PDA

View Full Version : Forum has Been very boring Lately

MyRaider4Life
06-03-09, 05:14
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share my opinion on something which that this forum is getting to boring lately.
Whenever I am on minimal people are on the forums, Threads have not been active for hours that are the latest post and it is really making me not come on here as much.
I love this forum nodout but it is really getting boring and there is nothing to discuss anymore and some really popular threads are getting about 1 page of posts a day which usually get like 5-6 pages.

I just wanted to share my opinion to this forum and I hope I did not upset anyone or make anybody feel bad. :)

Thanks.

ChingKong
06-03-09, 05:16
i partly agree with you...lol...i mean considering all of the new info plus dusans kick-ass
program, we've been pretty dead....

why do i feel like this thread is gonna become spamified

MyRaider4Life
06-03-09, 05:19
i partly agree with you...lol...i mean considering all of the new info plus dusans kick-ass

Yeah,
Dusan's thread has been like the only thread with multipule hits but other threads have none.

Larapink
06-03-09, 05:21
Not that boring in the underworld forum everyone is talking about the 360 dlc's. :D

Draco
06-03-09, 05:22
Maybe doing more than one thing when you are online is a good idea?

MyRaider4Life
06-03-09, 05:23
Maybe doing more than one thing when you are online is a good idea?

I am doing more than one thing on the internet but this is a very good forum and it feels like people are drifting away from it. :(

Draco
06-03-09, 05:24
Imagine how I feel.

MyRaider4Life
06-03-09, 05:25
Imagine how I feel.

About what?

ChingKong
lol......we need some spam bots :D....or some heated arguments to uhh spicen things
up....i like a good argument http://i42.************/2gsgar4.gif

Shark_Blade
lol :vlol:

It's like you went to the playground and say to your friends it's been boring lately.

Do things to spice things up, contribute something fun or interesting to the community :D, or like for example what Dusan did, or what Quasi did..XNA Lara MGC style..:whi:

Don't wait for things to happen, make it happen!

MyRaider4Life
06-03-09, 05:27
You dont understand how many times I have tired to spice things up on this forums but it didnt work,
And what about Quasi?
What MGC Thing?

trXD
06-03-09, 05:31
Its been boring for a long time for me.

I used to be the most active member, people used to say "oh great its 10 threads a day guy again"... true story (they were pretty mean).

ChingKong
06-03-09, 05:31
Mature GenChat....cant wait.....:o

Solice
06-03-09, 06:03
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share my opinion on something which that this forum is getting to boring lately.
Whenever I am on minimal people are on the forums, Threads have not been active for hours that are the latest post and it is really making me not come on here as much.
I love this forum nodout but it is really getting boring and there is nothing to discuss anymore and some really popular threads are getting about 1 page of posts a day which usually get like 5-6 pages.

I just wanted to share my opinion to this forum and I hope I did not upset anyone or make anybody feel bad. :)

Thanks.

The admins are too strict. I understand the need to keep order. But they will lock a thread so fast, even if people are enjoying it and its not violating any rules. They just think it might at some later time violate rules, or there is another thread that has a common topic.

They should let people express themselves more. More than once I have become frustrated and considered leaving.

ChingKong
06-03-09, 06:09
meh we always find a way ;)

Shark_Blade
06-03-09, 06:09
You dont understand how many times I have tired to spice things up on this forums but it didnt work,
And what about Quasi?
What MGC Thing?Maybe a few years later when you're older. :ton::p

MyRaider4Life
06-03-09, 06:11
Im Guessing she made a naked Lara. :cln:

ChingKong
06-03-09, 06:14
:vlol: or some...uhh....pose :whi:

Shark_Blade
06-03-09, 06:21
Hush, my children. :D No impure thoughts now.

Lavinder
06-03-09, 08:06
I really miss the old days :(. Less restriction, much more fun, and better members.

trXD
06-03-09, 08:12
I really miss the old days :(. Less restriction, much more fun, and better members.

:vlol:

Wow!

Lavinder
06-03-09, 08:14
I'm not going to be untruthful :p. It's just the forum has gained a different sense of humor that I dislike ever since there has been new members, more childish. :o

the hooliganz
06-03-09, 08:27
I agree, theres less to do here. Nothing been interesting since that 13 year old dad thread.

I miss the days when I was new here, .

Drone
06-03-09, 08:29
I miss early 2008. My AOD days ...

Lavinder
06-03-09, 08:30
I miss the awesome AOD thread where people were changing the characters around - it lasted for aaages :p.

Lavinder
06-03-09, 08:43

I made a naked Lara once, it got removed after about a day :vlol:.

ajrich17901
06-03-09, 08:46
Forums usualy only active when a new game is announced or when we are about to get goodness, so its not that shocking.

Reggie
06-03-09, 11:27
Anyway, I'm not too bothered. I resided on a much quieter TR forum than this for 2 years before coming here and at least I can follow what's going on right now. Sometimes it can be a bit too hectic IMO. I just go with the flow here for the most part and I'm sure things will become more active again as TR9 details get released. The Xbox360 DLC obviously isn't creating a huge amount of excitement compared to what the main games create which is understandable.

violentblossom
06-03-09, 12:32
yeah, this is the most active forum i come to.

some days have boring topics, others are great for discusiion and such.

if you're bored with the forum, then start a new and interesting thread!

EDIT: hahaha, is it me or is it funny and ironic that that Angel person came into this thread to start trouble.????

funny.

IceColdLaraCroft
06-03-09, 12:33
Hey Guys,

Thanks.

Maybe you should change when YOU come on. You just said "whenever I am on..." so wouldn't that make YOU the problem and not the forum?

Siberian Tiger
06-03-09, 12:41
If I was finding this place boring then I wouldn't bother to come here at all. I actually joined this forum back in 2003 and things were a bit different, but I never really got too involved (nothing to do with it being boring). I mostly come here to visit the TRLE section which I find enjoyable, along with visiting the TR sections and other video games. My only gripe here would be a lot of people seem very far up their own backsides they can probably see what they ate for dinner, but you get that pretty much everywhere. Plus, it's easy to wrongly perceive what someone means when all you have is their text to read. Some people don't intend for it to come off in a bad way.

:)

silver_wolf
06-03-09, 12:56
I wouldn`t say "boring". Slow, yeah. But then, we just got a new TR game, so I suppose things would seem slow.

sandygrimm
06-03-09, 13:04
I for one blame it on the weather :) It's getting better in these parts :)

bloodstormaoa
06-03-09, 13:40
Oh GOD YES! It's been so boring lately.....but i find that that generally happens after a new TR is released. It'll pick up again before TR9

Angelus
06-03-09, 13:41
I agree with whoever said that it's too restricted.

Titanium
06-03-09, 15:07
I agree with whoever said that it's too restricted.

Definately, I've seen threads get locked because of two members squabbling, yet all the other people who are interested in the discussion get to miss out.

2004... care free forum days. :D

patriots88888
06-03-09, 15:21
A boring song for a boring forum and a boring thread! :whi: :p :D

lx13RS_oMvs

spikejones
06-03-09, 15:23
Ive been getting bored too... that's why I went to www.bored.com and destroyed the forum :mis: but seriously.. I think the reason it has gotten boring is the fact that people would rather indulge in mindless forums games and banter about pop tartlets with no talent - than to talk about stuff that has a purpose.

any rate.. start a thread or two. eventually the older "popular threads" will loose interest. except for the abominable britney thread which never seems to die. *****es.

patriots88888
06-03-09, 15:27
^ Quit bumper riding me! :p

spikejones
06-03-09, 15:30
eh?:confused:

honestly though - I don't really pay much attention to who says what - I pay attention to what is inside the posts. one of the things that has become apparent to me is the presence of a few different cliques that run around to and fro and mostly only respond to each others' posts and threads unless there is a cross over clique member who responds in the thread - there wont be much convo. anyhoo... I don't look at it like that, if there is something worth discussing and interesting - I will discuss it, regardless of who posted it. I am an equal opportunity conversationalist - and debater.

Draco
06-03-09, 16:16
About what?

I remember people that drifted away from this forum almost a decade ago.

Reggie
06-03-09, 16:54
^True. The whole composition of the forum has changed a lot even since I joined. I still remember the 2005 days when I used to lurk about here as a guest, very different again. But I wonder whether a lot of that is to do with the TR games themselves changing a lot? maybe it has directly affected the kind of fans that TR now has? thus we have a far more pop culture based gen chat (which someone else alluded to here) and certain cliques inevitably came about from the archetypal classic vs. new TR game divide? There are just so many reasons and they're the ones I can say from what I've experienced. I guess TR:AOD must have affected things a lot here in its time as well.

Thus TRF has been in a permanant state of flux since 2000 which reflects directly how TR has itself been in a state of flux as various changes have been made.
So in 2000, strictly fans of TR1-4/5 would be coming here. They wait for AOD and big change! divides pop up already about whether the old style was best or this new darker approach. Game tanks in the media, along comes Crystal and the fandom becomes further fragmented. This is just one factor that surely affected the community a lot.

As for the comment about people being up their own backsides - well although that might come across in the posts, I imagine its not done on purpose for the most and I think I would be able to get along with almost everyone here in an offline situation (would like to meet some of you one day!). One of the reasons I come here is because I like the majority of people here and I want to use TR as a way to get to know like minded people as well as discuss one of the things I love most. And for that reason, I won't be likely to be leaving here any time soon, even if it does get a bit quiet. :)

corey01
06-03-09, 17:03
i know what you mean, thats why im always in the RE5 thread, hehe i never get bored there :p:)

Biddy
06-03-09, 17:09
Yeah, it's a little boring. But I like it here :)

TombRaiderLover
06-03-09, 17:31
I remember the good old Open Chat days, when all we did was post random nonsense. Ahhh . . .

Changeling
06-03-09, 17:35
To me, the Forums have always been lively compared to a lot of other Forums I'm a member of. I did notice things seemed to quieten down a bit, but I'm not that bothered, topics are still made and people still post. As long as that happens, then I'm happy. :D

P.S. did my other post get deleted? If so, why? :confused:

Mr.Burns
06-03-09, 17:35
I remember the good old Open Chat days, when all we did was post random nonsense. Ahhh . . .

Hehehe. The good old days. :) I remember times when people were posting in that thread almost once every few seconds. Crazy times.

Quasimodo
06-03-09, 17:50
Nah. That's not allowed in MGC.

I'm fascinated by these moments when the forums seem to exhibit a 'hive mind'. I've been sensing a lull in the forums for the past week or so, too, but I haven't been churning out much content(new threads, art, discussion topics, competitions, etc.) lately, either.

We each have a responsibility to bring a little something to the party to get things going. If everyone stands around waiting for the other person to crack a joke or do something interesting, we all end up bored. Too many viewers and not enough posters, in other words.

I'd chalk it up to a few things:
Burn-out - hot button topics like the DLC deal have been done to death, and we're all a little battle weary.

We're between games with no big news (about the next game itself).

Discussions in GC lack much depth. Most of them, anyway. Let's have a look...game threads, YT video threads, member pics, mood, purchases, yatta yatta. GC has become like the Twitter of TRF. When there's an interesting news article, most of the replies are either "that's so tragic" or "what a sick person, what's wrong with the world", and there might be some interesting side discussions in there, or in the worst case scenario the discussion gets too heated/personal and the topic gets closed.

On the topic of heated discussions, I'm a wee bit disconcerted by some of things that have been closed or moved to MGC because it was felt that those topics would make people too upset on GC (like a few of the Israel/Palestine discussions). This bothers me because it's like saying we can't be trusted to discuss such a thing civilly. Experience shows that's probably true, but still.

I'm just gonna say it. People will act like children when they are treated like children. People who act like children will get treated like children. We've got to meet each other halfway, and the first move must be made by us. We can't get aggressive when someone has a different opinion, or an opinion based on something absurd. For example, there's still a lot of people who feel like the DLC was a dirty deal. You can explain to them (once) how you feel that's not true, but if they reject your reasoning, what's the point in pursuing it any further?

spikejones
06-03-09, 18:02
You can explain to them (once) how you feel that's not true, but if they reject your reasoning, what's the point in pursuing it any further?
basically... people are a bunch of whiners who can't see anything outside their own butt holes. many people fail to look at things in a logical sense and continue to say "this is how it should be because this is what I want". The world doesn't revolve around any one person. I'm personally overjoyed at that fact - it gives purpose to life. I like the fact that I can come here and see many different points of view. It is unfortunate however that many people are either extremely close minded and can't look at things from a different point of view - or are just afraid to make themselves heard because they are afraid to "offend someone" with their own views. I'm not saying I'm a perfect person and can always see both (or multiple) sides of a story - but I try to. That's why I like to debate things. I like to get a deeper understanding of where a person is coming from, rather than just see a comment like "this is stupid" or "this is awesome". Please tell me WHY you think it is stupid or awesome?

Quasimodo
06-03-09, 18:09
basically... people are a bunch of whiners who can't see anything outside their own butt holes.
In many case, yeah, that's pretty much it. You can't 'win' with them and it exhausts everyone reading to see you try.

It is unfortunate however that many people are either extremely close minded and can't look at things from a different point of view - or are just afraid to make themselves heard because they are afraid to "offend someone" with their own views. I'm not saying I'm a perfect person and can always see both (or multiple) sides of a story - but I try to. That's why I like to debate things. I like to get a deeper understanding of where a person is coming from, rather than just see a comment like "this is stupid" or "this is awesome". Please tell me WHY you think it is stupid or awesome?
You make many excellent points. In some ways a discussion can feel more like a competition or a battle rather than a...discussion. I guess it just takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to accept that you may be wrong or misinformed.

NemesisX13X
06-03-09, 18:10

100% agree :p

da tomb raider!
06-03-09, 18:12
I admit that the forums have been a little less lively recently, but I certainly don't think it's boring. There's still plenty of people chatting away (when I'm online, anyway), and lots of interesting posts to read. I've got to say, though, this place was still far more active back in 2006, what with quizzes, Open Chat Threads, an endless steam of games and of course the never-ending arguments involving Legend, Crystal Dynamics, and Core Design... Things were less restricted then, and I really miss those days sometimes.

Agent 47
06-03-09, 18:44
i wouldn't say TRF has got boring as such. more like "if you're not in a clique/it crowd, why bother posting as you'll only be ignored anyway". all forums are like that, and all contain members who think they're above everyone else and are rather shallow or act like mod wannabe's :( as for the friend feature, simple ego inflation device just for the sake of adding folks you don't even talk to. heck, i only talk with 5 or 6 people. so why send someone an request if you have no intention of talking to them? strange behaviour for sure :vlol:

it's the way it is and the way it will always be.

as mentioned before, forums this size will always have quiet periods, but still remain reasonably active :D

Siberian Tiger
06-03-09, 19:23
^True. The whole composition of the forum has changed a lot even since I joined. I still remember the 2005 days when I used to lurk about here as a guest, very different again. But I wonder whether a lot of that is to do with the TR games themselves changing a lot? maybe it has directly affected the kind of fans that TR now has? thus we have a far more pop culture based gen chat (which someone else alluded to here) and certain cliques inevitably came about from the archetypal classic vs. new TR game divide? There are just so many reasons and they're the ones I can say from what I've experienced. I guess TR:AOD must have affected things a lot here in its time as well.

Thus TRF has been in a permanant state of flux since 2000 which reflects directly how TR has itself been in a state of flux as various changes have been made.
So in 2000, strictly fans of TR1-4/5 would be coming here. They wait for AOD and big change! divides pop up already about whether the old style was best or this new darker approach. Game tanks in the media, along comes Crystal and the fandom becomes further fragmented. This is just one factor that surely affected the community a lot.

As for the comment about people being up their own backsides - well although that might come across in the posts, I imagine its done on purpose for the most and I think I would be able to get along with almost everyone here in an offline situation (would like to meet some of you one day!). One of the reasons I come here is because I like the majority of people here and I want to use TR as a way to get to know like minded people as well as discuss one of the things I love most. And for that reason, I won't be likely to be leaving here any time soon, even if it does get a bit quiet. :)

Input like this is what keeps forum boredom away. :)

I don't see myself leaving here soon either. It's more active than another forum I go to and like I said earlier, I mainly come to check the TRLE section. And with a little patience, the next Tomb Raider will be announced so I'd like to be around to speculate on that.

ShadyCroft
06-03-09, 19:36
I don't think its boring. Maybe less active, but I guess its one of those periods where most folks are busy with their jobs and catching up on homework and stuff they barely get time to surf around alot.

I still love it.

God Horus
06-03-09, 19:49
I do have to say that they are a little less active lately than they usually are. I am most active in the LE forum, and I think it's the same there, but in the other forums I do think it is less active.

Lew
06-03-09, 20:09
I'm not going to be untruthful :p. It's just the forum has gained a different sense of humor that I dislike ever since there has been new members, more childish. :o

Says the one who "pouts" on webcam pictures like a 13 year old. I don't think it's become more childish it all, weve lost alot of good members and some not so good stayed :(

I've noticed theres been more restrictions such as swearing, stating mind, signatures and going on the forums while drunk (ha). On this forum you get screamed at for speaking your mind now :( Ah well

Nerd For Life
06-03-09, 20:11
I don't think its boring. Maybe less active, but I guess its one of those periods where most folks are busy with their jobs and catching up on homework and stuff they barely get time to surf around alot.

I still love it.

Yeah especially with people in college and school... I just started my second semester :)

NympHadorA
06-03-09, 20:33
these days I began to feel like this way too I have to admit...

quarrystile
06-03-09, 20:46
Time for a .... "need a giggle"

Dear Ms Smith

Over the past six months, it has came to our attention that you have been causing quite a commotion in our store. We cannot tolerate this behavior and have been forced to ban you from the store. Our complaints against you are listed below and are documented by our video surveillance cameras.

#1 June 15:

Took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in people's Trolley's when they weren't looking.

#2 July 2:

Set all the alarm clocks in Homewares to go off at 5-minute intervals.

#3 July 7:

Made a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the women's toilet

#4 July 19:

Walked up to an employee and told her in an official voice, "Code 3 in Housewares. Get on it right away."

#5 August 4:

Went to the Service Desk and tried to put a bag of jelly babies in reserve.

#6 August 14:

Moved a "CAUTION - WET FLOOR" sign to a carpeted area.

#7 August 15:

Set up a tent in the camping department and told other shoppers you would invite them in if they would bring pillows and blankets from the bedding department.

#8 August 23:

When an assistant asked if they could help, you began crying and screamed, "Why can't you people just leave me alone?"

#9 September 4:

Looked right into the security camera in the cosmetics department, used it as a mirror while you applied a lipstick taken from the shelf, then proceeded to stick out your tongue.

#10 September 10:

While handling kitchen knives in the homeware department, you asked an assistant where the antidepressants were.

#11 October 3:

Darted around the store suspiciously, shouting, "Tag... Your it" to bewildered customers.

#12 October 6:

In the Cookery department, you practiced your "Madonna look" by using different sizes of funnels.

#13 October 18:

Hid in a clothing rack and when people browsed through, yelled "PICK ME! PICK ME!"

And last, but not least.

#14 October 23:
Went into a fitting room, shut the door, waited awhile, then yelled very loudly, "Hey! There's no toilet paper in here!"

Angelus
06-03-09, 22:14
eh?:confused:

honestly though - I don't really pay much attention to who says what - I pay attention to what is inside the posts. one of the things that has become apparent to me is the presence of a few different cliques that run around to and fro and mostly only respond to each others' posts and threads unless there is a cross over clique member who responds in the thread - there wont be much convo. anyhoo... I don't look at it like that, if there is something worth discussing and interesting - I will discuss it, regardless of who posted it. I am an equal opportunity conversationalist - and debater.

Cliques? I haven't noticed cliques on here. :confused:

Immortalis08
06-03-09, 22:17
Mature GenChat....cant wait.....:o

I got access...I went in, and I was never the same again. :confused: I'm scarred for life now.

lol......we need some spam bots :D....or some heated arguments to uhh spicen things
up....i like a good argument http://i42.************/2gsgar4.gif

Ahem. *Points at Location* I'm working on it. :mis:

Cliques? I haven't noticed cliques on here. :confused:

Really? I definitely saw it. It was more apparent before but either that or I just became desensitized to it.

Angelus
06-03-09, 22:21
Really? I definitely saw it. It was more apparent before but either that or I just became desensitized to it.

I just probably haven't noticed... :confused:

God Horus
06-03-09, 22:26
@quarrystile

OMG! :vlol:

Feather Duster
06-03-09, 22:33
Oh, I just hag out at the fan artwork area :wve: I find it fun there! :)

Immortalis08
06-03-09, 22:36
Oh, I just hag out at the fan artwork area :wve: I find it fun there! :)

:vlol: Oh typos. How the meaning of the sentence changes dramatically.

Ikas90
06-03-09, 22:44
I'll be honest and I'll agree. The forum stopped being fun over a year ago. That was when a lot of my friends left and had no one else to talk with in Open Chat. Well it's not that, but I haven't been able to be as active as I was before. Tbh, the only fun places now are GC and MGC, when there is a decent topic going about.

Mr.Burns
06-03-09, 22:47
I'll be honest and I'll agree. The forum stopped being fun over a year ago. That was when a lot of my friends left and had no one else to talk with in Open Chat. Well it's not that, but I haven't been able to be as active as I was before. Tbh, the only fun places now are GC and MGC, when there is a decent topic going about.

Change that, we should. :)

Angelus
06-03-09, 22:52
But when we do have a decent discussion or debate going, the thread gets closed because of people arguing, or because the content isn't "suitable" for General Chat.

TRfan23
06-03-09, 22:55
No it's been ok on here, guess all the hype over any new TR games is out in the dust. So it's been neutral talk lately ;)

The only way to make it entertaining, is by making a thread about the forum being boring ;) I love this thread :)

Titanium
06-03-09, 22:59
But when we do have a decent discussion or debate going, the thread gets closed because of people arguing, or because the content isn't "suitable" for General Chat.

Exactly. I've looked at threads like that and been like. "Well why? It was a really good conversation and got many members interested"

Mr.Burns
06-03-09, 23:01

I know what you mean Angelus, but I had something else in mind. Can't talk about it just yet but me thinks it could be fun :)

Catapharact
06-03-09, 23:02
Exactly. I've looked at threads like that and been like. "Well why? It was a really good conversation and got many members interested"

Well if the members can actually control themselves to the point where they do not accuse each other of ludicious things and argue the point on the point and not go upon personal attacks then yeah we can actually have a good conversation going.

However... considering the crowd Titanium, how many times has that actually happened realistically? Almost never... Which is kinda sad.