PDA

View Full Version : The only believed to be genuine portrait of William Shakespeare is unveiled.

violentblossom
09-03-09, 21:53
The painting is beautiful, and is over 300 years old. It was discovered in a house in Dartmouth, and was painted in his lifetime.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Portrait-William-Shakespeare/ss/events/lf/030909shakespeare

silver_wolf
09-03-09, 21:54
that doesn't seem so...."amazing". I mean, it's a nice painting, but I'm sure I've seen it before.

violentblossom
09-03-09, 21:56
that doesn't seem so...."amazing". I mean, it's a nice painting, but I'm sure I've seen it before.

you may have seen a painting based on that one.

it was not uncommon for artists to do that long ago.

touchthesky
10-03-09, 20:55
Nice find! :)

Lol@how happy the guy looks in picture 3.

rowanlim
11-03-09, 01:59
Is it authentic?? That's a nice painting, but I've always thought he looked like that :p

Shrantellatessa
11-03-09, 02:51
Already saw that in the news today, but thanks for sharing :)

calico25
11-03-09, 03:03
what's with yahoo today. First a picture of Abe lincoln in front of the white house that may have been the last taken of him and now this...

rickybazire
11-03-09, 06:04
I do find at times that Shakespeare is a bit overrated. If he was alive today, doing the plays he did then, he wouldn't get the publicity that he has now.

MrBear
11-03-09, 07:31
I do find at times that Shakespeare is a bit overrated. If he was alive today, doing the plays he did then, he wouldn't get the publicity that he has now.

If Bach was alive today, doing the compositions he did then, he wouldn't get the publicity that he has now. What are we getting at here? :p

Drone
11-03-09, 08:02
shame they didn't have polaroids then.

Nice outfit btw

Nausinous
11-03-09, 08:39

The guy invented like 400 words and was an absolute genius. His plays fit the period he was living in and reflected a lot of social and cultural issues. If Shakespeare was born into our generation I'm sure he'd get just as much attention.

Larapink
11-03-09, 10:54
It is a nice painting and he looks just as we always thought, there are drawings and sketches I have seen before of him. :)

And he looks just like them in the painting. :)

violentblossom
11-03-09, 12:19
what's with yahoo today. First a picture of Abe lincoln in front of the white house that may have been the last taken of him and now this...

the Shakespeare painting was found first, lol, this thread died out, thoughm until touchthesky revived it. :hug:

ALSO.. i think all other paintings and sketches were done off of this painting, because again, it was the only surviving portrait of him from his lifetime.

ShadyCroft
11-03-09, 12:31
Interesting ! Thanks for sharing, Vi ! :tmb: