PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think Lara Croft Is A Virgin?

Tear
04-03-09, 13:08
How do YOU see her?

Perhaps the sexy raider who likes to toy with men, and never has any serious relationships?
Or maybe you see her as the more independent woman who's never had strong enough feelings for anyone?
Maybe even a woman who's been in and out of love, and just isn't recently?

Again, I want to know how you see Lara in this sense?

da tomb raider!
04-03-09, 13:12
Of course not. Winston doesn't just serve tea, you know.

mau3genius
04-03-09, 13:16
I see her as a sexy woman who likes to play around with men because she's too independent to be driven by strong feelings (or simply can't be bothered to be in a relationship)
And, as for the main question. Hell no. She's not a virgin. At least, she doesn't look like one. :p

You just traumatized me for the rest of my life. :eek:

violentblossom
04-03-09, 13:19
no.

she WAS engaged, remember? :jmp: (I don't care what Crystal says, haha.)

she's a lady in my book, though.

IceColdLaraCroft
04-03-09, 13:25
No.

Larson, Alex West, Chance.

I don't see her having those...assets and not using them

patriots88888
04-03-09, 13:29
None of my business!

]{eith
04-03-09, 13:30
Don't forget the deleted scenes from AOD.

Lara: Not alot of passing trade at this hour?
Janice: Not until you showed up...

:mis:

Anyway, to answer the question, no way.

violentblossom
04-03-09, 13:38
{eith;3502019']Don't forget the deleted scenes from AOD.

:vlol: oh yeah!

hahaha! Lara's love does not discriminate. :cln:

Mr.Bouncer
04-03-09, 13:55
well up till now she is a virgin ... but you know I have a huge feeling or maybe it's a wish that this will be the truth in the next installment which is that she was married and had a child n she lost em both so she decided to close her mind, heart n body and never mention anything about this subject to ANYONE ...

Ultimatum
04-03-09, 14:07

OMFGD! :eek:

I don't think she's a virgin, but I don't believe she has relationships. Maybe she had them on the past, but decided to finish with them. There is a comic that has a phrase which mentions Lara having being with a girl (I mean, they made it sound like that) But maybe it just was the Spanish translation...

M.A.
04-03-09, 14:08
She's a playful, coy, virgin in my book.... :p

OMG! Mental images! Get it out! GET IT OUT!

ShadyCroft
04-03-09, 14:08
Well, my answer would include a trip back to the roots of the real Lara.
I think the transition from her royal position to the a girl who threw it all for something she loves, shunned by her family and upper class society made her a loner....

a strong independent woman with an unusual passion for artifacts and archeology and traveling the world and meeting other different people and seeing there's more to life than sitting in a satin dress with high heels on a comfortable leather chair while drinking a glass of champagne in some royal party.

aileenwuornos
04-03-09, 14:10
I really hate this dichotomy between femme fatale/virgin thing in general. To me she is just an awesome, independant woman who does her own thing, chases her own desires and to quote, makes her own luck ;)

rowanlim
04-03-09, 14:10
Nope, she's an independent woman with natural lusts, I'd say she can get any man she wants :p

Mr.Bouncer
04-03-09, 14:11
Well, my answer would include a trip back to the roots of the real Lara.
I think the transition from her royal position to the a girl who threw it all for something she loves, shunned by her family and upper class society made her a loner....

a strong independent woman with an unusual passion for artifacts and archeology and traveling the world and meeting other different people and seeing there's more to life than sitting in a satin dress with high heels on a comfortable leather chair while drinking a glass of champagne in some royal party.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ... n howz my theory above sweeetyy Fido Dido ?!

ShadyCroft
04-03-09, 14:12
I really hate this dichotomy between femme fatale/virgin thing in general. To me she is just an awesome, independant woman who does her own thing, chases her own desires and to quote, makes her own luck

yes!

Nope, she's an independent woman with natural lusts, I'd say she can get any man she wants

Amen, sister ! But she's not interested, no ? :p

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ... n howz my theory above sweeetyy Fido Dido ?!

Your theory is awesome ! :tmb: yeah, they should make a 20 seconds scene in the next game where she gets married, has a kid but loses them both and then she says....Never, never again ! so the case would be sealed for ever :p

sandygrimm
04-03-09, 14:18
No way !

rowanlim
04-03-09, 14:28
Amen, sister ! But she's not interested, no ? :p

She probably thinks of them as interesting diversions. Not to mention the physical side benefits :D

ShadyCroft
04-03-09, 14:32
^^ Oh yeah ! kinda like her adventure snacks. She teases them for a while (for answers) and then BANG!! Hasta never baby!

Mr.Bouncer
04-03-09, 14:33
Your theory is awesome ! :tmb: yeah, they should make a 20 seconds scene in the next game where she gets married, has a kid but loses them both and then she says....Never, never again ! so the case would be sealed for ever :p

well yeah ... but i meant it to be more deep and profound not a funny thing looooooooool ... i guess she'll say : "I'm gonna close it with Plaster :P" n u know what It refers to :P

ShadyCroft
04-03-09, 14:34
^^ maybe they'll add birth control pills to her inventory in the next game..:jmp:

Edit: Wait, scratch that ! CD, I was kidding !

Neteru
04-03-09, 14:38
She's a fictional character. What relevance does the question even have? None as far as I can see.

Shark_Blade
04-03-09, 14:39
CD Lara = yes, she seems like a virgin.
Classic Lara = no way. :p :mis:

Anyway, the point of knowing Lara's virginity is...? It's like asking celebrity's virginity like OMG is Avril Lavigne still a virgin? What about Zac Efron? John Travolta? ..no point really, it doesn't even matter.

Mr.Bouncer
04-03-09, 14:44
She's a fictional character. What relevance does the question even have? None as far as I can see.

Ur ryt sweety ... but u know this fictional group of pixels and colors refers to a real woman (as she looks like)

so just like in movies they give birth to children n get married while the actress never had children nor got married so she's a fictional computer character who acts the role of a real woman that's how I see Lara Croft so I do think she should look older by time and stuff ... :D

TRhalloween
04-03-09, 14:45
She has no genitalia. She's not even a she (Nor is she a he :p)
She doesn't exist. I thought everyone was aware of that.

Changeling
04-03-09, 14:47
I'm not sure... I imagine Crystal's Lara to have been raised as a good little Christian girl or something and was told to never have sex before marriage, but that's just something in my head. :p Not saying it's true, just saying it's something I could imagine.

It doesn't really matter whether she's a virgin or not, true, but it still makes for the exchange of opinions. :p

dizzydoil
04-03-09, 14:47
She has no genitalia. She's not even a she (Nor is she a he :p)
She doesn't exist. I thought everyone was aware of that.

I don't see no relevance for there to be a biography then. Let's play a box in the next game :).

I believe Lara is indeed not a virgin. Ofcourse, this is neither true or false - it's just what I would assume Lara to be. With her age, past lovers etc. Though, she could infact be a virgin :).

trtrailerman
04-03-09, 14:48

if you say that you might as well not wonder about her family, her past, or anything else in her life, the fact that shes fictional doesn't mean people arn't interested in her life

nicola1986
04-03-09, 14:50
Classic Lara definitely not, 'cos she's a saucy minx!:cln: :D

But the CD one...maybe accidently with Larson that time...:cln::cln:

Neteru
04-03-09, 14:50
Post removed. It never takes people long with this topic whenever it rears its ugly head.

Keep inappropriate comments off this thread or it'll go the same place others have, the bin.

if you say that you might as well not wonder about her family, her past, or anything else in her life, the fact that shes fictional doesn't mean people arn't interested in her lifeI don't. I just play the games. Character is irrelevant to that.

irjudd
04-03-09, 14:56
I'm less than interested in her sexual adventures. Since that's not what the game is about.

M.A.
04-03-09, 14:57
Fictional or not, she is a celebrity so the question is auto-asked. :D

Besides the mind do wander.. :p

violentblossom
04-03-09, 14:58
Why the heck are people taking this so seriously? GOD, i hate when people fight in these forums.. if someone has a different opinion then you, then why bother taking it personally? This world would suck if everyone had the same opinions.

How sad and pathetic is it that Neti is having to remove posts?

Lara Croft needs a boyfriend. :-\ I miss Kurtis.

Neteru
04-03-09, 15:00
Nobody is fighting. The removed post was a general inappropriate comment about the subject matter.

ShadyCroft
04-03-09, 15:03
How sad and pathetic is it that Neti is having to remove posts?

[off topic]But don't forget that's GC. Anyone and everyone can see it. What if the removed post really contained inappropriate material ? :o

Well I hope there wont be any fighting here soon...like you, I hate when fights start here on the forum. :)[/off topic]

violentblossom
04-03-09, 15:04
I don't see no relevance for there to be a biography then. Let's play a box in the next game :).

I believe Lara is indeed not a virgin. Ofcourse, this is neither true or false - it's just what I would assume Lara to be. With her age, past lovers etc. Though, she could infact be a virgin :).

if you say that you might as well not wonder about her family, her past, or anything else in her life, the fact that shes fictional doesn't mean people arn't interested in her life

Nobody is fighting. The removed post was a general inappropriate comment about the subject matter.

Ah, i apologize. It seemed that it was bound to happen with the direction some posts were going, and then you removed a post, so i assumed the worst. >.< My mistake.

I'm just tired of the personal forum fights when there are differing opinions expressed.

Back to topic.

KIKO
04-03-09, 15:08
She's just a videogame character :p
But ahh, well I don't think she needs someone to feel complete :ton:

Lara Croft!
04-03-09, 15:24
What kind of question is that? And no, I don't think she is a virgin.

MattTR
04-03-09, 15:26
Lara Croft, a virgo? Oh a Virgin! :D

Well she can get any guy she wants.. I bet her and Zip had their sexual innuendos. :mis: :eek:

Lee croft
04-03-09, 15:26
Lara Croft, a virgo? Oh a Virgin! :D

Well she can get any guy she wants.. I bet her and Zip had their sexual innuendos. :mis: :eek:

when they came home drunk one night .....

MattTR
04-03-09, 15:30
when they came home drunk one night .....

Zip and that headset could call for one amazing night.. :whi:

Alright I'll slow down.. Lara kissed Zip's cheek, that's all. :o

Benguitar
04-03-09, 15:38
Not a virgin but not a whore, she is probably one hard lady to seduce.

Biddy
04-03-09, 15:45
She doesn't strike to me as a virgin, in fact I've never considered her one. One of those mysteries.

robm_2007
04-03-09, 15:50

thats how i think of it.

Ultimatum
04-03-09, 15:51

I agree. I tired to say it, but my English is far to be good

spikejones
04-03-09, 16:05
pixels don't have sex

toxicraider

That sounded as if you were saying that most non-virgin women are whores :confused::p

I doubt she's a virgin though.

Goose
I don't. I just play the games. Character is irrelevant to that.

Of course the characters relevant, without character you have no storyline, you may aswell stick to tetris if you want a puzzle without a story to it. Although there may be a very deep philisophical subject being delt with in tetris, behind the scenes.....who knows:pi:

And for the original question, if you watch the movies, she always seems to have had some romantic entanglement with the leading man, like Gerrard Butler as she implies, then later on they almost get it on.

MattTR
04-03-09, 16:06
pixels don't have sex

You'd be surprised what I saw online before.. :vlol:

Draco
04-03-09, 16:07
Lara strikes me as being a lot like Angelina...and we all know she hasn't been a virgin for a long long loonng time.

spikejones
04-03-09, 16:15
You'd be surprised what I saw online before.. :vlol:
mature theme manga (or other cartoons) is irrelevant to the fact that something which is virtual and fictional can not possibly engage in a physical activity. sure those cartoons depict the act of perversion, but it isn't real. But... I guess those who view these characters as a real person fail to see that. Let me put it this way... lets say that I write an essay that everyone falls in love with - everyone can relate to that - everyone wants to know the background of it. But no one ever thinks "is this essay a virgin?" And why is that? Because it is absurd to think that a paper could have sex. But the thing that gives that paper such a gripping effect and a sense of humanity is that it is a projection of my own humanity. As such - the video game character "Lara Croft" is a projection of a real life person and their own past, desires, etc.. But people fail to draw that parallel. Lara Croft is just like an essay when it all boils down to it.

Neteru
04-03-09, 16:41
Of course the characters relevant, without character you have no storylineI'll take it further then. Storyline is irrelevant.

I realise that there is a storyline and a character dreamt up around which to build a game, but that's not what I'm talking about at all. I couldn't care a jot what the story is, what 'gender' the character is, or even what type of character they represent. I care only for enjoyment of playing the game. Therefor such questions as is so and so a virgin are irrelevant..

touchthesky
04-03-09, 16:42
Of course she isn't....Who'd be that hot and be a virgin? Pfft.

Dark Lugia 2
04-03-09, 16:50
I'd be scared if she wasnt, with a body like that, lol!

Changeling
04-03-09, 16:52
People... why are you taking this so seriously? XD

It seems that every time we have a conversation about whether Lara is or isn't something, or what she means to us, there are always people who say "SHE'S JUST A BUNCH OF PIXELS OMG GET OVER IT!"? Can't you use your imagination and think of it creatively in Lara's universe instead of always going for the scientific answer? :p Video games aren't real, yet we play them. This question is about a video game character, why can't we answer it?

But now back on-topic XD;

Goose
04-03-09, 16:52
I'll take it further then. Storyline is irrelevant.

I realise that there is a storyline and a character dreamt up around which to build a game, but that's not what I'm talking about at all. I couldn't care a jot what the story is, what 'gender' the character is, or even what type of character they represent. I care only for enjoyment of playing the game. Therefor such questions as is so and so a virgin are irrelevant..

Depends how much you enjoy fiction, video games are just interactive movies these days, and in movies its in depth details that give characters more life and make them interesting.

Im guessing you dont like role playing games very much then lol.

Reggie
04-03-09, 16:53
How do YOU see her?
Perhaps the sexy raider who likes to toy with men, and never has any serious relationships?
Or maybe you see her as the more independent woman who's never had strong enough feelings for anyone?
Maybe even a woman who's been in and out of love, and just isn't recently?

If we're talking about the old bio, then its a mixture of all three.
She knows how to use men to her advantage, her cold heartedness allowing to take full advantage of this. This however, is a double edged sword becauseit means she finds it difficult to have strong enough feelings for anyone. She's made attempts at love in the past but its always ended bitterly and after Lara turned away the man her parents tried to encourage her to marry (fearing she would never get round to it otherwise), Lara turned away from it all for the foreseeable future. For now, she's just happy to see the positive side to it but Kurtis may have reminded her that she's still human after all, not head over heels about him, but there is something.

Legend Lara comes across as totally non-sexual and unable to fall in love with anyone, simply because she's dull as dishwater as a character and her obsession over her mum and dad would be enough to put most men off, if they ever got round to trying to get to know her at all. On the surface her looks would enable her to get her own way at least.

Atlantean-Squid
04-03-09, 16:58
Probably not, but the idea of her sleeping with someone like Larson is laughable.

Neteru
It seems that every time we have a conversation about whether Lara is or isn't something, or what she means to us, there are always people who say "SHE'S JUST A BUNCH OF PIXELS OMG GET OVER IT!"? Can't you use your imagination and think of it creatively in Lara's universe instead of always going for the scientific answer? :p Video games aren't real, yet we play them. This question is about a video game character, why can't we answer it?

If people are asked what Lara means to them, they are going to answer. This isn't a 'please answer only in one way' thread.

Depends how much you enjoy fiction, video games are just interactive movies these days, and in movies its in depth details that give characters more life and make them interesting.

Im guessing you dont like role playing games very much then lol.No, I don't think it does depend upon how much you like fiction. It's about what each individual looks for in a game. I love fiction as much as anybody, that doesn't dictate what games I like or whether I think a character or any supposed traits or experience are remotely relevant to it being a good or bad game.

tranniversary119
Obviously not, you can't be that good looking and be a virgin.

spikejones
04-03-09, 17:01
People... why are you taking this so seriously? XD

But now back on-topic XD;
it seems that very few people in here are actually taking it "seriously" as in to get offended by other peoples' posts - as you seem to have. what is wrong with our own personal point of views? ours are no less valid than yours are. Whereas you may be the type to delve within the alternate reality - I am the type to look beyond that. Others only take it at face value - like neteru for example. are we not all allowed to have our own unique points of views on things? as another member pointed out - the world would be a very dull place indeed if we all thought and acted in the same manner. it seems a bit harsh to tell everyone that they must look at it the same way as you do. If you would like to travel down that road - perhaps try to open your mind and view things from another perspective yourself.

Reggie
04-03-09, 17:07
There have been cases where a character has been so awful that I just don't bother playing it because its enough to prevent me seeing past everything else. For some people, the character is very important. Also, because Lara Croft is a pop culture icon as it is, its only natural people will treat her like a celebrity and thus speculate about her life and who she is. As someone who's collaborated in writing TR:Reborn, I've had to consider carefully what Lara's approach to love was and how past experiences affected that. Its really interesting as long as one gets past the point of being cynical about it.

Goose
04-03-09, 17:11
No, I don't think it does depend upon how much you like fiction. It's about what each individual looks for in a game. I love fiction as much as anybody, that doesn't dictate what games I like or whether I think a character or any supposed traits or experience are remotely relevant to it being a good or bad game.

What your saying isnt just about Virginity really.

If you strip solid snake of his back story he's not really a character that would take your interest and lead you to explore the game. How about Cloud Strife, there would be pretty much no point in playing through Final Fantasy games if he had no history.

Larapink
04-03-09, 17:14
I have no idea, I will have to ask her. lol:vlol:

spikejones
04-03-09, 17:19
what about morrowwind? you have no clue of any bit of your character's story - and you can pretty much run through the game without reading any of the dialogs yet still explore everywhere, make whatever decisions YOU want to make, whether they are good or bad ones - kill people, save people, steal things, buy things, sell things, learn, etc.. and still enjoy the game entirely without having a definition of a character.

what about Mario brothers? who knows and who cares where he came from or to where he is going? You can still enjoy jumping on turtles and hitting your head on bricks.

same with sonic the hedgehog, zelda etc...

the story behind the character - and the character itself is not what makes the game great or fun, it is what you get to make that character DO which makes it fun.

Lara croft is fun for me (to an extent) because it has her going to exotic locations and solving puzzles. The prize is of no importance, nor is the past or the cut scenes - it is the mechanism itself which I enjoy.

Neteru
04-03-09, 17:23
What your saying isnt just about Virginity really.

If you strip solid snake of his back story he's not really a character that would take your interest and lead you to explore the game. How about Cloud Strife, there would be pretty much no point in playing through Final Fantasy games if he had no history.Sure it's not just about that. But it's my over all opinion that leads me (or not) to consider such questions are irrelevant.

I can't comment on those games as I've never played them. That is, however, your view. Others may not hold that view. One series of games where the story line does matter to me is the LoK series, but no amount of good storyline supplants good game play for me and with the last game the good story didn't matter a jot to less enjoyable game play.

Drone
04-03-09, 17:25
no, there is Kurtis :wve:

Reggie
04-03-09, 17:28
what about morrowwind? you have no clue of any bit of your character's story - and you can pretty much run through the game without reading any of the dialog's yet still explore everywhere, make whatever decisions YOU want to make, whether they are good or bad ones - kill people, save people, steal things, buy things, sell things, learn, etc.. and still enjoy the game entirely without having a definition of a character.

Sounds very boring to me and that's why I avoid mmorpgs altogether.

what about Mario brothers? who knows and who cares where he came from or to where he is going? You can still enjoy jumping on turtles and hitting your head on bricks.

same with sonic the hedgehog, zelda etc...Mario, Sonic and Zelda were incredibly distinctive characters. They had a certain look, certain skills and a very definite role to play with a very recognisable villain to play them off against (especially in the case of Bowser and Dr Robotnik/Eggman). Also check out this post to see how Sonic's storylines are being grossly underestimated there.

In Sonic Adventure one the story involves Chaos, all of the playable characters paths crossing throughtout their quest to maintain the emeralds from the creature and ofcourse the time traveling back to the ancient Mystic Ruins with Tikal and such...then the penultimate battle after Chaos has decimated Station Sqaure. Chaos is sent back to his peaceful place in the past and all is well aside the now ruined city.

In Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic is framed for a string of robberys and is contained by GUN when it's actually an apparent clone of Sonic committing the offenses. When this turns out to be a prototype for an ultimate lifeform Eggman teams with him as does Rouge in search of any gems she can get her mits on. Sonic is saved from imprisonment and the battle leads all of them aboard the ARK to face their ultimate enemies...then, we discover Prof. Geralds' burning desire for revenge against the murderous GUN and all onboard the ARK must destroy the true prototype of the Ultimate Lifeform via the Chaos Control ability of the emeralds.

In Sonic 360 we deal with the idea of time-space continuam. In the present lives Sonic who is trying to foil yet another evil plot by Eggman by keeping Elise safe. Shadow is under the influence of the evil Mephiles, and enventually rebels against the treturous hedgehog entity. Menawhile in the future Silver is also tricked by the Mephiles into believing Sonic is the Iblis Trigger that has destroyed the world in a pilage of flame and molton rock. He uses Chaos Control to travel back to current day Soleanna to confront Sonic. All in all when everybody learns the truth the battle and you enter the finale of the game Sonic is killed, and Solaris is created by Mephiles and Iblis through the tears of Elise. Everybody must travel through specific chapters of time both present and future to find the emeralds and revive Sonic. After this Sonic, Silver and Shadow enter their respective Super/Hyper forms and destroy Solaris...peace is brought once again.

...but yeah, you're right, these games have no story. http://1.2.3.9/bmi/www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=3500828&postcount=74

the story behind the character - and the character itself is not what makes the game great or fun, it is what you get to make that character DO which makes it fun.

Lara croft is fun for me (to an extent) because it has her going to exotic locations and solving puzzles. The prize is of no importance, nor is the past or the cut scenes - it is the mechanism itself which I enjoy.For you, maybe that's the case but for me it is most certainly a case of a game needing both in certain measure in order for me to pick it up, buy it, enjoy it and love it forever. Yes, it limits the games I like but when the characters and story are good and the gameplay is good then I'm happy. For me, one can't go without the other.

Goose
04-03-09, 17:38
what about morrowwind? you have no clue of any bit of your character's story - and you can pretty much run through the game without reading any of the dialogs yet still explore everywhere, make whatever decisions YOU want to make, whether they are good or bad ones - kill people, save people, steal things, buy things, sell things, learn, etc.. and still enjoy the game entirely without having a definition of a character.

same with sonic the hedgehog, zelda etc...

Lara croft is fun for me (to an extent) because it has her going to exotic locations and solving puzzles. The prize is of no importance, nor is the past or the cut scenes - it is the mechanism itself which I enjoy.

The character has a bigger importance then you seem to realize, there are endless amounts of games that have failed to sell because they didnt get the character or story right, including brainless fighting games that totally ripped off street fighter, with everything it had and more. They just didnt get the character right.

In the past video games couldn't present a great story very well, but now they can, and even mario has evolved to have a massive story and dialogue (N64), a movie, a cartoon, Sonic is just a movie different. People like the character, and are interested in what they do.

In Morrowind, YOU are the character. Same as Fallout 3 and those before it. Theres a difference between you playing the character and making the story, then playing the character through a story, like tomb raider. Simple example would be DOOM and Shadow Warrior, in doom you are the space marine, in shadow warrior you control a ninja guy getting revenge who has his own story and name.

spikejones
04-03-09, 17:41
Mario, Sonic and Zelda were incredibly distinctive characters. They had a certain look, certain skills and a very definite role to play with a very recognisable villain to play them off against (especially in the case of Bowser and Dr Robotnik/Eggman).

that is the story... their role - the conflict/resolution - pitting protagonist against antagonist. This is actually enjoying the story not so much as the character itself. their look and skills are arguably character traits, but that does not define who they are. They aren't very deep characters. if you ask yourself: what defines Lara versus what defines Sonic or Mario, you will undoubtedly get very different results and way more back story defining who Lara is compared to who Sonic or Mario is. That is because they put a lot of effort into modeling Lara into a realistic character with emotions, parents, a history, etc.. all of which get revealed in FMV's and cutscenes - whereas they did not do so with the mario and sonic adventures. Mario and Sonic are very much flat characters themselves without much of a history, but you still enjoy them (I did at least). And being that I did not care to pay attention to the cutscenes in TR, Lara is pretty much still a flat character to me, but I still enjoy the game. Now... if you were to imagine that Robotnik and Bowser were not the arch enemies in those games - they become just another enemy to jump on - and the game is still fun. There is still conflict/resolution. IMO, you don't need to keep putting the same "arch enemy" into the games over and over (Ganon Keeps appearing in Zelda, but if you didn't know that - it would just be yet another temple boss to fight). Point is - you never have to follow the story to finish and enjoy a game. Not for me. For me, it is fun because of those things that I can do within the game. So... it really is irrelevant if Lara is a virgin or not - it doesn't effect how I will complete the game, or my enjoyment of it.

Thorir
04-03-09, 17:41
I don't think any game characters can escape hentai or yaoi pictures... :D

Changeling
04-03-09, 17:49
it seems that very few people in here are actually taking it "seriously" as in to get offended by other peoples' posts - as you seem to have.

I don't recall saying that I was ever offended by other people's posts in this topic, and I'm not.

what is wrong with our own personal point of views? ours are no less valid than yours are.

I didn't say there was anything wong with your personal point of views, and I did not say that yours are less valid than mine.

Whereas you may be the type to delve within the alternate reality - I am the type to look beyond that. Others only take it at face value - like neteru for example. are we not all allowed to have our own unique points of views on things? as another member pointed out - the world would be a very dull place indeed if we all thought and acted in the same manner. it seems a bit harsh to tell everyone that they must look at it the same way as you do.

I did not say once in my post that people's opinions are less valid than mine. I did not once say that you weren't allowed to have your own points of view. To be perfectly honest, I was wary about posting what I said because of things like this happening. I merely said that a lot of people are saying that she's just a bunch of pixels that can't have sex, and I was just suggesting that maybe people could look past that and answer the question creatviely within Lara's own universe. Remember, I was suggesting, I wasn't forcing it on anyone.

If you would like to travel down that road - perhaps try to open your mind and view things from another perspective yourself.

I can understand what you mean, maybe in my post I sounded like I was trying to force my opinion on everyone, but that's not how I intended it. If I should view things from another perspective, which I perhaps will, then don't you try it as well?

Nannonxyay
04-03-09, 17:53
I would comment on the subject, but my words would probably make people scarred for life. :p

spikejones
04-03-09, 17:56
ahh... but if you read back.. you will see that I have ;)
or perhaps you did not recognize it because the outcome was not what you had hoped? Just because I can open my mind to another point of view, does not mean that it will change to what yours is.

as a side note here for those who argue that "character is important to a game" - have you ever played "fusion frenzy"? There's not much of a character description there - but it is still fun ;)

Goose
04-03-09, 18:01
or perhaps you did not recognize it because the outcome was not what you had hoped? Just because I can open my mind to another point of view, does not mean that it will change to what yours is.

as a side note here for those who argue that "character is important to a game" - have you ever played "fusion frenzy"? There's not much of a character description there - but it is still fun ;)

Its impossible to say 'characters important in a game' meaning ALL games. Most games before 1990 didnt have characters but were great.

But games that take off movies need good characters to lead them, Tomb Raider is just the female Indiana Jones, and Indy's character is what sold the movies, just like Lara sold Tomb Raider. Whether you play them because of her character or to just play a game with no intention of reaching a conclusion with it, in reality, her character is very important. Thats real reality, as in: http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/d/dollar-bill-emoticon.gif

Changeling
04-03-09, 18:04
or perhaps you did not recognize it because the outcome was not what you had hoped?

Well then, I apologise. But I didn't mean for my post to go this far.

Just because I can open my mind to another point of view, does not mean that it will change to what yours is.

Getting a slight feeling that you're implying that I'm ignorant and want everyone to think the way I do.

I've never played that game, but for me, a character is part of the game, I don't really play it just for fun. I like to be immersed into the storyline, and a character's personality does that for me. ;)

Psychos'Я'Us
04-03-09, 18:05
Of course not! xD

spikejones
04-03-09, 18:06
monopoly?:ton:

perhaps that is what the guys at the top will come to the conclusion of - but perhaps we should hold a poll of what attracts gamers the most?

1. story line
2. depth of character
3. what you get to do

I can see a very well wrote out story with a very in depth character, but the mechanism being a very boring one. How many people would play a game where all you get to do is write news articles as a means to prevent a horrible political move? As noble as the cause may be, the mechanism is boring.

adventurerLara
04-03-09, 18:09
I don't think so:p, but I wouldn't want to think of her in that way

Goose
04-03-09, 18:09

Indeed.....:pi:

I can see a very well wrote out story with a very in depth character, but the mechanism being a very boring one. How many people would play a game where all you get to do is write news articles as a means to prevent a horrible political move? As noble as the cause may be, the mechanism is boring.

Sounds boring, but isnt far off games like 'CIVILIZATIONS' or 'Gangsters: Organised Crime'. Just put a little imput, then watch it happen.

That goes back to selling, poor mechanism and gameplay wont sell just like poor character and story wont. Gameplay was pretty much the downfall of AOD, even though it was story driven.

Lavinder
04-03-09, 18:10
I would comment on the subject, but my words would probably make people scarred for life. :p

Hardly..

And Lara is not a virgin in my mind, neither is she in my fanfictions :p.

Changeling
04-03-09, 18:10

Must be the reason I've never played it. :p

spikejones
04-03-09, 18:18
That goes back to selling, poor mechanism and gameplay wont sell just like poor character and story wont. Gameplay was pretty much the downfall of AOD, even though it was story driven.
I wouldn't say so much the gameplay as I would say control - unless that is what you are getting at. Take the Crystal controls and put that into AOD and you'd have a much better game. But you are right about poor character and poor story not making desirable sales for the producers. There are many different people who look at many different things when it comes to games. Some people want a gripping story, others want a lot of action - so they have to find a balance between the two. It just so happens for me that if a game hits the market which features the activities I enjoy controlling - I will base my purchase decision on that and not any kind of story that may or may not be on the box. To me, its just not as important. I wont say that it doesn't add to the overall effect if you find that you enjoy watching the cutscenes and what not, because it does. But for me... thats not the selling point.

Goose
04-03-09, 18:47
Yea i suppose im the same in a way, i like both, im happy to play first person shooters with minimal story, like Wolfenstein and Blakestone, but then i love games like Final Fantasy 7 and Crisis Core, along with the Fallout series.

But from a media point of view you have to put the money on the character. It doesnt even need a deep story, like movies prove, Rambo did fine, had a great story in one, then basically none in the rest. Still good fun though, and gets the money in, just because we know rambo's hard as nails from his character.

Larapink
04-03-09, 18:52
pixels don't have sex
Correction, Lara is made up of Polygons not Pixels. ;)

Lee croft
04-03-09, 18:55
pixels don't have sex

clearly you have never seen playboy the mansion on ps2 lol .... its quite a stupid game actually!!!!!

how they can turn it into a game i dont know :vlol:

erosan
04-03-09, 18:58

i agree, this is ridiculous.

Benguitar
04-03-09, 19:12
That sounded as if you were saying that most non-virgin women are whores :confused::p

I doubt she's a virgin though.

No no no no, just comparing the two extremes. ;)

Indiana Croft
04-03-09, 19:14
she's no virgin. but she doesn't sleep arond either. she's just had sex. lol simple as that

Benguitar
04-03-09, 19:16
she's no virgin. but she doesn't sleep arond either. she's just had sex. lol simple as that

Wow that was very similar! :yik: :vlol:

I think she is a bit reserved as to show a bit of seduction and mystery to the game players.

Reggie
04-03-09, 20:01
that is the story... their role - the conflict/resolution - pitting protagonist against antagonist. This is actually enjoying the story not so much as the character itself. their look and skills are arguably character traits, but that does not define who they are. They aren't very deep characters. if you ask yourself: what defines Lara versus what defines Sonic or Mario, you will undoubtedly get very different results and way more back story defining who Lara is compared to who Sonic or Mario is. That is because they put a lot of effort into modeling Lara into a realistic character with emotions, parents, a history, etc.. all of which get revealed in FMV's and cutscenes - whereas they did not do so with the mario and sonic adventures. Mario and Sonic are very much flat characters themselves without much of a history, but you still enjoy them (I did at least). And being that I did not care to pay attention to the cutscenes in TR, Lara is pretty much still a flat character to me, but I still enjoy the game. Now... if you were to imagine that Robotnik and Bowser were not the arch enemies in those games - they become just another enemy to jump on - and the game is still fun. There is still conflict/resolution. IMO, you don't need to keep putting the same "arch enemy" into the games over and over (Ganon Keeps appearing in Zelda, but if you didn't know that - it would just be yet another temple boss to fight). Point is - you never have to follow the story to finish and enjoy a game. Not for me. For me, it is fun because of those things that I can do within the game. So... it really is irrelevant if Lara is a virgin or not - it doesn't effect how I will complete the game, or my enjoyment of it.

Of course, the issue of whether Lara is a virgin or not doesn't affect me much in the grand scheme of things either but I think its nice that this conversation has developed into a wider look at the importance of character vs. the game itself. We seem to disagree on a subtle point that while you like a game can exist without a mandatory storyline, I don't but that's a matter of taste at the end of the day. A good enough justification for both of us I think. :tmb:

LaraCroftRox
04-03-09, 20:25
I don't think so....:tea:

spikejones
04-03-09, 20:49
Correction, Lara is made up of Polygons not Pixels. ;)
look closer... those polygons are made of pixels :ton:

I've never played that game, but for me, a character is part of the game, I don't really play it just for fun. I like to be immersed into the storyline, and a character's personality does that for me. ;)
well... now lets move on to immersion in the game. for me, it is not the character's personality that does it - as I have pointed out before. It is what I get to do in the game, as well as what the story is. what is the objective? If it is an interesting one, I will find myself immersed in the game. However - and this may be where we are looking at things slightly differently - I don't look at it as though I am watching the game happen, I look at it as though I am actually in the game. I become the character (as a side effect of this, I really hate when the camera takes control, and I prefer first person adventures to third person view as the third person view makes it less immersive. So if there is ever the ability to change third - first, I will always choose first person. So.. now that we have covered how it is that I go about immersing myself in the games, and become the character - the answer to your question when I relate myself to the game world is simple.

Lara is a virgin because I am a virgin.

whether the intention of the developer was to make me the character (as in morrowind) or not - I get the same effect, because I relate to the action and not the character's bio. I am always the character, so the bio they give to the character is meaningless to me... I define the character's history by my own. ;)

Lavinder
04-03-09, 21:18
:vlol: This thread makes me laugh so much - so much skirting.

AmericanAssassin
04-03-09, 21:25
First off... :vlol: :p :vlol: :p :vlol:

Secondly... No, I don't think Lara Croft would be a virgin if she was real. I go by her original birth date, which would make her 41. I imagine she's had many experiences at that age. ;)

Larapink
04-03-09, 21:25
look closer... those polygons are made of pixels :ton:
Of course but pixels make a polygon. ;)

I should know I work with 3d character design all the time. :D

IceColdLaraCroft
04-03-09, 22:48
{eith;3502019']Don't forget the deleted scenes from AOD.

Where was that from? Downloadable content exclusively for XXX-box?

Angelus
04-03-09, 22:49
No, I'm sure Lara lies on her back for random strangers multiple times throughout the week.

Seriously though... why would you sit there and wonder if a video game character is a virgin or not? It's creepy.

Quasimodo
04-03-09, 23:07
Only Toby knows :pi:

Maybe we will, too, if Lara ever retires and decides to write a book.
"At 43 I had an affair with a swarthy Italian who liked to collect porcelain elephants..."

spikejones
04-03-09, 23:32
lara got drunk one night and tried to make it happen... but she passed out. well, to be perfectly honest - it may or may not have happened. she may have been in a black out and wouldn't remember any of it.:o

Shark_Blade
04-03-09, 23:35
Probably not, but the idea of her sleeping with someone like Larson is laughable.I actually laughed out loud at the idea. Too funny. :vlol:

When Larson said "That's just not who you are.." maybe its because he knows Lara deeply, in sort of way..:cln: But clearly Lara prioritise her daddy more, so BANG! dead Larson.

Neteru
04-03-09, 23:53
Further posts removed. As usual, the kids can't control themselves, so bye, bye thread.