PDA

View Full Version : Would you be prepared for a realistic "grow" of a character ?

KIKO
07-03-09, 17:19
I mean this is what Angel of Darkness was trying to but failed because it wasn't applied correctly and on PS2 it would be technically impossible but on PS3 who knows or maybe not.

Imagine you have a character. Let's pick Lara for example.
But don't imagine her now as that character who is able to do anything and is her at max. Imagine her as a normal character that you play around.
The realistc grow of this character would be.
The more you play with Lara, the more you jump, the more you shoot the more you will be prepared right ? And what if the more you jump the more she will be prepared too ?

Jumps could get longer but not when "I feel stronger now" but after many jumps like 50/100. Etc but you wouldn't gain strenght by jumping on the floor 100 times before advancing on the level but by jumping programmed gaps that would be registred in the game.
E.g.
You jump from A to B it register the jump.
You jump from B to A but it doesn't because you already reached the goal that was to reach the other side once.
You jump from B to C it register the jump.

It looks complicated but that's the grow of the character.
The more you do the more trained your character will be, the more stronger he'll became.
The less you do and make the stuff easy the more untrained he will be, the more weaker will he stay.

Practice makes perfection right ?

And not only on jumps but also pushing/pulling stuff. Grabing, swimming, time of breath, cold, etc...

DEFINITLY NOT ON TOMB RAIDER but on some new game perhaps. Would you like to see this ? Do you think it would work ? :)

Aphrodite22
07-03-09, 18:20
sounds like an rpg .. nah i wouldnt like it

Reggie
07-03-09, 20:10
MGS2 had this by using pullups to strengthen Raiden's grip meter. Not sure if it was even necessary to do this to proceed further though. I think it was just an optional thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented in a small but successful way.

Rivendell
07-03-09, 20:22
Play an Elder Scrolls game. That's pretty much what they do.

ECB
08-03-09, 02:19
Meh not really into that idea.

Didn't San Andreas kind of have this?

irjudd
08-03-09, 02:37
Nah, unless it's a full blown RPG, it would just be a gimmick.

spikejones
08-03-09, 03:10
I mean this is what Angel of Darkness was trying to but failed because it wasn't applied correctly and on PS2 it would be technically impossible but on PS3 who knows or maybe not.

Imagine you have a character. Let's pick Lara for example.
But don't imagine her now as that character who is able to do anything and is her at max. Imagine her as a normal character that you play around.
The realistc grow of this character would be.
The more you play with Lara, the more you jump, the more you shoot the more you will be prepared right ? And what if the more you jump the more she will be prepared too ?

Jumps could get longer but not when "I feel stronger now" but after many jumps like 50/100. Etc but you wouldn't gain strenght by jumping on the floor 100 times before advancing on the level but by jumping programmed gaps that would be registred in the game.
E.g.
You jump from A to B it register the jump.
You jump from B to A but it doesn't because you already reached the goal that was to reach the other side once.
You jump from B to C it register the jump.

It looks complicated but that's the grow of the character.
The more you do the more trained your character will be, the more stronger he'll became.
The less you do and make the stuff easy the more untrained he will be, the more weaker will he stay.

Practice makes perfection right ?

And not only on jumps but also pushing/pulling stuff. Grabing, swimming, time of breath, cold, etc...

DEFINITLY NOT ON TOMB RAIDER but on some new game perhaps. Would you like to see this ? Do you think it would work ? :)
that sounds to me like EXACTLY how AOD was. more realistic and preferable would be to do it the way you said NOT to do it. But then again... that "growth of the character" implementation in AOD was all a part of the puzzles ;)

check out Morrowwind and how the character gains more experience in hitting targets or jump height, speed, strength etc.. each time you use that skill.

Catapharact
08-03-09, 04:32
Its not a new concept. There have been quite a few action/adventure games that actualy do allow you to gain certain experience points along the way in different given abilities. The more you use these abilities the more your character starts to gain strength in those given areas.

Play Advent rising. If you so happen to use one given ability more so then others (say, you use melee combat more then your weapons, or you use certain powers more so over others) those given abilities will evolve over time becomming more powerful and precise.

Spong
08-03-09, 05:43
I'm with spikejones. What you described KIKO sounded exactly like what AoD gave us. Kick a certain door in and Lara grows stronger, jump a certain jump and you can jump further. Same difference.

Unless it's an RPG where the emphasis is firmly on character development, I don't think this particular aspect would be well received in other videogames. A similar system was implemented in GTA San Andreas and it was utterly pointless and most people hated it. In my mind it'd slow a game's pace down.