PDA

View Full Version : Questionnaire/Discussion: Meeting New People, Online and Offline

Punaxe
02-03-09, 00:04
I am in need of some input regarding a project of mine. There is some data I specifically need which I'll put in the form of a questionnaire, but the topic itself, I think, is also suitable for general discussion.

Questionnaire
My project specifically concerns meeting new people for a possible relationship, i.e. for dating.

Please be as elaborate as you are willing to be. If you think the answers would be too personal to give in public, of course you can send me a PM as well. All data will be made anonymous before use.

1. What is your gender?
2. What is your age?
3. What do you look for in a partner?
- What would s/he necessarily have/be?
- What would you prefer?
- What would you not want?
4. Do you have any experience in meeting or trying to meet new people in real life, like in a club, at work or elsewhere?
5. Please describe what to you is positive about meeting new people in real life. What is fun about it, what do you like, why do you like it, etc.?
6. Please describe what to you is negative about meeting new people in real life.
7. Do you have any experience in meeting or trying to meet new people online, like on a social network, using a dating site, or through chat? (Meeting people in real life that you have initially met online does not count - this question is about online contact only.)
8. Please describe what to you is positive about meeting new people online. What is fun about it, what do you like, why do you like it, etc.?
9. Please describe what to you is negative about meeting new people online.
10. If there was a way (e.g. a product or service) that combined the positive aspects of both, what would you think it would look like? What would you want it to be, what should it do and how would it be used?
11. The final and last (and possibly the most fun) question I cannot show in public. I would like to hear your feedback on a solution I have thought of for question 10. Please send me a PM (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=18084) and I'll send you the idea.

General discussion and context
Certain studies, most famously the 'Internet Paradox' study [1], relate Internet usage to declines in (family) communication, declines in size of one’s social circle (both local and distant), increases in loneliness and even increases in depression. Particularly the relation to loneliness has been confirmed by numerous other studies [2,3], some of which also show a relation between Internet use and a lack of emotional intelligence [4,5]. One study even makes clear that this can result in physical ailments [3].
Others claim however that the Internet has positive social effects, for example allowing to more easily meet new people and expand one's social circle [6,7].

What do you think? Is the Internet and the constant 'virtualization' of our (social) lives feeding escapism and hurting our social/emotional skills, or is it a great extension to/replacement of these skills?

[1] Kraut, R., Patterson M., Lundmark V., Kiesler S., Mukopadhyay T. and Scherlis W., Internet Paradox: A Social Technology That Reduces Social Involvement and Psychological Well-Being?. American Psychologist 9 (1998), 1017-1031.
[2] Engelberg, E. and Sj÷berg, L., Internet Use, Social Skills, and Adjustment. CyberPsychology & Behavior 1 (2004), 41-47.
[3] Sigman, A., Well connected? The biological implications of ‘social networking’. Biologist 1 (2009), 14-20.
[4] Locke, J. L., The de-voicing of society: why we don’t talk to each other anymore. Simon & Schuster, New York, 1998.
[5] Moody, E. J., Internet Use and Its Relationship to Loneliness. CyberPsychology & Behavior 3 (2001), 393-401.
[6] Katz, K.E., Rice, R.E. and Aspden, P., The Internet, 1995-2000: Access, Civic Involvement, and Social Interaction. American Behavioral Scientist 3 (2001), 405-419.
[7] Shaw, L. H., Gant, L. M., In Defense of the Internet: The Relationship between Internet Communication and Depression, Loneliness, Self-Esteem, and Perceived Social Support. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 2 (2002), 157-171.

spikejones
02-03-09, 00:39
1. What is your gender?
2. What is your age?
- What would you prefer?
4. Do you have any experience in meeting or trying to meet new people in real life, like in a club, at work or elsewhere?
5. Please describe what to you is positive about meeting new people in real life.
6. Please describe what to you is negative about meeting new people in real life.
7. Do you have any experience in meeting or trying to meet new people online, like on a social network, using a dating site, or through chat?
8. Please describe what to you is positive about meeting new people online.
9. Please describe what to you is positive about meeting new people online.
10. If there was a way (e.g. a product or service) to combine the positive aspects of both, what would you think it would look like? What would you want it to be, what should it do and how would it be used?
11. The final and last (and possibly the most fun) question I cannot show in public. I would like to hear your feedback on a solution I have thought of for question 10. Please send me a PM (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=18084) and I'll send you the idea.

1. Dangler
2. 4 and 20 years
3. intelligence, good looks, sense of humor
-female
-beside number 3 ;)
-neurotic, whiny, naggy
4. my previous attempts have all failed
5. makes life a little more interesting
6. i dunno - they may end up being one of those people that fall into the category I do not want.
7. sure, I've meet a person or two on TRF. But I don't use those dating websites.
8. same as in "real life"
9. i assume you meant to put negative here - same as in "real life"
10. isn't that what these so called dating web sites are for? Not to offend anyone that has used them, but it I am of the opinion that people who use that are just either looking for sex - or are plain desperate. And one can only assume that there is something incredibly wrong with a desperate person - and will inevitably fall into the category of my dislikes. And I'm not the type to just go on a romp around the neighborhood either - so that is out of the question. Another thing that turns me off from those sites is the fact that you will invariably get spammed to death by some creepy ass people - and the site itself for that matter.
11. sure... send me a PM why not.

digitizedboy
02-03-09, 01:06
1. Male
2. 29
3. Someone who has a great smile, and someone to just be there for me.. and vice-versa.
- Intelligence!
- It doesn't matter to me, I'm not a teenager anymore, I hear these questions so often, and it seems young people just go for looks.
- Someone who is hooked on drugs.. I couldn't go through that crap again. I mean I'm not a heroine addict myself, but for a while, I did see a girl (who I liked) DESTROY herself! :( and the guy she was actually going out with just shrug his shoulders.. *******!! She was niave, and he was this hot head. And I couldn't do a thing to stop it! :( I'll never forgive myself for that.
4. I didn't really like nightclubs.. it wasn't such a great place to meet people. I'd rather meet people the traditional way.. sigh. How can you meet someone in loud music? It's impossible surely?
5. OH positive about meeting new people? hmm, to see a smile, to have a great conversation...
6. Being shy, not being able to talk or have a conversation I guess.
7. I've met girls online yeah, but I think gee.. that's too personal. I do like one girl however. :( She just doesn't feel the same way about me.
8. I've only ever met someone "once" online. It wasn't a great occasion, but it wasn't bad either. Let's just say we won't meet again.
9. Negative about meeting someone? hmmm, nothign really, why should we be ashamed of meeting someone, it's only going to happen once right?
10. hmm don't understand the question to be honest? Dating agency? I don't know.. I'd never use it though.. couldn't care less.
11. I'd say please explain question 10 more please for my tiny little mind.

all done.

Punaxe
02-03-09, 01:16
^ What I meant was, for example, I find it much easier to talk to people online (positive about meeting online), but in real life I would always get a much more complete picture of a person (positive about meeting in real life).
Could I think of a way where it would be as easy for me to start talking to someone as it is online, while also being able to get the complete picture of this person like I would when we'd meet face-to-face? What and how would that way be?

Nefertiti_89
02-03-09, 01:27
I am in need of some input regarding a project of mine. There is some data I specifically need which I'll put in the form of a questionnaire, but the topic itself, I think, is also suitable for general discussion.

Questionnaire
My project specifically concerns meeting new people for a possible relationship, i.e. for dating.

Please be as elaborate as you are willing to be. If you think the answers would be too personal to give in public, of course you can send me a PM as well. All data will be made anonymous before use.

1. What is your gender?
2. What is your age?
- What would you prefer?
5. Please describe what to you is positive about meeting new people in real life. What is fun about it, what do you like, why do you like it, etc.?
7. Do you have any experience in meeting or trying to meet new people online, like on a social network, using a dating site, or through chat?
8. Please describe what to you is positive about meeting new people online. What is fun about it, what do you like, why do you like it, etc.?
10. If there was a way (e.g. a product or service) to combine the positive aspects of both, what would you think it would look like? What would you want it to be, what should it do and how would it be used?
11. The final and last (and possibly the most fun) question I cannot show in public. I would like to hear your feedback on a solution I have thought of for question 10. Please

1. Female
2. 19
3. Sense of humour, good moral compass, intelligent
- Male lol
- Good looking
- Possessive, controlling, disrespectful, selfish
4. Yes in the pub but it was not a good move, not at work though one should never mix business with pleasure
5. Well I guess its positive in that you would actually physically meet them, if it was at a bar or something perhaps see their fun side. It could make a cute story to tell people like something you see in the movies or something lame like that :p
6. If its in the pub, and theres booze around you might meet someone you think is nice but really theyre not and it goes very wrong.
7. No not really.
8. Well...you get to meet people from different cultures I suppose, which then gives you a lot more to talk about than if you just met some bloke at starbucks from the same place and background as you, and you actually get to know someone properly because you actually talk because its all you really can do.
9. Well it could sound a bit sad when you tell people (well most Aussies think its sad anyway). But I guess if they do live far away it might seem a bit useless because its not so easy to just say lets meet for coffee or something because the logistics of it would not be so simple or seem even impossible, which makes it seem like youre wasting your time because its probably never going to happen
10. I dont like the idea of a dating website really, like its basically just like a big singles night only a bit more dangerous because it seems to me like its easier to get ****ed over. I dont think you necessarily can combine the two, theyre two completely different situations...the only thing thats really come close is habbo which is just overrun with teenagers. I think its much better for people to meet online because they were bought together by a common interest and then it just kind of happened, rather than going onto some website full of god knows what kind of crazy, nympho, gold digger people, looking for someone. Sometimes the best way to find someone is to stop looking and to let them come to you by whatever means.

digitizedboy
02-03-09, 01:28
^ What I meant was, for example, I find it much easier to talk to people online (positive about meeting online), but in real life I would always get a much more complete picture of a person (positive about meeting in real life).
Could I think of a way where it would be as easy for me to start talking to someone as it is online, while also being able to get the complete picture of this person like I would when we'd meet face-to-face? What and how would that way be?

I know what you mean, and I'm so stupid.. I'm drunk actually, but forgive me please. I know what you mean, I'd say the easiest way to meet someone is the traditional way, but that depends on what kind of person you are, or the friends you have. It is hard though. And online friendships never really work in my opinion. They do work for some people, but it just seems so tacky it's unbelievable.. so yeah, the best method of meeting someone is naturally. :|

]{eith
02-03-09, 01:38
1. Male
2. 17
- Human
- Good sense of humour/ good nature
- Someone who is controlling
4. Pubs and night-clubs have never worked out. Through friends can also be dodgy. Chance encounters have yielded the best results.
5. You can learn alot about someone very quickly.
6. You can learn too much about someone very quickly.
7. I've never dated someone over online...though I am huge flirt.
8. You can meet alot of people and you can get a different insight into their personality than you would in person.
9. Long-distance relationships are painfully difficult.
10. As I said before, chance encounters (online or offline) tend to more effective than looking for someone.
11. Feel free to send me a message.

LaraCroftRox
02-03-09, 11:57
1. What is your gender?
2. What is your age?
- What would you prefer?
7. Do you have any experience in meeting or trying to meet new people online, like on a social network, using a dating site, or through chat? (Meeting people in real life that you have initially met online does not count - this question is about online contact only.)
10. If there was a way (e.g. a product or service) that combined the positive aspects of both, what would you think it would look like? What would you want it to be, what should it do and how would it be used?

1. Female
2. 14
3. Compassionate, Funny, Intelligent, Different, Doesn't try to be like anyone else, weird.
4. Not really.
5. Humans are interesting.
6. I get shy easily and struggle to think of things to say.
7. Yep. 2 of my best friends I only know online.
8. I think it's alot easier to get to know people online. There's less pressure to think of something to say quickly. :p
9. Well the obvious, if someone your talking to isn't who they say they are...
10. You mean like a dating agency? Nah. I'm too young to be using those anyway.
11. *Goes to send PM*