PDA

View Full Version : Lara Croft Is ... *Your Own Opinion*

Mr.Bouncer
04-03-09, 15:04
Hey there errybady,
Well most of us have different idea and feelings for Lara Croft, some see her as a character or a group of pixels, others say she's a real woman to him/her or what ever so what do you consider her as ?

01. A Group Of Pixels & Colors
02. A Real Woman (With Some Fictional Connection & Strong Effects To You)
03. Don't Care ...

Justify your answers if you like .....

My Answer Is : #02
I feel she's real to me (i know she isn't but it's a feeling) and she has strong connection to me feels like the elder sister or Soul-Friend and she had strong effects on me and my soul encouraging me to fight for the things i want in so many different ways and to struggle and stand and have a huge determination, specially the song Angel Of Darkness which is a Tomb Raider / Lara Croft defining Techno track by Alex C. (feat. Yasmine K.) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0-i4zNCesk Which is my all-time favorite track n also makes me cry although it's more of a dance song but the words are sooooo effective.

violentblossom
04-03-09, 15:06
1 and 2.

She's obviously not a real person, but her story and background helps me feel like i'm really in the game.

]{eith
04-03-09, 15:55
1 & 2.

She's not real, but she has had a huge impact. Her message is simple and one we should all follow; live life to the fullest and do what it is that want to do in life.

MattTR
04-03-09, 15:58
I feel she's both #1 and #2, both because.. she's a pixel yes, but at the same time she impacts a lot of our lives.. there were blockbuster movies, beautiful models, and time consuming games that impacted our lives, not to mention the creation of Tomb Raider Forums that brought us all together. :hug:

Thanks to Lara I've met so many nice people and friends, it's all thanks to her and Justin for reuniting a powerful fanbase, who I love and care deeply about more than a lot of things in this life, thank you all for being so kind and making me feel like a big family in this (mostly) loving community. :) :hug:

:gki:

dizzydoil
04-03-09, 16:01
I feel she's bog #1 and #2, both because.. she's a pixel yes, but at the same time she impacts a lot of our lives.. there were blockbuster movies, beautiful models, and time consuming games that impacted our lives, not to mention the creation of Tomb Raider Forums that brought us all together. :hug:

Thanks to Lara I've met so many nice people and friends, it's all thanks to her and Justin for reuniting a powerful fanbase, who I love and care deeply about more than a lot of things in this life, thank you all for being so kind and making me feel like a big family in this (mostly) loving community. :) :hug:

:jmp: - :tmb: I totally agree.

patriots88888
04-03-09, 16:01
#4: Taking a lot of abuse these days! :p

spikejones
04-03-09, 16:02
#1 - that's it. she doesn't inspire me to do anything. she's just a group of pixels created by placing images over/around a "wire mesh".

MattTR
04-03-09, 16:07
:jmp: - :tmb: I totally agree.

Thanks, and fixed that silly "bog - both" typo. :hug:

Larapink
04-03-09, 17:10
For me 1 & 2 aswell. :D

I feel she's both #1 and #2, both because.. she's a pixel yes, but at the same time she impacts a lot of our lives.. there were blockbuster movies, beautiful models, and time consuming games that impacted our lives, not to mention the creation of Tomb Raider Forums that brought us all together. :hug:

I totally agree with you Matt! :D:jmp:

Reggie
04-03-09, 17:17

That's a very sweet post and I agree with you but what do you mean by 'reunited'? was the fan base ever disbanded? :confused: Sorry if I'm just reading into that too much! :o

I would also add that Lara's actual personality and character still remains an enigma. Is she the Legend Lara we've seen recently? is she the classic Lara we knew and loved from before? Is she a virgin? (Tear asked that question not me!). All these questions have caused us to debate her as a character for years.

Drone
04-03-09, 17:28
I choose neither of those.

She's a heroine - a legendary woman. Heroine means she's not real but it also means that she's not a bunch of pixels. She leaves not only amongst the code lines. She lives in people minds and hearts.

and I do care

:wve:

Benguitar
04-03-09, 19:13
1# for me. :wve:

Mr.Bouncer
04-03-09, 19:57

and we're so happy to have you with us as a great guy among us (one of the minority of nice peeps in this time).

Angelus
04-03-09, 20:26
#1 for me. :)

ClassicCroft
04-03-09, 20:29
1 & 2 :D i love lara as game character

LaraCroftRox
04-03-09, 20:54

Took the words right out of my mouth. :hug: Exactly what MattTR said. :hug:

silver_wolf
04-03-09, 20:54
eh...#2, sort of. She's always seemed sort of impersonal in her games. I never really felt as strong a connection with her as I could. That being said, I do love the character.

Changeling
04-03-09, 21:34
Precisely what MattTR said. :jmp:

da tomb raider!
04-03-09, 21:36
Whilst I certainly like Lara Croft (well, Core Design's one), she's still only a video game character to me, and I definitely don't see her as a "real woman", so it's #1 for me.

Regulator
04-03-09, 22:26
#1 for me.

Though she tends to inspire me and she got me into learning history back at a young age.

AmericanAssassin
04-03-09, 22:40
I realize that she's not real (#1), but I tend to lead toward #2. I have strong emotional ties with her character. The series has made me cry a time or two. :p

spikejones
04-03-09, 22:57
The series has made me cry a time or two. :p
if that series made you cry... try out Dreamfall

MadCroy101
05-03-09, 00:20
1 and 2 :p I think that she has a pretty good impact on the world.:)

mau3genius
05-03-09, 00:27
For me, she something a bit deeper than a bunch of pixels. It's a really nice character, and the essence of the franchise. I love(d) her! But, I don't see Lara as a real woman.
So no choice for me :p

Paddy
05-03-09, 00:29
Tbh I choose number 3.
I enjoy her character and all but to me its a game and thats all, I love the series of going around looking for artifacts and stuff like that.

Atlantean-Squid
05-03-09, 00:33
#1; not because I ignore the stories and environments of the games, but because I think Lara is a badly-designed and unbelievable character. I play the games for their interesting locations, which is why only the first and second games really interest me.

EmeraldFields
05-03-09, 01:11
#1 for me.
:D

aileenwuornos
05-03-09, 01:22
#4: Taking a lot of abuse these days! :p
Hahah yes, I like this option also.

To me, Lara has always been a strong and independant leading lady. I know she's a bunch of pixels, but I've always found I can relate to self-empowered, self-enlightened and self-respecting individuals. Lara is no exception, even if she's not real.

Jedd Fletcher
05-03-09, 04:30
Lara Croft is obviously a fictional character, but one of the most interesting ones I've come across. To me, Lara Croft is James Bond and Indiana Jones wrapped in the package of an attractive, intelligent, wealthy, sophisticated yet gung-ho Bristish Lady. I love how she challenges stereotypes, lounging around in a lavish mansion one day and polishing off mercenaries in the jungles of Bolivia the next.

Tyrannosaurus
05-03-09, 06:45
04. A video game protagonist.

I, too, once felt that Lara was "real", but that was when I was young, naive, had never been in a relationship, and had a rather shriveled literary experience. Now she is not real to me at all, and the more I grow, the more my soul hungers for depth and meaning in the stories I follow. Lara Croft is myth to me; she has become as such and her own popularity has more or less prevented her from ever obtaining "reality" in my eyes. There is no single Lara Croft any more; instead there are about four or five Laras from the various games and movies in which she has starred, and presumably, countless more Laras created through fan art, fan fiction, and comics.

I would really like to meet the "real" Lara Croft some day. Perhaps in a game that finally has the courage to age and mature the character, explore her with wit, insight, humor, and honesty. And to give her a story we can actually care about, with a beginning, middle, and end.

Afonya
05-03-09, 07:25
2 more than 1 to me. Reason why I love Lara is because I have something in common with her, and I know that she's "just" a gamecharacter but she feels like a real person. She's like role model to me.

Mr.Bouncer
05-03-09, 08:38
2 more than 1 to me. Reason why I love Lara is because I have something in common with her, and I know that she's "just" a gamecharacter but she feels like a real person. She's like role model to me.

eXACTLY ...

Rivendell
05-03-09, 09:19
To be honest I don't think Lara is any of those things to me.

She's (at times) a cool character who can get herself mixed up in an interesting situation, but other than that I only like her because she seems to be a lesson in how not to behave as a human.

She's borderline ... no, scratch that, she is psychotic. Don't do as she says? Don't get out of her way? Die. Look at her the wrong way? Die. Have something she wants? Die.

Don't get me wrong - that's something I like about her, but I don't consider her an inspirational or admirable figure, nor do I idolise her because I've always considered Lara Croft, first and foremost as a murderer who just doesn't care.

So I don't see her as a real person because there's little about her that I can actually relate to, yet she's not really just pixels and graphics to me because she's been in my mind for, what.. 13 years? (Wow) I guess she's more like a character from a book to me now. Just a name, an image, and a wondeful lack of morality.

:tmb:

Mr.Bouncer
05-03-09, 09:30
To be honest I don't think Lara is any of those things to me.

She's (at times) a cool character who can get herself mixed up in an interesting situation, but other than that I only like her because she seems to be a lesson in how not to behave as a human.

She's borderline ... no, scratch that, she is psychotic. Don't do as she says? Don't get out of her way? Die. Look at her the wrong way? Die. Have something she wants? Die.

Don't get me wrong - that's something I like about her, but I don't consider her an inspirational or admirable figure, nor do I idolise her because I've always considered Lara Croft, first and foremost as a murderer who just doesn't care.

So I don't see her as a real person because there's little about her that I can actually relate to, yet she's not really just pixels and graphics to me because she's been in my mind for, what.. 13 years? (Wow) I guess she's more like a character from a book to me now. Just a name, an image, and a wondeful lack of morality.

ur ryt abt what u said but i can't agree that Lara is some murderer or something like that ... she always wanna reach her goal n wishes other's avoid standing in her why but they just won't leave her alone, I believe she's so emotional yet strong enough to hide all those emotions n lovely feelings, she's made of Metal & Fur

Catapharact
05-03-09, 09:36
Lara is some murderer or something like that ...

On the contrary, Riv is right on the money. Just search up the term "Psychopath" online and compare the charactersitics of a Psychopathic personality to that of Lara. You will be surprised to find just how many of her aspects match up with a textbook Psychopathic personality.

And that the bit that amuses me when kids actually say things like "Lara Croft is my idol! She is such a cool heroine!"

Ah... Her? ... Heroine? I don't think so.

MiCkiZ88
05-03-09, 09:46

She's a game character that I did like, but that's it. I didn't come to the forums to talk about Lara's braid or what tint of color her leotard is or is it an leotard after all, no. I came here to talk about Tomb Raider, which used to be the game that I loved over some silly Japanese rpg game, but now look how it turned around.

Her character got ruined in my honest opinion. Not by the lack of emotions (since that is when you were truly able to connect with the character), but with the overdoze of them. I do have to agree that she still is bloody insane for going on all those adventures just to find some relic or information, but the essence of her character.. meh.. it's gone to me.

But thanks to these forums I'm able to share my views on the game (just have to dodge a few bricks and insults) and thanks to being here, I found my fiance.

I guess I do owe Justin a thank you for creating these forums. :)

Mr.Bouncer
05-03-09, 10:04
She's My Elder Sister n BESTEST Friend n Idol Heroine ... and so damn proud of that ;)

Survival
05-03-09, 10:18

marla_biggs
05-03-09, 11:40
#2 she's real (in my head :cln:) i've liked her since i was a kid, i feel a connection with lara :)

Mr.Bouncer
05-03-09, 11:41
#2 she's real (in my head :cln:) i've liked her since i was a kid, i feel a connection with lara :)

GREAT ... i LOVE that

sandygrimm
05-03-09, 11:59
none of the above..
to me she is just a very popular and influential game character:)

interstellardave
05-03-09, 12:05

She's a game character that I did like, but that's it. I didn't come to the forums to talk about Lara's braid or what tint of color her leotard is or is it an leotard after all, no. I came here to talk about Tomb Raider, which used to be the game that I loved over some silly Japanese rpg game, but now look how it turned around.

I agree with this almost completely. ;)

I never cared about the character in Cores' day or in this current day... the game is the thing! Lara started overshadowing the actual game even before CD came on board--like a lead singer in a band overshadowing that band and finally going out on his/her own.

I'm one of the people who always has said that it could have been any character in the original game and I would have loved it... girl, guy, transexual, whatever... lol! :cln:

Afonya
05-03-09, 12:08

I have to say something (my opinion) to this. I don't underwrite or accept everything my idols do or think. I just like Lara the way I understand her, although I don't like all the things she does, like killing. I've seen Lara allways as a fair person, who does what she wants. And I think Lara is unconcerned and sometimes cold because she thinks that if she's too emotional she will suffer or something. But anyways I think she tries to understand people and she really isn't just a murderer to me.

And again, I know she's a game character but I think, Lara's creator created really exciting person.

Atlantean-Squid
05-03-09, 12:10
some stuff

*not into wasting space by quoting big posts*

That's precisely my line of thinking. I just can't find anything to sympathise with in her character.

Kiss-Bite
05-03-09, 12:37
I have always loved the spirit of the character of Lara Croft. Her quest for knowledge without fear of the unknown is something I've always felt was quite attractive about the pixel-ed icon.The mix of being dangerous to those in her way yet not bad at heart, always polite & very passionate was quite unique.:)

Despite her psychotic tendencies there's is something quite beautiful about Lara & I don't mean her appearance. Her physical abilities, the gymnastics & ballet utilised to conqueror the environment & nature I've always thought had such a grace & elegance to it.

However, the world that Lara Croft inhabits was just as important to why I liked Tomb Raider. Traveling to diverse locations & exploring ancient cultures (myth & real) always felt special, especially in Core's TR games. The world & Lara herself managed to absorb me into this fictional realm like I never have been before.

So I don't think of Lara & Tomb Raider as real in anyway, wouldn't want it to be because TR & Lara are the best at making me escape reality for a while. However, the feeling of escapism that Lara & Tomb Raider offer me is real.:D

ShadyCroft
05-03-09, 15:01
For me she's 1 and 2. She is a gaming character, a fictional person, a bunch of pixels and polygons, etc, but part of #2 is true...

true for all of us...

You see, she had an affect on us. No, maybe not some sort of inspirational effect or anything, but she provided us (whether the game, character,etc) with hours of fun and enjoyment...

and the fact that you're all discussing her and still follow her series proves that.

NemesisX13X
05-03-09, 16:31
#1. shes dumb :tea:

Marianna12
05-03-09, 16:40
For me she's 1 and 2. She is a gaming character, a fictional person, a bunch of pixels and polygons, etc, but part of #2 is true...

true for all of us...

You see, she had an affect on us. No, maybe not some sort of inspirational effect or anything, but she provided us (whether the game, character,etc) with hours of fun and enjoyment...

and the fact that you're all discussing her and still follow her series proves that.

I have to agree here...
Of course she's not real, but the fact that this forum has so many members, proves that Lara has affected all of us (in a different way each other).

Maybe some people are thinking all the time about her, some others are collecting photos and stuff and others are just playing the game and having fun!
In my opinion every active member in this forum is affected from Lara and a bit addicted....That's all!
(Sorry for my bad english):p

EgyptianSoul
05-03-09, 16:54
None of the above. I liked Lara as the cold merciless ***** she used to be. I don't like her anymore. The game has lost its impact and so has the character because of the personality change they've given her.

TR93
05-03-09, 20:17

true for all of us...

I agree completely...
Both 1...and 2 :)

Yes Lara is Pixels and nothing more than a game character but Tomb Raider has played quite a major part in my life I guess, helped me get my mind off things when I felt low and bad
and I have alot of fun playing TR

I feel exactly the same:)...

Thanks To TR I've found a great game, and also found wonderful friends on the forum, you all make my day and I love chatting to you all:hug:..
Awww, I think it's great to have such a friendly forum, ya'll are the best:hug:

Love ya all:hug: