PDA

View Full Version : Getting employeed

spikejones
09-03-09, 00:39
Similar type question as the finding a singnificant other. Bear with me, I'm not just making random questions for no reason. I have a theory I'm coming to but I want to see some input before I make that statement. I may be totally wrong if the results of this are different from what I expect, at which point I will have to rethink my theory. Once again, two part question (for the sake continuity):

edit... I'm changing the options here slightly due to a flaw in my original thinking. we're no longer looking at employment itself, but at the general outcome of employment - money. And there is a reason why I'm looking at this particular object - which will become clear later on.

1. What is your gender?
2. Imagine a stack of money in front of you, would you prefer to A) go get the money, B) wait for the money to come to you

clarification for those who are looking at this ethically and morally: the money doesn't belong to anyone. you're not committing a crime. there's not "strings" attached. waiting for the money to come to you can be by any means you can imagine, be it physically possible or no. but there is no guarantee how long it will take to get there. and there is no interest on it. its not in the bank. its a pile of money.. if you don't take it, someone else may.

"if the opportunity to get money without impeding anyone else presents itself, will you take initiative to get the money, or will you wait for other circumstances in which money to comes to you?"
------

Me:

1. Male
2. I prefer to go get the money.

previous results are negated due to altered question.

silver_wolf
09-03-09, 00:42
male, I'd take the money.

da tomb raider!
09-03-09, 00:42
1. Male
2. I prefer to seek out employment.

Punaxe
09-03-09, 00:45
1. Male
2. Prefer to be asked, because it is a sign of recognition.

I answered the opposite to the relationships question, can't easily explain why this is so different though.

CerebralAssassin
09-03-09, 00:46
1.male
2.I prefer to seek out employment myself (it's not rocket science...all you have to do is buy a newspaper and make a few phone calls if you find something you like)

EmeraldFields
09-03-09, 00:53
Male

I prefer to seek out employment.

digitizedboy
09-03-09, 00:57
you're on a roll spikejones. A cheesy mcfried one. lol

spikejones
09-03-09, 00:57
1. Male
2. Prefer to be asked, because it is a sign of recognition.

I answered the opposite to the relationships question, can't easily explain why this is so different though.
I was wondering if anyone at all would post that answer. I asked my mom the question and she said "I don't think there is such a thing as having an employer find you". My thoughts were of the following:

no one would answer as you did since it is highly unlikely a job will actually fall into your lap - you need to go and get it.

But alas, that was my own reasoning.

Punaxe
09-03-09, 01:01
I was wondering if anyone at all would post that answer. I asked my mom the question and she said "I don't think there is such a thing as having an employer find you". My thoughts were of the following:

no one would answer as you did since it is highly unlikely a job will actually fall into your lap - you need to go and get it.

But alas, that was my own reasoning.

That's probably true most of the time, but definitely not always. If you're really good, the employers will definitely ask you. Especially in (academic) research, I believe this actually happens quite a lot, because universities will get more money and fame if they have good researchers. This probably goes for all research fields where people can create individual fame by publishing papers and such.

spikejones
09-03-09, 16:27
please feel free to continue posting your answers/preferences here - I'm trying to deduce something still - not exactly what I had brought up with punaxe ;)

irjudd
09-03-09, 16:28
Male.

Prefer to have employer seek me out.

spikejones
09-03-09, 17:24
question has changed.. refer to opening post. My apologies. It seems that people weren't thinking the way I was hoping they would. I had a particular thing in mind that it seems some people weren't looking at. sorry to those that answered already... the data set is wiped clean. please feel free to respond again.

irjudd
09-03-09, 17:39
Pfft the question doesn't even make sense now.

Punaxe
09-03-09, 17:41
Lol what? Yeah the question's pretty weird. It needs some context. Is the money meant for me? Would it be given to me by a person if I didn't get it? If so, who is that person? Why is it money? Did I earn it? Et cetera...

CerebralAssassin
09-03-09, 18:28
I don't think it's realistic to expect money to come your way without any effort,unless you have some rich parents or something:p

irjudd
09-03-09, 18:38
Am I down-wind? Do I have telekinetic powers?

lararoxs
09-03-09, 19:07
Female,
Would prefer to earn the money myself through employment.:)

spikejones
09-03-09, 22:28
you read to far into it. stop looking at it from a moral standpoint as to whether it would be right for you to take the money if it belonged to someone else. throw morals out the window. its not a trick question.

do you - or do you not - want the money?

Joely-Moley
09-03-09, 22:31
1. What is your gender? Male
2. I'd prefer to go get the money. As long as it's not attached to a big sting that runs from me. :p

Punaxe
09-03-09, 22:40
Well... I stand by it that the question's unclear, but I suppose:

Male/Get the money

spikejones
09-03-09, 22:45
I was trying to make it as much of a parallel as to the dating thing without giving away too much of what my theory is, at any rate - I've got your answers and here's a copy of my latest edit:

clarification: the money doesn't belong to anyone. you're not committing a crime. there's not "strings" attached. waiting for the money to come to you can be by any means you can imagine, be it physically possible or no. but there is no guarantee how long it will take to get there. and there is no interest on it. its not in the bank. its a pile of money.. if you don't take it, someone else may.

although... to be fair, with explaining it the way I see it, it sort of leads you to make the decision I'm assuming everyone will make. thats why I didn't want to write an essay to explain it. Im quite simply trying to deduce whether in your mind - money is important or not. If you think it is, you would choose to go and get the money. If you think it is not - you would choose to wait for the money to come by some other means.

Punaxe
10-03-09, 00:13
But this question raises a lot of ethic/moral issues, because "if you don't take, someone else may"... What if this other person needs it more than I do? With the dating question, either we both profit, or we both move on, and it doesn't matter who takes the first step. With physically taking something, appropriating something, you're taking something away from others to be kept for yourself. That's just not as easy as you want to put it.
In that situation, I would want it to come to me, because then I'd be sure it was indeed meant for me and not for someone else (though this still depends on the kind of 'coming to me'). But that's probably not what you're after.

Whether or not money is important... I wonder if that's even worth a question :p Of course it is. But that doesn't mean I'd try to get it no matter what.

Lemmie
10-03-09, 00:23
1. What is your gender? - Male.
2. Imagine a stack of money in front of you, would you prefer to A) go get the money, B) wait for the money to come to you? - If it's just sitting there, sure I'll take it. But I would also like a job to keep me busy.

spikejones
10-03-09, 00:27
your still looking too much into it. that pile of money is not there for who needs it the most - it is there for who wants it the most. (just like a job is not given out based on who needs it the most - given two equally qualified candidates, the one who shows the most want for that job is going to get it. even though he may already have a crap load of money and not need another job just yet, guy A can win out on getting the job by wanting it more than guy B who needs it more.)

BUT!!

Don't look at it as if - the money gets taken by someone else, you will never get that pile of money. It may be a different pile of money you get later on down the road by some other means. theres just no guarantee it is going to be more or less or how long will it take.

Punaxe
10-03-09, 00:39
Well... I stand by it that the question's unclear, but I suppose:

Male/Get the money

Still :p

spikejones
10-03-09, 00:49
I appreciate your debating nature... and that may play a good role in what is to come, but for now - let me ask you about this:
What if this other person needs it more than I do? With the dating question, either we both profit, or we both move on, and it doesn't matter who takes the first step. With physically taking something, appropriating something, you're taking something away from others to be kept for yourself.
why the different views on taking money and taking women/men? You don't ever think to yourself "gee, my friend needs a girlfriend more than I do - I'll let him hook up with her instead of me"... do you? Of course the two people in the relationship profit or move on, but what about your friend?

Punaxe
10-03-09, 00:57
Well, it's a lot more complex in a different way. Money can be used by anyone. Relationships don't work for anyone, and usually, when you find one that works, you can consider yourself lucky. Chances are that what's a compatible partner for you, is not a compatible partner for your friends. Because of this, once there is a chance for a relationship, it should be taken. Indeed both partners benefit, while the chance of impeding your friends is usually near-zero.
Of course if you would have asked "there's a girl both you and your friend like - a) would you ask her out? b) would you go on a date if she asked you?" things were different again, actually quite similar to this money problem.

spikejones
10-03-09, 01:10
but only in the way that you are looking at it. I'm not saying you shouldn't look at it like that in real life - that is a noble thing of you. But for the purposes of the question, I'm simply trying to find out:

"if the opportunity to get money without impeding anyone else presents itself, will you take initiative to get the money, or will you wait for other circumstances in which money to comes to you?"

That does draw a parallel to the other question if you stop looking to deep into it.

Nefertiti_89
10-03-09, 01:12
I'm female, and I'd totally go get the money because I'm insanely impatient and hate waiting for anything, lifes to damn short.

As a result I have never gone a day jobless since I was 14. So I seek employment, currently I have 2 jobs and a 3rd one on the way so I can afford to get to NYC for New Year.

spikejones
10-03-09, 01:19
is it possible to have 27 more people to give a simple answer to this question?

Punaxe
10-03-09, 01:27
I think you finally worded it clearly enough :p

Still male/get the money

oocladableeblah
10-03-09, 01:45
Male
I'd take the money.

rowanlim
10-03-09, 02:31
Female, I'd get the money.

I like money :)

spikejones
10-03-09, 03:12
current results:
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/trf/moneypsyche.jpg

Draco
10-03-09, 03:48
The problem with the scenario presented is that it is a perfect opportunity, which anyone who says they wouldn't take it is lying.

What I'd say is a good measure of active vs passive is the suitcase of money under the table at a restaurant scenario.

spikejones
10-03-09, 04:21
were not looking at active vs. passive... totally different scenario all together - see the thread "materialism vs. relationships" to see my interpretation. Its supposed to be a perfect opportunity, in order to see how you much you value money. If you don't view money as being important - you would be perfectly capable of saying you would pass on the opportunity.

Shark_Blade
10-03-09, 05:37
Male.

I'd get the money as well.

*laralover*
10-03-09, 08:22
Female

Id get the money :D

Ikas90
10-03-09, 12:33
I'd much rather work for money, but if there was a pile of money infront of me, I'd use it as a bonus.

Survival
10-03-09, 12:47
Male
I prefer to seek out the job.

spikejones
10-03-09, 14:19
gosh you guys are late... but yeah. that just solidified my interpretation of the results. thanks.

Andyroo
10-03-09, 14:35
Male, I'd go get it,

Andy.