PDA

View Full Version : My Coursework: The Internet, TRF and Me

Reggie
08-03-09, 12:10
Deleted for privacy reasons. ;)

Any thoughts? feedback? :)

Catapharact
08-03-09, 12:18
Good stuff but just to clarify one point; The internet overall isn't an effective means of communication. During a personal interaction, most of the communication that happens between two people is non-verbal and is instantly detected upon instincts. It could range anywhere from nervousness to posture positions, to eye contact, etc. etc.

The internet communication just works upon a medium of preception and communities form under those preceptions. However, call it an effective community isn't exactly viable since there isn't effective communication going on.

Reggie
08-03-09, 12:28
Good stuff but just to clarify one point; The internet overall isn't an effective means of communication. During a personal interaction, most of the communication that happens between two people is non-verbal and is instantly detected upon instincts. It could range anywhere from nervousness to posture positions, to eye contact, etc. etc.

Thanks Cat and that's a good point, I should expand on that when I mention about the various communication barriers. I should know better really since I actually gave a presentation on non verbal communication myself!

The internet communication just works upon a medium of preception and communities form under those preceptions. However, call it an effective community isn't exactly viable since there isn't effective communication going on.So you're making a direct link between the quality of a community with the quality of communication that takes place. That makes sense, the whole basis of human evolution has been based on how effectively we communicate. The transition from mere grunts and base gestures to elaborate speech and a hugely diverse range of NVC has enabled us to run vast civilisations. Take away our ability to communicate in the advanced way we do and none of what we currently have is possible, it would be so different! Anyway, I digress, I think that because our communication is merely limited it makes the effectiveness of the community limited. I would say that the limitations aren't strong enough to make TRF a totally ineffective place to communicate, just a more difficult place to communicate. I'm sure a real world version of TRF would have its own set of communication problems as well. It would be very noisy for a start! :D

Catapharact
08-03-09, 12:46
So you're making a direct link between the quality of a community with the quality of communication that takes place. That makes sense, the whole basis of human evolution has been based on how effectively we communicate. The transition from mere grunts and base gestures to elaborate speech and a hugely diverse range of NVC has enabled us to run vast civilisations. Take away our ability to communicate in the advanced way we do and none of what we currently have is possible, it would be so different!

Congrats! You have just discovered the key stone that hold up the structures of Anthropological, Archeological, and Historical studies ;).

Anyway, I digress, I think that because our communication is merely limited it makes the effectiveness of the community limited. I would say that the limitations aren't strong enough to make TRF a totally ineffective place to communicate, just a more difficult place to communicate. I'm sure a real world version of TRF would have its own set of communication problems as well. It would be very noisy for a start! :D

Well not to say that this is is a total sham of a community would be ludicrious. Obviously its a well projected well functioning community, but like all beaurucratic system system of governce, there has to some point at time where face to face communication is needed or else there will always be that sense of detachement.

Corporations focus so much time and effort to make sure that there is little to no barrier of communication throughout their networks. That means there is little to no "grapevine" communication and that any issues be directly brought up ahead to the heads and that there is that sense of affirmation without detachment (i.e. physical gestures of approval.)

TRF is a well fuctioning beaurucratic system but it still has its obvious drawbacks.

mizuno_suisei
08-03-09, 14:26
Wow, very well written! I hope you get a good grade for it :tmb:

rickybazire
08-03-09, 16:33
Wow...

Quite an interesting read to be honest :D

Reggie
08-03-09, 19:20
Congrats! You have just discovered the key stone that hold up the structures of Anthropological, Archeological, and Historical studies ;).

Well not to say that this is is a total sham of a community would be ludicrious. Obviously its a well projected well functioning community, but like all beaurucratic system system of governce, there has to some point at time where face to face communication is needed or else there will always be that sense of detachement.

Corporations focus so much time and effort to make sure that there is little to no barrier of communication throughout their networks. That means there is little to no "grapevine" communication and that any issues be directly brought up ahead to the heads and that there is that sense of affirmation without detachment (i.e. physical gestures of approval.)

TRF is a well fuctioning beaurucratic system but it still has its obvious drawbacks.

It seems so! I know myself of how communication can fail here sometimes. Someone might post one thing and others jump on it with a totally different interpreatation or another thread may get 0 responses because it got buried too quickly. Just some examples.

Wow, very well written! I hope you get a good grade for it :tmb:

Wow...

Quite an interesting read to be honest :D

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the compliments. :)

rowanlim
09-03-09, 10:53
*Sings: Killing me softly with his song, telling my life with his words...

:D

Good piece, I like it, especially this part:

This reflects how quickly the internet can change and how it upholds a culture that supports change and thus becomes a symbol for change.

If "absorbed" the right way, our interactions on TRF can change us for the better, make us more perceptive/cautious since we know that internet communication, as Cat put it, isn't always effective. I liked how you described TRF as dynamic & not as narrow-minded as many people would think of a fan-based forum for a female video game character. Not to mention the online friendships one can have & the cultural exchange that, albeit sometimes at a minimal rate, can enrich our lives ;)