PDA

View Full Version : Television question

jjbennett
08-03-09, 22:38
I recently got myself a new LG TV so i could use the ps3 in all its HD glory. Suffice to say, its excellent - lovely colours and contrast etc

One problem.
Theres no headphone socket :hea:

The models above and below my size have them but this one doesn't, no idea why. Is there anyway to use headphones without a dedicated socket at all? Im using the HDMI port so im assuming i can't also use a component cable for audio only can i (is it possible to have HDMI visual and standard audio? :confused:)

Anyone got any suggestions? My midnight gaming sessions are in ruins! :o

jjbennett
08-03-09, 23:01
Yeah thats one option spike, i had considered the speakers route (some with a headphone port on the front) only it's cost.

Can you use the three scart componet ports for JUST audio?

Punaxe
08-03-09, 23:03
You can get audio from a SCART output, using one of these:

http://www.itsacon.net/articles/vidcon/images/SCART.jpg

jjbennett
08-03-09, 23:05
Yeah, my TV has the female connectors on the back like so ^, the question was can i use JUST the red/white socked to connect headphones into but still run the TVs visual through the HDMI port or will the two signals confuse the TV?

Punaxe
08-03-09, 23:12
I don't think there'll be a problem. I've got my coax cable delivering video, and use one of those to steer the audio to my hifi. That seems to be the exact same situation, except you use HDMI instead of coax... Don't think that makes a difference.

jjbennett
08-03-09, 23:25
Excellent. The speakers in the telly are more than good enough so the option of buying something else seems expensive. Now to find a component to 1.5mm(i think :p) headphones back.

Cheers guys.

Punaxe
08-03-09, 23:29
1.5mm? You mean 3.5? In that case, you need one of these:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/wh3ng/CC399FM_LR.jpg

jjbennett
08-03-09, 23:35
^ I take it thats a standard headphone jack on the end then? Where abouts is that from if it is please?

Punaxe
08-03-09, 23:42
That's the standard jack these days yeah, there's also bigger ones which tend to be used by bigger headphones :p In this picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Photo-audiojacks.jpg), your headphones will either have the utmost right or the one next to that. If you have the utmost right one, you'll probably need another adapter (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-cmfU9MGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg) because I've never seen a version going from those two small ones to that...

Where to get it? I don't know, general audio/cable store should have it.

spikejones
08-03-09, 23:51
yeah.. if your TV has component out you can use that component to 3.5 mm stereo Y adapter pictured. (I prefer large audio setups to go with an HD screen, otherwise it seems a waste :vlol:)

In addition, I think what you were asking is:
"can I use the component cables to send only the video to the TV, and send the Audio to a different device?"

the answer to that is yes. you can.

If you want, you can use the YELLOW RCA cable to send video to the TV, and you can use the RED and WHITE RCA cable to send audio to another device. However, you can't simply go from PS3 to Headphone. It won't work well that way. You need an amplifier to make the sound louder. That's why you can use the RED/WHITE RCA to 3.5 mm stereo Y adapter to send sound from the TV audio output to the headphones. Mind that you need to make sure the following:

A) the TV speakers are OFF when you route through an external audio device
B) TV line out volume is not "fixed" - meaning you need to be able to control the volume being output from the TV by using the remote control.

Punaxe
08-03-09, 23:55
Oh wait, I thought the TV already had video+audio, and the SCART thingie was going to be used to get the audio from the TV to the headphones?

spikejones
09-03-09, 00:03
nah... reading back I see he wanted to use the HDMI from the PS3 to the TV, in addition to using the RCA from the PS3 to (something). I doubt it works that way.

But your solution of using the RCA Y adapter - connected to the TV - is a valid (albeit slightly inconvenient) one.

spikejones
09-03-09, 00:05
you're looking at it backwards. you don't need to touch any settings on the PS3. you need to change some settings on the TV.

namely what I mentioned here:
Mind that you need to make sure the following:

A) the TV speakers are OFF when you route through an external audio device
B) TV line out volume is not "fixed" - meaning you need to be able to control the volume being output from the TV by using the remote control.

Punaxe
09-03-09, 00:05
The TV already has two of those RCA plugs? If you want to connect your headphones to those, make sure they're output, and not input.

jjbennett
09-03-09, 00:14
^ Yup, it has the three of them (red, white & yellow all output) and then two scart connectors and two HDMI ports.

@ spike - I get you now, the TV will put the audio into the headphones and not the ps3 (*slaps face*) so i can leave the audio signal as HDMI but use the output RCA ports to use the headphones.
The options menu allows you to manage audio devices so you can mute the tv speakers and put all audio through the RCA ports.

I've ordered a cable so we'll see :p

Punaxe
09-03-09, 00:16
Those three RCA jacks on your TV are probably input, while you need output if you want to connect your headphones, so those (probably) won't work. You'll still need this thing (http://www.itsacon.net/articles/vidcon/images/SCART.jpg) to turn one SCART port into output, and connect the RCA thingie from there.

Neteru
09-03-09, 00:17
No product linking please.

A whole load of confusion for a simple question and a simple answer.

You cannot use the RCA to 3.5 to headphones. That's not how it works.

Anyway, simple red/white RCA to red/white RCA on your amp and plug headphones in amp whilst turning the TV speakers off.

jjbennett
09-03-09, 00:19
Right, it does say "output" above them though.

Hmm, this is looking expensive.

Neteru
09-03-09, 00:21
No, it's not. Hell if you want a pair of RCA cables, PM me an address and I'll send you a pair. I've got them coming out of my arse.

jjbennett
09-03-09, 00:24
Its expensive as i don't have an amp mate :o

spikejones
09-03-09, 00:25
Right, it does say "output" above them though.

Hmm, this is looking expensive.
whats the exact model of your TV? or can you post a decent quality pic of all interfaces - with the words/symbols visibile.

there should be at least one audio only output for RCA cables - unless it uses Optical.

Neteru
09-03-09, 00:28
Its expensive as i don't have an amp mate :oOh, I see. And no stereo with RCA inputs? Um, actually, that's not likely for a system that isn't separates.

Punaxe
09-03-09, 00:31
(...) You cannot use the RCA to 3.5 to headphones. That's not how it works. (...)
Oh yeah, you may be right actually... I have my TV connected like that, but that's going to an amplifier. You probably won't be hearing much if you put headphones directly on it. :(

How about a cheap set of PC speakers (with amp built in) that have a headphones plug?

Oh, I see. And no stereo with RCA inputs? Um, actually, that's not likely for a system that isn't separates.

I think most simple radios have one AUX input...

Neteru
09-03-09, 00:33
^You won't hear a thing. It's a different signal altogether.

jjbennett
09-03-09, 00:33
Its a LG32LG3000 if that helps.

My mistake as well, the RCA are "input" - i read the wrong bit leaning around the cabinet.

Heres the back panel (pictures huge)
http://************/view.php?pic=2i6knsk&s=5

Can i just clarify i have NO IDEA about these things, i think its apparent though....

spikejones
09-03-09, 00:38
well what I was getting at is the fact there are two different ways you can connect a TV to an external audio device:

A) fixed volume - this means the sound does not get controlled by the televisions own amplifier, but rather by the external audio device's amplifier
B) variable volume - this means that the sound can be controlled BOTH by the televisions amplifier AND the external audio device's amplifier.

for a device that does not have a built in amplifier (such as headphones) you need to use the variable volume setting on the television in order to get sound.

fixed volume is generally reserved for connecting to stereo systems that have their own amp system. if you combine variable volume with one of these - you can blow your speakers if you max the volume on both devices.

but it is really a matter of personal preference. would you rather:
A) control the sound with the TV remote
B) control the sound with the Stereo remote

however.... some newer tv sets don't come with a variable volume option, which is a drawback for using headphones in this arrangement. they're pretty much pushing towards using home theater systems rather than head sets.

-------------------

I see.. yeah. those are all inputs. I don't see ANY output there as a matter of fact. is that the only panel you have? none on the side?

jjbennett
09-03-09, 00:42
That i can't tell you...i'd need to check the TVs menus for that, the manual that came with it is a waste of time.

Neteru
09-03-09, 00:48
According to LG website there's a headphone socket on the side panel.

jjbennett
09-03-09, 00:58
Nope, the manual even says its absent from the model. There is DEFINATELY no socket.

Net, do you have a link to where you saw that, would be interesting to send them an email regarding it.

spikejones
09-03-09, 01:02
did you purchase that in a store or online?
if you bought it online and the ad says it features something that it does not... you can get it exchanged by saying you were under the impression it had a headphone jack.

jjbennett
09-03-09, 01:08
I must admit i never looked in the description to see if it had a jack, i just assumed it would as every other telly i've seen has one.

Mr.Burns
09-03-09, 01:13
From what I've read online, the only audio output is from the Dolby Digital TOSlink. You could, assuming you have RCA Red/White outs from the PS3, run them into a combiner like the one Punaxe suggested (RCA to 3.5mm jack), then pass that into a basic headphone amp. Another option is to run the RCA connections directly into an entry level headphone amp however if you boost the the input signal too much without amplification first, you'll introduce too much distortion (background hiss). Basically how it works is you have in essence a raw audio signal being passed from the PS3 via the audio cables. The input component such as a TV or stereo receiver takes this signal and amps it to a level that is desirable. However if you run from the PS3 directly to a headphone amp, all it will do is boost the gain on the raw signal. You'll have some improvement but too much gain and it starts to lose it's quality (the hiss I mentioned). Hope that wasn't too convoluted.

Neteru
09-03-09, 01:18
Nope, the manual even says its absent from the model. There is DEFINATELY no socket.

Net, do you have a link to where you saw that, would be interesting to send them an email regarding it.OK, this is a safe link to give you.

http://uk.lge.com/products/model/detail/lcdtv_32lg3000.jhtml

Scroll down to 'Connectivity' and also in the picture boxout just above, if you click on the red lettered 'Connectivity information>>' link it will show you a diagram of the back and side panels showing the headphone socket.

EDIT, incidentally, I don't know where you bought it, but just in case it was Argos, I checked their site and the information there also states 'headphones'.

jjbennett
09-03-09, 13:04
That is really odd as i dont have those right hand slots with the headphone port at the bottom at all, the manual has them boxed off saying its other models in the range - higher spec ones - that have it.

*Starts email to LG*

EDIT - Someone write me into the Darwin Awards for sheer stupidity. The manual says no headphone socket but that panel of things is hidden behind a plastic cover on the side, therefore i do have a headphone port. Sorry for wasting your time people.

http://kevinchiu.org/emote/facepalm.jpg

spikejones
09-03-09, 15:25
I now find it appropriate to to do this:

:vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol::v lol::vlol:

don't feel bad... we all have our moments ;)

:whi:

Neteru
09-03-09, 20:34
EDIT - Someone write me into the Darwin Awards for sheer stupidity. The manual says no headphone socket but that panel of things is hidden behind a plastic cover on the side, therefore i do have a headphone port. Sorry for wasting your time people.I did wonder. Anyway, the good news is, problem solved!

jjbennett
09-03-09, 21:48
Can i have a new tagline of "Tech Berk" please Net? :p :vlol: