PDA

View Full Version : Bring back slower moving Lara

paulwork
07-03-09, 13:54
I have just been re-playing a bit of TR4 with a slower moving Lara. Yes - we all know Lara is like greased lightning in everything she does in TRU, but this has several implications for our optical enjoyment and gameplay:

Side-flipping while shooting
The slower old school Lara could pack around 4-5 pistol shoots mid-air in a single side-flip. The new school Lara barely manages 1 mid-air pistol shoot before her feet touch the ground, and your eyes barely have time to recognize what just happened. The slower Lara is somehow more fun to watch outwitting her opponents with her graceful shooting/bullet dodging acrobatics.

Swan Diving
Many people complained about this in TRU anyway. The fact is, it looks much more elegant and graceful on a slower Lara, than a faster Lara.

Picking up artifacts and objects
Again, your eyes have time to recognize what is happening with a slower Lara. With a faster Lara, she's bent down and stood up again before you know it.

Horizontal pole swinging
I really must admit that Lara can do some pretty cool pole swinging gymnastics and reverse directions in TRU. Problem is, she's too fast for your eyes to appreciate what she is doing. If she was just more like classic slower Lara we'd be able to have much more fun when controlling her.

Jumping vertically and horizontally
Again, just like the swan dive of slower Lara, vertical and especially horizontal jumping Lara is just so much more fun and elegant when done at a slower pace. Faster Lara hits the ground before you know it, as if she was as blunt and coarse as a sack of potatoes - absolutely no style or decorum about the poor girl. I absolutely love doing the longer and slower Lara horizontal jumps, taking in the passing scenery as she leaves behind in the distance her enemies who can't cover as much ground as she can. On a slower Lara, I'd find myself saying "So long - suckers. You can't get me" as I out-jumped a bunch of tigers/mercs etc...

Falling down (often to a bone-crunching demise)
Sure us fans are sadists when it comes to the plight of poor Lara, but there is something satisfying and graceful about a slower Lara - even in death. Plummeting from the heights of TRU's jan mayen island's column would have been much more spectacular if you had the time to enjoy the view of the scenery as it whizzes before your eyes.

Miscellaneous mid-air moves
For TRU there were whispers that we would get back the "twist in mid-air" jump. Although we didn't get it this time round, if it does make a come-back, I really hope our eyes have time to appreciate this great move.

I would love them to really make the next TR game with a slower Lara. Adrenalin moments just don't cut it for me. I don't want blurry screens, and only a few rare opportunities to see it. Her slower more graceful moves should be sewn into the fabric of the game.

violentblossom
07-03-09, 13:57
i understand and appreciate how you feel, but i'm fine with this new Lara.

everyone's complaining about everything these days (Ithis isn't aimed at you, really, you have some good points) and its kinda sad, really, that no one's liking the new Tomb Raiders.

Nausinous
07-03-09, 14:06
I hate the new animations, Lara looked as if she was on steriods or E in Tomb Raider Underworld, I hope that they change this otherwise I will really be boycotting the next Tomb Raider. Slower movements indeed :tmb:

Zebra
07-03-09, 14:11
I kind of agree. But I think that it's not really the slower movement but actually the slower response. Look at the new PoP the moves are fast. But the controls are slow. And it feels great. It feels as if you're controlling an actual human with an actual weight. Unlike the feeling you have when controlling Lara in CD's TR games.

So I think it would be great if they could get this sense of weight back into TR (and I really hope that they'll totally rework their whole control system for TR9).

AshesBorn
07-03-09, 14:12
I will really be boycotting the next Tomb Raider

You know you won't.

----------
Slowed down movements look unrealistic, falling down slowly will make Lara seem weightless. But I agree that the swan-dive needs to be slowed down a little bit, as well as drawing the weapons (two frames are not enough).

sandygrimm
07-03-09, 14:16
Swan Diving
Many people complained about this in TRU anyway. The fact is, it looks much more elegant and graceful on a slower Lara, than a faster Lara.

Falling down (often to a bone-crunching demise)
Sure us fans are sadists when it comes to the plight of poor Lara, but there is something satisfying and graceful about a slower Lara - even in death. Plummeting from the heights of TRU's jan mayen island's column would have been much more spectacular if you had the time to enjoy the view of the scenery as it whizzes before your eyes.

To these I say they did a good job with gravity... We wanted the game to be more realistic... gravity is too than :D

paulwork
07-03-09, 14:17
You know you won't.

----------
Slowed down movements look unrealistic, falling down slowly will make Lara seem weightless. But I agree that the swan-dive needs to be slowed down a little bit, as well as drawing the weapons (two frames are not enough).

Erm. Since when was jumping clean over the head of a raptor or battling a T-Rex, or jumping through a vortex/stargate time travel device after seeing your dead zombie mother :cln:realistic? TR is a fantasy game - anything can happen. The laws of physics, space and time don't apply as in the real world.

AshesBorn
07-03-09, 14:28
paulwork
What happens around Lara and her movements are not the same thing. Even it this 'fantasy world' Lara is a human being, and should move like one...

...gravity
Exactly.

P.S. Before TRU was released almost everyone on this forum asked for a realistic game. So enjoy...

larafan25
07-03-09, 14:32
the thing is the animations are way to fast which make them look buggy,and I hate it I can't stand playing the game with Lara like that.

there was absuloutly nothing worng with her animations in anniversary so they should use the anniversary styled animations for tomb raider 9:)

paulwork
07-03-09, 14:41
Hmmm. Maybe I'm the only one then. I've never particularly wanted a more realistic game, and I'm not so convinced about the realism needing to belong in TR to such an extent.

For Lara to be a person of ordinary flesh and blood, she would not be the proverbial "cat with nine lives" she has been, to have survived so many TR games with not so much as a scratch on her.

Either she is really lucky, or realistically she would have been dead long ago. Putting the fantasy aspect asides, the human body just can't take that kind of punishment. I doubt we'd want to see a bashed-up mentally stressed and worn out Lara, hence her slightly super human abilities, and the fact that a small medipack can cure gunshots to her skull.

tha_mattster
07-03-09, 15:15
the thing is the animations are way to fast which make them look buggy,and I hate it I can't stand playing the game with Lara like that.

Other way around :) They look too fast cos they ARE buggy. Many of the animations only have about 5 frames!!!!

Melonie Tomb Raider
07-03-09, 15:17
I miss classic Lara. :(

larson n natla
07-03-09, 15:20
I completely agree about old lara and how she seemed more elegant and graceful, Tru's animations were awful for jumping, its just not humanly possible to jump like a squirrel and up walls unlike laras old jumps were she would do a standard jump (which was studied by core) and then grab to make a ledge :) It would benefit the series to go back to its roots I think :D

Drone
07-03-09, 15:33
classic moves ftw ... what more can I say

Afonya
07-03-09, 15:35
Well I liked TRU and I was so excited that Lara could sprint again, felt little bit more familiar game because of that. But I agree with you, old controls were better. But I don't want Lara to be "slower", only same controls to these new TR games. It would (allmost) bring that original TR feeling back :)

(And only to specify, I like TRU and Anniversary, but not in same way than original games.)

Wana b like Lara
07-03-09, 16:00
Are You CRAZY? :D Nahh ...

Rai
07-03-09, 16:13
As a whole I like the way Lara moves now. Very fluent in her basic movements. But, I'd also agree that in her swan dive and acrobatics, then yeah they are too fast, sometimes being hard to distinguish. These may only be in for fun, but it would be nice to be able to see how elegantly Lara moves as she performs a dive, tumble or pole swing.

I liked how they were in TRA. For TRU, blink and you miss them. :p

Bladerj
07-03-09, 16:34
Not want slower lara, me wants a better animated lara.

Shark_Blade
07-03-09, 16:50
Damn this abominable double post.

Shark_Blade
07-03-09, 16:52
Agree with you paul. :tmb:

CD really needs to make things slower to let the players see and appreciate how graceful Lara's movements really are. I really miss the swan dive like in the classics and TRL/TRA; in TRU it was so quick - I don't really see the point of it's addition.

I sometimes swan dive in the tomb floor/pool just to enjoy the atmosphere in the game but not much anymore with the recent outing. :pi:

ShadyCroft
07-03-09, 17:07
I just want her to be tough and standing while on her 2 feet...not a slight movement of the mouse and she'd go swinging around and off a ledge.

thevman
07-03-09, 17:30
The old handstand from hanging from a ledge was sooooooooo sexy and slow. I used to do it all the time just to enjoy the animation. Same with the swan dive. I miss the old sideways somersaults while shooting too.

tranniversary119
07-03-09, 17:56
Slower moving Lara? Come on now! Tank Raider days are over with. Maybe you haven't noticed but I highly doubt slower games will go well with today's gaming community. It just won't happen and I'm perfectly fine with how fast she moves now :wve:

thevman
07-03-09, 20:27
Oh, right, everything is a racing game now. No time to think or figure things out, just rush, rush... :rolleyes:

da tomb raider!
07-03-09, 22:45
I'm all for a slower-moving Lara. The new Lara moves like a monkey on speed.

ThatNorskChick
07-03-09, 22:53
Yeah, please slow her down, I really can't stand how fast she is now. All of her once elegant moves are now hideous to watch. I throw up every time I see that swan dive.

tarcairion
07-03-09, 23:01
if you look at the traversal video of "Lara's Shadow" everything seems to be going in just the other direction.
Lara's already high movement speed from TRU is again magnified in the Doppelganger.
i wonder if people like this "fast-gaming" at all ?

silver_wolf
07-03-09, 23:21
I don't think Lara moves too fast, she's just too sensitive. If you move her even slightly she'll go lunging in one direction.

Lord Dagger
07-03-09, 23:43
I miss all classical moves. They were more about strategy and had NO AUTO GRABBING.

Evan C.
08-03-09, 02:37
Absolutely.

MMAN
08-03-09, 04:16
I'm not sure whether I care or not; the Mirror's Edge controls, which are my favorite current platforming controls and the most immersive too (as well as feeling closest to the original TR controls) are quite fast, on the other hand it requires effort to go so fast and the slowest animations are definitely slower than what the current TR games have, plus certain things are just generally very slow (shimmying, although you only have to do it about twice in the game). On the other hand, pointlessly slow animations annoy me, and, by extension, I don't mind when custom TR levels speed up shimmying and crawling at all. So I'm not sure, I guess it's kind of a mix, I think I have more problems with the somewhat weightless feeling that the inconsistent jumping brings than the speed.

Dennis's Mom
09-03-09, 14:01
I do think the tumbling runs should be slowed down. I honestly don't do the swan dive enough to care. It's a lot harder to do know since they move the buttons from X-[] to X-O. Miss that old thumb rock. :P

What I really like about the new animations is how responsive they are. I *hate* waiting on animations to complete before a character will accept a new command. Waiting on Lara to "set" before she would pull up in Anniversary, for example, drove me batty. If I say pull up, pull up! (And this should happen with up on the analog stick. I shouldn't have to press a button. :D)

Tear
09-03-09, 14:29
I don't want slow-moving Lara from TR4, but I do wish that Lara's animations she does in Underworld would be slowed down A LOT.

jjbennett
09-03-09, 14:35
^ Excatly, she's more skittish cat that athletic adventurer at the moment.

gremlinta
09-03-09, 15:49
I disagree. I like Lara being quick and agile like a gymnast.

I think one of the reasons Lara's movements were slower in the older games was due to the technology of the day. Systems today (PCs & Consoles) are much more powerful as are the computers used to develop today's games.

amiro1989
09-03-09, 15:52
Huh, no. No need to bring slow Lara anymore. She can stay where she is right now. Meaning, not in the game.

I agree that the new Lara moves a bit like a monkey, but they should just tone down her ability to move to fast, otherwise, she's correct.

Altair
09-03-09, 22:22
I am with you on a few points. Fluid movements are great, but I would like to be able to side-flip whilst shooting again or reverse-roll.

gtkilla
09-03-09, 22:47
I think some slower animations are needed, but Lara herself shouldn't be any slower.

Blackmoor
12-03-09, 21:31
I used to like the slow pace of the old games. It added something. A feeling of genuine exertion and effort needed to move about and overcome obstacles. Somehow it placed "me" into the game more.

And for the same reason, I liked having to press X to pull Lara up over walls and press X to hold onto ledges. It felt like I was actually involved in the effort of pulling up and holding on - in some real way. It aided my immersion in the game.

Running around these days is smooth and easy, yes definitely... but it's like cruise control. I am removed, sat back, watching from a far as a cartoon character moves around a safe made-up pretty world. I'm no longer immersed, clinging onto that ledge for dear life in case I fall and break my neck...

da tomb raider!
12-03-09, 22:10
I used to like the slow pace of the old games. It added something. A feeling of genuine exertion and effort needed to move about and overcome obstacles. Somehow it placed "me" into the game more.

And for the same reason, I liked having to press X to pull Lara up over walls and press X to hold onto ledges. It felt like I was actually involved in the effort of pulling up and holding on - in some real way. It aided my immersion in the game.

Running around these days is smooth and easy, yes definitely... but it's like cruise control. I am removed, sat back, watching from a far as a cartoon character moves around a safe made-up pretty world. I'm no longer immersed, clinging onto that ledge for dear life in case I fall and break my neck...

Well said. :tmb:

AmericanAssassin
13-03-09, 01:54
I think some slower animations are needed, but Lara herself shouldn't be any slower.

Exactly. :tmb: I love the classics more than the newer games, but I love the newer games controls (excluding the horrendous camera). ;)