PDA

View Full Version : General Punk Rock (and other such music) Thread

spikejones
28-02-09, 04:57
However antithetical it may be to create a thread that conforms to a standard of the forums, in order to discuss a genre that prides itself upon non-conformity... I figured it would be a nice breath of fresh air to create a thread where us punk rockers, goths, emos, ska(ists:confused), and other non-mainstream/non-popular music listeners could come together and discuss some of our favorite groups and songs. Perhaps be able to spread around the word of any good underground bands we know. Links to videos are more than welcome of course!!

For starters, I'll go ahead and say that my first introduction into punk rock was during high school when I picked up a Rancid CD. The self titled black album actually. From there I moved on to listening to groups like GWAR, Misfits, The Damned, Bad Religion, Social Distortion, Ramones, The Carrs (even though they aren't hardcore, they've got some tunes reminiscent of the Ramones), The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Bouncing Souls, Link 80, and NoFx. Of all those bands, I'd have to say that Bad Religion is my all time favorite. Their lead singer is one hell of an intelligent guy and works magic with his metaphors in order to send out a statement that rings clear and true. Next up we have Link 80. I guess you would call this a ska band rather than punk rock, but I love the use of the horns. Misfits, well just look at Glenn Danzig and need I say more? Regardless of where they are on my scale of favoritism - all those bands I've mentioned before are awesome and I can relate to a number of songs by all of them. I think punk rock and a lot of these other unpopular genres have a lot of good messages to them that a lot of people should hear, but its just a shame that people listen to the sounds and are turned off by it and immediatly jump to the assumption of "angry music" when that is not always the case. I find myself a lot of times having to tell people not just to listen to the music - listen to the lyrics.

At any rate, I'd love to hear some discussion of you all's favorite non-conformist groups. And some informative as well as audio links please. Lets spread the joy!!

New Dark Ages
RGqA1lNXYhg

Bongo Fury
28-02-09, 06:42
many good bands listed there. first for me where the Sex Pistols and then Ramones. Never mind the bullocks was just awe inspiring the first time I heard it. Bad Religion and Social Distortion are long time favorites too.

That being said - here is the Patti Smith Group. The high priestess of punk as they used to say. I still think she is the high water mark lyrically. Love her cover of hey joe with the Patty Hearst blurbs (1974 remember)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6aUbrZYjYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6hbb8RHQKc

Nefertiti_89
28-02-09, 06:56
^ I concurr, the Sex Pistols have got to be my favourite punk band of all time, and really if you ask me they are the genuine article, and the ball that got it all rolling. I dont think I could pick a favourite song, it changes all the time, but my favourite album would most probably be Nevermind the Bullocks, but it is close between it and Kiss This and I think it fluctuates depending what kind of mood I'm in.

I often wonder what Sid would have to say about the punk bands around today...One of my favourite quotes of all time is one of his:

“Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but don’t let them take you ALIVE.”

I used to live my life by that, and do a degree I still do (I can be quite the ****-stirrer if I feel like it), I'm just a bit more subtle about it now!

Carbonek_0051
28-02-09, 07:11
All great bands listed on there, I don't know if any of you have heard of this punk band but I love them. They have great messages in their songs mainly this one:

mot5QEecT1M

"East and West could not agree
So their generals gave a call and gathered troops at the border
With guns ready, drawn and aimed
each side was praying to a God
to bless them with strength and courage
it was in His name that artillery lit the sky on fire
the people sang protest songs to try and stop the soldier's gun

Protest Songs in a response to Military Aggression
Protest songs to try and stop the soldier's gun
But the battle raged on......"

Full lyrics:http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/againstme/whitepeopleforpeace.html

Two other good modern punk bands I just happen to love are Alkaline Trio & Bayside.

Alkaline Trio:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtMkV-Ibl9Y

Bayside:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYHrsa36Xk

touchthesky
28-02-09, 09:35
My favourite punk/alternative band will always be;

OT57BmjW1Tg

give em a go ;P

TR93
28-02-09, 11:12
Hmmm Punk Rock:D..
Green Day and The Offspring count?????:p

Love'm!

Goose
28-02-09, 11:16
Punk and heavy metal have never been more significant then now.

I think there wasnt a more heavy metal leader then president bush, even if he was an idiot. The punk and metal generation have never had such a time to shine, not the bands, but the fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y_5vxM8PYM&feature=related

ShadyCroft
28-02-09, 11:33
^^ Not where I live. Heavy metal here is still considered Satanic related music by most people. Hip hop, pop and RnB are the players in town here.

Does metal music count here ? I like a band that no one here, not a single living soul has heard of it, which is a shame cause they're great.

I present you...Kamelot. ;)

I438RH1oUJc

Goose
28-02-09, 12:25
^^ Not where I live. Heavy metal here is still considered Satanic related music by most people. Hip hop, pop and RnB are the players in town here.

Does metal music count here ? I like a band that no one here, not a single living soul has heard of it, which is a shame cause they're great.

I present you...Kamelot. ;)

I438RH1oUJc

If you think heavy metal is satanic, then you like a satanic band, kamelot is metal. Power metal, which is just a sub category of heavy metal.

If you like that, you should check out Manowar:

BjgdBPGdL7E

Hiphop and rap contributes to more deaths then Metal ever has in the west. Metal and Hiphop are basically the soundtrack to war in Iraq and Afghanistan. When they make movies about it, they will be the OST's.

Atlantisfreak666
28-02-09, 14:18
Anyone like X-ray spex?

2sl-7RSiRXE

Joely-Moley
28-02-09, 15:57
I love you for this thread. :p

Punk music saved my life. It really did. It's the heart and soul of me as cheesy as I'm sure that sounds.

I’m too hung over to go find youtube videos. But some bands I love: The clash, Pistols, Rancid, Unseen, Anti-flag, Descendants, Circle Jerks, 7 seconds, Civet, Misfits, Bad Religion, Cancer Bats, Social Distortion, Ramones, Distillers. More to come!

ShadyCroft
28-02-09, 17:12
If you think heavy metal is satanic, then you like a satanic band, kamelot is metal. Power metal, which is just a sub category of heavy metal.

No, I don't think metal music or bands are satanic, at least not all of them.

I never got a vibe of Satanism from Kamelot at all.

Encore
28-02-09, 17:14
The band that got me into it was the Sex Pistols, I idolized Johnny Rotten when I was a kid. But then I discovered The Clash which for me are the best band ever to come out of the punk era, and in fact probably the best band ever, period. And after The Clash, my fav punk band is Die Toten Hosen. ;) I also like Rise Against, Molotov, Rancid, but more on a casual listener degree.

I also like what is commonly known as "emo" (though I don't like to call it such) - anyways, My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds to Mars, Funeral for a Friend, Matchbook Romance, AFI (though I'm pretty sure the first albums by AFI were punk rock), etc.

In terms of metal I love Metallica and Sepultura in terms of old school stuff, but Deftones and Tool are probably my favs right now. NIN and Rammstein for when it comes to industrial.

Goose
28-02-09, 18:23
No, I don't think metal music or bands are satanic, at least not all of them.

I never got a vibe of Satanism from Kamelot at all.

Because heavy metal isnt about satanism, black metal is. Its just a misconception.

ShadyCroft
28-02-09, 18:29
Because heavy metal isnt about satanism, black metal is. Its just a misconception.

I agree with you there. :tmb:

touchthesky
28-02-09, 18:50
I love you for this thread. :p

Punk music saved my life. It really did. It's the heart and soul of me as cheesy as I'm sure that sounds.

I’m too hung over to go find youtube videos. But some bands I love: The clash, Pistols, Rancid, Unseen, Anti-flag, Descendants, Circle Jerks, 7 seconds, Civet, Misfits, Bad Religion, Cancer Bats, Social Distortion, Ramones, Distillers. More to come!

Another Distillers fan? Wonderful. Do you like Spinnerette as well?

spikejones
28-02-09, 22:16
Hmmm Punk Rock:D..
Green Day and The Offspring count?????:p

Love'm!
There's a few songs from those bands that I like, although I'm not quite positive if you can call them punk rock or not - however the genre has evolved so much since it first started that people who look at modern punk bands would look at something like the Ramones - The Godfathers of Punk Rock - and just be like "WTF?!? they aren't punk!" In no way do I profess to be an expert on the genre, however I know that I call the bands that I have mentioned previously to be punk rock or post punk. But, if you like those two bands, you may like Pennywise and Dead Kennedys

Holiday in Cambodia (Dead Kennedys)
vypd--oV7Ng

Blitzkreig Bop (Pennywise) - remake and tribute to Joey Ramone
AflIFi2Dhjo

digitizedboy
28-02-09, 22:53
^ I was about to mention the dead kennedy's, because nobody mentioned them before you... "California Uber Alles!" :D

Really though, everything I like has already been mentioned. (especially The Clash) I do however, like the fusion between punk and ska too. I think this was done first in the late 70s punk era and was noted as 2-tone. Clever and unique really, and there's a few bands that have emulated that scene since. More notably in the 90s though...

jackles
28-02-09, 22:57
Talking about two tone I can remember being at specials gig that was more like a mass brawl!

Punk wise I guess the closest I came to seeing any groups like that would be Siouxsie and the banshees who I saw about five times.

Other than that I mostly saw 80's indie groups like the cult, echo and bunnymen and my beloved Smiths...stuff like that.

Atlantisfreak666
28-02-09, 22:59
Talking about two tone I can remember being at specials gig that was more like a mass brawl!

Punk wise I guess the closest I came to seeing any groups like that would be Siouxsie and the banshees who I saw about five times.

Other than that I mostly saw 80's indie groups like the cult, echo and bunnymen and my beloved Smiths...stuff like that.

I love Siouxsie!

spikejones
28-02-09, 23:03
seeing as how nobody has mentioned any of Link 80 aside from myself - I shall educate you all :p :D Unfortunately there is not a video for my favorite song by them: "addiction" but I can post the lyrics here -

Addiction

addiction.. two faces of. addiction... it's always an addiction, that makes your life an all out race. addiction... so face your. addiction... cause when you race addiction, you'll always end up in second place. you cannot rely on the drug or the drink. they can't save you forever. doesn't matter what you think. addiction finds a way to make you not understand. the reason why you seem to be stuck without a plan. fact of the matter is that it's you against you until your number gets pulled. the cradle fell because the bough broke and now the piper wants his payment in full. it seems to me that you're addicted to pain. you're used to everything not going your way. you're searching high and low for a better way to think. but it always leads you back to the drug and the drink. you say that it's your savior, but both you and i know that that's a bunch of ****ing bull. you bit the hand that feeds you. now you got no place to go and the piper wants his payment in full.
^true story - coming from one who has lived that.
and to give you an idea of the music it would be set to, I can link a video of a song from the same album.

My Girl
ooC98r83Ph0

jackles
28-02-09, 23:05
*grins* Best gig I went to see siouxsie at, was at the Albert Hall, I was dancing stood on the seat until I realised that if I fell, I would topple out of the stalls and plummet about a hundred feet to the ground!

digitizedboy
28-02-09, 23:11

haha really? I hate that. I wished I had of been old enough to have gone to some of their gigs though. (the less violent ones of course)

jackles
28-02-09, 23:19
Jerry Dammers had a fight with someone in the audience. There wasn't any 'Free Nelson Mandela' that day I can tell you!! It was still a great gig. I wish I could remember who supported them. Possibly the Selector. I think it has gone out of my mind with the sheer adrenaline of it all! I also saw several Bad Manners gigs. Fatty threw his boots in the audience and I caught them....until they were ripped from my hands. Not that I wanted them anyway.
:cln:

Joely-Moley
28-02-09, 23:30
KC2sx4U4FtQ
The Rabble, This world is dead feat Mark Unseen
I'm really loving these guys right now. They are really tearing up the punk scene right now, they put on an amazing live show, so much energy.

spikejones
01-03-09, 00:19
Jerry Dammers had a fight with someone in the audience.
:cln:
I remember back in my highschool days we had a free punk rock concert out in Havelock with a bunch of highschool bands, one of which was headed up by a guy named Seth Parker. At the time he was with a band called "The Immorals Suck" and then went on to a band called "God". At any rate, there was a fight that broke out between gigs and the police had to break it up. Not sure what it was over really - may have been a band rivalry or whatever. But it was still a great show and it was in memory of some girl (I can't remember her name) who died in a drunk driving accident. One of the other bands I can think of that was there was "Change Thursday".

The Rabble, This world is dead feat Mark Unseen
I'm really loving these guys right now. They are really tearing up the punk scene right now, they put on an amazing live show, so much energy.
sounds good! :jmp: *looks for mosh pit emote*

digitizedboy
01-03-09, 16:00
Jerry Dammers had a fight with someone in the audience. There wasn't any 'Free Nelson Mandela' that day I can tell you!!

haha that was a great quote! Yeah, but I can imagine him to be kinda nuts. But saying that, some people in the audience can go over the top. Gigs though should be intense, and I'm guessing that was too. It's not just the passion of the music right? It's the atmosphere of being there too, being involved. :)

spikejones
05-03-09, 04:02
thats what its all about though isnt it? being able to spread your message and having a good time :tmb:

The energy at punk rock concerts is like nothing else I've ever seen - its so awesome to get out there in the mosh pit when youre really feeling a song. Much better in comparison to seeing someone like Britney at a concert. Yeah her music sells, but to me she's got no talent. She doesn't write her own music, she doesn't play an instrument, she's got no message. All she is (and many other pop music groups) is just a face being carried by producers and catchy phrases like "oops I did it again". I'm not into that kind of stuff. I admire a group that can write their own music, play their own instruments, put on a great show, and send an awe inspiring message - all without aid of big producers. That in my opinion is what music is really about.. not about making money and having the world singing some silly catch phrase.

aileenwuornos
05-03-09, 05:45
X Ray Spex are awesome!
I used to listen a lot of punk rock n roll (including a few local bands. my city's punk music is tolerable, the people in the bands aren't really hahaha)
These days the one that tends to be at the top of my list are UK Subs, Lower Class Brats or the Addicts.

spikejones
06-03-09, 00:06
Punk is sooooo not dead.
http://www.punksnotdeadthemovie.com/trailer/flash.html

Joely-Moley
06-03-09, 00:19
Punk will never die!

Being cliché’ time it’s my life, and I it will never die.;)

spikejones
06-03-09, 17:15
ahhh... here's a photobucket link to a song from Bad Religion, entitled "Don't Sell me Short." I had to upload it to PB because apparently WMG is claiming copyright to the song (even though there is already a live concert video of them doing the song, which was recorded from MTV and put up) :confused: whacko screwtube. I present for your enjoyment:

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/th_dontsellmeshort.jpg (http://s383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/?action=view&current=dontsellmeshort.flv)

Angel666
08-03-09, 00:23
So many great punk bands. :D The Ramones, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, The Patti Smith Group, Elvis Costello's first album is considered punk by many, ( I would peg it as more alternative rock but I love him anyway :D), The Sex Pistol's aren't my favorite punk band but they did have some great songs. The Clash of course. That goes without saying. I remember everyone used to call me and my friends weirdos because we had torn up jeans and watched Rock N Roll Highschool like everyday. lol Green Day and Blink 182 will never die. :)

spikejones
08-03-09, 02:20
:vlol: at Blink 182 :vlol: meh.. whatever floats your boat I guess. Not one of my top fav's.

Here's some Bouncing Souls to feast your ears on:

True Believers

QP2cOXCTroA

Bongo Fury
08-03-09, 04:32
bit of shame on my part for not mentioning the Plasmatics, they were one of my favorite bands and I still love them. Back in the day I also had some serious hots for Wendy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_0r9OysZts

Angel666
08-03-09, 05:17
:vlol: at Blink 182 :vlol: meh.. whatever floats your boat I guess. Not one of my top fav's.

Thats cool, in the vein of 90's punk/alternative their one of my favorite groups but I would agree with anyone who said they don't stand up to the punk of the 70's and even 80's. I've never heard of the Plasmatics or the Bouncing souls. I'll definately check them out.

spikejones
08-03-09, 05:26
Bouncing souls have been around for about 20 years or more, and do their stuff sans producers. :tmb:

they have a myspace (as does Bad Religion) so that fans can talk to them and share videos and such. http://www.myspace.com/bouncingsouls

violentblossom
08-03-09, 05:30
ya know, i've never understood punk.

God Bless you crazy kids for getting it, though. :P

any of you read Hairstyles of the Damned?

Angel666
08-03-09, 05:41

Haha, I don't really know why I like punk so much. :) Maybe I'm just an angry person lol.

spikejones
08-03-09, 07:00

nope... is it punk related in any way?

as for my views on punk and why I like it so much... its about living life another way - not conforming to irrational social standards - its about sociopolitical statements - its about life, love, and the pursuit of happiness

sure its not dance material or what not, but music doesn't have to be about booty shakin, waltzing, or air humping. there's many different types of punk from the totally ****ed off hard core thrash music - to the more happy sounding music from bands like The Bouncing Souls. Listen to the lyrics from "True Believers" that I posted earlier. For me... punk is motivational, energetic, get up and go music.

The Bouncing Souls - True Believers

I've met some people along the way,
Some of them split some of them stay,
Some of them walk some walk on by,
I've got a few friends I'll love till I die
From all of these people I try to learn,
Some of them shine some of them burn,
Some of them rise some of them fall,
For good or bad I've known them all

We live our life in our own way,
Never really listened to what they say,
The kind of faith that doesn't fade away
We are the true believers

Well you can fight or you can run,
Hide under a rock till the war is won,
Play it safe and don't make a sound,
But not us we won't back down
True believers all the way,
You and I...

We live our life in our own way,
Never really listened to what they say,
The kind of faith that doesn't fade away
True believers
Rancid remaking NoFx's "brews"
Z68gArbch8s

The original Corazon de Oro by Rancid ;)
KdQf7270-yE

touchthesky
19-03-09, 16:44
Been listening to a lot of Stiff Little Fingers lately..Used to love them. Seen them like 4 or 5 times...:o

We are headed off to see The Buzzcocks in August..at Wizard festival..Woo hoo...

Ever fallen in love with someoneee?

Joely-Moley
19-03-09, 17:23

Well, for me personally Punk is a way of life. It is so much more than a genre of music for me. It helped shaped me into who I am and the way I life my life.

I got into it when I was about 13, and it has got me though some really hard times in my life, being able to relate to the lyrics and the people who seemed to think like me. Then at punk rock shows it would be the only time in my life where I felt this sense of belonging. Even is it for only for a few hours, it just felt even just for one night, you were in a safe place surrounded with people like you, people who think like you and even look like you. Theres no judgement or anything. I don't know it's hard to explain.

Lara's Nemesis
20-03-09, 23:10
Cool a punk rock thread . :D

Some of the bands I like.

Ramones, 999, The Buzzcocks, Iggy and the Stooges, New York Dolls, X-Ray Spex, The Sex Pistols, Richard Hell, The Adverts, Bad Religion, D.O.A., The Dead Boys.

The Dead Boys - Sonic Reducer, live at the legendary CBGB's, New York.

pmVCdPe2_Ao

violentblossom
20-03-09, 23:19
nope... is it punk related in any way?

yeah, it is. that's basically all its about. XD

Encore
21-03-09, 00:31
RU9rRcC0zjI

DTH forever <3

irjudd
21-03-09, 00:39
I do go through punk phases, and when I do it's relatively gentle, ranging from The Offspring in their glory days, to Greenday in their best years.

But I always find myself coming back to darker, angrier metal.

Lara's Nemesis
21-03-09, 01:04
I do go through punk phases, and when I do it's relatively gentle, ranging from The Offspring in their glory days, to Greenday in their best years.

But I always find myself coming back to darker, angrier metal.

A lot of so called punk these days is pretty tame. A lot of it looks like boy bands with guitars to me. :mad:

I've only got one Die Toten Hosen album. It's the one where they cover a lot of old punk. It was has one of my heroes, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls, Heartbreakers) last ever recording on it. The song is "Born To Lose"

Anyway, here is a great live performance from a real punk band.

Ramones - I Believe in Miracles (live)

XKkiLEb9Hms

touchthesky
02-04-09, 15:31
I've never listened to The Adicts before, so thought I'd give them a go.

I'm not SURE if I like them yet, but this is the only song I've listened to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X48mCtneD4
if anyone has any better reccomendations I'm open!

peeves
02-04-09, 15:51
I've been listening to Green Day.
American Idiot, Boulevard of broken dreams, holiday, wake me up when september ends, and jesus of suburbia.

spikejones
12-04-09, 05:39
A lot of so called punk these days is pretty tame. A lot of it looks like boy bands with guitars to me. :mad:

I've only got one Die Toten Hosen album. It's the one where they cover a lot of old punk. It was has one of my heroes, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls, Heartbreakers) last ever recording on it. The song is "Born To Lose"

Anyway, here is a great live performance from a real punk band.

Ramones - I Believe in Miracles (live)

zomg.. the thread must have gotten some comments then got buried, because I never saw these latest posts till I just wen searching. anyhow, as relates to your post Lara's Nemesis, what are some bands that you call "boy bands with guitars"? Albeit there are some that I would call that, but there are others out there that I wouldn't consider calling as such.

anyhow... here's a great one from 88 fingers louie:
3kqyeIyV934

ska time:
hUOdyMn4p4Q

My dog Max
18-04-09, 23:11
I am so sorry if this was an old thread,so sorry for bumping an old thread...
I had to,cause I dont even want to think that punk is dead....Cause it is not,it is sleeping...

So,I listen to: GBH,D.O.A,Stiff Little Fingers,Ramones,Plasmatics,Paraf(an old croatian band),Termiti(same as Paraf),The Exploited,Plasmatics,Anti-Nowhere League...

Please people,make this thread alive.Cause Punk's not dead!!!!!!!:D

Joely-Moley
18-04-09, 23:12
Yay another punk fan. There seems to be so few on us on here.

Punk wont die in my opinion, it amuses me when people say that.

My dog Max
18-04-09, 23:14
Yay another punk fan. There seems to be so few on us on here.

Punk wont die in my opinion, it amuses me when people say that.

I hope it wont...There was a time while they called Avril punk...I was like....WTF?!?!?!

Lara's Nemesis
18-04-09, 23:25
I had to,cause I dont even want to think that punk is dead....Cause it is not,it is sleeping...

So,I listen to: GBH,D.O.A,Stiff Little Fingers,Ramones,Plasmatics,Paraf(an old croatian band),Termiti(same as Paraf),The Exploited,Plasmatics,Anti-Nowhere League...

I was listening to 13 Flavours of Doom by DOA last night. Great album.

Encore
18-04-09, 23:29
I hope it wont...There was a time while they called Avril punk...I was like....WTF?!?!?!

That's painful :( But personally I don't even think SHE considers herself punk. She said she doesn't know who the Sex Pistols are.

My dog Max
18-04-09, 23:34
That's painful :( But personally I don't even think SHE considers herself punk. She said she doesn't know who the Sex Pistols are.

:yik: She doesnt know!?!?!?!?!OMG...I mean,she is in the Music industry...she should know who were one of the first punk bands...

Romantics Inc.
19-04-09, 01:43
Okay... I am a rokker. Like, I can not stand todays pop music, its so agrivating :hea: My favorite bands are Modest Mouse | Bring Me The Horizon | MGMT | Muse | Avenged Sevenfold | Sex Pistols | Vampire Weekend | Crystal Castles | Rancid | Senses Fail | Coheed and Cambria | Plain White T's | Killswitch Engage (Um idk if most of these are PUNK but whateves! GO SEX PISTOLS! :D)

I could go on for hours at a time naming off bands rofl!

spikejones
19-04-09, 05:47

you, my friend, are kool :tmb:
worry not that you are necroposting, because as you said - punk is not dead.
hence.. this thread may go underground from time to time, but it will surface again for a while to make its presence known to the masses that it is still alive and kicking.
Okay... I am a rokker. Like, I can not stand todays pop music, its so agrivating :hea: My favorite bands are Modest Mouse | Bring Me The Horizon | MGMT | Muse | Avenged Sevenfold | Sex Pistols | Vampire Weekend | Crystal Castles | Rancid | Senses Fail | Coheed and Cambria | Plain White T's | Killswitch Engage (Um idk if most of these are PUNK but whateves! GO SEX PISTOLS! :D)

I could go on for hours at a time naming off bands rofl!

the pistols and Rancid are some great bands, some of the others I have not heard of. Plain White T's, Modest Mouse - I dunno if these can be classed as punk. perhaps alternative. I've heard of Avenged Sevenfold, and no doubt have i heard their stuff before, but nothing pops into mind.

Paddy
19-04-09, 07:48
Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys and other music about anarchy rock :D

touchthesky
19-04-09, 09:43
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/FuneralPyre84/inkedmag.gif

:mis::mis::mis:

Nannonxyay
19-04-09, 10:29
Brody is hot. :cln:

You guys ever heard of Morningwood? I guess they could be considered punk. And Mindless Self Indulgence, but they're more electro metal rock whatever. :p

spikejones
21-06-09, 06:36
I was listening to my pandora station the other night while playing my game - I was on the "marilyn manson" station (I know not punk rock) but anyhow - a song or two from Mindless Self Indulgence came on and I was like "WTF is this CRAP?!?!" Seriously... it blew out the anus big time.

Paddy
21-06-09, 06:50
Sex Pistols for the win.
They are a true Punk Rock band

TRULuverzz
21-06-09, 10:18
does this include Paramore. well if so here you go:

URuSgiSs1X0
TQnwQ6JtySc

Paramore FTW.

ROCK ON! :tmb:

Dina_Croft
21-06-09, 12:22
Some of my favourite bands are:
X46abt8OO8c
daP2xf5uMlY
VEGYgcRFKmc
And of course...(MY LOVES)
PIvwGLeso80
:jmp::jmp:

My dog Max
21-06-09, 12:25
does this include Paramore. well if so here you go:

Paramore FTW.

ROCK ON! :tmb:

Paramore is NOT punk.It is a mixture of rock and pop.NOT punk.The same thing as Avril Lavigne...I hate when they do that :(

@Dina Croft: Same as teh above,the bands you listed are NOT Punk.

If you 2 want to hear REAL punk,listen to Sex Pistols,GBH,D.O.A and stuff like that.

Mona Sax
21-06-09, 13:04
I listen to tons of punk bands, most of them already listed here, others not. I guess what attracts me most to the genre is the DIY attitude and the pure energy.

cGt3GlVg4js

_n8TuSVmOrw

YrFsLVF7KMQ

-NUqAWLGWTA

Joely-Moley
21-06-09, 13:12
OMG^ someone else on here likes Anti-flag! :yik:
They are one of my favourite bands!

Mona Sax
21-06-09, 13:20
Just been to one of their shows, and will again this fall. Awesome, just awesome. Their new record's pretty good, too. Personal favorites are Die for the Government and The Terror State.

Joely-Moley
21-06-09, 13:31
Just been to one of their shows, and will again this fall. Awesome, just awesome. Their new record's pretty good, too. Personal favorites are Die for the Government and The Terror State.

Yeah, they are amazing. They are really nice guys too, (well...except for Justin:pi:) was at one of their after party's recently. Yeah, I was really love their new record is.
I loved the last 2 on RCA as well, i think because I loved the recordings of the albums. I study recording so I used their last albums as kind of inspiration. :p

Mona Sax
21-06-09, 13:33
I've only met Pat Thetic so far (cool guy, very laid-back!). What's wrong with Justin?

Joely-Moley
21-06-09, 13:36
I've only met Pat Thetic so far (cool guy, very relaxed!). What's wrong with Justin?

Yeah, him and #2 are great. Partied with them all night.

Well, let's just say he was really drunk at the after party, my girlfriend who is also a huge fan went to see if he was ok, and he tried to stick his tongue down her throat..in front of me.
I get that he was really drunk, but still..Justin of all people.

Mona Sax
21-06-09, 13:38
I get your point. :tmb:

Dina_Croft
21-06-09, 14:19
@Dina Croft: Same as teh above,the bands you listed are NOT Punk.
If you 2 want to hear REAL punk,listen to Sex Pistols,GBH,D.O.A and stuff like that.

Look at the thread tittle...AND OTHER such music!

Nannonxyay
21-06-09, 16:06
Look at the thread tittle...AND OTHER such music!

Exactly.

30 Seconds To Mars can be considered punk rock and other such. Their music style isn't exactly pop rock, is it?

BlackRainbow
21-06-09, 16:10
I like Sum41 very much. :D

Dina_Croft
21-06-09, 16:20
Exactly.

30 Seconds To Mars can be considered punk rock and other such. Their music style isn't exactly pop rock, is it?

If 30 Seconds To Mars are pop rock then I'm wonderwoman!Jonas Brother are pop rock...30STM are emo,alternative rock...:D

BlackRainbow
21-06-09, 16:23
^ Hm... I wouldn't call it "emo". That musicstyle involves a lot more screaming. Oh well, let's not rant about this.

spikejones
22-06-09, 04:53
Anti Flag is cool I like them - have one of their albums in storage (with the tracks on my phone ;) )

other such music... sure I guess you could twist that to mean whatever you want. lets see here:

However antithetical it may be to create a thread that conforms to a standard of the forums, in order to discuss a genre that prides itself upon non-conformity... I figured it would be a nice breath of fresh air to create a thread where us punk rockers, goths, emos, ska(ists:confused), and other non-mainstream/non-popular music listeners could come together and discuss some of our favorite groups and songs. Perhaps be able to spread around the word of any good underground bands we know. Links to videos are more than welcome of course!!

I dunno enough about paramore or 30 seconds to mars in order to say if they are mainstream / pop or not. I know I like one of the paramore songs that is on Rock Band 2.

Emo is a highly misunderstood genre it appears. Many people seem to think emo is one or more of the following:
A) screaming (this could be any group at certain times in their career. just look at slipknot)
B) about cutting yourself (come on already... I'm tired of this mislabel)
C)I'm sure there are others.

What emo is is emotional music. Sure there are different sub genres like "emo screamo" and "emocore" but they aren't defined by the two above. Here's a good example of an emo band that doesn't fall into either category:

ktcuy4vGqn0

NwW0q65VIas

Dina_Croft
22-06-09, 10:04
^ Hm... I wouldn't call it "emo". That musicstyle involves a lot more screaming.

Acording to wikipedia 30 Seconds To Mars are:
Emo
Hard rock
Post-grunge
Post-hardcore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_Seconds_to_Mars

Anyway whatever they are I love them so...And I don't know but jared's scream is more...soft(?)than others...:D..