tomb Raider no longer! :D

Dark Lugia 2
20-02-09, 13:07

People are still discovering tombs of mummies in Egypt, and new species of animals, so I'm not surprised. :p

Every time i see a story like this, they never do send divers down to explore! please do! :D

MattTR
20-02-09, 13:11
People are still discovering tombs of mummies in Egypt, and new species of animals, so I'm not surprised. :p

Every time i see a story like this, they never do send divers down to explore! please do! :D

It kind of makes me want to do it myself.. being an archaeologist can sometimes be very frustrated, it can sometimes take months or even years to find something I heard, but it's very rewarding learning about the past. :)

QiX
20-02-09, 13:16
Interesting, but oceanic charts like this one (http://www.gebco.net/data_and_products/gebco_world_map/images/gda_world_map_large.jpg) show nothing at all there (it's HUGE, I wanted to check this out in full details :p )
My conspiracy theory: Google faked it :cool:

Goose
20-02-09, 13:32
Interesting, but oceanic charts like this one (http://www.gebco.net/data_and_products/gebco_world_map/images/gda_world_map_large.jpg) show nothing at all there (it's HUGE, I wanted to check this out in full details :p )

Depends, the chart you showed wouldnt have it, it looks like a computer interpretation, and when you zoom in, your zooming into the same size picture, where as a zoom on Google map, is done by loading pictures that were really taken by the satellite at that level of magnification (which is why if you look at your house, unless its near something special, you cant use the max zoom as they didn't bother photographing it).

But it could well be fake, i doubt geologists would fall for it if it was though.

QiX
20-02-09, 14:34
I'm checking the site on Google Earth and I must admit, it's amazing indeed. And checking the surrounding areas you can see perfectly straight road like lines between this location and the Canary Islands and Madeira, one line even advancing towards Gibraltar and along the portuguese coast. There are more mysterious lines like these in the Barentsz, north from Norway, in an awesome geometrical pattern.
But I tend to be sceptic, so I found this map made by General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans project (http://www.gebco.net/) just as a "second opinion", as they seem to be more trustworthy than Google Earth. Too bad I didn't find a more specific map of the area in higher resolution, but following some links for better tools I found out that GEBCO actually provided the base ocean floor maps for Google Earth.
Anyway I'm downloading their software tool (available at the British Oceanographic Data Centre website (http://www.bodc.ac.uk/products/software_products/gebco_grid_display/)) to check if it will show Atlantis and these roads in better resolution. I'll keep you guys informed if I discover anything.

Now look at what you've done. You just awoke the obsessive compulsive side in me :D

Punaxe
20-02-09, 15:49
I'm assuming there'll be a research crew sent to that place, and I'll await their findings. Nature is perfectly capable of forming shapes that to us seem unnatural, even of the size of Wales. :p

But it is cool.

tombofwinston
20-02-09, 15:55
This could be the rising of (real world) natla :D

Changeling
20-02-09, 16:10
:yik: THE SEVENTH AGE IS UPON US! :yik:

Seriously though, that's a really cool find! :D I hope people go and investigate it, I'd love to finally find out once and for all if Atlantis was real or not!

Punaxe
20-02-09, 16:13

Seriously though, that's a really cool find! :D I hope people go and investigate it, I'd love to finally find out once and for all if Atlantis was real or not!

The final answer can only come if it's real. Otherwise, people will always say it's just not found yet. :p

Changeling
20-02-09, 19:54
The final answer can only come if it's real. Otherwise, people will always say it's just not found yet. :p

Ahh, wise words there Punaxe :p

Tonyrobinson
20-02-09, 20:06
I love the Atlantis myths I really hope this is it or atleast a sunken city :)

Lemmie
20-02-09, 20:31

Um, according to your chart, it is there.

Looks intriguing, whatever it is.

silver_wolf
20-02-09, 21:23
hmm....I'll remain skeptical. There've been too many "ZOMG ATLANTIS!!1!!" stories in the past for this one to stand out. Part of me hopes it isn't real. Somehow the discovery of the fabled city would ruin the myth....that and I've always wanted to discover it! :D
Oh, and for the mythical lost city, it's a bit underwhelming, isn't it? Not even a single pyramid :rolleyes:

Lemmie
20-02-09, 21:33
hmm....I'll remain skeptical. There've been too many "ZOMG ATLANTIS!!1!!" stories in the past for this one to stand out. Part of me hopes it isn't real. Somehow the discovery of the fabled city would ruin the myth....that and I've always wanted to discover it! :D
Oh, and for the mythical lost city, it's a bit underwhelming, isn't it? Not even a single pyramid :rolleyes:

This is true. Not one evil god has shown up to start horrifying genetic experiments that could lead to the ruination of civilisation as we know it.

What an anti-climax. :D

Larapink
20-02-09, 21:51
:vlol:

Again, what is the seventh age? Just Kidding. :vlol:

I knew someone was just about to say that! NATLA! :yik: :vlol:

Pan
20-02-09, 22:11

In the Tsunami the sea floor dropped by about 1 km hence the wave.

Candee Sparks
21-02-09, 01:58
Oh don't get me started on talks about Atlantis, I turn crazed. :p

Looks mighty interesting though. Gunna have to check this out some more.

-Chromeo-
21-02-09, 04:37
I love things like these.
I want better quality...more zoomed in haha

aileenwuornos
21-02-09, 04:47
You know, the more that I think about this, the more likely it seems it's not true. I mean, if it was, do you really think they'd be telling the public about this? **** no. Just like the existence of aliens and stuff (hahahhaa)

Seriously though, a lot of the governments best discoveries are kept behind closed doors for a while before they get released to the public....

Jo269976
21-02-09, 05:26
Where is the birthing chamber? :p

Nah in all seriousness, this is awesome stuff, I just know that the city is out there somewhere, waiting to be found. :)

ECB
21-02-09, 05:38
I would love for this to be Atlantis. Who knows?

Any info if they're going to go down and explore it?

rowanlim
21-02-09, 06:59
I really hope we'll discover something there, it looks very interesting...Maybe it'll prove that Atlanteans are really an advanced alien race & they built the city that sunk! :p

Draco
21-02-09, 11:27

Well...no, not at all. We are amazingly ignorant of what lies in our oceans, we could easily have missed Atlantis if it was there. And if it isn't, we will eventually know.

Changeling
21-02-09, 17:26
Doesn't this look similar? I was just on Google Earth messing about when I saw this just near Ireland.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr12/Puleeezaa/asdffg.jpg

:confused:

EDIT: Unless it's just sea patterns, which would mean that I've just embarassed myself :vlol:

Geck-o-Lizard
21-02-09, 20:34
Data glitch (http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/google/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=214502197&cid=iwhome_art_Googl_mostpop)

The "streets" are an artifact of the data collection process. They mark the path the sonar boat took when it was scanning the ocean floor.

Seb_01225
21-02-09, 20:39
^ ow.

Siberian Tiger
21-02-09, 20:45
I knew it had to be a load of crap. :p

QiX
21-02-09, 20:50
Data glitch (http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/google/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=214502197&cid=iwhome_art_Googl_mostpop)

The "streets" are an artifact of the data collection process. They mark the path the sonar boat took when it was scanning the ocean floor.

This is what Google gave as explanation, but it's also weird, because the ocean floor should be then all covered with such lines. They appear in just a few other places, but the concentration and pattern of them in this particular area is just not expected.