PDA

View Full Version : Teachers

Lara Croft!
02-03-09, 15:30
I'm still in University, studying English literature but this is my second year as a TEFL teacher. (Teaching English as a Foreign Language -to Greek learners) Things have been going great and I really like my job.

Are you perhaps a teacher or want to be one???

This can be a good place to discuss many pedagogical matters and share funny stories...

]{eith
02-03-09, 15:38
For years I wanted to teach either Art, History, Art History, English or Geography because I have such a passion for all of them.

Unfortunately, I can't say I have the same passion for students.

IceColdLaraCroft
02-03-09, 15:44
I teach Asian history at a local uni. It wasn't something that I ever intended to do, but I am happy in my job. I have students that hate me, love me, want me to teach other classes and some that hate being in class. What I really like is seeing the 'lights' go off in their minds or making a connection they hadn't ever thought of before.

I was lecturing about the Mongols in China and during the break a student asked "i wonder if the environment that someone lives in affects their frame of mind." And it was brilliant for me to witness this connection he had made in class.

If I can impact at least one person's life and make them pay attention to an aspect of history/the world they've never been interested in before then that makes me happy.

Do I want to do this for the rest of my life? No. As much of an 'impact' as I'm having I'd much rather be out in the world doing more.

spikejones
02-03-09, 16:07
the saying goes:
"those who can't do... teach" :p

but seriously - I teach a few things here and there to people who are genuinely interested - but I dunno about doing it in a classroom setting.

Lee croft
02-03-09, 16:09
the saying goes:
"those who can't do... teach" :p

but seriously - I teach a few things here and there to people who are genuinely interested - but I dunno about doing it in a classroom setting.

and those that cant teach (normal subjects) teach P.E :D

ramos94
02-03-09, 16:16
i teach soccer

toxicraider
02-03-09, 16:17
I've been 100% put off the whole thing, with experience from the student side. :D

Although I guess teaching at Uni would be ok.

spikejones
02-03-09, 16:47
^:vlol:
One thing that I find I can teach - where some teachers are not able to make things click for some students, is fractions, percents, and decimals. I find that it can become easy to teach when you look at the symbols for division ( the / and ) the percent symbol (%) and the fraction notation 1/2. Everything is all a rotation of some sort or another ;) for looking at percents in decimal form - it makes it easy to understand WHY you move the decimal two places when you look at the following:

per = for each
cent = 100

as well as the decimal places:
.xy

x represents the 10th place
y represents the 100th place

so:
.25 is read as "25 hundredths" or "25 for each one hundred" -> "25 per hundred" -> "25 percent"

so lets look at 25 %

we can look at the / symbol as meaning "per" (as in "km per hour" is represented as "km/h") - the slash symbol is also a division symbol which reads as "divided by".

so now we have 25 / 100 (still reads as 25 "per" "cent" ;) )
now we have a division problem - or is it a fraction? - its both actually

lets rotate that to the right to represent the change from / to :
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/olddivisionsymbol.jpg

now it looks more like a fraction than a division problem doesn't it? and teachers teach you to "divide the top by the bottom to convert it to decimal"

Now lets move on to yet another rotation to the right:
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/longdivision.jpg

Its now a long division problem and doesn't look like a fraction anymore, but this is the method of "converting fractions to decimals". Lots of people get scared by fractions and percents for some reason... Its just a division problem.

has anyone else ever made the connection between the dots on the classic division symbol - and the circles on the percent symbol as being the same thing? The line simply means "divide".

TRfan23
02-03-09, 16:53
^ I'm crap at %'s :(

I love multiplication, adding, subtracting, division and powers of.

I don't want a job in teaching, but I'd love to teach people my own knowledge of things I enjoy ;) I can't stand children! Meaning the ones who act all retarded, yet call other children who sit quietly and don't do a bad thing are called retards by them... - That's why I never want to teach.

LaraCroftRox
02-03-09, 17:09
^^ Way too ruin a nice thread with maths :vlol:

Anyhoo, like toxicraider I've been put off it by my school :vlol:

rowanlim
02-03-09, 17:16
I teach music, I'm quite amazed because I thought that I was too impatient to be a teacher but I guess when you have good attentive students, you will want to be a better teacher. It's made me a better person, I do it because I truly want to share & give my knowledge & experience to them.

Chocola teapot
02-03-09, 17:16
My sister wanted to be a teacher and was going to do training but thought to herself Too Much stress!!!

Punaxe
02-03-09, 17:35
I have only sporadically taught some people Java programming, but I do (did) quite like it. I don't think many of my pupils liked me though, and I blame my Montessori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_method) background for this - I give them hardly anything, and let them deduce as much as possible from what little information I give them. I make them figure most of it out by themselves, for example by means of asking the same question in different ways et cetera.
I find it works a lot better than just telling them how to do things, even though it can be very frustrating for them. If I wasn't so good at keeping my temper, I probably couldn't teach this method either. :p

Quasimodo
02-03-09, 17:37
I'm planning on becoming a high school English teacher. Without telling people this, I've heard people say I sound like a teacher after I've given a presentation. That's heartening :)

spikejones
02-03-09, 18:20
I make them figure most of it out by themselves, for example by means of asking the same question in different ways et cetera.
I find it works a lot better than just telling them how to do things, even though it can be very frustrating for them.
some things are best taught that way - or rather it is a good way to see who can actually grasp the concept. When we were being "taught" web programming and javascript from a book - the teacher never said a thing unless a question was asked. Those who were afraid to ask questions because they didn't understand the book - inevitably failed. On the other hand... I ended up taking a cursory glance at the script they provided for creating a day counter (how many days from today until X date) and I blew it up to a monster that counted even down to the second. meanwhile the guy beside me can't even write the same code as laid out in the book.

Punaxe
02-03-09, 18:24
Indeed, it also forces involvement of the students (at least if they want to get anywhere).
At my faculty the programming class just gave us the code and told us what numbers to change and stuff, hardly explained any underlying concept... That clearly didn't work. It put about 95% of all students off programming for the rest of their study :p

TRfan23
02-03-09, 18:29
some things are best taught that way - or rather it is a good way to see who can actually grasp the concept. When we were being "taught" web programming and javascript from a book - the teacher never said a thing unless a question was asked. Those who were afraid to ask questions because they didn't understand the book - inevitably failed. On the other hand... I ended up taking a cursory glance at the script they provided for creating a day counter (how many days from today until X date) and I blew it up to a monster that counted even down to the second. meanwhile the guy beside me can't even write the same code as laid out in the book.

Thank God I'm not as afraid as I used to be!

So they do this, make us figure out ourselves. I've been trying to figure out how to make my own dll's in VB for like 5-6 months! Books and manuals have never helped :(

Punaxe
02-03-09, 18:32
Well, if you're not getting there by yourself and they're not helping... That's not right either. :/

CerebralAssassin
02-03-09, 18:34
yeah...I'm not really fond of those "weeding out" methods....most of profs from uni were intentionally assholes so that more students would drop their class and they'd have less grading to do.:rolleyes:

spikejones
02-03-09, 18:47
Thank God I'm not as afraid as I used to be!

So they do this, make us figure out ourselves. I've been trying to figure out how to make my own dll's in VB for like 5-6 months! Books and manuals have never helped :(
do you have any other experience in programming?
it helps to start with the basics sometimes - then work up to more advanced stuff. take HTML for example - it is quite simply the easiest language to learn. If you can grasp that - try batch files and/or java-script. If you can understand those, move on to Basic/Visual Basic. You'll learn a bit from each language that you can relate to the next in order to make things simpler for the learning of more advanced/powerful languages.

jackles
02-03-09, 18:47
I'm a teaching assistant and I teach literacy and used to do mostly supporting the 'characters' at work with catch-up programmes, Now I am ICT support so do the ICT lessons. Last year I worked with a statemented child all year. That was entertaining....I ended up planning and taking numeracy for a group of special needs kids. Not what I was being paid for.

I keep getting asked to do my GTP, which is sort of inhouse teacher training, but the amount of out of hours work puts me off. My school apparently do a lot more than others.

Ada the Mental
02-03-09, 18:58
I'm also in English Studies at University but I sometimes think it was a bad decision. Because, although I love English and find most of the classes very interesting, I have no interest whatsoever in teaching, nor do I have what it takes for it.
I don't have the necessary patience, I get easily annoyed when I try to explain things to someone and they just don't get it and I'm very awkward and uncomfortable around children.
So I fear that if I end up teaching English I'll get stuck in a job I hate and suck at.

Lara Croft!
02-03-09, 19:08
Just because you study English it doesn't necessarily mean you'll end up as a teacher. You can give private lessons (the money is better than in teaching centers and you don't have to worry about your head getting driven on the wall from all the noise is a classroom) and in the meantime search for a job that satisfies you.

^^ Way too ruin a nice thread with maths :vlol:

:D:D:D:D

ShadyCroft
02-03-09, 19:21
As much as I'd love to be a teacher, seeing as I really like helping people, I think I wouldn't be that good.
Am not really good at explaining things to other people. The things I study I understand myself, but I can't get it through to others. I have bad teaching communication skills lol!

But kudos to those who teach. Its a tiring job.

lararoxs
02-03-09, 19:21
I admire anyone that teaches. Giving others a chance at an education!:tmb:

I haven't really thought of teaching to be honest. I would certainly be something to look into though.:)

Drone
02-03-09, 19:24
I'm still in University, studying English literature but this is my second year as a TEFL teacher. (Teaching English as a Foreign Language -to Greek learners) Things have been going great and I really like my job.

Are you perhaps a teacher or want to be one???

This can be a good place to discuss many pedagogical matters and share funny stories...

Your English is perfect and I wish you good luck :)

I can never be a teacher lol :D Because I'll lose my patience on the first lesson :vlol: I better try something else

ShadyCroft
02-03-09, 19:30
Your English is perfect and I wish you good luck

I think most, if not all, people here are very good, if not great, in English. Asians, Latin Americans, Europeans, Africans and others....

makes me wonder, are you guys an exception or are your countries speak English as well ?

Mum and dad went to Valencia, Spain once and they said they had a hard time cause no one knew English there, but we have a lot of Spanish people here who are very good in English.
They also went to Turkey and had the same problem, but here we also have Turkish people who are very good in English too.
Maybe those are the people who grew up speaking and reading in English whenever possible, like me...
dunno

CerebralAssassin
02-03-09, 19:30
*Imagines Drone throwing stuff at his students :vlol:* sorry...couldn't help myself :o

uhhmm...well yeah,people with short fuses should stay away from teaching IMO.I've been known to break stuff and going crazy at times when things don't go my way lol!!:p

Lara Croft!
02-03-09, 19:33
When it comes to language, no one is perfect. I Keep finding myself making mistakes all the time, but I try to do my best when I teach. It's only my second year, so it's tough. This place is probably one of the best ways I practice English.

It's true that it's a tiring job. Sometimes I get so frustrated from all the noise in the class or seeing that some of the students are ungrateful to your trying to help them.

But when I teach a class e.g a new tense and after a while they learn to use it and you see their faces happy, it's all worth it. Not to mention when I get notes, cards and gifts from my students, saying they love me (as a teacher:p) or some parents tell me of the impact I made on their child. It makes you feel like a better person.

ShadyCroft
02-03-09, 19:57
Not to mention when I get notes, cards and gifts from my students, saying they love me (as a teacher) or some parents tell me of the impact I made on their child. It makes you feel like a better person.

Aww, thats cute ! :hug: and rewarding I assume.

Drone
02-03-09, 20:06
that's true when students appreciate your job it's a good feeling. our uni was crap looked rather like a prison. Can't say who was worse teachers or students. Only 3 or 4 teachers were great (as teachers and as persons). My math. analysis, math. logics, physics and informatics teachers. Even now after 10 years I go there to visist them :) I appreciate their work. They gave a good basement for many things.

Whole my life I was skipping lessons. At school, at uni. I learnt everything I know by myself. At work learning getting bit harder. Engineering ain't too easy and lol pros are too lazy to explain me the details, that's why we always argue lol

Lara Croft!
02-03-09, 20:08
It is indeed. I LMAO when they draw me in their notebooks or on tests I give to them...:D

EmeraldFields
02-03-09, 20:59
Last semester I was a teacher assistant for a Spanish teacher.

I want to major in both Spanish and teaching so I can help teach immigrants English.:)

Ward Dragon
02-03-09, 23:42
I'm currently taking classes to get a degree so I can teach high school math and biology. Assuming I don't mess up the paperwork, I should be student teaching in the Fall. I'm kind of nervous about it :o

Nefertiti_89
02-03-09, 23:47
I coach hockey? I'm teaching 5 year olds the fundamentals so I suppose thats teaching after a fashion!

Lara Croft!
03-03-09, 10:39
I'm currently taking classes to get a degree so I can teach high school math and biology. Assuming I don't mess up the paperwork, I should be student teaching in the Fall. I'm kind of nervous about it :o

Don't be nervous! The first day with each class may be full of anxiety, but I guarantee you that after 10 minutes all will belong to the past!

TRfan23
04-03-09, 16:43
do you have any other experience in programming?
it helps to start with the basics sometimes - then work up to more advanced stuff. take HTML for example - it is quite simply the easiest language to learn. If you can grasp that - try batch files and/or java-script. If you can understand those, move on to Basic/Visual Basic. You'll learn a bit from each language that you can relate to the next in order to make things simpler for the learning of more advanced/powerful languages.

I'm currently using VB, used some C#. VB I'm doing well in, and some of C#, but I'm still at the basics. I have made quite a few .bat files in notepad. Made one to delete the TOMBRAID folder for TR1 before that recent new Vista TR1 installer, like an uninstaller for it. Do you know where I can try out 'Javascript'? Any free programs?

Well, if you're not getting there by yourself and they're not helping... That's not right either. :/

No I'm not on any course, I'm still at school. I'm working independently atm, trying to get help on manuals but it's not so easy. One boy who was like 13 or 14 knew more then me at programming, I was glad wanted him to help me understand certain coding and functions. But no he's a complete loser, he would give me a bunch of coding, I would need, and I would ask what it means and he'd go "Oh it's a secret" :( This was like last June - July. He was like one of those 'I'm better then you' people :(

EDIT:- But I did apply for a course right here (http://kent.futures4me.co.uk/(X(24ee05ac-51bb-40cf-9304-657dd7ce03b1))/CourseDetails.aspx?ID=597cd6f9-9739-4bc1-8ed3-40ecef249b66&Y=5&CP=1&OV=522f3eda-c3b7-4a13-8a49-eb66a2913104) :) At Ashford College :)

jackles
04-03-09, 17:01
A little story from school....

One of the little boys that I teach had a toy dog attached to his belt loop. The day before he had been playing with it and I had told him to leave it on my cupboard. Today he took it off straight away and placed in on top of my paper work. He sat down, then looked up and said "Oh miss, you see my dog, well...I peed on it accidentally earlier. But it is okay now. It has dried off."

oh how glad I am that I didn't do my normal thing of putting my hand out for him to stick it in my hand. (by earlier he meant about 20 mins earlier) :o

Lara Croft!
05-03-09, 11:25
Ewwwww!!!!!:D:D:D:D Little kids are simply from another planet!:D:D:D:D