PDA

View Full Version : We Were Almost Hit...

Changeling
09-03-09, 12:19
BY AN ASTEROID O___O

Talk about a near miss!

A 200-foot wide asteroid zoomed past Earth today at an altitude of 40,000 miles - swerving far enough from our planet to avoid total destruction,
officials said.

Dubbed 2009 DD45, the large rock was discovered only Friday by Australian astronomers.

The enormous asteroid narrowly avoided a collision with Earth at 8:44 EST, officials said.

Although 40,000 miles sounds like a safe distance, it's only about one-seventh of the way to the moon and less than twice as far out as most satellites, astronomers said.

Had 2009 DD45 slammed down onto the Earth, it would have exploded with the force of a large nuclear blast somewhere in the Pacific Ocean west of Tahiti.

Astronomers said the asteroid is likely to return for another series of near misses since it's somehow drawn in by our planet's gravity.

Peter Brown, an astronomer at the University of Western Ontario in Canada, said the last rock "as large or larger than this to come this close was in 1973 and the next time will be in 2029 when Apophis makes its close approach."

Apophis initially caused some concern among scientists when its plotted course revealed it to be on a collision trajectory with Earth, but further investigations have since shown it will pass harmlessly by.

Source (http://www.nypost.com/seven/03022009/news/worldnews/small_asteroid_narrowly_misses_earth_157694.htm)

Thanks for the heads up on the near-apocolypse Government! :ton:

irjudd
09-03-09, 12:22
Would it have been better to freak out the general public?

Titanium
09-03-09, 13:02
There are two types of astrominers. Ones who study all the information and come up with the most plausible answer. And the others who are paranoid and think everything is going to kill us. :p

SilviaIsMyHero
09-03-09, 13:30
Woah! That's.... interesting. I'm surprised they haven't found it earlier, it almost seems like they didn't care.

Heh ''Apophis''... reminds me of Stargate Sg1.

Dazzy
09-03-09, 13:57
Blimey, a near miss, one will hit us one day, and we will have to go under cover.

ShadyCroft
09-03-09, 14:02
Well, that's good. I haven't come across headlines mentioning it, so I can't say am feeling freaked out.

jjbennett
09-03-09, 14:28
Blimey, a near miss, one will hit us one day, and we will have to go under cover.

If an asteroid hits us its almost certainly going to be big enough to destroy 99% of life as it would have to be huge to not burn up in the atmosphere.

Going under cover would be kinda pointless at that point.

Greenkey2
09-03-09, 14:37
I was wondering why my ears kept popping yesterday :p

Draco
09-03-09, 14:47
Woah! That's.... interesting. I'm surprised they haven't found it earlier, it almost seems like they didn't care.

Well, I'm sure with enough funding they could do a better job.

Heh ''Apophis''... reminds me of Stargate Sg1.

Greek gods will do that. ;)

Punaxe
09-03-09, 14:48
Hmm I'm actually pretty sure I heard about this a couple of weeks earlier. They already knew it was going to miss us. No hugely important news for the general public.

Greenkey2
09-03-09, 14:58
Greek gods will do that. ;)

Actually Apophis was Egyptian. Shame on you, getting your myths mixed up on a Tomb Raider forum! :smk: ;)

interstellardave
09-03-09, 15:04
Well 200 feet isn't big enough for an apocalypse... the story itself says it would have hit with the force of a large nuclear explosion... bad for anyone/anything close but not earth-threatening. Actually it would have caused a good-sized tsunami if it hit the ocean like it could have, so also bad for those on the surrounding coastlines too.

Changeling
09-03-09, 15:12
Well 200 feet isn't big enough for an apocalypse... the story itself says it would have hit with the force of a large nuclear explosion... bad for anyone/anything close but not earth-threatening. Actually it would have caused a good-sized tsunami if it hit the ocean like it could have, so also bad for those on the surrounding coastlines too.

Yes, I know, I wasn't being serious.

Drone
09-03-09, 15:19
oldie ... and they missed again

interstellardave
09-03-09, 16:02
Yes, I know, I wasn't being serious.

I should have quoted JJBennets post... I was kinda referring to his post. I think he just worded it wrong though, 'cause small meteors hit all the time... plenty survive the atmosphere without causing huge damage. I'm sure he knows that! :)

tranniversary119
09-03-09, 16:05
Heard about this, my science teacher told us and also said we were getting hit in 20 years by an asteroids thats headed straight for Earth. I thought it was going to pass by us and then 10 years come back?

jjbennett
09-03-09, 16:23
I should have quoted JJBennets post... I was kinda referring to his post. I think he just worded it wrong though, 'cause small meteors hit all the time... plenty survive the atmosphere without causing huge damage. I'm sure he knows that! :)

I do know that yep ;)

Changeling
09-03-09, 16:27

Ahh, I see! I thought you were referring to me, sorry :o

rickybazire
09-03-09, 18:07
Woops...didn't see it...I wonder when one will probably hit Earth.

DickDan
09-03-09, 18:33
You know this sort of thing happens every day?

Mad Tony
09-03-09, 18:34
You know this sort of thing happens every day?Obviously not, otherwise people wouldn't be making such a big deal about it. Asteroids don't normally come that close to Earth.

DickDan
09-03-09, 18:35
Obviously not, otherwise people wouldn't be making such a big deal about it. Asteroids don't normally come that close to Earth.

They do, they just don't report every single one. >_>

Mad Tony
09-03-09, 18:37
They do, they just don't report every single one. >_>Why would they choose to report one asteroid coming this close to but not others?

DickDan
09-03-09, 18:38
Why would they choose to report one asteroid coming this close to but not others?

Because this one was like twice the size of the normal ones.

Changeling
09-03-09, 18:51
Because this one was like twice the size of the normal ones.

Hence why it was covered and reported by the media :p

Lemmie
09-03-09, 19:00
Would it have been better to freak out the general public?

Exactly. There's not a lot we can do about it.

Biddy
09-03-09, 19:08
Hah.

Drone
09-03-09, 19:21
Hah.

exactly! that was my first impression too :D

tomblover
09-03-09, 19:26
Holy ****. :eek:

Draco
09-03-09, 20:19
Why would they choose to report one asteroid coming this close to but not others?

We don't see most of them.

We could get hit tomorrow with a world ender and not see it coming.

da tomb raider!
09-03-09, 21:15
Christ. I'd better play a game of Asteroids to calm myself down.

Kittypower
09-03-09, 21:27
Now its time to go into my nuclear bomb shelter and see how much protection it provides against a giant asteroid. "Sigh", what a bother.

silver_wolf
09-03-09, 21:51
Ah, I think it would've been fun for the day if the gov't went on the TV and basically screamed "OMG We're all going to DIE!! :yik: ". No school.

Angelus
09-03-09, 21:52
:eek: :yik: etc.

patriots88888
09-03-09, 22:07
Ah, I think it would've been fun for the day if the gov't went on the TV and basically screamed "OMG We're all going to DIE!! :yik: ". No school.

:vlol:
I probably shouldn't laugh about such things, but that was the best! :D

silver_wolf
09-03-09, 22:43
the best part would have been their attempt at an apology when we're all still alive.

Draco
10-03-09, 00:48
I'd say an almost miss is a much bigger deal.