PDA

View Full Version : The purpose of life?

LaraLuvrrr
27-02-09, 04:38
Ok this may get too philosophical for some... but its something I've been pondering so much.

What do you think is the point of life? I mean if everything clearly has a purpose according to science and also religious and spiritual beliefs then ultimately what's our existence meant to accomplish?

For those that say there is no purpose we are just born and then die so we should just do as we please I ask is there therefore no real order? No morality? Do we have inherent feelings of what is good and bad and right and wrong or are we actually animals that have been domesticated by society since birth?

I just ponder the everyday things... the ups downs and changes throughout history... and what exactly is the reason for it? Why do we even have knowledge and the ability to reason when nothing we know of does...

Oh goodness I will never find the answers to these questions but I suppose that only through discussion will one get closer to the truth. At least that's what philosophers seem to think.

violentblossom
27-02-09, 04:46
Because i'm in no way religious, so i'm going to say the points in life are: self-fulfillment, knowledge, humility, and to help those who truly need it, whether that be through education, friendship, kindness or some sort of physical nourishment.

I think that religion is put in place so that people are made to want to do these things, and to help them cope with the trials of day to day life, but it really just boils down to you doing what you think will make you into your own ultimate human being. :)

patriots88888
27-02-09, 04:49
I would have to say it all boils down to one's own beliefs. I'm not sure there is a universal answer to that question. Everyone has a varying opinion to a degree as to life's meaning.

For myself it is simply leading a productive life and trying my best to be happy and helping others find some happiness in their lives whenever possible. And most importantly, preparing myself for the life to come once my time on Earth has expired.

LaraLuvrrr
27-02-09, 05:02
Because i'm in no way religious, so i'm going to say the points in life are: self-fulfillment, knowledge, humility, and to help those who truly need it, whether that be through education, friendship, kindness or some sort of physical nourishment.

I think that religion is put in place so that people are made to want to do these things, and to help them cope with the trials of day to day life, but it really just boils down to you doing what you think will make you into your own ultimate human being. :)

Yea.. I suppose that's true. I guess now I gotta figure out what makes me really passionate loll. I was seeking a universal truth but perhaps there isn't one being that everyone has they're own reality anyways... maybe people also have their own heaven and hell or whatever they choose to create both physically and spiritually.

violentblossom
27-02-09, 05:08
Yea.. I suppose that's true. I guess now I gotta figure out what makes me really passionate loll. I was seeking a universal truth but perhaps there isn't one being that everyone has they're own reality anyways... maybe people also have their own heaven and hell or whatever they choose to create both physically and spiritually.

yeah.. i've always thought, that if there was a heaven and hell, that it'd be highly subjective to the person in question. something that is my cup of tea probably isn't everyone's, so "default heaven" really wouldn't be heaven at all.

LaraLuvrrr
27-02-09, 05:28
yeah.. i've always thought, that if there was a heaven and hell, that it'd be highly subjective to the person in question. something that is my cup of tea probably isn't everyone's, so "default heaven" really wouldn't be heaven at all.

Wow good point! :tmb: You sound like a Buddhist. I was just reading about Buddhism and how it is more about finding one's personal path to nirvana then about all the rules, regulations, and stories found in Western religions. I suppose then the answer is what Buddha's last words were. "All things in life are changeable, seek your own salvation through your own truth." Of course that's just one way to translate it. But yea I guess we have the answers in us we don't really need to look outside ourselves for a God to save us. It's just since birth we're so conditioned to look outside ourselves for acceptance and crap. We are really born whole... I think hell is when someone can't leave this earth after death. I would hate to be around here after I die if I could be in higher states of consciousness lol

violentblossom
27-02-09, 05:43
Wow good point! :tmb: You sound like a Buddhist. I was just reading about Buddhism and how it is more about finding one's personal path to nirvana then about all the rules, regulations, and stories found in Western religions. I suppose then the answer is what Buddha's last words were. "All things in life are changeable, seek your own salvation through your own truth." Of course that's just one way to translate it. But yea I guess we have the answers in us we don't really need to look outside ourselves for a God to save us. It's just since birth we're so conditioned to look outside ourselves for acceptance and crap. We are really born whole... I think hell is when someone can't leave this earth after death. I would hate to be around here after I die if I could be in higher states of consciousness lol

Really? Well, cool, thanks! I'm going to really look into Buddhism, then.. i've basically just disregarded religion in general for a long time, but i'm open to alot of things, so who knows, maybe i'll like it!

Yes, outside influence and acceptance really seem to dig their claws in early.. i relish my little girl right now because she's just at this free stage in her life where she's totally happy and really unselfconscious.. life would be so much more simpler if everyone could live that way.

There's a quote i found in a magazine once that really applies here and its, "Happiness isn't a destination, its a matter of travel." I feel like that's forgotten alot.

Yeah, people tend to have a really nightmarish concept of hell (which, is not to say its not, who knows?) but maybe tha's exactly what hell is... being idle, and unproductive and totally useless. Bleh, what a bore.

Chocola teapot
27-02-09, 11:02
I beleive that there wasn't or isnt' one.... Chemicals came together, evolution takes place and here we have creatures that are to clever for their own good...
You make your purpose of life! :tmb:

loser66
27-02-09, 11:13
To die and be reborn in the afterlife?

MiCkiZ88
27-02-09, 11:16
To live and be a part of the cycle of life. You can either make it better or worse for others. Choose well.

tomblover
27-02-09, 11:19
You live, then you die. :vlol: Hopefully you'll be reborn. :D (I believe in incarnation. :p)

CerebralAssassin
27-02-09, 11:32
the purpose of life is to make your own personal mark on history,to make future generations talk about you when you're long dead,to accomplish your goals and just plainly do the things that you love doing!!not much more to it than that...and as someone said above, "you make your own purpose" :tmb:.

I wouldn't worry about the afterlife too much,for we simply do not know what will unfold!let's just aknowledge the fact that the afterlife is an unknown territory and get on with our ****ing lives!!:):D

Punaxe
27-02-09, 11:39
To ask this question is to assume there is a purpose, but why would you think that?
From what we know, there has been no deliberate intention of 'life itself' for any organism to do anything. It is however in the genes' best interest to make organisms survive and multiply, and you could make a strong case for that being most organisms' 'purpose of life'.
Us humans have grown beyond the control of ingrown instincts. You could still say our purpose is to serve our genes and reproduce, but we have the ability to choose our own path. For us humans, it is up to our personal values and ambitions what we want to be our purpose in life.

Ikas90
27-02-09, 12:28
No one is wise enough to comprehend the purpose of life.

Everyone can have personal opinions, but it won't be the true answer. I personally think it's a test. We are here to experience the gift and the value of life, and depending on whether you are a good person or a bad person will determine whether you go to Heaven or Hell. We are here to live part of the cycle of life, yes, and we are supposed to procreate. But we have free will and don't have to procreate.

We don't even use 100% of our brain. Only 10%. Imagine how deep and philosophical the meaning of life must be.

There are good and bad people on this planet, who God created. Did he create the bad people? Or was that their choice? There are people who act superior to others and act as if there is no God, which is yet again their choice to believe so. If there is a purpose of life, God would know what it is. Not humans. If there is no God, how on earth would there be a philosophical let alone actual meaning of life? Someone of a higher power has to be behind it all. No one owns this planet now do they?

Some people committ suicide believing they will be free of the pain they are experiencing. They have no appreciation of life whatsoever, so it is meaningless to them. And that means they will go to hell and experience even more hellish feelings. Then they will understand that there really is a meaning to all of this.

Life is the most precious gift that human beings have been given. Live it, and appreciate it. Don't waste it. You'll understand the meaning when you make it to the end.

Now now, before anyone starts, I'm saying this as my opinion. I'll highlight the word. OPINION. You can debate on my views if you like, as long as you don't throw flame in my face and go "OMG U DONT HAV PROF U A IDIOT LOLZ".

Fish.
27-02-09, 12:31

Everyone can have personal opinions, but it won't be the true answer. I personally think it's a test. We are here to experience the gift and the value of life, and depending on whether you are a good person or a bad person will determine whether you go to Heaven or Hell. We are here to live part of the cycle of life, yes, and we are supposed to procreate. But we have free will and don't have to procreate.

We don't even use 100% of our brain. Only 10%. Imagine how deep and philosophical the meaning of life must be.

There are good and bad people on this planet, who God created. Did he create the bad people? Or was that their choice? There are people who act superior to others and act as if there is no God, which is yet again their choice to believe so. If there is a purpose of life, God would know what it is. Not humans. If there is no God, how on earth would there be a philosophical let alone actual meaning of life? Someone of a higher power has to be behind it all. No one owns this planet now do they?

Some people committ suicide believing they will be free of the pain they are experiencing. They have no appreciation of life whatsoever, so it is meaningless to them. And that means they will go to hell and experience even more hellish feelings. Then they will understand that there really is a meaning to all of this.

Life is the most precious gift that human beings have been given. Live it, and appreciate it. Don't waste it. You'll understand the meaning when you make it to the end.

Now now, before anyone starts, I'm saying this as my opinion. I'll highlight the word. OPINION. You can debate on my views if you like, as long as you don't throw flame in my face and go "OMG U DONT HAV PROF U A IDIOT LOLZ".
That's probably the wisest thing I've read all month.

Encore
27-02-09, 12:34
I think there's a diference between individual purpose and our purpose as a whole (humanity). I can't possibly fathom the latter, perhaps there isn't one, though I prefer to believe there is (I once imagined mankind's purpose was to destroy the face of the earth so as to renew it for a new cycle of lifeforms :p bizarre).
As for individual life, I think the purpose is to just live it... And try your best to leave your mark in other people's lives as you go (in a good way of course)...

Legend of Lara
27-02-09, 12:35
Materialism. I need the stuff. :p

But seriously-

the purpose of life is to make your own personal mark on history,to make future generations talk about you when you're long dead,to accomplish your goals and just plainly do the things that you love doing!!not much more to it than that...and as someone said above, "you make your own purpose" :tmb:.

I wouldn't worry about the afterlife too much,for we simply do not know what will unfold!let's just aknowledge the fact that the afterlife is an unknown territory and get on with our ****ing lives!!:):D

This^^

violentblossom
27-02-09, 12:38

no one's going to flame you.. what you had to say was incredibly thoughtful and wise and valid.

even if i don't completely agree, i could not fault you or anyone for having that belief, because who the hell does know for sure? nobody.. to call someone wrong when you yourself don't know the truth would be plum ignorant.

bravo for an excellent post! :tmb:

Punaxe
27-02-09, 12:43
(...) If there is a purpose of life, God would know what it is. Not humans. If there is no God, how on earth would there be a philosophical let alone actual meaning of life? Someone of a higher power has to be behind it all. (...)

Please elaborate... You seem to say that if there is a purpose there would be a god, but there can't be no god because there is a purpose.

Encore
27-02-09, 12:44
to call someone wrong when you yourself don't know the truth would be plum ignorant.

Well, you would think so, and that has always been my perspective too, but it happens countless times in religion or spirituality related threads... Specially coming from atheists.

@Ikas: just a small detail: I'm pretty sure the theory that we only use 10% of our brains has been debunked as a myth by now. I don't have any link to prove it though, since I read it in a magazine.

violentblossom
27-02-09, 12:51
Well, you would think so, and that has always been my perspective too, but it happens countless times in religion or spirituality related threads... Specially coming from atheists.

@Ikas: just a small detail: I'm pretty sure the theory that we only use 10% of our brains has been debunked as a myth by now. I don't have any link to prove it though, since I read it in a magazine.

yeah, i can see that.

being someone who's always considered herself athiest, i myself have always tried to be openminded, but alot of other athiests that i know are extremely self righteous, like they've discovered some kind of deep, dark secret on their own, so now they deserve total right to be condescending punks.

also, i agree about the 10% mind usuage thing.. it can't really be that low.. i once heard about a guy who could think 9 thoughts at one time, wonder what percentage he was using.

Ikas90
27-02-09, 13:03
Please elaborate... You seem to say that if there is a purpose there would be a god, but there can't be no god because there is a purpose.

Yes, there has to be a god because there is a purpose. That's what I was trying to say. If there was no purpose, then it would all be up to us, and we would each have our own definition of life. But what I was saying, is that I believe there is a god, and that he is the one in control of life's meaning.

Is that what you wanted to know? Because I didn't fully understand your question. Just making sure. :)

@Encore: In what aspect? Philosophical? Intellectual? I think the 10% of our brain used is 10% of true wisdom. I honestly think if we could use 100% of our brains, we'd be very powerful spiritually. Like being able to use "the force" and such. Not saying it's true, but I do believe that if we were truly wise, we would be able to use the force. Some people actually can, from what I've heard. It's called Ki Energy. And yes, some can think 9 thoughts at once, some people can predict the future, and I think that's linked to a spiritual connection.

CerebralAssassin
27-02-09, 13:04

let me clarify a few things: if-then statements:

if A then B

if not B then not A

what Saki said didn't contradict itself.in his first sentence he said that if there is a purpose then God must know it.that means that if God doesn't know the purpose of life then there is no purpose.

in his second sentence he said that if God doesn't exist then there is no purpose,which is correct cause if God doesn't exist then God doesn't know the purpose of life therefore there is no purpose (which is the statement he made in the first sentence);););)

MattTR
27-02-09, 13:45
Just a couple words, to live. But you must live it to it's fullest in order to succeed. That's my non-religious view point at least. :)

]{eith
27-02-09, 13:45
You were all put here to worship me.

Well go on! Start worshipping!

MattTR
27-02-09, 13:50
{eith;3490128']You were all put here to worship me.

Well go on! Start worshipping!

All hail special ']{', I am not worthy.. :p

http://i35.************/v2wpxv.jpg

]{eith
27-02-09, 13:51
All hail special ']{', I am not worthy.. :p

http://i35.************/v2wpxv.jpg

:vlol: That's more like it! I'm just one big bowl of deliciousness! :D

spikejones
27-02-09, 14:05
eat... sleep... reproduce

Punaxe
27-02-09, 14:12
Yes, there has to be a god because there is a purpose. That's what I was trying to say. If there was no purpose, then it would all be up to us, and we would each have our own definition of life. But what I was saying, is that I believe there is a god, and that he is the one in control of life's meaning.

Is that what you wanted to know? Because I didn't fully understand your question. Just making sure. :)

@Encore: In what aspect? Philosophical? Intellectual? I think the 10% of our brain used is 10% of true wisdom. I honestly think if we could use 100% of our brains, we'd be very powerful spiritually. Like being able to use "the force" and such. Not saying it's true, but I do believe that if we were truly wise, we would be able to use the force. Some people actually can, from what I've heard. It's called Ki Energy. And yes, some can think 9 thoughts at once, some people can predict the future, and I think that's linked to a spiritual connection.

let me clarify a few things: if-then statements:

if A then B

if not B then not A

what Saki said didn't contradict itself.in his first sentence he said that if there is a purpose then God must know it.that means that if God doesn't know the purpose of life then there is no purpose.

in his second sentence he said that if God doesn't exist then there is no purpose,which is correct cause if God doesn't exist then God doesn't know the purpose of life therefore there is no purpose (which is the statement he made in the first sentence);););)

Yes, I understood, but it seemed to hint at circular reasoning... There has to be a god, because there is a purpose. How do you know there is a purpose?

Also, we do actually use 100% of our brains. Not simultaneously at any given moment I think, but different parts of our brain are used for different things, and all together that's certainly going to 100%.

spikejones
27-02-09, 14:30
To be quite honest with you..

I've often pondered "what is the purpose of life" and never does there seem to be a clear cut answer. What does seem to stick out in my mind is that each of us define the purpose of life based upon our given moral set at any given time. For a certain person, the purpose of life may simply be to have fun and enjoy one's self. Later on in life, through morals we have established and experiences we have gained - that view of our purpose may be molded into something entirely different. It depends upon the perspective of the person and where they are at in life. I like to think that my purpose (or one of my purposes) in life is to do good things and to share my experiences with others in hopes to make their life better. Whether that is to show them that they don't want to go down the same road that I did, or to possibly open their eyes to other possibilities. Its a pretty deep philosophical question and one can almost argue that ones purpose in life can define who they are - or even vice versa.

Jo269976
27-02-09, 14:43
Live life the way you want, do what your soul tells you and don't let anyone stand in the way of your highest ambitions. Reach for the endless top :)

Melonie Tomb Raider
27-02-09, 14:45
This life is just a quick beginning for what is to come. So in all reality, though it may seem huge, it's really not, we're just a spec in the sand. What's really big is what is to come, so it's wise to spend this time in preparation for the life that everyone is really going to experience forever.

Living this little tidbit of time in vain is not worth it in the end. It's good to set goals for your life, but ignorant to put that above your eternal future. When you're dead, all of your accomplishments go with you, but your spirit will remain, and let's hope you're in a happy place. :D

spikejones
27-02-09, 14:54
We are here to experience the gift and the value of life, and depending on whether you are a good person or a bad person will determine whether you go to Heaven or Hell.
Your post leads me to believe that you are a Christian. Is that correct?
I am not attempting to flame you here - and it may possibly be a misunderstanding of the doctrine on your part, or a discrepancy in the teachings across different denominations. What you said there sounds as if you are a Baptist? I seem to hear a lot of that from Baptist or Catholic - whereby its a fire and brimstone approach to the teachings. They teach that if you do bad things, you go to hell - but if you do good things, you go to heaven. However, this is not so. I believe the Methodist teachings to be more accurate, but that is because I have grown up in a Methodist family.

In Romans 3:23

"All men have sinned and fallen short of the glory of god"
In the gospel according to John, chapter 14:

'No one comes before the Father except through Me'
once again in the gospel according to John, chapter 10:

IF WE ARE CHRIST'S SHEEP WE ARE SECURE UNDER HIS CARE AND NOTHING CAN TAKE IT AWAY
these here verses signify that beyond a doubt - all men have sinned and will sin. Sins are "bad things" and if you were to follow what seems to have been taught to you, everyone will wind up in Hell. Rather the path to salvation is to accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior. Once a person has been saved, the devil cannot pluck you out of his hands. The affirmation of faith that is read before communion once a month is actually the key to salvation. Look closely at what you are reading and do not simply recite or repeat, and you will realize what it is.

and again... this is not to bash religion or even to cram it down anyone's throats. I myself don't attend church anymore since a couple years ago.

CerebralAssassin
27-02-09, 15:02
How do you know there is a purpose?

well I agree with you on that....there's no way of knowing for sure if there's an absolute/universal purpose in life...I do believe that each individual can make their own purpose in life though...

When you're dead, all of your accomplishments go with you, but your spirit will remain, and let's hope you're in a happy place. :D

accomplishments don't die....only people.did Einstein take his relativity theory to the grave with him?no.it's still taught to this day in standard physics texts.....(for example)

Melonie Tomb Raider
27-02-09, 15:10
In the gospel according to John, chapter 14:
once again in the gospel according to John, chapter 10:
these here verses signify that beyond a doubt - all men have sinned and will sin. Sins are "bad things" and if you were to follow what seems to have been taught to you, everyone will wind up in Hell. Rather the path to salvation is to accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior. Once a person has been saved, the devil cannot pluck you out of his hands. The affirmation of faith that is read before communion once a month is actually the key to salvation. Look closely at what you are reading and do not simply recite or repeat, and you will realize what it is.

and again... this is not to bash religion or even to cram it down anyone's throats. I myself don't attend church anymore since a couple years ago.

I agree with the main point you're making; however, I disagree with the notion that once you are saved, you cannot be taken out of the hands of God. The Bible specifically mentions backsliding, many people become saved and then abandon that. It's a lifestyle, not a quick decision. If you don't live by it, you don't got it, simply stated.

While our works and actions fall short, due to having sinned (everyone has), we can't rely on that, but on Jesus Christ instead. This does not mean, however, that we can accept that gift and then go about our merry ways acting like wild heathens. :vlol: Like I said, it's a lifestyle change. You won't live up to it in absolute perfection, but you still gotta live it to get it. :p

accomplishments don't die....only people.did Einstein take his relativity theory to the grave with him?no.it's still taught to this day in standard physics texts.....(for example)

By accomplishments I mean minial things, like becoming rich, or being a celebrity, etc. It really ain't gonna do much good for you when you're dead. :p

spikejones
27-02-09, 15:11
just to join in on the nitpicking... no hard feelings.

when you say (Mel) that the spirit remains - it sounds at though we all become ghosts?

Melonie Tomb Raider
27-02-09, 15:16
just to join in on the nitpicking... no hard feelings.

when you say (Mel) that the spirit remains - it sounds at though we all become ghosts?

Sounds like that, yes. I guess if you want to call it a ghost you can, but I consider it different.

I'm gong to sound silly by the description, because it's so simple, but it makes sense.

Our bodies are just houses for our spirits. Empty shells that our spirits live in, but when our bodies die, our spirits are still alive, because they are eternal. While some believe that death is nothingness, I believe differently. I believe that after you die, and even during the process, your spirit is aware, and the more your body dies, the more aware your spirit is. Death is not an end, it's a transition to the beginning. ;)

I don't think our spirits will be ghosts floating around the earth, though. I picture our spirits resembling our earthly bodies at least to some degree, being that we are made in the image of God.

spikejones
27-02-09, 15:21
I fully understand what you mean Mel, it just sounded as though when you said "remain" that it was as if our spirits remained in this realm of existence, rather than crossing over.

----

you present a valid point though about backsliding and just running off and becoming a heathen. I don't profess to know the full workings of religion. I've never read the whole bible cover to cover - and in the sense of Christianity, is it not only the New Testament that is necessary to take into consideration? When Christ was born and accepted as the king/savior, the new law was written - the new testament. however, I have heard that once you have accepted Christ as your savior, that your name is written in the "book of life" (as seen in Revelations) and that it will never be removed.

It has also been said - and I can't quote a scripture or book here on this one - that if you denounce the existence of God, that there is no hope of salvation ever :yik:

CerebralAssassin
27-02-09, 15:25
I've been pondering for a while a rather weird and interesting possiblity:that there are spirits,but not a God or a higher being...is it entirely necessary that these 2 must go together?:p

violentblossom
27-02-09, 15:32
I've been pondering for a while a rather weird and interesting possiblity:that there are spirits,but not a God or a higher being...is it entirely necessary that these 2 must go together?:p

i don't think its necessary at all.

spikejones
27-02-09, 15:37
as relates to my post above, I will point out that the Bible itself teaches - through the parable of the prodigal son - that even if one were to backslide and run off as a heathen, if his name WERE to be blotted out of the book of life, that it will be restored when the person returns to Christ. He will be welcomed back with open arms.

Cerebral Assasin:
I personally think that if we have spirits that it means there is a "God" or other spiritual higher power. That is our connection with the higher power. I can't envision a cataclysmic evolutionary event having taken place without some divine intervention (the odds of it happening as it did have been proven by scientists to be extraordinarily slim - where if anything were slightly different, we may well not even exist). at any rate, if you were to assume that it did all happen by mere coincidence or sheer luck, without a higher spiritual power - how then does a physical event give birth to a spiritual existence?

Melonie Tomb Raider
27-02-09, 15:38
I fully understand what you mean Mel, it just sounded as though when you said "remain" that it was as if our spirits remained in this realm of existence, rather than crossing over.

----

you present a valid point though about backsliding and just running off and becoming a heathen. I don't profess to know the full workings of religion. I've never read the whole bible cover to cover - and in the sense of Christianity, is it not only the New Testament that is necessary to take into consideration? When Christ was born and accepted as the king/savior, the new law was written - the new testament. however, I have heard that once you have accepted Christ as your savior, that your name is written in the "book of life" (as seen in Revelations) and that it will never be removed.

It has also been said - and I can't quote a scripture or book here on this one - that if you denounce the existence of God, that there is no hope of salvation ever :yik:

Some believe that only the New Testament is to be taken seriously, but the Bible mentions that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Therefore, I believe that the Old Testament is just as important as the new. Obviously, life has changed in a lot of ways, so things will seem different, but there's a lot of good that comes from the Old Testament, one strong point being the history.

And the Bible never says that once someone's name is written in the Book of Life that it will never be removed. Backsliders are common, and while some don't agree with that, I haven't come accross any scripture to back them up on it, rather the oppsite.

As far as the denouncing God and having no chance of salvation, I'd definitely need to see the scripture behind that before I can give my interpretation. I've heard that before as well, but I never recall reading it, and I have been reading the Bible for many years now. :p

as relates to my post above, I will point out that the Bible itself teaches - through the parable of the prodigal son - that even if one were to backslide and run off as a heathen, if his name WERE to be blotted out of the book of life, that it will be restored when the person returns to Christ. He will be welcomed back with open arms.

You're right. :D I'd just change the bolded "when" to "if". ;)

spikejones
27-02-09, 15:43
yup... my thoughts exactly - because there are many atheists in this world who have denounced god and if christianity is the valid religion to trump all others - there's a bunch of people who are doomed to an eternity of burning in hell for their past views.

at any rate - prodigal son story is the shining light of hope for many people who have backslid or have denounced god. they are his children one and all and will welcome them back with open arms.

as for the old testament - surely there are things in there which would no longer be acceptable - such as burning a goat as a sacrifice :yik:

TRhalloween
27-02-09, 15:52
I don't think there is a purpose of life. I'm just lucky that we have it lol

trtrailerman
27-02-09, 15:56
we're here so we can film the world with our pupil cameras for our true alien homeworld which we go to when we die ^_^

Archetype
27-02-09, 15:57
To create a better pyramid scheme than madoff's.

Or to carry out god's will for us ;)

EgyptianSoul
27-02-09, 16:18
I don't believe in a "god". I don't believe in hell or heaven either.

We are born and at the same moment our dying begins. I can't see any real purpose to all this. We just are, pointlessly wandering around on this big lump of land floating in the middle of nowhere.

:cool:

Because we don't know then truth I think it's worthless believing in something that we just have no proof of like life after death.

Reggie
27-02-09, 16:48

I really couldn't have said it any better.
My attitudes and values and ambitions in life centre around what I think would be its purpose. So if its not going to benefit any of my needs, or anyone else's needs then its not much good and to do something that's remembered for the right reasons by many generations to come can only be one of the greatest things to achieve. All I can do is live to be happy, live to be good to those I love and care for and live to achieve and contribute. What more can I do than that?

Of course not. I believe spirits are all around us in human, animal and plant form and they keep our planet alive as it is. I don't mean to go all Final Fantasy 7 or new age on anyone but its just the conclusion I've come to after reading a lot, being open minded and pondering the bigger scheme of things. But to ask me to put in writing what I believe would be a tall order. I'll work it out more as I get older though. :)

Bongo Fury
27-02-09, 16:59
yup... my thoughts exactly - because there are many atheists in this world who have denounced god and if christianity is the valid religion to trump all others - there's a bunch of people who are doomed to an eternity of burning in hell for their past views.

Not to interject to much here, but as an atheist (for lack of a better term) this kind of terminology is a bit misplaced. You are implying that atheists actually believe in a god and then are condemning him/her/it which is really not the case. At any rate, Ive heard that hell ain't a bad place to be:D

sheepydee
27-02-09, 17:02
purpose of life? is no purpose whoever put us here thot they would be funny:mad: life isnt nice

tranniversary119
27-02-09, 17:15
I think our purpose is to fulfill are needs as human beings. I've come to the conclusion there's far more PROOF to other ways we were created not from, "Adam+Eve" I've also pondered what happens once your human life is over. And it makes perfect sense to me now..If you can't remember what went on before your birth then you simply can't remember what happens after :wve: That's why, "Live your life to the fullest." Is a great saying. ;)

LaraLuvrrr
27-02-09, 19:00

Well actually some religions have thought this. In Kabbalah and Lukumi for example God is seen as very distant from humanity. We are such little specs that we can't even get near him only see what he has created. Just like an ant can't see anything more then the little crumbs on the floor in front of him but those crumbs came from a human eating which came from the processing of the food which the human did not see and the cycle goes on. So anyways according to these ancient religions God also created spirits in the realm we are currently in so that they can govern us. It is like all the heirachies in the government versus talking directly to the president. But even if there were no God then it could be then that life is just a process leading to some eventual thing. Buddhism does not acknowledge God. They believe in Nirvana instead of being "saved" by God or being "united" with God. It's more about your own spirit reaching a high state of consciousness based on ur actions. So anyways your idea does not sound farfetched in any way.

I don't think there is a purpose of life. I'm just lucky that we have it lol

Science proves everything has a reason. I don't believe in luck. I don't mean to sound sarcastic in any way but the planes ,trains, and technology you're using right now were not created by luck. Everything around us was not created by luck. We have created quite a bit through our knowledge of science which in my opinion science is the law of the great Spirit (God, Allah, w/e)

I think our purpose is to fulfill are needs as human beings. I've come to the conclusion there's far more PROOF to other ways we were created not from, "Adam+Eve" I've also pondered what happens once your human life is over. And it makes perfect sense to me now..If you can't remember what went on before your birth then you simply can't remember what happens after :wve: That's why, "Live your life to the fullest." Is a great saying. ;)

I have also pondered how we were created. I've gone through so many texts and so many theories that I'm left nowhere because so much of the evidence out there contradicts itself. But what I do know is that Africa contains the secrets of our creation. East Africa specifically. And the other thing I find facinating is that all ancient cultures in Africa worship a sea serpent or other kind of serpent. In fact the oldest known ritual site in Botswana was a giant carved Python believed to have been worshiped as the "creator." Funny being that Christianity associates snakes with Satan. Maybe our creation is a combination of evolution and creation. We know the earth formed after it rained alot and then an atmosphere developed and the Earth was originally nothing but water. Perhaps the first thing created was a snake that eventually found its way to land and evolved into other beings. Dinosaurs look snakeish lol. Idk Im just trying to come up with some connection laugh at me if you want lol :ton:

erosan
27-02-09, 19:33
Sounds like that, yes. I guess if you want to call it a ghost you can, but I consider it different.

I'm gong to sound silly by the description, because it's so simple, but it makes sense.

Our bodies are just houses for our spirits. Empty shells that our spirits live in, but when our bodies die, our spirits are still alive, because they are eternal. While some believe that death is nothingness, I believe differently. I believe that after you die, and even during the process, your spirit is aware, and the more your body dies, the more aware your spirit is. Death is not an end, it's a transition to the beginning. ;)

I don't think our spirits will be ghosts floating around the earth, though. I picture our spirits resembling our earthly bodies at least to some degree, being that we are made in the image of God.

I dont believe in god, i believe in a higher power, but my views are pretty similar to yours. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's not a matter of belief, but it's a sense and knowing that death is not final, but sort of a beggining.

loser66
27-02-09, 19:33
I found the real reason why...

What the South Park episode: "Cancelled"

Larapink
27-02-09, 20:03
Just to be alive, and live for today! :D

spikejones
27-02-09, 20:07
Not to interject to much here, but as an atheist (for lack of a better term) this kind of terminology is a bit misplaced. You are implying that atheists actually believe in a god and then are condemning him/her/it which is really not the case. At any rate, Ive heard that hell ain't a bad place to be:D
well... not to mince words or anything, but simply not believing in him is denouncing his existence. especially given the current scenario where one talks about god and then an atheist pops up and says "there is no god".

Andariel
27-02-09, 20:16
I think everyone gets to choose what their purpose in life is. Also I think the universal purpose is to make the world a better place.

Punaxe
27-02-09, 20:26
(...) Science proves everything has a reason. I don't believe in luck. I don't mean to sound sarcastic in any way but the planes ,trains, and technology you're using right now were not created by luck. Everything around us was not created by luck. (...)

Be sure not to mix up reason and intent... Science may find a reason for things that happen, but that does not mean those things were intended to happen.

Also, if by 'luck' you mean 'chance'... Nobody's arguing otherwise. But we are lucky to be here :p

TRhalloween
27-02-09, 20:36
Science proves everything has a reason. I don't believe in luck. I don't mean to sound sarcastic in any way but the planes ,trains, and technology you're using right now were not created by luck. Everything around us was not created by luck. We have created quite a bit through our knowledge of science which in my opinion science is the law of the great Spirit (God, Allah, w/e)

I don't think it's been proved. The way I see it we're just living organisms
formed on a giant rock (Earth). We created our own concepts and morals and are now living by them to go to Heaven (most people are), which I believe, doesn't exist. When it comes to planes, trains etc. obviously they weren't created by luck;we had our intentions on making them, but I don't think we created them because God said we should.

spikejones
27-02-09, 20:42
without going into biblical reference, does god tell anyone to do anything? nope... we have free will. on the subject of technology and such... whats with all the eco-fanatics that say such and such is bad because it isn't "natural"? HELLO!!! everything on this planet is natural! That train is natural - god didn't make it, but natural beings made it out of natural substances using tools that were made out of other natural substances etc.. man doesn't just snap his fingers and make things magically and supernaturally appear.

sorry... I just had to get that out.

LaraLuvrrr
27-02-09, 20:45
I don't think it's been proved. The way I see it we're just living organisms
formed on a giant rock (Earth). We created our own concepts and morals and are now living by them to go to Heaven (most people are), which I believe, doesn't exist. When it comes to planes, trains etc. obviously they weren't created by luck;we had our intentions on making them, but I don't think we created them because God said we should.

Ok so we were formed on a giant rock. If something is formed then something else forms it. According to natural law that is. If you can find something that was formed without something else causing it to be formed then it was created by nothing. And I don't think anyone can come up with something that was formed by nothing. We may not have the current explanation of how something was formed. But that is what science works to uncover. But everything around us was formed by something. So then we and the Earth were not formed by nothing. Something must have made this come about. The funny thing is that of all creatures on this earth we are the only ones that can also be "creators" and even create artificial intelligence. The very internet you're using right now exists but noone can physically know unless they log onto a computer. But even then the internet is not physically in front of you. It makes itself known through a glimpse you get of it through a portal like a computer.

Lee croft
27-02-09, 20:45
life is entertainment for god

spikejones
27-02-09, 20:56
Ok so we were formed on a giant rock. If something is formed then something else forms it. According to natural law that is. If you can find something that was formed without something else causing it to be formed then it was created by nothing. And I don't think anyone can come up with something that was formed by nothing. We may not have the current explanation of how something was formed. But that is what science works to uncover. But everything around us was formed by something. So then we and the Earth were not formed by nothing. Something must have made this come about. The funny thing is that of all creatures on this earth we are the only ones that can also be "creators" and even create artificial intelligence. The very internet you're using right now exists but noone can physically know unless they log onto a computer. But even then the internet is not physically in front of you. It makes itself known through a glimpse you get of it through a portal like a computer.

you describe the internet as if it were black magic :vlol:
actually.. on the topic of us being creators and such. Imagine that you have a snow dome and were able to create life within that snow dome - such as trilobytes. to those trilobytes, you are like a god. who is to say that we are not in some sort of much larger snow dome - the expanses of which are unknown to any living being since we have never traveled far enough to reach the outer limits? We may well be the trilobytes to a much larger entity, and it may continue on and on and on and on like so. Our "god"s little brother may have his little snow dome of trilobytes, and within that snowdome may be more and more and more.

but... this kind of theory is not a very popular one is it? to the world it is either "'god' created us and there is a heaven and hell or other form of afterlife - or he did not and there is nothing" what if we WERE created like mentioned in the snow dome theory - but there is no afterlife? we just die and rot and that is it. kinda throws the whole black/white religion/science debate for a loop and now enters a new foe.

what if the Hokey Pokey really IS what its all about?

LaraLuvrrr
27-02-09, 21:09
you describe the internet as if it were black magic :vlol:
actually.. on the topic of us being creators and such. Imagine that you have a snow dome and were able to create life within that snow dome - such as trilobytes. to those trilobytes, you are like a god. who is to say that we are not in some sort of much larger snow dome - the expanses of which are unknown to any living being since we have never traveled far enough to reach the outer limits? We may well be the trilobytes to a much larger entity, and it may continue on and on and on and on like so. Our "god"s little brother may have his little snow dome of trilobytes, and within that snowdome may be more and more and more.

but... this kind of theory is not a very popular one is it? to the world it is either "'god' created us and there is a heaven and hell or other form of afterlife - or he did not and there is nothing" what if we WERE created like mentioned in the snow dome theory - but there is no afterlife? we just die and rot and that is it. kinda throws the whole black/white religion/science debate for a loop and now enters a new foe.

what if the Hokey Pokey really IS what its all about?

The theory you're talking about is found in Theosophy. Which is basically that there are many planes of existence that we have yet to know of and they're all arranged in a certain way. And btw I am not talking about the internet like if it were black magic. You can interpret it however you please but what I'm saying is 100% true. If you did not have a computer you would not know there is something called the internet and yet it would still exist. It's an invisible force and yet it drives so much information. What if our brains are like computers that allow the internet (God-like force) to flow through each of us. Our intelligence may be a glimpse into other realms or states of consciousness that make themselves known through our capabilities. In other words our primal aspects are of this world but our reason comes from a higher place.

Punaxe
27-02-09, 21:12

It's hard to say anything against this, but I could make a similar point as in my previous reply:

Be sure not to mix up reason and intent... Science may find a reason for things that happen, but that does not mean those things were intended to happen. (...)

Sure, nothing just happens without cause, but that does not mean that any meaning would have to be attached to the happenings. These things happen naturally, automatically, according to the laws of physics.

spikejones
27-02-09, 21:22
The theory you're talking about is found in Theosophy. Which is basically that there are many planes of existence that we have yet to know of and they're all arranged in a certain way. And btw I am not talking about the internet like if it were black magic. You can interpret it however you please but what I'm saying is 100% true. If you did not have a computer you would not know there is something called the internet and yet it would still exist. It's an invisible force and yet it drives so much information. What if our brains are like computers that allow the internet (God-like force) to flow through each of us. Our intelligence may be a glimpse into other realms or states of consciousness that make themselves known through our capabilities. In other words our primal aspects are of this world but our reason comes from a higher place.
well for that matter - you could have a computer and STILL not know what the internet is, or you could know what the internet is and not have a computer. The part of it being "invisible" is only partially true - you can see the wires and devices and if you have proper software - can even see the information flowing across it. People understand the internet, it is tangible, and they don't need to have "faith" that it works - even though they may not know HOW it works, they just KNOW that it works. With a celestial power, it is much a different story. No one can see it, no one can feel it, no one can understand it fully, no one KNOWS that it exists, but they believe that it does, and they have FAITH that it does. as per the brain being a channel for the God-like force to flow through us, well I believe that is what the spirit is for. Whether or not you believe in out of body experiences, people have claimed to have had them - and no doubt if one were to perfect the method and could control it, they could seek out higher knowledge of an extraterrestrial (not of this world) type. But these OBEs are not tied to the brain - but rather to the spirit within us.

LaraLuvrrr
27-02-09, 21:43
well for that matter - you could have a computer and STILL not know what the internet is, or you could know what the internet is and not have a computer. The part of it being "invisible" is only partially true - you can see the wires and devices and if you have proper software - can even see the information flowing across it. People understand the internet, it is tangible, and they don't need to have "faith" that it works - even though they may not know HOW it works, they just KNOW that it works. With a celestial power, it is much a different story. No one can see it, no one can feel it, no one can understand it fully, no one KNOWS that it exists, but they believe that it does, and they have FAITH that it does. as per the brain being a channel for the God-like force to flow through us, well I believe that is what the spirit is for. Whether or not you believe in out of body experiences, people have claimed to have had them - and no doubt if one were to perfect the method and could control it, they could seek out higher knowledge of an extraterrestrial (not of this world) type. But these OBEs are not tied to the brain - but rather to the spirit within us.

Yea you could have a computer and not know what the internet is. Because you have not used it. But again it still exists the person just has not discovered it. And if you know what the internet is its because either someone told you about it or you have logged onto it through a computer. There's no other way to know. The wires and devices are not the internet itself only the person who knows they are used for the internet can make that connection. If I didn't know what the internet was and you show me some wires I'll say oh ok those are wires. Where's the internet? The software you talk about you could only use with a computer not the human mind so again a computer is needed. As for your faith argument, every single technological thing around you was at some point NOT KNOWN but someone had the FAITH to go about creating it. After it was created it was no longer FAITH. Now if we base everything off the current knowledge of science then we are doing a disservice to ourselves because throughout history science has evolved drastically. The lightbulb was not invented until Edison invented it. Now if you want to go back to the time before it was invented then yes the lightbulb was not KNOWN but Edison had FAITH and made it known. So I don't agree with your arguement based on what I have just described.

spikejones
27-02-09, 22:03
did I say we should revert to the way things were:confused:

what I was explaining to you though is that we don't know how the "god like flow" works - or if it even exists for that matter. But we do know how the internet works, and we do know that it exists.

Moving beyond that now: In order to call this a proper analogy - lets look at the internet and how it works:

there is no one central location for the internet. the internet is comprised of every single computer that is connected to it. I can sit here and send information to you, and you can send information to tlr online. We can do this through a middle man connection such as the web server we are on, through email, or even through a direct connection where I connect with a private secure connection directly to your machine.

And so... if you were to relate the internet as such to a "god like flow" to our brains, it would be almost like describing the Borg Collective where everyone is of the same conscious. I would in effect be able to telepathically send messages to whom ever I pleased - if the flow of knowledge worked like the internet.not sure if that is what you were trying to relate though? or were you perhaps trying to relate that our brains gain knowledge from just a single location being God?

I'm a bit perplexed by your choice of analogy.

LaraLuvrrr
27-02-09, 22:15
did I say we should revert to the way things were:confused:

what I was explaining to you though is that we don't know how the "god like flow" works - or if it even exists for that matter. But we do know how the internet works, and we do know that it exists.

Moving beyond that now: In order to call this a proper analogy - lets look at the internet and how it works:

there is no one central location for the internet. the internet is comprised of every single computer that is connected to it. I can sit here and send information to you, and you can send information to tlr online. We can do this through a middle man connection such as the web server we are on, through email, or even through a direct connection where I connect with a private secure connection directly to your machine.

And so... if you were to relate the internet as such to a "god like flow" to our brains, it would be almost like describing the Borg Collective where everyone is of the same conscious. I would in effect be able to telepathically send messages to whom ever I pleased - if the flow of knowledge worked like the internet.not sure if that is what you were trying to relate though? or were you perhaps trying to relate that our brains gain knowledge from just a single location being God?

I'm a bit perplexed by your choice of analogy.

I was talking about reverting to the way things were only to show that we can not know definitely whether God exists or not using only the current knowledge of science. If back then someone said that airplanes can exist and someone said they could not exist then they were both right because the airplane didnt exist until man created it using their knowledge. So basically people who believe in God and who do not are both right. Because technically until the proof of God exists then noone can definitely approve or disprove it. Now faith is what has led to all the innovations in science. So it should not be treated as a waste the way atheists pessimistically like to treat it. If we don't have faith then nothing will change because faith is the first step to attaining what you want. Unless it falls on your lap which likely will not happen.

I used the internet analogy to compare it to the way we are just human bodies but through our minds we can create and destroy and use logic the same way the natural law or force (God) does. If we did not exist then only nature could create and destroy on a vast scale no animal could do that on their own. So we are the computers through which God (the internet) makes itself known. I believe that our intelligent capabilities are not like the primates you see all around this world but are instead from this higher source. Now the whole telepathy thing I think that we will be able to send messages through our minds some day but our brains would have to have evolved much more.

Andariel
27-02-09, 22:19
I once asked myself: What created "God"? So because of this question I don't think anything is ever created; just transformed. That means everything that exists.

spikejones
27-02-09, 22:35
I once asked myself: What created "God"? So because of this question I don't think anything is ever created; just transformed. That means everything that exists.
well... if God was transformed from something, what was he/she/it before that, and where did it come from?
So basically people who believe in God and who do not are both right. Because technically until the proof of God exists then noone can definitely approve or disprove it.
Funny how some would disagree with you though. In the words of Dr. Greg House: "Just because you don't know the right answer, doesn't make it right or even okay - its just wrong." (house is an atheist by the way)

But I don't know how much proof that science will be able to lend towards the existence or non existence of god. It seems to me that a lot in the scientific community will interpret their findings to mean that god does not exist, while at the same time - you can look at those same findings as proof that he does exist. But the fact that he is on another plane of existence presents a dilemma in proving or disproving his existence. He is not a physical being and as such would require unconventional and as of yet non existent means in order to "see him" and know he exists. Unless you just count the spiritual bond that already exists, yet people seem so eager to discount as lunacy because it has never happened to them. But if we were to be able to prove or disprove the existence of God, what then is the point?

LaraLuvrrr
27-02-09, 22:36

Yea that's a possibility. Everything is a system instead of there having to be a creator. I think that may be closer to the truth. The Mayans viewed time as cyclical instead of linear. In a line you have a start and end a creator and a destroyer. But in a cycle there is no creator or destroyer. Everything just is in constant motion.

spikejones
27-02-09, 22:41
but then that throws in the question still of how things came to be the way that they are? I can see the validity of the time running in a circle - they do say that "history repeats itself" after all. time having no beginning and no end lends very much credence to the possibility that it runs in a loop. So would that mean that however large the time loop is, that eventually we are going to re-experience the big bang?

LaraLuvrrr
27-02-09, 22:50
but then that throws in the question still of how things came to be the way that they are? I can see the validity of the time running in a circle - they do say that "history repeats itself" after all. time having no beginning and no end lends very much credence to the possibility that it runs in a loop. So would that mean that however large the time loop is, that eventually we are going to re-experience the big bang?

Well that is what some scientists have theorized. If time is cyclical then the universe will eventually stop growing and will start to shrink again back into the big bang and then it will happen again. But then I'm not sure what the "point" to everything is. Maybe there is no point we just have to accept the consequences of our actions. I mean we can work so hard to build something only to watch it fall down. So perhaps the purpose of life is just to maintain balance. And if you fall too much to the "evil" or "good" side you will not feel well. But then what is really good and bad? W/e these questions have been asked since BC so we still don't know lol. I'm just happy to be open to all possibilities and I don't get caught up in atheism or any one religion. Whatever the truth is I will humbly accept it because truth is the purest of all things.

spikejones
27-02-09, 23:01
but then we get into the whole debate of "what is truth?" Is science truth? Science says that there is gravity and that the gravitational acceleration of any given object on earth is -9.81m/s^2 , but science ALSO says that each object in the universe - big or small - has its own gravitational field, and there is an equation to represent that as well. But if each object has its own gravitational field - then not all objects can possibly have the same gravitational acceleration. And then as well it would not be true that in a vacuum, a feather would fall at the same rate and hit the ground at the same time as a bowling ball, if both were to be dropped at the same precise instant. Which is true? Which is false?

Twilight
27-02-09, 23:04
not every single person here is here for the same exact thing. it's silly to try to have one answer for all the billions of people here. everyone has their own desires and answers.

LaraLuvrrr
27-02-09, 23:06
Maybe truth can change lol I guess there's no truth. Idk then. Life's a paradox and it doesn't make much sense... lol that's from a Madonna song. I just read an article that the oldest known human footprints were found in Northern Kenya today. Its like 1.5 million years old.

Andariel
27-02-09, 23:19
Perhaps there was a "God" and maybe it no longer exists and all that's left is the Universe from the Big Bang. You can research Pandeism and learn more about that concept.

Punaxe
27-02-09, 23:21
but then we get into the whole debate of "what is truth?" Is science truth? Science says that there is gravity and that the gravitational acceleration of any given object on earth is -9.81m/s^2 , but science ALSO says that each object in the universe - big or small - has its own gravitational field, and there is an equation to represent that as well. But if each object has its own gravitational field - then not all objects can possibly have the same gravitational acceleration. And then as well it would not be true that in a vacuum, a feather would fall at the same rate and hit the ground at the same time as a bowling ball, if both were to be dropped at the same precise instant. Which is true? Which is false?

Negative acceleration? :p

Also, it's not 9,81 everywhere on Earth as the Earth's gravitational field is not equal everywhere. Gravity and the formula you use is about the force that the Earth exerts on other objects. What you are saying is simply that the other way around - the force the object exerts on the Earth - is not included. And indeed it is not. Nor is 9,81 a constant. The formula holds true, its variables change.

da tomb raider!
27-02-09, 23:28
One word: Dreamcast.

spikejones
27-02-09, 23:29
Negative acceleration? :p

Also, it's not 9,81 everywhere on Earth as the Earth's gravitational field is not equal everywhere. Gravity and the formula you use is about the force that the Earth exerts on other objects. What you are saying is simply that the other way around - the force the object exerts on the Earth - is not included. And indeed it is not. Nor is 9,81 a constant. The formula holds true, its variables change.
the negative meaning you move downwards on the Z axis silly:tea:
and seriously that is how it was taught in my "advanced physics" class in high school. according to wiki.. and not much credence you can really put in that, that is the gravitational acceleration at sea level.

Punaxe
27-02-09, 23:35
But the point remains: that it does not tell the entire story, does not make it false. The formula is true for what it represents. I'm sure the two gravitational pulls can be combined by another formula, although it would be negligible anyway.

Benguitar
27-02-09, 23:40
I believe my purpose in life is to serve and have a relationship with Jesus Christ.

It is my belief and am NOT forcing it on anyone. :)

spikejones
27-02-09, 23:41
tis a pity they teach it as such though - without saying that it is not always constant. because then you have to unlearn that which you learned as the undisputable universality, in order to learn the real truth. that doesn't just apply to that though - but to many things.

Punaxe
27-02-09, 23:49
tis a pity they teach it as such though - without saying that it is not always constant. because then you have to unlearn that which you learned as the undisputable universality, in order to learn the real truth. that doesn't just apply to that though - but to many things.

So to come back to the question for which you raised the issue...

but then we get into the whole debate of "what is truth?" Is science truth? (...)

I would say it is. Of course not everything in science is regarded as a fact yet, but the things that are, yes, they are truth, I'd say.

Lara Croft!
28-02-09, 09:50
Αdd the number of the first people on earth according to the bible with the number of commandments God gave to men. Then take out the number of Christ's disciplines and the sum will be the purpose of life...

This is of course a joke!:D

Twiin
28-02-09, 10:21
To live, to learn, to love and to respect.
Fulfill your dreams, respect the dreams of others, to try, to laugh, to continue when you don't quite succeed. Make meaningful relationships and take responsibility for your own actions.
Life is subjective; it is only what you make of it.

And, as Akhenaton said, "Wisdom is less presuming than folly - a wise man changes his mind often, a fool remains obstinate and knows everything but his own ignorance." (or words to that effect)
So in essence, understand your shortcomings, evolve as a person, be open to change whilst also keeping in contact with that which you are and have been.

This sounds more like a way of living rather than the purpose of such... but what is the point of wondering if the answers will never become clear? It's a moot point, in my opinion, to consider life meaningless...

ShadyCroft
28-02-09, 10:23
^^ :vlol: good one, Lora !

Purpose of life ? If it was really easy to define and known, we wouldn't be having this conversation now would we ?

Can you ever imagine a conversation following the question "What's the color of the sky on a clear day ?"

I think not, most likely. But its not the case here.

For me, it is to be good, do good and be appreciative.

Drone
28-02-09, 14:07
purpose of life = life itself. Because He designed that.

Bumio
28-02-09, 19:44
i think the purpose of life is to love and spread love around you :)
i don't even know where i got this idea, i think i dreamed it.

Indiana Croft
28-02-09, 20:14
i just think life is an experiment. to see what a creature will do when given the universe. I can't really think of a purpose beyond that. I mean this is a tough question. Why are we here?

LaraLuvrrr
28-02-09, 23:58
Well I figured out what I think the purpose of life is. Humanity as a whole is trying to work towards creating heaven on Earth. "Thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." I've always looked at Christianity as a dogmatic pathetic religion but in reality that was only because I was brought up Catholic and saw the hypocrisy of Catholics when they were not in church. However, now that I revisit Christ and Christianity I realize it is not about dogmas... it is simply about creating heaven on Earth through selflessness and love. That simple. All the bull**** about what is sin is ultimately secondary to the teachings of Christ. Sin is the evil you know is wrong, that goes against love but you do it anyways. So I think Christ accepts gays actually I think God accepts every type of person. Noone is going to hell unless it is of their own choosing and even then they can get out of it. But just because one doesnt believe in Christ doesnt mean they go to hell as long as they follow his teaching of selfless love of humanity and all creatures. The purpose of life will make itself known since we are all here on a mission to learn from our errors and help one another gain the higher state of consciousness known as heaven or Nirvana. Christ, Buddha, Ghandi, they all believed in non-violence and selfless love and non-materialism. So this in my opinion is the truth. We have inherent in ourselves the primal side that allows us to kill but those who lives of that side do not evolve and science shows we must evolve. So let's evolve towards a higher consciousness that can create and preserve life and not destroy it. Oh wow I sound like a damn idealistic preacher lmao.... This all came at once to my mind so sorry for the text wall. :o

spikejones
01-03-09, 04:58
"Thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."
I've always looked at this part of the prayer as meaning Armageddon, or the end times, as depicted in Revelations. Jesus is prophesied to make his return to Earth and thus "thy kingdom come" and his will shall be done on Earth - just as it is done now in Heaven.
So to come back to the question for which you raised the issue...

I would say it is. Of course not everything in science is regarded as a fact yet, but the things that are, yes, they are truth, I'd say.
too bad I didn't stick around to discuss that. at any rate, it was meant to be a thought provoking question to go deeper than just accepting science as the only truth. There are many truths out there that are not defined by science, but must be sought out in order to learn. Indeed, there are likely many things that science simply cannot prove or disprove - but are true nonetheless.

QiX
01-03-09, 05:32
I am not a religious person at all but I do understand and respect people who are, we all have the right to guide ourselves through this life according to our very own beliefs. What I don't understand is the tendency of some people to discriminate other people's beliefs, like theirs is the one and only possible truth.

No matter what you expect to see in the afterlife (if you believe on it), the fact is that after you die you will remain in your close relations' memories, or in what you have built in life through your work. This is what I call your personal legacy, to be aware that you are alive now in this world, that your acts have consequences, that this is your home now, and after you're gone people will have to live with what you left behind. You may be hated or loved then by people who knew you, this is not the point. The most important thing to keep in mind is that we all share this planet, and to accept the responsibility of this fact.

Notice I'm not talking anything religious, how you care of your afterlife and what you do to pursue a state of happiness then is up to your beliefs. What I say is never forget that people will be living exactly where you are now for the millenia to come, so just don't screw up things around you, or at least not that badly that they could not be easily fixed ;)

aileenwuornos
01-03-09, 06:10
Come on. Every one knows the answer to life, the universe and everything is 42.

I thought that was put as a disclaimer on all religious texts and scientific journal these days:

WARNING, WE KNOW THE ANSWER AND IT'S FORTY-TWO.

On a different note. I am on the permanent quest for self enlightenment, self-empowerment and self-respect. **** anything else.
Everyone here needs to check out the movie Zeitgeist. It answers so many questions.

Tyrannosaurus
01-03-09, 06:53
Where the hell did you hear that?

dox online
01-03-09, 06:53
To get tomb raider,
To get an Xbox 360!

voltz
01-03-09, 07:02
Oo9buo9Mtos

digitizedboy
01-03-09, 11:19
I don't know the reason. It's supposed to be a mystery maybe? It's evident that everything goes in a circle though, or a "cycle". The moon goes around the earth, the earth goes around the sun, people are born and people die everyday. Maybe we ourselves go into some recycling process. Kinda like reincarnation? I hope not though, I wouldn't want to come back to this awful place. Knowing my luck, I'd come back as myself.

spikejones
03-03-09, 03:13
I'm not overly sure of the whole reincarnation as another life form thing. my thoughts tell me that if that was the case - there would only ever be a fixed number of beings across the board - plants, animals, etc.. but history proves this is not the case, as total population across the board will fluctuate upwards and downwards throughout time. so lets say then that new life is capable of being brought about as a first carnation - it would seem that everyone and everything on this planet is in their first carnation and not a reincarnation. Nobody has any knowledge of any past lives do they? I don't - and I highly doubt that any seance could put me in contact with some previous life either. I believe that quite simply we are born, we die, and we go on to the afterlife (heaven, hell, purgatory, etc.. what have you - but not being born into another earthly body).

Laurencarter
03-03-09, 03:25
From my Christian point of view the purpose of life is to live out God's will for us; to live the way he wants us to live and to spread his word across the world so all can be saved.

Andromeda66
03-03-09, 04:19
I've thought about this a lot too. When I find an answer to this question, I'll be rollicking in Nirvana.

I think to ponder whether things do indeed have a "divine" purpose is, in my opinion, pointless. Because you can never subjectively prove or disprove it. It tends to, then, become overly speculative and completely meaningless. I mean its great for imagination but not if you're really looking for an answer.

trXD
03-03-09, 04:50
To pursue happiness. Thats all we are doing our entire lives.

Andromeda66
03-03-09, 04:57

So are we talking about human life, or life in general?

Because one could argue that some animals just wanna survive. Thats their main aim. To get by without becoming someone's lunch.

EmeraldFields
03-03-09, 04:59
I don't know what the purpose of life is.

I suppose it can be whatever you want it to be.

rowanlim
03-03-09, 06:22

So are we talking about human life, or life in general?

Because one could argue that some animals just wanna survive. Thats their main aim. To get by without becoming someone's lunch.

Then I'd say that the purpose of life is to try & live through anything that makes it fulfilling & happier before we die :)

LaraLuvrrr
03-03-09, 17:51
I've always looked at this part of the prayer as meaning Armageddon, or the end times, as depicted in Revelations. Jesus is prophesied to make his return to Earth and thus "thy kingdom come" and his will shall be done on Earth - just as it is done now in Heaven.

Well you could look at it that way. But I personally do not believe in Armageddon. I think we as humans are evolving to try to get back to the original Garden of Eden. Where we all lived in peace and love... My belief is that the story of Adam and Eve is meant to show how we were once in perfect harmony with God but became dysfunctional. And now we are working to regain that perfect harmony. That's why slowly but surely the world is becoming more connected and less discriminative. The kingdom of heaven is filled with holy love so when I say that prayer it is basically me saying "I want to create thy heaven on Earth." And I can create it through the teachings of Jesus which is helping the less fortunate and loving unconditionally. Although it is hard to actually always keep that in practice.