PDA

View Full Version : Lord Mandelson Gets Slimed

Jo269976
06-03-09, 11:07
It's 90's Nickelodeon all over again :vlol:

http://news.aol.co.uk/mandelson-slimed-by-protester/article/20090306030645100567394

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-eu/UKPP/1/310/-/90/http://www.aolcdn.com/aoluk_feeds/category/200903/20090306052799199333602

A climate change activist threw a cup of green "slime" over Lord Mandelson as he arrived at a summit to launch the Government's low carbon industrial strategy.
The Business Secretary, who was caught in the face seconds after getting out of his ministerial car, dismissed the incident as an "adolescent prank".
Leila Deen, 29, from the campaign group Plane Stupid was able to walk to within a couple of feet of Lord Mandelson before launching her attack outside the Royal Society in London and then walk away again unchallenged.
She told reporters afterwards that she was protesting over a reported meeting between Lord Mandelson and lobbyists for Heathrow owner BAA, shortly before the Government gave the go-ahead for the airport's third runway.

"The only thing green about Peter Mandelson is the slime coursing through his veins," she said.
"He was trying to make political capital out of this summit but we are just not prepared to let him get away with it."
Gordon Brown, who was also attending the event, made light of the incident.
"If anybody doubted the greening of Peter Mandelson and his willingness to take the green agenda on his shoulders we've seen it in practice on our television screens already this morning," he joked.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said no arrests had been made and an investigation would only be launched if a complaint was received.
Plane Stupid has mounted a number of high profile protests and stunts in recent years, including one activist who briefly glued himself to the Prime Minister at a Downing Street reception.

disneyprincess20
06-03-09, 11:35
I saw this this morning on the news. Frankly she's not doing herself, or her cause, any favours. It's not like Mandelson will think kindly towards protesters of they go around throwing stuff at him, and meet with them in the future. I imagine he's less likely to listen to them now, because they throw stuff at him. Admittedly, the bloke deserves it, but dragging in a good cause to this debacle just give the cause a bad name, when the organisers of the cause have done nothing wrong.

That said, it did remind me of Noel's House Party :D

M.A.
06-03-09, 11:36
Poor guy. Well, at least it's not a pair of shoes. Would have hurt more since he seem to not posses George Bush lightning quick reflexes.. :D

Goose
06-03-09, 12:10
I think she successfully persuaded him to buy that 4x4 with the massive exhaust he wanted.

Reggie
06-03-09, 12:31
Slime. How apt. :)

Rivendell
06-03-09, 12:38
I saw this this morning on the news. Frankly she's not doing herself, or her cause, any favours.

True, but damn did I get a good laugh out of the slow-motion replays on BBCnews24!

:vlol:

Goose
06-03-09, 12:44
VFV5U9S8Asc

The woman who walks passed on her mobile is the best, not even bothered by any of it.

res27772
06-03-09, 13:03
It's 90's Nickelodeon all over again :vlol:

Had to happen sooner or later. :vlol:

The guy's a total tosspot anyway and deserved worse.

res27772
06-03-09, 13:05
VFV5U9S8Asc

The woman who walks passed on her mobile is the best, not even bothered by any of it.

Just gets funnier every time I watch it. :vlol:

Forwen
06-03-09, 13:08
Plane Stupid? The same guys that made morons of themselves recently blocking one of Stansted taxiways? You have no idea how I despise those nuts. Green slime. How ironic.

IceColdLaraCroft
06-03-09, 13:18
its pea soup and it's stupid. It accomplished NOTHING...if anything it's just going to make him angry and he's going to want to expand heathrow even further.

I hate people like that who think by throwing liquids on people that it's a form of protest. It's just RUDE and uncalled for.

She's doing the absolute LEAST she can do for her cause.

res27772
06-03-09, 13:19
its pea soup and it's stupid. It accomplished NOTHING...if anything it's just going to make him angry and he's going to want to expand heathrow even further.

I hate people like that who think by throwing liquids on people that it's a form of protest. It's just RUDE and uncalled for.

She's doing the absolute LEAST she can do for her cause.
Still funny as hell though. :vlol:

disneyprincess20
06-03-09, 13:22
its pea soup and it's stupid.

Apparently it was green custard (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7927668.stm).

IceColdLaraCroft
06-03-09, 13:31
^ I'm watching BBC World News right now and Liz Ducet (sp?) said it was pea soup :p

as if, WHAT it is makes a difference for it to be "right" or not

Another Lara
06-03-09, 13:34
lmao, that was hilarious, I'm neither for or against the cause that she's a protestor for, but for getting at Mandelson like that, she has my eternal respect...

Although shame it wasn't acid or flesh eating bugs of some kind, but then I spose slime is fitting for him! :pi:

Goose
06-03-09, 13:40
lmao, that was hilarious, I'm neither for or against the cause that she's a protestor for, but getting Mandelson like she has my eternal respect...

Although shame it wasn't acid or flesh eating bugs of some kind, but then I spose slime is fitting for him! :pi:

Probably will be acid the next time something like that happens, shows how easy it is.

Chances are she only did it to get laid with some hippy, you can tell she's the yuppie type.

Joely-Moley
06-03-09, 13:40
Because this is the way to make people take you and your cause seriously, throw custard in their face.

IceColdLaraCroft
06-03-09, 13:41
^^ I'm pretty sure that was a Starbucks cup :vlol:

Exactly Joely-Moley!

Goose
06-03-09, 13:46
Because this is the way to make people take you and your cause seriously, through custard in their face.

Maybe she's a double agent!? Sent to ruin the reputation of protesters for the environment?!? :pi:

Joely-Moley
06-03-09, 13:47
Maybe she's a double agent!? Sent to ruin the reputation of protesters for the environment?!? :pi:

Maybe! What a fine job she’d be doing as well! :p

disneyprincess20
06-03-09, 13:47
^ I'm watching BBC World News right now and Liz Ducet (sp?) said it was pea soup :p

Ha! The BBC can't decide what it was!

IceColdLaraCroft
06-03-09, 15:21

Environment!?

I thought the protesters were angry because they want to demolish homes to make room for a new runway.:confused:

Jack Croft
06-03-09, 15:32
No symphony for him he deserved it.

angelfaithrox
06-03-09, 15:45
I can’t lie, I did laugh. Though it’s annoying getting lumped with these “plain stupid” nuggets when I say I am against the new terminal being built.

Goose
06-03-09, 15:52
Environment!?

I thought the protesters were angry because they want to demolish homes to make room for a new runway.:confused:

A third runway would bring noise and fuel pollution, that's what there on about. But it would mean some people had to move aswell which is a good cause.

Businesses buy homes in that area for alot more then there worth in terms of structure and location, not even including the fact that there under a flight path.

There very undesirable houses, and have been for decades.

Heres there site, with there aims:http://www.planestupid.com/

10 reasons to ground the plane!

Aviation is the fastest growing cause of climate change

Airports cause illegal levels of nitrous oxide pollution

Aviation's contribution to the economy is massively overstated

Aviation expansion is wiping established communities off the map

Aviation is mostly unnecessary

Aviation creates massive noise pollution

Aviation diverts money away from public services

'Cheap' flights are for the privileged

Airport expansion will destroy important heritage sites

Aviation expansion will destroy ancient forests and woodland

IceColdLaraCroft
08-03-09, 01:13
On sept 11, 2001 they noticed there was MORE radiation from the sun because planes produce clouds cutting through the atmosphere.

Planes cause pollution as well (building the airports and everything takes a huge toll on the environment) but without planes as a form of mass transit than everyone on that plane would likely take their own cars (if they're within driving distance and don't need to cross the ocean) which would produce MORE pollution.

Angelus
08-03-09, 01:29
It's not funny. It's ****ing stupid.

"I don't agree with you so I'll throw some green custard in your face." Not the right way to go about it, you silly bint.