PDA

View Full Version : Stress Management

Laurencarter
09-03-09, 19:40
Hey guys I have to do this task about Stress for Health class. And I was wondering if you guys could help me by answering a few questions.

I'm talking about both negative and positive stress here.

What are the pro's and con's of stress?

How do you manage stress?

Any answers would be appreciated

*Mod if you feel that you need to close this thread, feel free*

rowanlim
09-03-09, 19:57
What are the pro's and con's of stress?
I guess on some level, stress can push you to do the impossible; work gets done. Of course, stress can lead to physical & mental breakdown.

How do you manage stress?
Pacing myself, I try to prioritize my work so that the more urgent matters get settled first, plus taking time off for recreation helps to clear the mind :)

Punaxe
09-03-09, 20:15
I may not be of much help because I am actually hardly ever in stress. It is a documented fact however that (some sort of) stress can indeed, as rowanlim said, push you to get work done. This applies to me as well: at a deadline, I can work harder than usual. So, that's a pro. I cannot mention any cons since I have not experienced any, and I've never needed to manage it either.

irjudd
09-03-09, 20:24
I may not be of much help because I am actually hardly ever in stress. It is a documented fact however that (some sort of) stress can indeed, as rowanlim said, push you to get work done. This applies to me as well: at a deadline, I can work harder than usual. So, that's a pro. I cannot mention any cons since I have not experienced any, and I've never needed to manage it either.
I'll help you with the cons, since I have them in abundance.

Loss of sleep
Stomach problems
Rashes (shingles)
Irritability
Strained relationships
Weight loss
Weight gain
Cardiovascular problems
Headaches
Fatigue

To name a few.

Tihocan9
09-03-09, 20:50
What a coincidence I am learning about the same thing in Health right now too.

Well Eustress (good stress) and make you really want to work hard for something. Like a test, if you are stressed about failing it you will probably study harder on that test than usual but if you are stressed during the test you might get so nervous you may draw a blank or just freak out. So it all depends on how you handle it.

I manage stress by setting realistic but good goals to reach, for example maybe on a test I will aim for a 95% instead of a 100% every time, obviously I want a 100% but I would be happy with a 95% so I am as stressed if the grade isn't perfect. I also usually just try and deal with the stress upfront, I think it is a bad idea to just not think about it or go to sleep because it will just make it build up and get worse.

rickybazire
09-03-09, 21:30
Pros and Cons

Without it, people would just be normal the whole time, but too much can be dangerous and people can flip out.

How do I manage it?

My answer to this, I'm not many of you will have the same.

...I improvise on the piano.