PDA

View Full Version : Playing in a row

referee
22-02-09, 21:27
I had never played the gold levels of TR1 up until very recently, and I've never done so for TR2 and TR3; the internet is wonderful, and it's helped me to find those missing pieces of the puzzle, if y'all catch my drift:)
Having thus gathered every TR game ever made, I started playing them. Already did TR1 and its gold levels, have successfully retrieved the dagger of Xian and am now completing The Golden Mask. I plan to go on all the way until underworld, the only TR game I've never played - and one of the two I've never completed, the others being TRA and, of course, the gold levels of TR2 and TR3.
I discovered this forum while I was surfing the net, looking to see if there were any other nuts who, like me, have been addicted to Lara throughout these years - although, in my particular case, this addiction has been on and off, but now it's definitely on.
Anyway, I just wanted to present myself. I dunno what's the forum's policy on revealing your personal details - such as nationality, real name, etc. - but, if there's no problem I'll be sure to do it in my next posts.
Until then, and raid on!

Squibbly
22-02-09, 21:32
Welcome to the forums! :)

I've played a demo of TR2 Gold, but that's all. I plan on playing them one day soon. :D

I just recently downloaded (free download of course!) a bonus level from Tomb Raider: Last Revelation that I never knew existed and I'm going to play it later tonight. Have you played that one too?

I've played every other TR game of course, minus the Game Boy Advance ones, but I hear I'm really not missing much. :p

Hope you enjoy it here!

referee
22-02-09, 21:48
thnks for the welcome, Squibbly.
I also have the TRlR level you're talking about, but I'll just play it in good time, that is, when I complete the Last Revelation.
The Game Boys TRs don't really "feel" like a TR game so no, you're not missing anything.
One thing I'd like to ask: when I played the games the 1st time round, in my mid-teens, I really struggled to complete them, would take on average 1 year to do it and would always have to ask for the help of friends who had already got un-stucked in the part I was stucked, or else get the help from a gamer's magazine and, later on, Stella's walkthroughs, when I found out about the site.
This time round, I didn't need any walkthroughs, and it's not because I remember the solution to every puzzle - I do remember the levels, but rarely remember what I have to do to complete them but, somehow, after some exploring I can always complete them all by myself.
Does one get smarter by getting old? lol

irjudd
22-02-09, 23:24
I think that's normal. When I was a kid I needed a walkthrough for TR1, but now that I'm older it's no problem :)

referee
22-02-09, 23:27
Lol; this seems to disprove the theory that children and teens have a keener eye to play videogames

irjudd
22-02-09, 23:28
Well they may have better reflexes, but I think the logical thinking that the classic TR's needed makes it easier for an adult to play.

referee
22-02-09, 23:31
Indeed; when I played them the 1st time round, I'd often think, after having been shown the solution, "I'd never have thought about that!" Nowadays, after a little digging, the solution is just there!

irjudd
22-02-09, 23:36
For some reason the Coliseum really wracked my brain :cln:

referee
22-02-09, 23:42
My worst nightmare was, in fact, the Last Revelation; it took me one year to complete it - though I played it on and off. I remember having been stuck at a certain level for 3 months, for at the time I didn't have the internet and couldn't find any gamer's magazines to help me; after I got the net, later in that year, it was smooth sailing right till the end:)

irjudd
22-02-09, 23:44
I think I spent a total of 4-6 months each on the first 4 games.

referee
22-02-09, 23:51
yeah, you could really milk it back in the day; these new games are so much simpler, shorter, and the only way to make them last is to curb yourself from playing

irjudd
23-02-09, 00:03
Ain't that the truth. I have to take weeklong breaks from the new ones so that I won't beat them in one sitting!

hollister
23-02-09, 01:08
I think that's normal. When I was a kid I needed a walkthrough for TR1, but now that I'm older it's no problem :)

i started playing TR when i was 4 and above. my older brothers got me into it.

AND I NEVER USED A WALKTHROUGH AT ALL. not until i knew what it was :p

when i was about 12! but i beat all the classics by my self when i was little with no help! well only TR1-TR3. but i did use cheat codes :)

but i still did levels and stuff with no help.

referee
23-02-09, 08:56
I also did most levels on my own, at least until I ran out of patience:) Never used cheat codes because I don't think it's rewarding that way.

Spong
25-02-09, 06:12
I think it's the familiarity with the games that's led to you finding it easier to complete them the second time around. You now know what Lara can do and, by extension, it gives you a heads up in what to look for in a level when it comes to solving puzzles. It all goes with the territory, and clearly it's a territory you've got used to being in.

Doesn't stop the games from being tough though. Especially Last Revelation.

referee
28-02-09, 19:46
I think it's the familiarity with the games that's led to you finding it easier to complete them the second time around. You now know what Lara can do and, by extension, it gives you a heads up in what to look for in a level when it comes to solving puzzles. It all goes with the territory, and clearly it's a territory you've got used to being in.

Doesn't stop the games from being tough though. Especially Last Revelation.

Yeah; the first time around I'd often get stuck cos I failed to realise there was a block to be pushed or would forget to look up at the ceiling looking for a place to climb to