PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Announces Windows 7 Changes.

Titanium
27-02-09, 14:37
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-announces-windows-7-changes-550405

And also they're going to be adding .mov video support without the need of Quicktime or a third party player.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-7-to-loosen-quicktime-grip-552193

MattTR
27-02-09, 14:52
Well that's interesting, I've never been a fan of Quicktime, just never seemed to work right with me..

But I'm sticking away from Windows 7.. It seems like Vista just came out and it still has some things that need changing, they need to stop contantly coming out with new things and start fixing the old..

irjudd
27-02-09, 14:57
Some nice little tweaks.

I'm currently very happy using the 7000 build of Windows 7 exclusively at work. I can say that 8 hours a day every day with it has been nothing but a pleasant experience.

Because of my nice experience, I'll gladly buy it for my home computer to replace XP the day it's publicly available.

Punaxe
27-02-09, 15:17
A more complete list is available at the Engineering Windows 7 blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/02/26/some-changes-since-beta.aspx) (as linked to in the OP's source). Looking good, I too am definitely going to get this :tmb:

ShadyCroft
27-02-09, 15:33
I'm still using Windows XP here :), but will surely try it when it comes out.

Quite frankly, XP works like a charm with me.

irjudd
27-02-09, 15:41
I'm still using Windows XP here :), but will surely try it when it comes out.

Quite frankly, XP works like a charm with me.
Oh definitely, XP gets the job done. But at over 8 years old, it's definitely showing its age. I'm ready for an upgrade.

Larapink
27-02-09, 22:52
This is why I am staying with XP still it's more stable, after all these years! :D

I have got Vista on my Laptop, vista seems to take up too much space. About Mac's also, I used them for 2 years they are okay but no better than Windows.

badboy70
27-02-09, 23:06
I installed Windows 7 yesterday, and only encountered minor bugs.

eg : When you change the name of a fodler and open it, in the bar with the path the old names still is there.

Overall I'm very pleased with it :D

Drone
27-02-09, 23:19
it works pretty good. I like that it has .Net Framework by default so I don't need to download and install it. I also like Windows Media Player 12 it can play avi files so I don't need my k-lite pack yet even tho wmp12 codecs expire somewhere in March. An update is yet to come.

I also like IE8 RC 1, works much better than IF7. It's fisrt time in history when I can say that Internet Explorer works really fast and never slows down. Thumbs up!

Windows Explorer is good too, never crashes (in xp it crashes sometimes). Windows Update works cool. More simple. Windows Search 4 is really slow. Indexing takes too much time and actually is totally useless. But I hope they will fix it. Anyway atm I don't use it.

New super sidebar and taskbar are sexy I like them.

Directx11 with shader model 4.1 support is fine. At least I can play Halo 2 without any problems. Runs really fast and smooth.

Win7 will be great to me as XP was. Can't wait for April to test another beta version. :)

Benguitar
28-02-09, 00:57
Interesting that they are killing off Quicktime..? :confused:

Punaxe
28-02-09, 00:58
Interesting that they are killing off Quicktime..? :confused:

They're doing the opposite in my book.

Ward Dragon
28-02-09, 01:01
Some nice little tweaks.

I'm currently very happy using the 7000 build of Windows 7 exclusively at work. I can say that 8 hours a day every day with it has been nothing but a pleasant experience.

Because of my nice experience, I'll gladly buy it for my home computer to replace XP the day it's publicly available.

Do you happen to know how Windows 7 works with games? I need a new PC soon and I don't particularly like Vista on my brother's PC so I guess I'll have to wait for Windows 7. I'd hate to buy a new PC with Vista and then have to pay for Windows all over again a few months later when Windows 7 comes out.

Encore
28-02-09, 01:04
Some nice little tweaks.

Glad to hear that! I'm sticking with XP until I'm SURE this would be a significant improvement though...

voltz
28-02-09, 02:59
I wish they would add links for other browsers such at firefox, opera or safari as an option so everyone trying to sue explorer out would keep it to themselves.

Exactly HOW are we supposed to install anything without having a browser to begin with?

Punaxe
28-02-09, 03:07
^ I think they're actually doing that, in the form of offering different packages, one with IE, others with other browsers. At least I think that was the outcome of a recent lawsuit in the EU... Whether or not that deal is coming to America, I don't know.

irjudd
28-02-09, 03:53
Do you happen to know how Windows 7 works with games? I need a new PC soon and I don't particularly like Vista on my brother's PC so I guess I'll have to wait for Windows 7. I'd hate to buy a new PC with Vista and then have to pay for Windows all over again a few months later when Windows 7 comes out.
Well, to be honest I can't say, because W7 is what I use at work, not at home for play. But I did happen to test the classic TRs, and The Sims 2 for compatibility and those both run fine. I wasn't concerned to test new games, since it's a given that they'd work, but rather older ones I wanted to investigate. And they worked good. :)

spikejones
28-02-09, 04:17
I'm more interested not in software, but about the hardware aspects of things.. it doesn't look like ATI has any "windows 7" drivers out, so does that mean it runs fine with the vista drivers?