PDA

View Full Version : BBC receive almost 250 complaints over "all-black" Eastenders episode.

Dingaling
07-03-09, 00:21
I watched 15 minutes of the episode before heading off to play a game. Was quite enjoying the episode as well - Patrick's story was rather interesting - and do you want to know the funny thing? I never even realised it was an "all-black" episode until it was pointed out :p.

The BBC has received almost 250 complaints over the first episode of EastEnders to feature an all-black cast in its 24-year history.

Last week's episode featured character Patrick Trueman, played by Rudolph Walker, sharing his experiences of being a young black man living in 1950s Britain.

A BBC spokesman said 239 complaints had been received from viewers, with 57 received before it aired and 183 after the broadcast.

"All-black" episode receives 250 complaints. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/mar/02/100-complaints-over-all-black-eastenders)

--------

In other news, the BBC also received complaints over a disabled children's television presenter with parents saying her disability may scare children.

Parents scared of disabled television presenter, children probably not. (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/disabled-presenter-8216scares-children8217-1630325.html)

Rai
07-03-09, 00:30
Oh.My.God. For both stories. What century are we in again?

I haven't seen the Eastenders episode as I have trouble getting BBC, but it looks like it could have been a good one. Interesting to see Patrick Trueman's backstory and educational at the same time.

How on earth can seeing a disabled presenter scare children? All the parents have to do is explain it properly. Ignorance is what it is.

Thanks for sharing. It's surprising but not at the same time just how ignorant the minority in society still can be.

Nefertiti_89
07-03-09, 00:33
Whats peoples problem sometimes honestly!! If you dont like it, change the channel!

And how does a disability scare children? Does he look like the elephant man or something?

Anyway, people need to grow the hell up.

Angelus
07-03-09, 00:34
That's ridiculous. I wonder if black people can complain when EastEnders doesn't feature any black people in an episode?

And I've seen presenter on CBeebies... my little brother is eight and he was a bit weirded out at first, but I explained to him that she was born like that and he's since moved on from it. Also, my little sister (who was two today, by the way :D), watches CBeebies without any problems concerning the presenter's "disability."

Lew
07-03-09, 00:44
good its about time us whites got some balls to stick up for our home country of origin. I think its cause people get annoyed with this country bowing down to other races so we dont look racist to be honest

Tonyrobinson
07-03-09, 00:45
You'd think Britain is afraid of integration the way these articals are presented!

Mad Tony
07-03-09, 00:53
While I don't really think the complaint is rational, it's not like people don't complain when other races aren't represented enough on TV. Put simply, there always seems to be people who will complain about anything.

Immortalis08
07-03-09, 00:54
good its about time us whites got some balls to stick up for our home country of origin. I think its cause people get annoyed with this country bowing down to other races so we dont look racist to be honest

Are you serious? I do not see the big deal in having an all black cast be featured in one episode? There are bigger issues to deal with in the world than to complain about a cast. Its not necessarily bowing down to other races (although in a historical context its been happening to "you white people" for ages) but these articles clearly prove there is still cultural ignorance running amok in this world. Granted one shouldn't have to go to extreme lengths to prove one is open minded especially when it comes to race but "bowing down"? If anything what this world needs is to have more respect for cultures and races because this "bowing" is not evident. And it shouldn't even come to bowing, I sincerely hope there will be a day where the mentality of civilization undergoes a revolution and all races will be on equal footing free of stereotypes and stigmas. Call me a dreamer, but I believe it can be done.

Mad Tony
07-03-09, 00:55
Are you serious? I do not see the big deal in having an all black cast be featured in one episode? There are bigger issues to deal with in the world than to complain about a cast. Its not necessarily bowing down to other races (although in a historical context its been happening to "you white people" for ages) but these articles clearly prove there is still cultural ignorance running amok in this world.He's got a point. Our government go over the top to appease over cultures in this country. The stupid thing is that nobody's even complaining, it's just the government being overly-sensitive.

TRhalloween
07-03-09, 00:56

But a black person could be more British than a white person.

Voni
07-03-09, 00:57
Methinks there are people out there who have WAY too much time on their hands.

I thought the presenter was going to have some Elephant Man style condition, turns out she's missing part of her arm. That's going to give your kids nightmares? Um, get a life. Thanks.

Angelus
07-03-09, 01:01
Methinks there are people out there who have WAY too much time on their hands.

I thought the presenter was going to have some Elephant Man style condition, turns out she's missing part of her arm. That's going to give your kids nightmares? Um, get a life. Thanks.

And the thing is she can perform tasks like any other person, such as painting and drawing - things you would have to do as a children's TV presenter. If people are going to complain about children's programmes, they should complain about Me Too which is on CBeebies. I haven't got a clue where the hell they got the actors from for that.

Immortalis08
07-03-09, 01:02
He's got a point. Our government go over the top to appease over cultures in this country. The stupid thing is that nobody's even complaining, it's just the government being overly-sensitive.

I edited my post. :o Sorry I was still thinking about it. But, while culture and races are still a sensitive topic in many areas of the world I don't think it should be overdone. But I'd rather have appeasement over prejudice any day. But of course that is just my point of view.

Agent 47
07-03-09, 01:02
He's got a point. Our government go over the top to appease over cultures in this country. The stupid thing is that nobody's even complaining, it's just the government being overly-sensitive.

what does the government have to do with this story?

i'm white and seriously take issues with Lews post, i tolerate alot, but that post annoyed me, i don't take kindly to slurs like that.

Mad Tony
07-03-09, 01:05
I edited my post. :o Sorry I was still thinking about it. But, while culture and races are still a sensitive topic in many areas of the world I don't think it should be overdone. But I'd rather have appeasement over prejudice any day. But of course that is just my point of view.Appeasement can sometimes be prejudice though. Appeasement often means minorities get preferential treatment to whites, which is prejudice in itself. Not always, but that is the case sometimes. Personally I think it'd be great if everybody was treated equally, regardless of race. That's not gonna happen though. Things seem to be going from one extreme to another.

what does the government have to do with this story?Nothing. If you hadn't noticed, I was replying to Immortalis' post.

Angelus
07-03-09, 01:07
This isn't about the Government... it's about the public complaining about an episode of EastEnders.

Next you'll be blaming it on the immigrants that are supposedly everywhere...

Mad Tony
07-03-09, 01:09
This isn't about the Government... it's about the public complaining about an episode of EastEnders.

Next you'll be blaming it on the immigrants that are supposedly everywhere...Read my post above. All I was doing was explaining to immortalis that Lew did have a point concerning about how the government bow down to other cultures so we don't look racist. I didn't think I'd get flamed for pointing out the extreme political correctness that's taking place. I even said I believe all people should be treated equally regardless of race.

Oh yeah, I'll definitely be doing that... :rolleyes:

bloodstormaoa
07-03-09, 01:09
what does the government have to do with this story?

i'm white and seriously take issues with Lews post, i tolerate alot, but that post annoyed me, i don't take kindly to slurs like that.

Agreed! I read it and was like :yik:

Agent 47
07-03-09, 01:10

Next you'll be blaming it on the immigrants that are supposedly everywhere...

i don't feel appeased, nor do i take offence that Eastenders had an all black episode. those 250 morons need to be shot

Mad Tony
07-03-09, 01:12
I don't even think appeased is the right word for it. It's just a case of the MPs being overly-sensitive. As far as I know, most of the ethnic minorities in this country are fine with our culture.

Angelus
07-03-09, 01:14
i don't feel appeased, nor do i take offence that Eastenders had an all black episode. those 250 morons need to be shot

I don't feel offended, either. What about sitcoms that feature an all black cast? People don't complain about them but 250 people complain about one episode of a show that features an all black cast. It's idiotic.

I don't know about them needing to be shot, though. :ton:

Agent 47
07-03-09, 01:17
I don't even think appeased is the right word for it. It's just a case of the MPs being overly-sensitive. As far as I know, most of the ethnic minorities in this country are fine with our culture.

like i said, this particular story isn't about the government. i do agree that political correctness has gone mental, but this isn't the thread.

this is about small minded fools who take offence over a simple episode!! wtf indeed

Mad Tony
07-03-09, 01:18
like i said, this particular story isn't about the government. i do agree that political correctness has gone mental, but this isn't the thread.

this is about small minded fools who take offence over a simple episode!! wtf indeedAgain, my post was in reply to somebody else's post, not the thread subject.

Immortalis08
07-03-09, 01:19
Appeasement can sometimes be prejudice though. Appeasement often means minorities get preferential treatment to whites, which is prejudice in itself. Not always, but that is the case sometimes. Personally I think it'd be great if everybody was treated equally, regardless of race. That's not gonna happen though. Things seem to be going from one extreme to another.

Nothing. If you hadn't noticed, I was replying to Immortalis' post.

Got it. Thanks. I failed to think about it in those terms. Lew did have a point it just wasn't said with much tact. (for lack of a better word). As I've stated I doubt it'll happen but that is why I'm a hopeless dreamer.

Anywho, lets get back to discussing the complaints themselves. :)

violentblossom
07-03-09, 01:20

*blinks* um, what?

Angelus
07-03-09, 01:20
You might want to quote them, otherwise it looks like you're just posting randomly. :p

Now it looks like I'm doing just that. :vlol:

Catapharact
07-03-09, 01:25

And the award for idiotic post of the day goes to...

Lew did have a point it just wasn't said with much tact. (for lack of a better word). As I've stated I doubt it'll happen but that is why I'm a hopeless dreamer.

His post didn't even address the problem at all. It went right after the one thing people should not be hounding after and only end up proving the brain deprived PCers right. Ergo if people really want these PCers to stop, learn to to deal with a given situation logically.

Atlantean-Squid
07-03-09, 01:40
Calm down.

Eastenders is watched by MILLIONS of people. 250 complaints is not a big deal. Find something more important to say "oh noes wat is this countree cumming 2!!" about.

violentblossom
07-03-09, 01:42
Calm down.

Eastenders is watched by MILLIONS of people. 250 complaints is not a big deal. Find something more important to say "oh noes wat is this countree cumming 2!!" about.

i think the issue at hand here is people's intolerance in general, and the fact that certain forum members seem to have some less than peachy views on the whole thing.

its really just the principle of the matter. the thought processes behind the actions.

Angelus
07-03-09, 01:43
i think the issue at hand here is people's intolerance in general, and the fact that certain forum members seem to have some less than peachy views on the whole thing.

its really just the principle of the matter. the thought processes behind the actions.

Spot on. :)

Immortalis08
07-03-09, 01:55
And the award for idiotic post of the day goes to...

His post didn't even address the problem at all. It went right after the one thing people should not be hounding after and only end up proving the brain deprived PCers right. Ergo if people really want these PCers to stop, learn to to deal with a given situation logically.

It may not have addressed the problem, but nonetheless it addresses another issue concerning international cultural relations (which to be frank I don't consider a bad thing if they are overly appeased). However, whether the theme he addressed was intentional or not he did at least prove another issue; People still believe that they have a right to cultural superiority. Although the reason I quoted his post was because I found it baffling and insulting.

Atlantisfreak666
07-03-09, 01:56
Both stories are equally forked up...
I'm especially saddened by the second story.
:(

Catapharact
07-03-09, 02:03
It may not have addressed the problem, but nonetheless it addresses another issue (which to be frank I don't consider a bad thing). However, whether the theme he addressed was intentional or not he did at least prove another issue; People still believe that they have cultural superiority. Although the reason I quoted his post was because I found it baffling and insulting.

The cutural segrigational prospect obviously is a touchy issue and that IMO is a seperate given theme from the current topic at hand but yes I do believe that with a diverse population as that of Britain, there has to be level ground of treatment when it comes to the population in general.

However, you cannot achieve this by throwing in blatent statements as the one given by Lew and expect the population to not react kindly. Nor can you expect barriers of communication like Political Correctness to go away if people choose to attack given people and not the problem at hand.

This is something which IMO this particular forum has had trouble grasping and this is why we end up with arguments which really aren't helpful or go anywhere.

Goose
07-03-09, 07:57
BBC is government run, which is why there are no advertisements for products between programs, so programming is under government scrutiny.

Secondly the majority of complaints weren't about black people having the lead roles, as this has been happening since the 80's, it was the storyline being bought up, they bought up race relations from the 1950's without comparing it to modern day Britain, in fact one of the only lines to deal with that was from Chelsea who said 'nothings changed, its still happening today, just not as obvious'. It was comments like that which people found offensive, and the fact that the episode dug up a passed but didn't end the episode with a truly modern perspectives conclusion.

EastEnders doesn't have the class of writers to make social statements on today's racism issues, in the 1950's it was certainly whites against black people, but today its nowhere near as simple.

Spong
07-03-09, 08:15
^^At least someone seems to have got hold of the proper reason as to why the 250 people complained. Everyone else in this thread seems to be under the illusion that the complaints were made purely because the episode contained an all-black cast.

As for the second story, I'm sorry, but I can see where people are coming from with that. I find disabled people uncomfortable to be around. I'm not saying it to cast any kind of judgement on them or suggest that they're less of a person than I am, I'm just being brutally honest.

Goose
07-03-09, 08:19
^^At least someone seems to have got hold of the proper reason as to why the 250 people complained. Everyone else in this thread seems to be under the illusion that the complaints were made purely because the episode contained an all-black cast.

Certainly, Patrick Truman is one of the most popular characters, and has more or less had episodes devoted to him before, without causing any problems.

I dont see a problem with a disabled person hosting a tv show, but think about it, how many times have you seen parents telling children to "stop staring" at people with a disability, they find it odd, and i suppose in some cases scary, because they don't understand it.

Nannonxyay
07-03-09, 09:17
I really don't see a problem with having an episode with just black people in it. People watch shows like Everybody Hate's Chris, where the majority of people in it are black, and don't complain. It's pathetic really. Oh, and I'm deciding not to address Lew's post because I can't be bothered to try and argue with a narrow minded statement.

About the disabled presenter, my nephews watch Cbeebies and they never complain about the woman. One of them asked why she didn't have an arm so I told him it was because that's just how she is, just like how he has blue eyes or how his mum has brown hair etc.

Goose
07-03-09, 09:38
I really don't see a problem with having an episode with just black people in it. People watch shows like Everybody Hate's Chris, where the majority of people in it are black, and don't complain. It's pathetic really. Oh, and I'm deciding not to address Lew's post because I can't be bothered to try and argue with a narrow minded statement.

Again, only 50 odd complaints were about it being a black cast, the rest were about the subject matter, not the fact it was an all black focused episode, newspapers liked the headline 250 against black episode though.

Heres some reactions from soap reviewers, who are black themselves, which will explain why people hated this episode:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/feb/25/eastenders-black-tv-review

While I admire the intention, you can't just ignore race for 23 years then try to cram everything you know into 30 minutes. Last night we had the Notting Hill riots, steel pans, carnival, Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks. I half expected Patrick to mention how he walked off Windrush with his brother Trevor McDonald and how thrilled he is his grandson Lewis Hamilton is doing so well. It gave the disconcerting impression that when they are on their own black families just sit around talking about race. Race should be a subtle part of the characters. This was all a little too neat, and yet clumsy at the same time.

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/tv/galleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=6092850

Focussing entirely on characters Patrick Trueman, Denise Wicks, her daughters Chelsea and Libby and Denise's fiancÚ Lucas, Patrick was depicted reminiscing to them about London in the 1950s after his arrival from the West Indies. Albert Square's new 'mysterious' guy Theo Kelly (played by Rolan Bell) appears to have dug up something murky in the old man's past and the upshot of all this was a noteworthy 30 minutes. Or at least, that was the intention. The reality, as far as I'm concerned, was an awkward attempt to pack fifty years of recent black history into a half-hour soap. We had the 1958 Notting Hill riots, American civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr, civil rights protestor Rosa Parks, the language of the time (coloureds, negroes, Keep Britain White, reefers, Teddy Boys etc.)...the only thing missing was the kitchen sink. I wouldn't have minded all that if the writers had been adept enough to make the episode feel more like a slice of life for characters who just happen to be black, and less like a didactic chronicle of race relations.

The problem is how they handled the delicate issue, which was poorly, and it didnt have much todo with helping race relations today, just focused on how bad things from 50 years ago were, which isnt really a current issue which needs to be covered.

LaraCroftRox
07-03-09, 10:14
Oh my god. What does it even matter what skin color they have anyway? :mad: I'm so sick of this...

Goose
07-03-09, 10:20
Oh my god. What does it even matter what skin color they have anyway? :mad: I'm so sick of this...

Opps, i forgot i had my comments on invisible mode.....

LaraCroftRox
07-03-09, 10:23
Opps, i forgot i had my comments on invisible mode.....

So sorry, I only read the first 3 pages. :o
Yeah, I see why they would've complained now...

Goose
07-03-09, 10:29
So sorry, I only read the first 3 pages. :o
Yeah, I see why they would've complained now...

lol i was only joking.

See Eastenders and the other soaps deal with serious issues and social issues. They need to have a foundation of information and also a conclusion which is a good model for watchers to follow. In this they failed on the Patrick episode.

laralover_07
07-03-09, 12:06
*sigh*

Just the sort of public response I would expect these days.

What I'd like to know is if they were complaining about the story also. If not, their complaints are just racist. For a story where a black man is telling his black family about his experience as a black man, you're not going to have any white actors.

Also, about the disabled Cbeebies presenter, I feel its great to have someone with a disability presenting. It influences young children and teaches them that everyone is different, and hopefully preventing them from glaring later in childhood.

May I point that very few people, if any, complained when a children's TV show was presented by a former basketballer Ade Adepitan. He was black and in a wheelchair...

http://dev-assets.sportrelief.com/images/photos/ade.jpg

Goose
07-03-09, 12:31
*sigh*

Just the sort of public response I would expect these days.

What I'd like to know is if they were complaining about the story also. If not, their complaints are just racist.

What do you mean?

The story WAS the complaint, if you read the BBC website, there going to avoid stating that (its a BBC show), but if you followed the links on Soap reviews from Black reviewers i gave, you'd see there is a very valid point to theirs, and others complaints.

I dont think it dealt with anything at all in that episode, and certainly did nothing to help race relations.

corey01
08-03-09, 14:46
ohhh god, i serously think some people sit at home loking for the most ridicuous thing to complain about, if i worked for the BBC id send them all individual letters saying....."get a life"

*laralover*
08-03-09, 15:48
This is ridiculous really :rolleyes:

woody543
08-03-09, 15:49
Thats ridiculous, especially the second story, do parents want their children to grow up and become intollerent of disabled people.

What do they do if they see a disabled person in the street "cover their eyes" its ridiculous

Larapink
08-03-09, 18:49
This is silly, the complaints are.

Biddy
08-03-09, 19:02
Those 250 people obviously have a lot of time on their hands. Jesus, join a club.