PDA

View Full Version : YouTube to block UK music videos

lararoxs
09-03-09, 19:02
YouTube is blocking all premium music videos to UK users after failing to reach a new licensing agreement with the Performing Right Society (PRS).

Thousands of videos will be unavailable to YouTube users from later on Monday.

Patrick Walker, YouTube's director of video partnerships, told BBC News that the move was "regrettable".

Steve Porter, head of the PRS, said he was "outraged... shocked and disappointed" by YouTube's decision.

In a statement, Mr Porter said the move "punishes British consumers and the songwriters whose interests we protect and represent".

The PRS has asked YouTube to reconsider its decision as a "matter of urgency".

Full Story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7933565.stm)

****UPDATE!****
Last.FM joins Google's rights row

Online music service Last.fm has waded into the row between YouTube and the Performing Right Society.

Founder Martin Stiksel said he hoped a resolution can be found to avoid illegal services from taking over.

He urged both parties to find a "workable solution, which he hoped would include cheaper and "less complicated" licenses.

YouTube is removing all premium music videos to UK users after failing to reach agreement with the PRS.

Thousands of videos were made unavailable to YouTube users from late on 9 March.

Mr Stiksel told the BBC: "It has been a bold decision for Google but we are all working in a very competitive environment and the fees need to reflect that," he said.

Full story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7935833.stm)

Mad Tony
09-03-09, 19:03
I noticed this. What exactly are "premium" music videos? The article says only thousands of videos will be unavailable, so surely it's not all music videos? Also, does this mean that people using YouTube UK won't be able access them, or just everyone in the UK regardless of which YouTube variant they use?

TombRaiderLover
09-03-09, 19:04
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Best make the most out of listening to Bittersweet Symphony.

rickybazire
09-03-09, 19:05
Ouch...

I buy a lot of music nowadays though.

TRhalloween
09-03-09, 19:06
'Thousands' meaning 'all'? :confused:

lararoxs
09-03-09, 19:06
I noticed this. What exactly are "premium" music videos? The article says only thousands of videos will be unavailable, so surely it's not all music videos? Also, does this mean that people using YouTube UK won't be able access them, or just everyone in the UK regardless of which YouTube variant they use?

I have no idea what they defy as 'premium'. Would that be oficial music videos? Surely not!

This is the first I have heard of this so I don't know what is really going on, sounds as if they still don't know themselves...

Mad Tony
09-03-09, 19:07
I have no idea what they defy as 'premium'. Would that be oficial music videos? Surely not!

This is the first I have heard of this so I don't know what is really going on, sounds as if they still don't know themselves...I doubt people will just stand by and let this happen. Surely something is gonna be done? Why do things always get banned here anyway?

TRfan23
09-03-09, 19:10
I'm really going to be sexually frustrated (in terms of having sex with your ears) over this :( If I want to find out what a song is, and how the tune goes, this is gonna be tough :(

This is the first I have heard of this so I don't know what is really going on, sounds as if they still don't know themselves...

We'll need Net to answer that ;) He knows everything :D

LaraCroftRox
09-03-09, 19:11
**** sake. :mad: What is the point of doing that anyway?

Mad Tony
09-03-09, 19:12
I'm really going to be sexually frustrated (lol) over this :( If I want to find out what a song is, and how it goes this is gonna be tough :(Sexually frustrated? Are you sure you didn't mean something else lol?

There's always iTunes. They let you listen to a free 30-second preview of any song in their music library. There's a lot of stuff in there. It's helped me find songs before.

Spong
09-03-09, 19:12
Excellent news. I've never really liked YouTube anyway. So I'm pleased.

irjudd
09-03-09, 19:13
I doubt people will just stand by and let this happen. Surely something is gonna be done? Why do things always get banned here anyway?
I'm curious what you expect "people" to do? Picket?

TRhalloween
09-03-09, 19:14
Excellent news. I've never really liked YouTube anyway. So I'm pleased.

But what about other people?

Mad Tony
09-03-09, 19:15
I'm curious what you expect "people" to do? Picket?I dunno. Somebody will probably do something about it. Don't ask me what though :p

TRhalloween
09-03-09, 19:19
Sexually frustrated? Are you sure you didn't mean something else lol?

Being frustrated can make you horny :)

Spong
09-03-09, 19:20
But what about other people?

They're not my responsibility ;)

I bet this whole thing boils down to money. As in YouTube didn't have enough to pay the PRS. If people (in the UK) want to do something about it, I say get your cheque books out. But you won't will you? Because you expect it all to be free. And therein lies the real problem if you ask me.

Lew
09-03-09, 19:26
They're not my responsibility ;)

I bet this whole thing boils down to money. As in YouTube didn't have enough to pay the PRS. If people (in the UK) want to do something about it, I say get your cheque books out. But you won't will you? Because you expect it all to be free. And therein lies the real problem if you ask me.

Well considering we have to pay vast amounts more for things such as films, games, computers etc. I dont think we should get our cheque books out at all :)

Joely-Moley
09-03-09, 19:56
Gah, people are going to stop using youtube soon it this keeps up.

I just wrote a report on the P.R.S.

TRfan23
09-03-09, 19:59
Sexually frustrated? Are you sure you didn't mean something else lol?

There's always iTunes. They let you listen to a free 30-second preview of any song in their music library. There's a lot of stuff in there. It's helped me find songs before.

I meant by not being able to have to listen to music :( Would make me sexually frustrated, meaning not being able to have sex with my ears! Besides I edited my other post on this.

lararoxs
09-03-09, 20:29
Well considering we have to pay vast amounts more for things such as films, games, computers etc. I dont think we should get our cheque books out at all :)

I completely agree! :tmb:

Spong
09-03-09, 20:36

Ergo you shouldn't have to pay for music-related media as well? That's a bit unfair on the music industry isn't it?

I think YouTube should start charging subscriptions, I imagine that'd sort the serious users from the free loaders. Those who don't pay should only be allowed access to non-copyrighted material (i.e. all the crap).

Agent 47
09-03-09, 20:38
no matter how you try and spin it, music videos are copyrighted material. Spong has a point imo.

youtube is nothing more than a pirates haven, why is the site popular? simply put because it's free.

Titanium
09-03-09, 20:48
Well this is not good. But on the other hand, there are many other video uploading websites with music videos. So until youtube comes to an agreement, I recommend trying elsewhere. :tmb:

This may shock some of you, but youtube isnt the only video website in the world. :D

pneboy
09-03-09, 20:57
does this mean people like erm kaiser cheifs i wont be able to listen to but someone like paramore i will on youtube or does it mean music on youtube will be banned for ukians

Spong
09-03-09, 21:00
does this mean people like erm kaiser cheifs i wont be able to listen to but someone like paramore i will on youtube or does it mean music on youtube will be banned for ukians

It means any and all copyrighted music videos are blocked to UK users of YouTube.

Mad Tony
09-03-09, 21:11
It means any and all copyrighted music videos are blocked to UK users of YouTube.Surely not all? I think are more than a few thousand copyrighted music videos on YouTube.

pneboy
09-03-09, 21:14
It means any and all copyrighted music videos are blocked to UK users of YouTube.

im still able to view music on youtube

lararoxs
09-03-09, 21:15
Don't some bands and groups have their own official youtube account?

Surely that is them giving permission for the videos along with the copyright and all to be on youtube?

Mad Tony
09-03-09, 21:16
Hmm... I've been thinking, does this mean users from the UK will no longer be able to Rick Roll other people or be Rick Rolled themselves? :p

TR FAN 18
09-03-09, 21:20
WHAT?! First WMG goes and deletes or mutes music videos (including Guitar Hero & Rock Band) and now this?! :mad:
Dammit, ever since Google bought YT, it has just gone stupid. This makes me not want to register on YT ever.
Still, there are other video sites.

Spong
09-03-09, 21:22
Hmm... I've been thinking, does this mean users from the UK will no longer be able to Rick Roll other people or be Rick Rolled themselves? :p

We can only hope.

Joely-Moley
09-03-09, 21:26
I think this is a bad move by youtube, I really think they should pay their PRS licence and be done with it.

Another site may well just open up, or one of the many video hosting sites that are already may really take off if someone else is willing to pay the PRS licence fee and be able to have the music on there.

People will just go elsewhere, WMG taking sticker action with their videos really does not help youtube in this situation either.

Tihocan9
09-03-09, 21:30
This is so pathetic sounding to me, I mean if these people were poor or something I would understand them wanting as much money as they can get but I mean these are huge companies making tons of money...this is just an extremely greedy move if you ask me. I know they are in business to get money and thats fine but I mean there is a line between needing money and nickel and diming everyone for everything

Lew
09-03-09, 21:49
Ergo you shouldn't have to pay for music-related media as well? That's a bit unfair on the music industry isn't it?

I think YouTube should start charging subscriptions, I imagine that'd sort the serious users from the free loaders. Those who don't pay should only be allowed access to non-copyrighted material (i.e. all the crap).

Lol thats funny that is because I pay for my music.... but with youtube its not really HQ enough and you cant download to your ipod or computer etc. you have to have the internet.

Angelus
09-03-09, 21:51
Lol thats funny that is because I pay for my music.... but with youtube its not really HQ enough and you cant download to your ipod or computer etc. you have to have the internet.

Exactly. I'd rather pay for my music than listen to it on YouTube at a crappy quality. You could even download songs from Limewire or whatever that are higher quality.

Spong
09-03-09, 21:56

You certainly didn't convey the fact you pay for music in your first post, you made it sound as though music and/or their videos was the only media you begrudged paying for. But thanks for clarifying :)

And I agree about the quality issues entirely. I'm an ex-digital media editor and that was my main bugbear when YouTube first rose to popularity. The quality of the video & audio posted there is truly awful and little has been done to improve it over the years. And in that respect, forcing people to subscribe to YouTube in order to watch music videos isn't really a viable alternative. But blocking them is.

Neteru
09-03-09, 22:05
Premium content refers to videos in the partner programme whereby the uploader earns a share of the ad revenue. So this would likely refer to videos uploaded by studios or record labels that are part of the programme.

da tomb raider!
09-03-09, 22:11
Hey, if you want to listen to music, why not just buy it? That's what I do.

TRfan23
09-03-09, 22:12

Oh and about itunes, I can never get that to work :( If your on about the radio on it? Well says my Internet's not connected, but it is! :(
Let's try not to digress.

Premium content refers to videos in the partner programme whereby the uploader earns a share of the ad revenue. So this would likely refer to videos uploaded by studios or record labels that are part of the programme.

Your the man ;) :tmb:

Yes but not if we don't know if it's the song we're after, or that'd be a waste of money. Unless we know the song then we buy it :)

Quasimodo
09-03-09, 22:13

or head on over to Pandora radio. It's a good way to find new music/have something to listen to while drawing.

-DaNnEe..
09-03-09, 22:14
YouTube is becoming utter crap!

Spong
09-03-09, 22:15
Becoming?

-DaNnEe..
09-03-09, 22:21
Okay. Is utter crap!

Lee croft
09-03-09, 22:54
Okay. Is utter crap!

thats more like it

Reggie
09-03-09, 23:01
I've been wondering lately: did the internet community become far too reliant on Youtube as a video host?

I say this because my ISP already forbids me from going on Youtube (because they're being awkward) and because of this, its made me notice just how many sites rely on Youtube for their video displays. Before Youtube, a site either had its own player or you downloaded it and watched it on your media player. Availability was much lower but it wasn't too bad. Now, even though there's been a multitude of video hosting springing up all over the place, Youtube still holds a grossly disproportionate share of the internet audience. Now that drastic measures are about to be taken, I can see this realisation slowly dawning on everyone and names like Dailymotion, Megavideo, Vimeo and the like are already being uttered by former die-hard youtubers. I hope Youtube loses a share of its users to other sites, it would be much healthier for everyone.

Joely-Moley
09-03-09, 23:04
I hope Youtube loses a share of its users to other sites, it would be much healthier for everyone.

I agree with you, I think this right here is what will drive a mass or people onto other sites looking for the music. I think it was a bad move on you tubes part not paying the fee, and think down the line they might change their mind as people will start going to other websites.

Titanium
09-03-09, 23:05
Who is your ISP Reggie?

Reggie
09-03-09, 23:08
T-Mobile wireless broadband, does the job but its got a parent lock on it that requires credit card details to remove. My parents are very stringent about giving credit card details thus the lock remains. I can live with it.

Spong
10-03-09, 14:52
yb_yVxDyB9s
and if you can't see that... its the american national anthem
In essence, the point is - "I'm proud to be an American" home of the free and land of the un youtube restricted. :jmp:

sorry guys.

Hate to burst your bubble spike, but I can watch that video quite happily. Seems like the American national anthem isn't considered premium enough to be banned here in the UK :D

Angelus
10-03-09, 14:57
I can see it, too. Not that I want to, but I can still watch it.

SilviaIsMyHero
10-03-09, 14:59
Uh I've seen this in newspapers today. It really sucks.
I get ''not available in your country'' country a lot too, and that makes me mad. You could watch any video normally before and now YT is just crap.

violentblossom
10-03-09, 14:59
I can see it, too. Not that I want to, but I can still watch it.

because THAT was completely nessecary. :rolleyes:

Angelus
10-03-09, 15:01
Clearly.

Joely-Moley
10-03-09, 16:03
Hate to burst your bubble spike, but I can watch that video quite happily. Seems like the American national anthem isn't considered premium enough to be banned here in the UK :D

American videos will be unaffected. This will only effect UK music as they are the ones that the PRS licence is for.

Their members are UK artists, bands and musicians where they collect a licence fee and distribute the royalties to it's members evenly, seeing as youtube won't pay their licence, no more premium UK videos on their site. Just in case any one was wondering :)

Lara.Jolie7
10-03-09, 16:39
Well, if they block musics from utube, people will find another way to listen or worst DOWNLOAD!
So I think the ones who will loose is youtube

spikejones
10-03-09, 16:47
American videos will be unaffected. This will only effect UK music as they are the ones that the PRS licence is for.

Their members are UK artists, bands and musicians where they collect a licence fee and distribute the royalties to it's members evenly, seeing as youtube won't pay their licence, no more premium UK videos on their site. Just in case any one was wondering :)
so you mean that it only blocks videos MADE by UK bands, and not banning UK viewers from watching any kind of music video?
the wording of the post seemed to state the second part there.. oh well. I don't listen to UK music anyhow.

Joely-Moley
10-03-09, 16:58
so you mean that it only blocks videos MADE by UK bands, and not banning UK viewers from watching any kind of music video?
the wording of the post seemed to state the second part there.. oh well. I don't listen to UK music anyhow.

Yeah, pretty much. although, I'm not 100% sure if Americans will be able to access the UK music videos, seeing as the performing rights society is mostly Uk based.

The P.R.S are for UK artists to give them royalties every time there song is played.
Say for example in a shop, to play the radio or a C.D you'd need a PRS licence so the artists could get money for their music being played. same with a radio station but obviously the licence fee is bigger. Then the distribute the money to it's members.

Only recently has YouTube been required to have a licence and that was due to so many people ripping the songs from there and getting the music for free, so they started charging so the UK artists could get royalties from You Tube as well. So seeing as You tube decided not to renew it's licence all premium UK music has been pulled.

irjudd
10-03-09, 16:59
This is a shame since the music coming out of the US usually sucks. Some of my favorite stuff has been from overseas.

spikejones
10-03-09, 17:43
sounds like PRS is killing music. *******s. I thought it was supposed to be for fun? sounds like those *****s just need to get a day job.

T-Mobile wireless broadband, does the job but its got a parent lock on it that requires credit card details to remove. My parents are very stringent about giving credit card details thus the lock remains. I can live with it.
try an alternate DNS server perhaps? or www.partymembers.com

Joely-Moley
10-03-09, 17:49
I guess so, They are great if you are a UK artist, band or musician and are a member. Though bad if you own a small business and can't afford a licence to just have some music playing.

spikejones
10-03-09, 17:54
lets look at it this way... short of the band getting out there and playing shows in the streets, if people are required to pay-per-play and everyone refuses to do so (because if you love music it can be overly expensive) how do they hope to get their name out there and get exposure? I say blow the pay-per-play attitude and just do some shows for free, let the radio play your music, let youtube play your music, and people will buy the CD for convenience reasons, and the will pay to go to your big shows when you hit big.

Joely-Moley
10-03-09, 18:05
lets look at it this way... short of the band getting out there and playing shows in the streets, if people are required to pay-per-play and everyone refuses to do so (because if you love music it can be overly expensive) how do they hope to get their name out there and get exposure? I say blow the pay-per-play attitude and just do some shows for free, let the radio play your music, let youtube play your music, and people will buy the CD for convenience reasons, and the will pay to go to your big shows when you hit big.

Yeah, I get what your saying, and I do agree. Although the PRS is mainly for bigger artists that are already signed with CDs out.

The licensing laws in the UK are slowly killing the music scene.
I don't know if you have heard of the Licensing act of 2003? Basically it requires now that all pubs and bars with live entertainment, with more than two musicians need to have a licence to do so. These licences are ridiculously expensive and many bars just can't afford it, so can no longer put on gigs any more. Which is where many, many artists start out or just play for fun, but now these musicians have nowhere it play or it's a lot harder to get started.

And the icing on the cake, government are trying to implement placing noise controllers in UK venues, where if the noise goes above a certain decibel it will cut the power off for 60 seconds.

An average un-amplified snare drum exceeds the cut-off. So you can see how this will kill the live scene. Not good for UK music at all...Went off on a slight tangent there...

*back on topic.*

spikejones
10-03-09, 18:14
no... I was never aware of that! Im grateful for the brewery here in Raleigh - live music practically every night. I may be going out tonight to see 96 Comas, God Forgive, and Soundlab.

Reggie
10-03-09, 18:34
try an alternate DNS server perhaps? or www.partymembers.com (http://www.partymembers.com)
Much appreciated, problem solved! :tmb:
Edit: Or so I thought. Youtube's stream is still being blocked but I can view pages and do everything else fine. Ah well.

spikejones
10-03-09, 19:04
www.opendns.com should solve that then. your ISP's dns server is most likely blocking youtube. I don't agree with an ISP dictating your browsing habbits by blockiing access to certain sites.

lararoxs
10-03-09, 19:34
**UPDATED FIRST POST**

Online music service Last.fm has waded into the row between YouTube and the Performing Right Society.

Founder Martin Stiksel said he hoped a resolution can be found to avoid illegal services from taking over.

He urged both parties to find a "workable solution, which he hoped would include cheaper and "less complicated" licenses.

YouTube is removing all premium music videos to UK users after failing to reach agreement with the PRS.

Thousands of videos were made unavailable to YouTube users from late on 9 March.

Mr Stiksel told the BBC: "It has been a bold decision for Google but we are all working in a very competitive environment and the fees need to reflect that," he said.

Full Story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7935833.stm)

Jack Croft
10-03-09, 19:42
It's pathetic.

pinklaralover
10-03-09, 20:26
:mad:I feel the urge to eat youtube right now.:mad:

TRfan23
10-03-09, 20:31
"We pay each time one users listens to a song or watches a clip and, while that is more accurate because it makes sure the more popular songs get paid more, it is also very expensive," he said. - Full Story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7935833.stm)

For revenge, lets keep on watching youtube videos. Refresh the same page with the video over and over again :D Then they'll be in debt! :mis:

Larapink
10-03-09, 22:03
I can still watch music videos, this didn't stop me. :D

patriots88888
11-03-09, 01:05

Not true! There are many programs and sites which one can use to download content from Youtube. ;) I should know, I use them all the time. :)