PDA

View Full Version : How can I get internet?

~*~Chloe~*~
10-03-09, 10:21
I have a phone line in my house but is there any way I can get internet without paying an extra price each month for internet. I heard you can buy modem things. Is it possible?

Archetype
10-03-09, 10:47
simply no.

disneyprincess20
10-03-09, 11:09
^^Basically, he's right.

If you buy a dial-up modem, you can use the internet with your existing phone line but it will be really slow, and you probably wouldn't be able download anything to a console on dial up. If you're using the internet via dial-up, no one will be able to make or receive calls on the phone line.

I think you said in a post a while ago that you have an xbox 360, and with a bit of googling I found a guide to getting a 360 to work with a dial-up connection here (http://www.operationsports.com/DrUrsus/blog/2068-connecting-your-360-to-a-dial-up-internet-connection-basic-instructions/).

Punaxe
10-03-09, 12:54
If you have a phone line you can get dial-up (pay-per-minute) or ADSL (if it's available) which is much faster and allows you to still use your phone, but does cost a certain amount of money per month.

irjudd
10-03-09, 13:29
There are only a select few areas that offer "free internet". And if you live in one of them, I'd assume it would be advertised enough that you wouldn't have to ask about it.

So I'm going to say, no. No free internet for you.

spikejones
10-03-09, 14:16
^as irjudd said... there are areas that provide free dialup - but its only free to you if its a local call. Have you googled for "free dialup in [your location]"?

Angelus
10-03-09, 14:18
Wouldn't it just be easier to pay an ISP for access to the Internet?

spikejones
10-03-09, 14:36
^is it easier to pay money monthly, or is easier to not pay money monthly?

if you have a cellphone with unlimited data rates (or your data gets billed as minutes) and equal rates for long distance calls, you can hack the phone to act as a dialup modem. :D

Angelus
10-03-09, 14:37
It's easier to pay for it monthly rather than go through all of this crap.

spikejones
10-03-09, 14:40
^assume someone wants to do some intelligent research on a particular set of companies before deciding which to choose - they'd have to get input. Not everyone is the jump right in kind of person.

Archetype
10-03-09, 14:41
think my first post was a bit callous.

Lots of cheap ISP's around these days, doesn't have to be amazingly fast.

Standard it seems is 4mb minimum in the UK at the moment.

Angelus
10-03-09, 14:45
That's not what she's asking, though. She's asking if she can basically get the Internet for free, when it would be easier to get the Internet from an ISP.

disneyprincess20
10-03-09, 14:47
Some people can't afford/don't have the cabling in their area/parent's won't allow them to have broadband in their house. I know because I had this problem when I lived with my parents. When I wanted a new phoneline for broadband, they had to dig up a large part of the A38 to get it installed. I can see where Chloe is coming from, however there are easier ways of working this out, especially with someone who knows all the details.

Punaxe
10-03-09, 14:51
That's not what she's asking, though. She's asking if she can basically get the Internet for free, when it would be easier to get the Internet from an ISP.

No, she's asking for a solution without "an extra price each month"... So that could be dial-up, which doesn't have a monthly fee, but a pay-per-minute thing.

Angelus
10-03-09, 14:54
No, she's asking for a solution without "an extra price each month"... So that could be dial-up, which doesn't have a monthly fee, but a pay-per-minute thing.

I had dial up years ago and it was a monthly bill...

Punaxe
10-03-09, 14:57

Oh, I guess there are differences then, dial-up for me was just the telephone line's costs.

disneyprincess20
10-03-09, 15:03

Was that with BT? I just had to pay for an extra phone line. I thought the dial-up bit was free (maybe it was just included in the bill)....

Angelus
10-03-09, 15:05
Was that with BT? I just had to pay for an extra phone line. I thought the dial-up bit was free (maybe it was just included in the bill)....

Telewest, I think.

disneyprincess20
10-03-09, 15:12
I think they were a cable company. That'd be why you paid more (I think. I'm probably wrong and fully prepared to be proven so!).

Angelus
10-03-09, 15:13
I think they were a cable company. That'd be why you paid more (I think. I'm probably wrong and fully prepared to be proven so!).

Nah, you're probably right. :p

Titanium
10-03-09, 15:28
The easiest solution would be just to get the internet from an ISP. Yes you have to pay but broadband is super cheap nowadays.

Alternatively you can try pay as you go mobile broadband.

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/pay-as-you-go-broadband.html

irjudd
10-03-09, 15:36
^as irjudd said... there are areas that provide free dialup - but its only free to you if its a local call. Have you googled for "free dialup in [your location]"?
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the county in Michigan I used to live in, which has free wireless internet across the entire county at a speed of 1.5 megabits per second. You just have to have a wireless card to pick up the signal.

spikejones
10-03-09, 17:08
an ISP doesn't have to have a fee - but they generally will charge you for it because they know you want the service. In fact, the only way you could really get on the internet is through an ISP of some sort or another. ISP, incase you are not aware, means Internet Service Provider. The name does not mean "we give you internet access for a fee" take a look at www.nocharge.com (http://www.nocharge.com) . They are a free ISP located in Washington state. Lets also look at verizon wireless. They charge for access using their dongles and air cards, but you can still get on the internet using a cell phone without paying for the service. In all actuality, it is dialup internet going to the number #777 and being authenticated by programming in the phone in the form of username = yourphonenumber@vzw.3g.com password = vzw. Their network is connected to the internet, and has to be in order for SMS and MMS (texting a pix/flix/audio messages) to work. I can still use the same cell phone as a dial modem to connect to the nocharge ISP for free as well (actually getting billed for minutes of the phone call - but this is irrelevant during nights and weekends). There's many ways to get on the internet through an ISP for free. Some of them more legal than others though. Don't forget you can always take your wifi capable laptop to a local "hot spot" such as a coffee shop or restaurant (we have quite a few in my area that are like this) There is also the fact that you can go to the local library and get online for about an hour everyday, for free.
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the county in Michigan I used to live in, which has free wireless internet across the entire county at a speed of 1.5 megabits per second. You just have to have a wireless card to pick up the signal.
I was never aware of this

irjudd
10-03-09, 17:16
Taken from a FAQ:Wireless Oakland is an initiative launched by County Executive L. Brooks Patterson that consists of three goals (http://www.oakgov.com/wireless/about/index.html). The first goal is to blanket the County's 910 square miles with wireless internet service, with a portion of bandwidth available for free to every person in Oakland County. The second goal will directly address the "digital-divide" that exists within Oakland County and provide low-cost or no-cost PC's and technology training to vulnerable population groups. Finally, the third goal of the initiative will develop a Telecommunication and Technology Planning Toolkit for Local Governments that supports continued high-tech investments in local government and promotes the integration of those investments with local community character and quality of life.

spikejones
10-03-09, 17:32
you know... come to think of it... if that technology is standard wifi (802.11 a/b/g/n) then technically everyone (or 254 people generally speaking, if it uses class C IP addressing) would in effect be on the same WLAN, leaving PC's very vulnerable to attack. In such cases, it is prudent to have firewalls locked down on every machine, elsewise... use at least one home wireless router in conjunction with a either a wired or wireless NAT router to create an ESS (http://www.birds-eye.net/definition/e/ess-extended_service_set.shtml) within your home, but keep your bit of the network as private and secure.