PDA

View Full Version : Soundtrack of your Life

violentblossom
24-02-09, 17:33
The title basically sums it up, choose 10 songs that you feel sum up your life and your experiences.

Try to go in order, with the last track relating to how you feel about yourself and who you are today.

If you want to, feel free to give a brief description of why you chose some of the songs.

1. Imagine - John Lennon (I was a really hopeful kid.. i had alot of dreams, and thought i'd grow up to change the world.)

2. I Get By (With a Little Help From my Friends) - Joe Cocker (because when you're a kid, that's all that seems to matter, is your friends.)

3. Troubled Waters - Cat Power (My mid-teen years were a really hard time for me, and i was very insecure. i thought i was a bad person, and i hated who i was.)

4. 3 Libras - A Perfect Circle (My mother and i had a very strained relationship for a while, and i used to feel like she didn't want to understand me.. i felt like a misfit, i guess.)

5. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (I briefly experimented with drugs, and during this period of my life, i was impervious to much. I stopped caring about alot of things, mostly myself.)

6. The Noose - A Perfect Circle (This song word for word sums up how i feel about a bad crowd i was running around with at 18 and 19.)

7. Maybe Tommorrow - Stereophonics (This song sums up the beginning of my finally learning to be happy.)

8. Don't Speak - No Doubt (I chose this to represent the breaking of my engagement.)

9. Wonderwall - Oasis

10. Drive - Incubus

TR93
24-02-09, 17:55
I remember doing something like this at school for my speaking and listening exam:jmp:!

1. 3 Doors Down-It's Not My Time (For my mum who almost died years ago)
2.12 Stones Broken(Christian song and band...i'm a Chrisitan:p)
3.Linkin Park-Points Of Authority
4.Breaking Benjamin-Shallow Bay
5.Evanescence-Bring Me To Life
6.Madina Lake-Here I Stand
7.Fuel-Innocent
8.Green Day-Time Of Your Life(1st Ever song I learned on guitar!):D
9.3 Doors Down-The Road I'm On..(Tough times in life)
10. Nathan McCree-tomb Raider Main Theme:p...er...I love TR!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Croft
24-02-09, 18:43
Lady GaGa + Britney Spears + Any other popular music.

Just Dance makes me happy.

Nannonxyay
24-02-09, 18:50
1. W.A.M.S - Fall Out Boy (Especially the first line: "I'm a young one, stuck in an old young's head." And the chorus describes the way I feel about people who are self absorbed and vein. The second verse describes how sometimes I let people walk over me, despite putting on a confident act.)

2. Turn It Up - Robots In Disguise (This really describes my anxiety and sort of want that I sometimes want to just "Crawl into the speakers and turn up the volume," just so I can escape the panic attacks etc.)

3. The Kill - 30 Seconds To Mars (This basically describes how much I want to be with someone, but they'll probably end up hurting me because I make stupid descisions. Or because I only long for people, and they never want me back.)

4. Northern Downpour - Panic At The Disco (This describes what I want my life to be like when I'm older. I want it to be like a neverending night of a dreamy type of love. "I know the world's a broken bone, but melt your headaches call it home," really get at my heart strings. And; "If all our life is but a dream, fantastic posing greed. Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea. For diamonds do appear to be, just like broken glass to me." Is basically what I want my life to be like. I don't want to care about riches like diamonds and all that stuff, I just want life to be a dream. A neverending dream.)

5. Creep - Radiohead (Again, this describes my want for love. But my feelings that I'm not good enough for someone. And that I'll just be a little creep and a weirdo.)

6. Teenagers - My Chemical Romance (This is just me in general. Hating that adults treat us kids like we're all trouble making little arseholes who will kill you. And how they think we're all the same for the way we dress or the way we look. Also the: "The boys and girls in the clique, the awful names that they stick, you're never gonna fit in much, kid." Really does describe me. It's like, the 'popular' kids label me as being weird. But. I don't really care.)

7. Human - The Killers (This is just the way I feel about life sometimes. I don't know how to describe it, it's like, I question reality. I ask: "Are we human? Or are we dancers?" Like, are we just pupetts for somebodie's entertainment? Are we humans? Are we just a bunch of cells bought together for no reason?)

8. Mayonaise - The Smashing Pumpkins ("I just want to be me." That line is pretty self-explanatory.)

9. The Trick To Life - The Hoosiers (It's basically just explaining me. About how I think about life to much and reality.

Especially this verse:
" You'd kill for answers but learn to live with,
Questions, Who what why how and if,
I'll sit back detached tear our your hair,
Oh but on the contrary..." )

10. When I Grow Up - Garbage ("When I grow up, I'll be stable. When I grow up I'll turn the tables." - That's basically what I want to happen when I get older. I don't want to be this little anxious person. I want to be able to cope with every day tasks without getting panicky.)

Kamrusepas
24-02-09, 18:52
Emilie Autumn.

violentblossom
24-02-09, 19:01
1. W.A.M.S - Fall Out Boy (Especially the first line: "I'm a young one, stuck in an old young's head." And the chorus describes the way I feel about people who are self absorbed and vein. The second verse describes how sometimes I let people walk over me, despite putting on a confident act.)

2. Turn It Up - Robots In Disguise (This really describes my anxiety and sort of want that I sometimes want to just "Crawl into the speakers and turn up the volume," just so I can escape the panic attacks etc.)

3. The Kill - 30 Seconds To Mars (This basically describes how much I want to be with someone, but they'll probably end up hurting me because I make stupid descisions. Or because I only long for people, and they never want me back.)

4. Northern Downpour - Panic At The Disco (This describes what I want my life to be like when I'm older. I want it to be like a neverending night of a dreamy type of love. "I know the world's a broken bone, but melt your headaches call it home," really get at my heart strings. And; "If all our life is but a dream, fantastic posing greed. Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea. For diamonds do appear to be, just like broken glass to me." Is basically what I want my life to be like. I don't want to care about riches like diamonds and all that stuff, I just want life to be a dream. A neverending dream.)

5. Creep - Radiohead (Again, this describes my want for love. But my feelings that I'm not good enough for someone. And that I'll just be a little creep and a weirdo.)

6. Teenagers - My Chemical Romance (This is just me in general. Hating that adults treat us kids like we're all trouble making little arseholes who will kill you. And how they think we're all the same for the way we dress or the way we look. Also the: "The boys and girls in the clique, the awful names that they stick, you're never gonna fit in much, kid." Really does describe me. It's like, the 'popular' kids label me as being weird. But. I don't really care.)

7. Human - The Killers (This is just the way I feel about life sometimes. I don't know how to describe it, it's like, I question reality. I ask: "Are we human? Or are we dancers?" Like, are we just pupetts for somebodie's entertainment? Are we humans? Are we just a bunch of cells bought together for no reason?)

8. Mayonaise - The Smashing Pumpkins ("I just want to be me." That line is pretty self-explanatory.)

9. The Trick To Life - The Hoosiers (It's basically just explaining me. About how I think about life to much and reality.

Especially this verse:
" You'd kill for answers but learn to live with,
Questions, Who what why how and if,
I'll sit back detached tear our your hair,
Oh but on the contrary..." )

10. When I Grow Up - Garbage ("When I grow up, I'll be stable. When I grow up I'll turn the tables." - That's basically what I want to happen when I get older. I don't want to be this little anxious person. I want to be able to cope with every day tasks without getting panicky.)

WONDERFUL post! I really enjoyed reading it, you put alot of time into it.

The way you feel about alot of things is passing, i promise. I felt exactly as you do when i was a teenager.. it wasn't pretty or pleasant at the time, but i learned alot of really important lessons.

Again, thank you for such an open and insightful post!

spikejones
24-02-09, 19:13
I had thought about making a similar thread myself, although more along the lines of songs that are meaningful to you more so than just a "soundtrack" of songs that we like.

I'll go ahead and post this one:

Corazon de Oro (heart of gold) originally by Rancid - remade by NoFx on the BYOB split EP where they each did 6 of each others' songs.
HcSvFGCRfpY

this one by Suicide Machines - "Look before you leap":
7jWQMbCcgew

Social Distortion - "story of my life"
IuKOc_Mpumc

Social Distortion - "ball and chain"
9cf6k4yJyv0

Social Distortion - "sick boy"
hmy-12B9AtM

Bad Religion - "youve got a chance"
NvFhxtqP-T4

Bad Religion - "a streetkid named desire"
sadly enough... this one is not even on youtube. odd.

and why is that the soundtrack of my life?
because every bit of those songs reflect myself at one point or another in time. ;)

Minty Mouth
24-02-09, 19:28
Im bending the rules a little bit, (well a lot) But I really dont need a list.

This changed my life...... No Seriously!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/MintyMouth/from_under_the_cork_tree_b000929au0.jpg

Joely-Moley
24-02-09, 19:29
1) The Unseen- Scream out. (This song has helped me though some hard times in my life)

2) Anti-flag -Their system doesn’t work for you.

3) The Distillers- I am a revenant

4) Anti-flag Indie sucks, Hardline sucks, Emo sucks YOU SUCK

5) Social Distortion –Mommy’s little monster

6) The unseen –You can never go home

7) The God Awfuls – Watch it fall
l
8) The Descendants –Cool to be you

9) Gob – Give up the grudge

10) Rancid- Fall back down

I relate to everyone of those songs in one way or another.

Spike, i never knew you liked social distortion!
They are one of my all time favourite bands.

violentblossom
24-02-09, 19:29
@ Minty: LOL.. you're right, its actually quite a bit OFF TOPIC, but if you can say that that album applies to your life somehow, and you relate to it, then i'll let you off the hook. :p

Minty Mouth
24-02-09, 19:34
OK Then 10 songs....

1. "Our Lawyer Made Us Change the Name of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued" - Fall Out Boy

2. "Of All the Gin Joints in All the World" - Fall Out Boy

3. "Dance, Dance" - Fall Out Boy

4. "Sugar, We're Goin Down" - Fall Out Boy

5. "Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner" - Fall Out Boy

6. "I've Got a Dark Alley and a Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song)" - Fall Out Boy

7. "7 Minutes in Heaven (Atavan Halen)" - Fall Out Boy

8. "I Slept with Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me" - Fall Out Boy

9. "A Little Less Sixteen Candles, a Little More "Touch Me"" - Fall Out Boy

10. "XO" - Fall Out Boy

Well Its still all the same album (so a little bit out of the rules too), but yeah Its my list all the same.

Nannonxyay
24-02-09, 19:34
WONDERFUL post! I really enjoyed reading it, you put alot of time into it.

The way you feel about alot of things is passing, i promise. I felt exactly as you do when i was a teenager.. it wasn't pretty or pleasant at the time, but i learned alot of really important lessons.

Again, thank you for such an open and insightful post!

No problem. Music is a big part of my life. So, I do love to explore lyrics and how they relate to my life. :)

Im bending the rules a little bit, (well a lot) But I really dont need a list.

This changed my life...... No Seriously!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/MintyMouth/from_under_the_cork_tree_b000929au0.jpg

I love this album. :) It's their best by far. (Though I am in love with Folie A Deux.)

spikejones
24-02-09, 19:36
1) The Unseen- Scream out. (This song has helped me though some hard times in my life)

2) Anti-flag -Their system doesn’t work for you.

3) The Distillers- I am a revenant

4) Anti-flag Indie sucks, Hardline sucks, Emo sucks YOU SUCK

5) Social Distortion –Mommy’s little monster

6) The unseen –You can never go home

7) The God Awfuls – Watch it fall
l
8) The Descendants –Cool to be you

9) Gob – Give up the grudge

10) Rancid- Fall back down

I relate to everyone of those songs in one way or another.

Spike, i never knew you liked social distortion!
They are one of my all time favourite bands.
my roots are very much punk rockish. :D
Distillers are good - reminds me somewhat of Rancid as a female singer.
Fall back down is good. I've got that album around somewhere - in storage most likely, but my favorite on that album would have to be "out of control" since its the most in line with their old style from the self titled black album. the rest of it is somewhat mellowed out. but then again, Rancid has changed up a lot since they first started. Just look at "dead bodies" next to "ruby soho". Arrested in Shanghai was a really good poetical, political statement. I've got some Anti-Flag on my phone. I'm friends with Bouncing Souls on MySpace ;) I think I've got some god awfuls on my phone as well.

violentblossom
24-02-09, 19:40
OK Then 10 songs....

1. "Our Lawyer Made Us Change the Name of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued" - Fall Out Boy

2. "Of All the Gin Joints in All the World" - Fall Out Boy

3. "Dance, Dance" - Fall Out Boy

4. "Sugar, We're Goin Down" - Fall Out Boy

5. "Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner" - Fall Out Boy

6. "I've Got a Dark Alley and a Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song)" - Fall Out Boy

7. "7 Minutes in Heaven (Atavan Halen)" - Fall Out Boy

8. "I Slept with Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me" - Fall Out Boy

9. "A Little Less Sixteen Candles, a Little More "Touch Me"" - Fall Out Boy

10. "XO" - Fall Out Boy

Well Its still all the same album (so a little bit out of the rules too), but yeah Its my list all the same.

hey, its okay if its all from the same album. :tmb:

nice post. :D

Joely-Moley
24-02-09, 19:48
Any chance you are a fallout boy fan :p

my roots are very much punk rockish. :D
Distillers are good - reminds me somewhat of Rancid as a female singer.
Fall back down is good. I've got that album around somewhere - in storage most likely, but my favorite on that album would have to be "out of control" since its the most in line with their old style from the self titled black album. the rest of it is somewhat mellowed out. but then again, Rancid has changed up a lot since they first started. Just look at "dead bodies" next to "ruby soho". Arrested in Shanghai was a really good poetical, political statement. I've got some Anti-Flag on my phone. I'm friends with Bouncing Souls on MySpace ;) I think I've got some god awfuls on my phone as well.

That's great! So glad there is someone else on here that’s into punk! :D

I love the distillers, I miss them, and I can’t get into Brody’s new band. Funny the singer of the distillers was married to the singer or rancid!

Yeah, I don’t like Rancids new stuff nearly as much, though I love ‘fall back down’ always puts me into a good mood!

I adore anti-flag, are possibly my favorite band at the moment seeing them (by myself I might add :( ) on Sunday.

Clara [CA]
24-02-09, 20:28
I just know I answered a thread like this one not so long ago. Anyways, I'm on a break right now, and I thought it'd be fun to try to pick ten songs. Let's just be clear : those songs are the ones I pick tonight. Had I answered yesterday, they'd probably be very different. Same goes for tomorrow. Also, I don't think that anyone will read this message entirely. If you do, thank you :wve: :hug:

Childhood Themes
1 - Beauty & The Beast OST - Belle
Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyP4kuvXe9A)
I just like that girl, she's not a "regular Disney princess". I was a very lonely child (some people say I still am :whi:). Serisouly, I was always in books (even in class I was reading novels under my desk), my imagination was always racing and conventional things (playing house etc.) tended to bore me. A lot. I used to make my dolls and bears replay some scenes of the books I was reading. The day I made them replay the wreckage in The (real... well, the original one) Little Mermaid, that day ended in a stuck bathub drain (who knew dolls' hair were so stiff, really ?) and a very angry mummy (but she was the one suggesting me to read so she couldn't blame anyone but herself, right ?)

2 - Five For Fighting - Superman
Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmxpeSKA34)
I was very naive and very trusting. That song is about dreams and what can everyone achieve in one's life. I just think it summarizes well how I felt and still feel sometimes. Seeing the big picture but at the same time taking time for the small ones, the everyday joys.

3 - Annie Lennox - A Whiter Shade Of Pale
Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByXvPU-tfJA)
First slow dance. First kiss. And we're still friends today, so it's a really nice memory :D

Teenage themes
4 - Prêt-à-porter OST - Here Comes The Hotstepper
Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS8UHOFk-KI)
My friends and I knew knew this song by heart. Every single word of it. And we didn't understand it at all !! We used to sing it (scream would probably be more accurate, being out of tune wasnt our first preoccupation) in the streets, walking in line as a whole. Even now, whenever I hear it, I can still see us walking like that. And I smile.

5 - Depeche Mode - Just Can't get Enough
Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiG2VeNkLuE) (sorry, it's a Live, can't do better than that)
I won a beauty contest on that song so it has to be in my soundtrack :p

6 - Radiohead - Street Spirit
Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrZTNhW44-o)
Performed it on stage when I was finsihing high school. It was the year I went to Wechter and saw Venus and Muse (Muuuuuuuuse) on stage. I hesitated with The Pixies "Where Is My Mind" song, as I was listening a lot to (some might say obsessing over) that song at that time. But this one has a special taste, for all the rehearsals and the complicity resulting of that musical. At that time of my life, music was like oxygen. I needed it to survive.

Student themes
7 - Will Smith - Get Jiggy Wit It
Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIduOvEoVeQ)
First year in college. Black roomate listening to RnB *very very* loud (at crazy hours may I add). I flunked that year for the record (he did too). But I discovered a lot of things during that year. That guy was incredible. He helped me a lot figuring out what I really wanted in life. OK, he suggested me I should be studying archaeology. And that's what I did. I think he still has a Lara Croft drawing from me, somewhere in his room.

8 - Dire Straits - Local Here Theme
Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMwcGPjYAIk)
I was listening to this one when I was in Egypt. How I got there is a long story, but I was far away from home. I was walking alone in the Theban mountain, it was my day-off work, I had left my room at 5 AM just to make sure I would be alone. I know that most people, when one of their dreams comes true... they don't realise it right away. But it wasn't my case. I knew what I always wanted was there, around me. So I sat there for a few minutes and I listened to Dire Straits while the sun was rising above the horizon. I don't think it could have been more perfect than that.

9 - The Killers - Mr. Brightside
Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIgsDPsU-M0) (who on earth conceived that video clip ? Are they in an asylum yet ?!)
That song is very literal, but the texts can mean more than that. To me, it's about... someone wanting to take on the world or something like that. A bit like the Superman song actually, but in a more corrupted, grown-up way. For me, it's also a symbol. Of what I was then, and who I am now. Everytime I hear it, I smile because of what it means to me. How I've grown. Where I am now. Who I am with. I like that song because it reminds me where I come from.

10 - [Empy] - [Empty]
Some people save a seat, I'm saving a song. For the next thread :p

dcw123
24-02-09, 20:41
1: Avril Lavigne - Nobody's Home - went through a bad phase of depression and Avril's older tone I liked to listen too, her new stuff stinks:ton:
2:Dolly Parton- 9 to 5 - links to my hate of getting up to work:p
3: Daniel Powler - Bad Day - Cheers me up after I've had one of 'em.
4:Alvin and the Chipmunks - Witch Doctor (2003 remix)- kinda like my love life ATM... and it just makes me wanna sing - Eww eee oooo A ,A, Ting tang, walla walla bing bang!
5: Frankie Goes To Hollywood- Relax - Something I need to do often..:p
6: Robert Palmer- Addicted To Love - Again, not sso good love life lol;)
7:.... Errrrmm :confused:

And anything else that makes me feel good..:D

spikejones
24-02-09, 22:36
Funny the singer of the distillers was married to the singer or rancid!

I didn't know that, and I was wondering if there was a connection between her and Lars Fredrickson, I was thinking it might have been his sister or something. Remember "Ghost Band"? That song always made me think about the distillers for some reason - as if the Distillers were the the ghost band, and she was the "girl". I may be way off with that, but thats just what popped into my head after hearing the distillers :D

I still have three left it seems:

Bouncing Souls - "Kids and Heroes"
JShQby1vfv0

Bad Religion - "Skyscraper"
arYCFuOdLKQ

I am ghost - "We are always searching"
(play it really loud!!!!!!) - proof that the violin can ROCK THE HOUSE DOWN!!!
3FB9JDLXNWE

I'll sneak one more in here :mis:
YKo211utFPI

patriots88888
25-02-09, 01:20
Just one: If I Fell - Beatles (I'm just a hopeless and helpless romantic and have been that way ever since I emerged from the womb!)

loser66
25-02-09, 01:29
Live Your Life - T.I. ft. Rihanna :D

Taught me a lesson about life

Wayne_Scales
25-02-09, 01:34
The title basically sums it up, choose 10
5. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (I briefly experimented with drugs, and during this period of my life, i was impervious to much. I stopped caring about alot of things, mostly myself.)
[/I]

Absolutly incredible song Violentblossom:hug: Love it.

Feather Duster
25-02-09, 01:45
Well, one song that really makes a point and changed my life was

Rage Against the Machine- Killing in the Name

I can't post it here because almost the whole end of the song is the fourth key in the middle row from the left word.

spikejones
25-02-09, 02:14
the fourth key in the middle row from the left word.
took me awhile to figure out you were talking about the F word. the use of "key" in a thread about music threw me completely for a loop :vlol:

ECB
25-02-09, 03:39
This is a really good post! :tmb:

1) I Want to Hold You Hand- The Beatls
2) Lake Michigan- Rogue Wave
3) Ceremony- New Order
4) **** You- Lily Allen
5) Campus- Vampire Weekend
6) Hard To Live in the City- Albert Hammond Jr.
7) I Summon You- Spoon
8) Age of Consent- New Order
9) Oxford Comma- Vampire Weekend
10) Brand New Day- Tim Myers
11) Walking on a Dream- Empire of the Sun

Honorable Mention:
Natalie's Rap- The Lonely Island :p

violentblossom
25-02-09, 13:44
Absolutly incredible song Violentblossom:hug: Love it.

thank ya. :D

:hug:

LaraCroftRox
25-02-09, 13:59
1. t.A.T.u. - Not Gonna Get Us/Нас не догонят
2. t.A.T.u. - All The Things She Said/Я сошла с ума
3. Superchick - One Girl Revolution
4. Syke Sweetnam - Billy Shakespeare
5. Skye Sweetnam - Sharada
6. Green Day - She's A Rebel
7. Simple Plan - Grow Up
8. Avril Lavigne - Complicated
9. t.A.T.u. - Clowns/Клоуны

Those songs have no rank - there all equally important.

Lee croft
25-02-09, 14:02
no air by jordin sparks

t-shirt by shontelle

when i grow up by the pussycat dolls

whatcha think about that by the pussycat dolls

baby one more time by britney spears

disturbia by rihanna

sometimes by britney spears

one step at a time by jordin sparks

tattoo by jordin sparks

my prerogative by britney spears

baby come back by vanessa hudgens

I Don't Want To Be by Gavin DeGraw

barenaked by jennifer love hewitt

if you had my love by jennifer lopez

im real by jennifer lopez

my love dont cost a thing by jennifer lopez

the fear by lily allen

:D.... you can guess the reasons

Nemo_91
25-02-09, 14:50
xjYKbIk5MKM

New World by Björk

Encore
25-02-09, 15:39
OK, I made this list that pretty much sums up the songs that marked me, they're not necessarily my favourite songs (lots of bands I adore missing here) but those that represent something important.

1. Metallica - Master of Puppets
They were my first really favourite band when I was like 11-12...

2. Sex Pistols - No Fun
This marked a transitional period in my life... When I started suffering from depression. Punk and metal were a great solace at the time and songs like this one, so raw and self destructive, were a great symbol for what I was doing to myself. :(

3. The Clash - Sandinista!
The whole album, really; though we obviously grow out of our teenage obsessions I still don't think I've ever liked a band as much as The Clash specially back then (14-15 years old) and this album was not only my favourite but it also helped shaped some of my ways of viewing the world, including politically. I think if I had to choose just one album for my life it would be this one.

4. Felix Mendelssohn - Hebrides overture
I guess I've always been a person of contrasts and at the same time as I was a fan of punk and metal I also got deeply into classical music. Now, I kept reading about how Mendelssohn was a "shallow" composer. And of course he's not a Beethoven is he. But it's hard to believe he's so shallow when the emotion in this music made me cry countless times back then!! I often thought of it as a good music to die with... :pi:

5. Rammstein - Sonne
After The Clash the band I *REALLY* got into was Rammstein, and when I think Rammstein I think a slightly better period in my teenage years, their music, being so intense, sometimes dark and sometimes playful, was a great escape.

6. Tiësto - Magik 5 (Heaven Beyond)
Again the whole album, since it's a mix compilation. I think the days when I was happier was during summer holidays, and starting around my 18 years old I always listened to much trance music during those... It made me feel great. This album marked those feelings so well. It really brings me back to one particularly good summer spent in Spain. :cool:

7. Tool - Third Eye
Listening to them truly amplified my interests in certain kinds of spirituality and in general they are a great symbol for my tendency to always be fascinated by the misterious, the metaphisical, etc.

8. Pink Floyd - Hey You
I think the entire story of my youth can be summed up by feelings of loneliness and isolation perfectly depicted in this song. I won't say more, the song it pretty self-explanatory..

9. My Chemical Romance - Welcome To The Black Parade
Exactly at the same time I got into them, I also came to terms with my emotional issues and started to put my life's goals above all the ****ed up issues I have. In a way, I think a part of me died and I came back caring less about "being normal" and more about what I want to DO. And of course, this song (and the album) also symbolizes exactly the kind of crazy ideas I have about death itself.

10. Nine Inch Nails - Somewhat Damaged
This pretty much defines how I feel in recent times. I know I am ****ed up, I have issues, I will always be a freak, I have to try and live with it; some time ago I had to deal with someone who was a very dear friend and whom I thought was gonna make my life better, but in the end only messed it up even more. But here I am and I survive... :p

I'll sneak one more in here :mis:

WOAH. Another Matchbook Romance fan... Those guys had so much potential. :(

violentblossom
25-02-09, 15:43
^ Cool, Encore! You've got pretty good taste in music.

Another Tool fan, w00t!

Chocola teapot
25-02-09, 16:28
Lily allen-the fear...
Bored, spoilt brat...

Catapharact
25-02-09, 16:30
Bon Jovi - Its My Life.

This ain't a song for the broken-hearted
No silent prayer for the faith-departed
I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice
When I shout it out loud

[Chorus:]
It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just wanna live while I'm alive
It's my life

This is for the ones who stood their ground
For Tommy and Gina who never backed down
Tomorrow's getting harder make no mistake
Luck ain't even lucky
Got to make your own breaks

It's my life
And it's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
(It's my life)
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
'Cause it's my life

Better stand tall when they're calling you out
Don't bend, don't break, baby, don't back down

It's my life
And it's now or never
'Cause I ain't gonna live forever
(It's my life)
Like Frankie said
I did it my way

It's my life
And it's now or never
'Cause I ain't gonna live forever
(It's my life)
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
'Cause it's my life!

]{eith
25-02-09, 16:41
Doing The Best I Can - Stevie Nicks

XGJzGYm-w7s

In my way,
Disaster was the only thing
That I could depend on.
But it's alright, baby,
I'm doing it the best that I can.

Pretty much covers how my life decided to just fall apart about four years ago and I'm still recovering to this day.

Lee croft
25-02-09, 16:47
Lily allen-the fear...
Bored, spoilt brat...

hey i have that song on my list .. dont mean im a spoiled brat!!!

InVisibleLight
01-03-09, 00:28
1. The Vines ~ I'm Only Sleeping
(When I wake up early in the morning i'm still tired)
Cause I sleep alot when I can... I am not a morning person and this song perfectly describes me. This is also Beatles cover, and my dad likes the beatles alot.

2. Lacuna Coil ~ In Visible Light
(Grief is the light)
My favourite LC song. Listened to it through hard times last year.

3. Muse ~ Starlight
(our hopes and expectations black holes and revelations)
my favourite Muse song... Muse are one of my fave bands. This song reminds me of any special someones i'd have.

4. Offspring ~ Takes me nowhere
I can't explain it properly but I can understand the lyrics and relate to them. The song is sorta about being in a vicious cycle you can't break free from, and when you try you get nowhere.

5. Within Temptation ~ Our Solemn Hour
(sanctus espiritus redeem us from our solemn hours)
Alot of the events in my life that came to a head definitely was some of my darkest hours. This song definitely describes about wanting to break free when you feel you are trapped. I felt like i needed some salvation alot in what was alot of my darkest hours last year.

6. Darling Violetta ~ Angel Theme
Angel is my fave TV show and comic. Angel changed my life. I do brood alot like Angel, so that's probably why I like to watch Angel! And plus this is my fave tv theme ever.

7. Tool ~ H
(and as i look in its eyes my fear begins to fade recalling all of the times...)
This is possibly one of my favourite Tool songs. It reflects times of fears and an overwhelmed mind of things you want to forget.

8A Perfect Circle ~ 3 Libras
(i threw you the obvious to see if theres more behind the eyes of a fallen angel, eyes of a tragedy)
Maynard said this song is about being overlooked, I think he's right. The commentary on the aMOTION DVD was very deep, and the metaphor of if you don't look between the crescents of the moon in the logo.... you won't see what is supposed to be seen... A CIRCLE. I'll admit i've had more than my fair share of being overlooked.... and this song explains it perfectly.

9. silverchair ~ Low
"have you ever been lost floating on the ground like a fading frost fallen asleep next to your bed and you feel so low..." YES! I do feel lost! I definitely felt very low during my times of studying, I never enjoyed it not once. I had to force myself to do it. The line "oh im host to a guide" sounds to me like when you're not really guiding yourself, something is taking control of you and you are just hosting it.

10. Within Temptation ~ All I Need
(don't tear me down whats left of me)
This is my song of solace. i had some of the hardest times last year and listening to this song showed that music can even motivate even in the darkest of times. Heck discovering Within Tempation was possibly one of the only good things of 2008 for me. They became my fave band after that.

BONUS TRACKS: Funeral for a Friend ~ Walk Away
("and the waiting is the hardest thing to take, in a moment more before we break")
If you've seen the video you'd know that its about a wife and her daughter waiting for her husband/dad to come home from being out at sea. To me the crux of this song is sometimes you spend most of your life waiting for something, you don't know if its going to come but sometimes you have to let your dreams go to move forward.

NIN ~ Right Where it Belongs
"what if everything around you was an elaborate dream?"
yeah seems that way alot.

offspring ~ Half-Truism
The adrenaline of the song reflects me when i get into game face mode... i don't think, just do most of the time, i get into the game like whatever i am doing is my last stand.

violentblossom
01-03-09, 00:35
^OMG, GREAT music taste! I love H, its one of my Tool faves, too.. and APC *drool*.. I sooo have that dvd, i've had to buy it twice.

Maynard Keenan is brilliant. I saw Tool 2 years ago.. they were ridiculously awesome.

Punaxe
01-03-09, 03:03
Great idea for a thread, it's pretty hard to make such a soundtrack really! I've not been able to convey everything in music, but here are some parts of my life accompanied by telling songs...

M2M - Miss Popular (not on YouTube :/)
I used to be very popular in my childhood, say, up to the age of 16. This song actually portrays a bad kind of popularity, but I used it anyway, also because people always made fun of me during that time (and later on) for liking bands like M2M :p

Tomb Raider 2 - Venice Violins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDTbF4-VLvI)
Well, Tomb Raider was actually a big part of my life at a certain age, I was quite obsessed :p Venice Violins is my favourite musical piece from the Tomb Raider series.

Bobby Prince - DOOM II - Endgame Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpymgMlV2po)
Another game I still enjoy, one of the few constants throughout all these years, is DOOM.

187 Lockdown - Kung Fu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiQFmErlUWw)
I loved this song, and the video clip as well :p As you may have seen (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=3486794&postcount=13) in the memories thread, I am/used to be a martial artist. At some point in life this was a huge part of me, in fact martial arts were my one and only ambition at that time. I even thought about going to a martial arts monastery.

Alas, from then on, my life got a very sad turn.

Emilie Autumn - The Art of Suicide (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPrD-Bowbr4)

Diva Destruction - The Broken Ones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJNyWS0PtQ)
"For the pleasure, for the knife / Steal the treasure, steal your life"

I became severely depressed, ruining my life entirely at the time, as well as parts of it I still have to live with.
Next to self mutilation, music was a way for me to cope with this. I listened mostly to very aggressive things, or then things I could emotionally sing along to, like:

:wumpscut: - Hang Him Higher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75HTp2ONGoI)
After Forever - Tortuous Threnody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjUC0J2vDWQ)
Blind Guardian - Nightfall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB2m1MBlS-4)
Dimmu Borgir - Blessings Upon The Throne of Tyranny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UidSriRb6eo)
Suicide Commando - One Nation Under God (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLhvIxtsIU)
My Dying Bride - She Is The Dark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKV62cKwkLs)

During this depression, I did get a girlfriend.

Blutengel - Seelenschmerz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flvzX8eRJ0s)
"Glaubst du noch an meine lügen / Willst du dich nur selbst betrögen / Krallst dich viel zu fest an mich / Bitte, bitte glaub mir nicht"
("Do you still believe my lies / Do you want to betray yourself / You're attaching yourself too much to me / Please, please don't believe me")
I had to warn her about the effects of the depression - I rationally thought I loved her, but ... I could not feel it, as I couldn't feel anything. As much as she meant to me, I could not say for certain I loved her.

Enigma - I'll Love You... I'll Kill You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsuUHbjXA7Q)
There were more issues because of my depression... I remember actually wanting to kill her once - for no reason whatsoever. This lasted only a minute or so, but it was quite shocking.

Apoptygma Berzerk - Coma White (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmv4QgSvgck)
"A pill to make you numb / A pill to make you dumb / A pill to make you anybody else / But all the things in this world / Won't save her from herself"
After many years of necessarily increasing the dosage of antidepressants I was up to such a high dose that I was almost a zombie. I just dragged myself through life.

This was also the period I started listening to much more quiet, emotional music, such as:

Helium Vola - Mahnung (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR7GfUdupnI)
Dead Can Dance - As The Bell Rings The Maypole Spins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENzm3OJbw4o)
Eric Satie - Gnossiene No. 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIVp05sEPhE)

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana - In Taberna Quando Sumus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6hD2DOxpms)
This was also a period in which I did not do anything that was healthy. I moved town, didn't have a dojo to practice martial arts in anymore, and was too numb to do any effort in finding a new one. I got fatter and my condition seriously went to a point of me being exhausted after going up the stairs.

Within Temptation - See Who I Am (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsOhvk5oYPc)
I decided to quit the medication cold turkey. While this was a very dangerous move, and I may well be slipping back into depression as we speak, it was a good move at the time and has opened me up to many new things in life. I now have a lot of ambitions and interests, while before, I simply wouldn't have cared about anything.

Funker Vogt - Take Care! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrbldA4Mqvo) (I really wish there was a better version online, this doesn't do the song justice)
"We are living in a nightmare / We call it normal life / The time is reached that we take care / And stop dancing on the knife"
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - As I Sat Sadly By Her Side (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRnNMsfLyPI)
"And God does not care for your benevolence / Anymore than he cares for the lack of it in others / Nor does he care for you to sit / At windows in judgement of the world he created / While sorrows pile up around you / Ugly, useless and over-inflated"
The world itself and the global society is one of the things I care greatly for, and I am a strong atheist.

Within Temptation - Mother Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reGlno9aUpw)
There is nothing I like more than beautiful nature. I love to just be in it, take pictures of it, and travel to wherever it is.

VNV Nation - Epicentre (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woIiLtWzXAQ)
"I can't say that you're losing me / But I must be that which I am / Though I know where this could take me"
I am happy with who I am, but, and this may well be a result of my depression, I am hardly emotional, which is a problem for my current girlfriend.

Phew.
Let me know if anyone actually read this / sampled any of the music... :p

Nefertiti_89
01-03-09, 04:42
Okay this is a toughie...

1. Janes Addiction - I'm Not An Addict : Its pretty self explanatory this one.

2. Foo Fighters - Best of You: Because I do let people get the best of me, I give them everything and get nothing back. I let people abuse me without even knowing it because its just the kind of person I am.

3. Sex Pistols - Silly Thing : For all the times I **** up and manage to dig myself deeper and have to ask myself "what you gonna say? What you gonna do?"

4. Queen - You're My Best Friend : (Its going to sound a bit obvious I know) To represent the relationship I have with my best friend Carly, who has known me all my life, literallly, her parents bought her to the hospital with them the day I was born and 20 years on we are still the very best of friends (and EPIC, Queen fans).

5. Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go : Because no matter how bad a mood I'm in, how crappy I feel, how sad I might be, if someone plays this song for me I will instantly smile, say "orange mocha frappaccino!" and start dancing, its my happy song.

6. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here : How I feel about my great grandmother who I miss every single day

7. Lynrd Skynrd - Freebird : Because I am and always will be a free spirit who marches to the beat of her own drum and nobody and nothing will ever change that.

8. John Butler Trio - Somethings Gotta Give : Basically how I feel about the political and social climate of the world at most times.

9. OK Go - Invincible : How I feel when I step on the pitch with a hockey stick in my hand

10. Velvet Revolver - Dirty Little Thing : Relevant to a very dark time in my life. Reflects very well on who I was and what I needed to do at the time:

Youve got your head in the clouds and your world's upside down
Get away from the life you're living
Get away from the man that's stealing your life
Get away from the drugs you're taking
Get away from the film of sex in your life

Can't stop drinking I'm cold kicking and bleeding
The wine is numbing feelings and all of my memories are gone

Bonus Track: Rolling Stones - Sympathy For the Devil : For the simple fact that it wouldn't be my life witout a stones song and this one is my favourite!