PDA

View Full Version : best Jobs

TR love
10-03-09, 11:41
Ok so this is both a curiosity question and i question that relates to myself.

Me and my friend are looking for a job. And in this small town theres little to offer. so, whats the best job. (in a poll maybe?) Thier simple because well...its like, after school jobs.
in your experience whats the best? funnest? you can get the best out of? help!!

1.Checkout Chicks
2.Waitress
3.Person who works at the tourist center and gives out candy
4.library worker
5.working in the gym (im assuming cleaning up sweat and stuff but hey, my friend suggested it. Much to my horror)
6.other (and what that other happens to be)

irjudd
10-03-09, 12:30
I'd take a Library first from your list. Quiet, climate controlled.

CerebralAssassin
10-03-09, 12:44
from experience,the funnest job I've ever had was a library worker

EgyptianSoul
10-03-09, 12:47
I've worked in a library before and it was such a boring place I started to steal books, pens, everything I could get my hands on just to compensate the fact it was a ****ty job.

Oh course, this was a summer job as a teenager. :mis:

Punaxe
10-03-09, 12:49
Most people here just go to a supermarket. It's not that bad.

I've worked in a library before and it was such a boring place I started to steal books, pens, everything I could get my hands on just to compensate the fact it was a ****ty job.

Oh course, this was a summer job as a teenager. :mis:

... what did you say your name, address and social security number were again? :pi:

EgyptianSoul
10-03-09, 12:52
... what did you say your name, address and social security number were again? :pi:

Oh I've payed for my crimes. :cool: So what. Nobody's a saint.

disneyprincess20
10-03-09, 12:58
As a proof-reader and editor, I am appalled but the standard of English in this thread. It's "most fun", not "funnest". Shame on you!! :D

Personally, I always liked babysitting. It sucked up my social life, but there was free food, a quiet place to study and usualy good TV. Also babysitting around Christmas paid really well. From there I moved on to house-sitting, and that's even better!

spikejones
10-03-09, 13:34
6.other (and what that other happens to be)
a job that requires doing something you enjoy. are you an outdoor loving person? get a job that requires being outside - like landscaping.
do you like to work on computers - get a job fixing computers.

etc..

but probably the easiest jobs to get would be as a cashier or server - most places are always lacking in those areas.

irjudd
10-03-09, 14:41
As a proof-reader and editor, I am appalled but the standard of English in this thread. It's "most fun", not "funnest". Shame on you!! :D
But talking with some bad grammar is funner! :mis:

... not really.

disneyprincess20
10-03-09, 14:47
But talking with some bad grammar is funner! :mis:

... not really.

Damn you and your bad grammar!

Now write this out 10 times:

Learning good grammar is fun.

:smk:

That said, UCL's very own grammar guide (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/) certainly has a stupid name...

Immortalis08
10-03-09, 14:57
I work at a library now. It is excruciating and mind-numbingly boring and a part of my soul dies every time I am in there. At least in the children's section. The other sections are like my small little forts of solitude. So it depends on what section you work.

Of course, since it is so quiet and routine the smallest things have me giggling. Of course since it is a public library you have creeps hitting on the children, homeless bums threatening to kill you, male prostitutes wearing silver stilettos, creeps pleasuring themselves on the computer by looking up well you know what. Not to mention getting into arguments with patrons so far up theirs that they believe you should bow to them...and this is actually on the more wealthy side of town ironically.

On second thought yeah, the Library is actually pretty interesting :D

SamReeves
10-03-09, 15:05
Working in education was the most fun for me. I ran the day to day operations of the college's photolab, teached a lot, and met lots of nice people.

violentblossom
10-03-09, 15:18
Waiting tables can be really fun. Its fast paced, you get to meet interesting people, and, if you know what you're doing, you can make alot of fast money.

and you'd get paid EVERYDAY.

irjudd
10-03-09, 15:23
The only advice I usually give people who are curious about what line of work to go into from my own experience, is to stay out of the food industry. Restaurants, fast food, whatever. It's one field I'll never ever go back into.

CerebralAssassin
10-03-09, 15:26
The only advice I usually give people who are curious about what line of work to go into from my own experience, is to stay out of the food industry. Restaurants, fast food, whatever. It's one field I'll never ever go back into.

oh yes I second this....

I was once a dishwasher for one day....I quit on the same day lol!!!:D

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-03-09, 15:41
Probably library, because it's much more relaxed. If you're a cashier or waitress, be prepared to be busy, busy, busy nonstop! I used to work at Red Lobster, and it was so stressful, I quit after just a month. Not my cup of tea, at all. I've been working at Best Buy for 7 months now, and am still there. I started off as a cashier, and again, stressful. I've since moved up and am at customer service, but tbh, it's not much better, because now I have to deal with angry customers every single day. Which I'm actually glad for the experience, because I've learned to be much more assertive now. :p

Anyway, I still am not content with my job, I have an Associate Degree, so I feel like I can do better. I'm getting paid really well here, but in the future, I'll definitely need something else. Preferably not working with customers. I have social skills and do just fine; however, I don't like working with people, even though I'm skilled at it. I'd rather just do something like art or website related. It's a job and I'm providing a service, but not talking to hundreds of people everyday. I'd rather be left alone.

CerebralAssassin
10-03-09, 15:47
I work at a library now. It is excruciating and mind-numbingly boring and a part of my soul dies every time I am in there. At least in the children's section. The other sections are like my small little forts of solitude. So it depends on what section you work.

Of course, since it is so quiet and routine the smallest things have me giggling. Of course since it is a public library you have creeps hitting on the children, homeless bums threatening to kill you, male prostitutes wearing silver stilettos, creeps pleasuring themselves on the computer by looking up well you know what. Not to mention getting into arguments with patrons so far up theirs that they believe you should bow to them...and this is actually on the more wealthy side of town ironically.

On second thought yeah, the Library is actually pretty interesting :D

...ouch...

well...working in a university library is much better than working in a public one...you get better folk there!!:D

spikejones
10-03-09, 15:49
bad XP there? It's what I've been in more than anything else. No gripes about it with me. Only reason I shied away from it for a couple years is that I was trying to avoid working around alcohol while I was still fresh in recovery. I think I can handle it now.

irjudd
10-03-09, 16:00
bad XP there? It's what I've been in more than anything else. No gripes about it with me. Only reason I shied away from it for a couple years is that I was trying to avoid working around alcohol while I was still fresh in recovery. I think I can handle it now.
The summers are unbearable in the kitchen. And in the lobby, people are the biggest stupid jerks when they're hungry.

disneyprincess20
10-03-09, 16:03
The summers are unbearable in the kitchen. And in the lobby, people are the biggest stupid jerks when they're hungry.

Not to mention stupid owners. I'm not saying every restaurant owner is stupid, I'm just saying some are really stupid. They put me off waitressing for life.

spikejones
10-03-09, 16:41
well... there's negative aspects to all jobs really. I see Mel said she couldn't stand being a server, but she started being a cashier at Best Buy and it was stressful, then she moved on to CS - and it is still stressful. There's almost always going to be some stress or "unbearable conditions" in any work place. When I was driving a forklift for future foam, loading buns of foam onto trailers - it was fun as hell and I didn't have to interact with customers very much, but it could be stressful when you have 20 trucks that need to be sent out YESTERDAY. But.. some people fall apart under stress, others use it as fuel to do better. Not to sound cocky, but when I got into stressful situations at work it gave me fuel to do three trucks in the time it would normally take to do one! I was a speed demon on the fork lift :mis: Its technically not allowed by plant regulations, but gosh darnit - I do what it takes to do the job (including driving a lift with no brakes - I'll just use reverse to stop myself). Just keep an eye out for the safety officer and everything is kosher :vlol:

anyhow... the key is to find your niche where you are enjoying what you do despite the negative aspects of the job.

touchthesky
10-03-09, 20:43
I guess it all comes down to personal preference, so I'll tell ye what I prefer.

I worked in a food place and I absolutely HATED it. I was serving the food, and preparing it (not cooking.) It was absolutely appalling. Partly due to the people, partly due to the crappy hours/breaks, partly due to the manager and her bullying, and partly to do with the fact that it was the same thing over and over again. I left, eventually, when I found another job..

I currently work as a carer in a residential home..I love it. Different aspects of the job bring different rewards.

What I personally would recommend for you is a job in such a setting! You could ask around and see if they would pay you for a few hours after school doing the things that NEED doing (perhaps not care if you're not old enough or comfortable enough for that, but trust me, the things that are often put aside as the "lazy/easy jobs" make it possible for everyone to work alongside each other better) such as speaking with the residents (they really like that, a lot of old folk don't get visitors very often and a friendly familiar face is always a boost for them, since staff don't always have a lot of time to sit and chat), activities, cleaning, dishing out food...the list is endless.

It's just a suggestion and I appreciate if it's nothing like anything you're interested in =P.

knightgames
10-03-09, 20:59
They have jobs that let you check out chicks? Climate controlled or not I'm for that job!!!!!

spikejones
10-03-09, 21:01
partly to do with the fact that it was the same thing over and over again
every job requires that no doubt - everyone has a particular role to play, and play it over and over again they must. you may not look at your current job in such a way at a glance, but I'm pretty sure you are doing the same task over and over again, but with different variables - ie.. the people, the places, etc. But when it all comes down to it, its still the same basic task again and again. So once again it comes down to whether you like doing that task or not. If you don't like doing it very much, its not the job for you (but sometimes you gotta take that job you don't want). Me... I like cooking, I like greeting guests and showing them to their tables, finding out what they want to drink and either relaying that to the server or doing it myself, I like making sure the dishes are set properly and not missing anything, there's lots of things that I like about the food service industry - and there are of course things I don't like about it. I don't necessarily enjoy washing dishes for hours on end, but I did it for an entire summer as my first job. I bought the surfboard you see in my avatar with that money (as well as other things). Doing things you don't like doing, and sticking with it even when **** gets piled around your ears will have its rewards. And it builds character.

Lavinder
10-03-09, 21:18
I had the sudden urge to say something very rude when I read this thread title... :pi:

CerebralAssassin
10-03-09, 21:33
They have jobs that let you check out chicks? Climate controlled or not I'm for that job!!!!!

o_0?

I sincerely hope you are kidding...

stranger1992
10-03-09, 21:33
^^ working at Eidos's Pr department? :P

jamieoliver22
10-03-09, 21:41
To be honest, any job that you enjoy doing and get a decent pay are good jobs.

I had the sudden urge to say something very rude when I read this thread title... :pi:

You would do... You are a good client.

spikejones
10-03-09, 21:56
now I'm interested :cln:

rowanlim
11-03-09, 01:50
I'd take a Library first from your list. Quiet, climate controlled.

Me too, I love the smell & feel of books :D

silver_wolf
11-03-09, 02:09
well, waitresses make a heck of a lot of money. library would be nice, though. very peaceful.

TR love
11-03-09, 06:03
Thanks guys this actually was alot of help!

Ill be sure to write down a list and run it by my friend!

(BTW: sorry for my bad grammer. Im a slang person hehe :D)