PDA

View Full Version : Trashy books amnesty!

Voni
10-03-09, 11:02
I just read this article on the BBC news site, about the books we love but are too ashamed to admit to reading: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7926004.stm

What about you lot? Is there anything you love reading but you know is pure trash? Out with it! :p Personally, I'll devour anything by Stephen King or Terry Pratchett (I know, it seems a travesty to describe his work as 'trash', but I'm going by the guidelines set by the article).

disneyprincess20
10-03-09, 11:14
:pi:

Star Wars novels, Mills and Boon (the earlier stuff, not the more recent American stuff), Warhammer 40K codexs. I'm also partial to a bit of Phillippa Gregory, bodice-ripping romances. It's nowhere near historically accurate but it's fun to read.

*runs and hides*

Voni
10-03-09, 11:24
That reminds me, I've read all the Resident Evil books and loved them! :cln:

disneyprincess20
10-03-09, 11:29
Oh yeah, I've read most of them. I haven't read Caliban Cove, but most of the others.

Anne Boleyn
10-03-09, 12:00
I'll admit to having read all the Resident Evil books too, and constantly wishing that the damned films had used the books as a screenplay! As an aside, has anyone noticed how often S.D. Perry uses '--' in her writing? A sort of elongated dash? If not, pick up any novel and you WILL see it at least twice on EVERY page! Seriously! Once you notice it you can't UN-notice it ;)

Re: Phillippa Gregory, I wouldn't touch her 'historical' books with a barge pole after the hatchet job she did with 'The Other Boleyn Girl'. Unbelievably innacurate, totally licentious and unnecessarily puerile. Anne Boleyn would be spinning in her grave. I wouldn't mind so much if Ms Gregory didn't continually misinform people in interviews that she is a historian and everything she has written is utterly factual. A lying hack!

CerebralAssassin
10-03-09, 19:05
Stephen King ain't trashy!!:smk: he rules!!:D

laralover_07
10-03-09, 19:07
The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

The Torchwood Novels.

Tomb Raider Movie Novel Adaptation.

TRhalloween
10-03-09, 19:51
Somebody mentioned Mick Foley.

That rules.

jjbennett
10-03-09, 20:36
:pi:

Star Wars novels, Mills and Boon (the earlier stuff, not the more recent American stuff), Warhammer 40K codexs. I'm also partial to a bit of Phillippa Gregory, bodice-ripping romances. It's nowhere near historically accurate but it's fun to read.

*runs and hides*
You surprise me with the 40k stuff :) I will happily read them though as well as i used to be into warhammer big time, i love the novels though, but models now make me cringe. Saying that i do still paint the odd one to a high standard.

Trashy books? I read what would be called "man crap" - unless theres an explosion, a gun or a fighter jet on the front i'll pass. I am partial to Indiana Jones styles adventures. Nothing I'd hide from people visting though.

Biddy
10-03-09, 20:40
Sugar Rush by Julie Something. Honestly the book was as a whole sloppily written, and was trying a bit too hard with the wittiness, however I enjoyed it. :o

p.s, I love Terry Pratchett!

Anne Boleyn
11-03-09, 01:23
I guess I'd consider Clive Cussler novels a guilty pleasure. They're brash, they're over-the-top, they're full of ridiculous situations and escapes from the jaws of death; they're populated with wise-cracking heroes and cardboard-cutout megalomaniacal villains.

I love them!

disneyprincess20
11-03-09, 09:11
Re: Phillippa Gregory, I wouldn't touch her 'historical' books with a barge pole after the hatchet job she did with 'The Other Boleyn Girl'. Unbelievably innacurate, totally licentious and unnecessarily puerile. Anne Boleyn would be spinning in her grave. I wouldn't mind so much if Ms Gregory didn't continually misinform people in interviews that she is a historian and everything she has written is utterly factual. A lying hack!

Oh yeah she's terrible, Jean Plaidy is much more accurate than her. I don't think of her as being historically accurate (even though she sells her work that way), I think of her work in a similar way to the movie 300: it's loosely based on fact, but the story is made up. I just like all the romantic, heaving bosom-type writing. It's trashy but fun!

You surprise me with the 40k stuff :) I will happily read them though as well as i used to be into warhammer big time, i love the novels though, but models now make me cringe. Saying that i do still paint the odd one to a high standard.

I made the mistake of buying the Assault on Black Reach boxset for my fiance for Christmas, so now I've got to paint my own Ork army! I wanted to know about the army (and tribe, I'm going for Evil Sunz, 'cause I like red!) I'm going to have to paint and they're pretty interesting, and written really well. I've bought him a couple of Dan Abnett books and he's pretty happy with them, especially the Gaunt's Ghosts books. He's got Titanicus to read at some point.

Voni
11-03-09, 10:12
Stephen King ain't trashy!!:smk: he rules!!:D

Lol I know, the only book of his that I didn't like was Dreamcatcher, everything else is made of win!