PDA

View Full Version : What are we drinking?

spikejones
12-03-09, 01:46
An interesting situation has come to my attention here as of late. Apparently, our water supply not only contains chlorine (to keep it "sanitary") but also another interesting chemical - AMMONIA. This is something I have been entirely unaware of my entire life until now. We noticed recently that the city water supply tasted a bit odd, as if something had been added to it. Most evident was when we made our morning coffee it tasted like soap. Anyhow.. mom made a call to the city and found out that nothing was added, but that the ammonia had been removed as is mandated to occur for a specific period of time every year by federal law. The reason the ammonia is added to the water is apparently to neutralize the smell and taste of the chlorine additive. Last year, the federal mandate was waived due to the drought, and as such the time frame was expanded this year - making it evident that something was amiss. I was surprised to learn that I have been unknowingly drinking a poisonous chemical my entire life :eek:

da tomb raider!
12-03-09, 01:51
I don't think I need to worry about this, since I've been drinking bottled mineral water since I was was a kid...

silver_wolf
12-03-09, 01:51
well, I'm not dead yet, so...

violentblossom
12-03-09, 01:52
yeah.. where i live, they told us not to drink the water because its full of AMOEBAS. wtf?!

AmericanAssassin
12-03-09, 01:57
I only drink bottled water, to be perfectly honest. So, I guess I'm safe. :D

MattTR
12-03-09, 01:57
Yep.. and did you guys know that most of the bottled water we drink is actually Public Tap Water. It's disguisting.. :(

AmericanAssassin
12-03-09, 01:58
Yep.. and did you guys know that most of the bottled water we drink is actually Public Tap Water. It's disguisting.. :(

Even big brands like Dasani or Aquafina? :confused: They're both delicious...

Neteru
12-03-09, 01:59
yeah.. where i live, they told us not to drink the water because its full of AMOEBAS. wtf?!

:vlol:

I always filter my water as I've always been able to smell the chlorine in it here, with various water authorities.

violentblossom
12-03-09, 02:00

I always filter my water as I've always been able to smell the chlorine in it here, with various water authorities.

lol, we just buy it now. :p

da tomb raider!
12-03-09, 02:03

Pretty nasty, eh? Thankfully this isn't the case for me (unless they've been lying to me about it being mineral water :yik: ).

Immortalis08
12-03-09, 02:13

Aquafina is no better than tap water. There was a controversy about it recently.

My preferred brands are SmartWater and Fiji. You can actually taste the difference.

silver_wolf
12-03-09, 02:13
:vlol: is tap water like teh devil or something? I've been drinking it my whole life and I'm fine! I don't even like bottled water, it tastes too bitter. Personally I think it's a scam.

Immortalis08
12-03-09, 02:14
:vlol: is tap water like teh devil or something? I've been drinking it my whole life and I'm fine! I don't even like bottled water, it tastes too bitter. Personally I think it's a scam.

I don't prefer tap water, however I am not opposed to it either. Just not in Mexico. That tap water comes out brown occasionally.

spikejones
12-03-09, 02:19
Pretty nasty, eh? Thankfully this isn't the case for me (unless they've been lying to me about it being mineral water :yik: ).
there's been articles and such saying that the majority of bottled water you buy is basically "purified" (by chemical process) tap water. that even includes the ones that are labeled as so called "spring water" - aquafina, dasani, grocery store brand etc..
I don't prefer tap water, however I am not opposed to it either. Just not in Mexico. That tap water comes out brown occasionally.
When I lived at the beach our tap water would turn dishes brown :rolleyes:

AmericanAssassin
12-03-09, 02:21
Aquafina is no better than tap water. There was a controversy about it recently.

My preferred brands are SmartWater and Fiji. You can actually taste the difference.

What about Dasani? It's, by far, my favorite water. Although, I've never had SW or Fiji...

silver_wolf
12-03-09, 02:22
yeah, I wouldn't drink Mexican tap water if you paid me.

spikejones
12-03-09, 02:23
What about Dasani? It's, by far, my favorite water. Although, I've never had SW or Fiji...
look right above your post ;)

patriots88888
12-03-09, 02:25
They add flouride to the tap water here where I live, so it's not all bad things! I would say it's a 40%/60% ratio of bottled to tap that I drink.

Carbonek_0051
12-03-09, 02:46
My preferred brands are SmartWater and Fiji. You can actually taste the difference. If I drink bottled water those are my preferred brands as well.:tmb:

I drink almost nothing but tap water, I have been doing it since I was a kid. I agree that most bottled water tastes bitter. Only time I drink it is when I am on a long trip and there is no tap water while sitting in the back of a car.:p

irjudd
12-03-09, 02:59
Bottled water is a waste of money.

Buy a water filtration system for your home, and your water will be better than any silly namebrand water.

spikejones
12-03-09, 03:26
^yeah... I think we have a filter system for our water dispenser on the fridgerfrator - I can taste a difference between that and the tap stuff.

EmeraldFields
12-03-09, 03:28
I buy distilled water from a local place in town.

MattTR
12-03-09, 03:32

Yep, just look on the side, you'll notice the letters: "PWS", which means Public Water Source.

spikejones
12-03-09, 03:52
I buy distilled water from a local place in town.
this IMO is the best way to actually clean your drinking water (from a natural source that is) - instead of using a chemical filter system.

AmericanAssassin
12-03-09, 05:17
Yep, just look on the side, you'll notice the letters: "PWS", which means Public Water Source.

Oh, well... I like it because it tastes different. It's sooooo refreshing. :)

Punaxe
12-03-09, 06:55
Depending on where you live, tap water will actually be your best bet. Tap water is regulated by important institutions that make sure the water is the healthiest possible. At least, that's how it is in the Netherlands. Tap water here is much more healthy than any kind of bottled water.

rowanlim
12-03-09, 08:58
It depends on the effectiveness of the water treatment to reduce the level of contaminants in the water we drink.

I've been drinking boiled tap water for the past 3 yrs at uni since bottled water is not much different & expensive. As long as it's not cloudy or smells metallic (rust), I'm good.

Ikas90
12-03-09, 09:28
The tap water here is pretty safe to drink. They do add fluorite to it, but it's not as bad as ammonia or chlorine. I did have a water bottle full of chlorine one day at school though. No idea how it happened; I'm guessing my sister filled it up from the pool. It was disgusting.

Drone
12-03-09, 09:33
They add flouride to the tap water here where I live, so it's not all bad things!

same here. flouride is more active halogen than Cl, hence more effective.

Anyway I drink boiled water only.

And there are some good tips how to improve its taste

http://www.epa.gov/OGWDW/faq/emerg.html

viper456
12-03-09, 09:39

lmao this is why I keep the bottled water to myself and make sure my brother gets the tap water!

Neteru
12-03-09, 09:58
Aww, familial love. It's so touching. *Sniffs*

Sedge
12-03-09, 10:07
Depending on where you live, tap water will actually be your best bet. Tap water is regulated by important institutions that make sure the water is the healthiest possible. At least, that's how it is in the Netherlands. Tap water here is much more healthy than any kind of bottled water.
Hmm, same in Finland (there may be some slight difference in taste depending on where one lives, but it's all good). I've never even drunk bottled water to be honest, it's expensive anyway and no one I know would buy it on a regular basis.. But sure, not everyone is as lucky with their resources, unfortunately. o_

tombraiderluka
12-03-09, 10:27
I usually drink Evian, but sometimes I drink ordinary water xD
I guess I won't anymore, but it doesn't have the be the same for all the countries, right? :confused:

Punaxe
12-03-09, 10:50
Hmm, same in Finland (there may be some slight difference in taste depending on where one lives, but it's all good). I've never even drunk bottled water to be honest, it's expensive anyway and no one I know would buy it on a regular basis.. But sure, not everyone is as lucky with their resources, unfortunately. o_

I like the taste of bottled water like Spa once in a while, but fact is that it is less healthy than the tap water - at least in our countries. The chemicals they put in are to our benefit.

The tap water here is pretty safe to drink. They do add fluorite to it, but it's not as bad as ammonia or chlorine. I did have a water bottle full of chlorine one day at school though. No idea how it happened; I'm guessing my sister filled it up from the pool. It was disgusting.

(Emphasis mine.) Fluoridation of the water for example is good for our teeth.

Ikas90
12-03-09, 11:10
(Emphasis mine.) Fluoridation of the water for example is good for our teeth.

But it's not good to consume (from what I've heard). You always spit out the water after brushing your teeth (fluorite is in toothpaste).

Drone
12-03-09, 11:13
Fluoride destroyes skin, it even corrodes pipes :wve:

jjbennett
12-03-09, 12:20
A lot of the US and UK has flouridation systems and people don't know about it. The water companies just pump it into the supply because "its good to have flouride" (prevents tooth decay etc)

The thing is no one really can gauge the effects of it over time. Its good to check with your local council websites to see - it's a main contributor to water taste as well.

I drink a lot of water but it's all from the tap. I also have beer on tap but thats a completely different kettle of fish.

MiCkiZ88
12-03-09, 12:26
The very same in Finland, and I can't really taste a difference between the tap water in The Hague or in my last place of residence in Finland. The best tap water I've tasted was back in Kemi. Natural spring water. Tasted far better than bottled water.

jjbennett
12-03-09, 12:29
Switzerland has good water, *i think* with little or no addatives - this from someone who's been to quite a few european countries.

SoulReaver74
12-03-09, 13:10
From what you've said i think from now on i will filter all my water, but to be honest i've been drinking tap water for years and it's never done me any harm, well not yet anyway.:(

Drone
12-03-09, 13:45
From what you've said i think from now on i will filter all my water, but to be honest i've been drinking tap water for years and it's never done me any harm, well not yet anyway.:(

I'd like to filter tap water aswel. Unfortunately good filters are too expensive and they don't last long

SoulReaver74
12-03-09, 14:41
I'd like to filter tap water aswel. Unfortunately good filters are too expensive and they don't last long

Very true, when i used to filter my water years ago i always remember what an inconvenience it was when you run out and had to refill and wait what seems an absolute age until it's filtered:mad:

Mr.Burns
12-03-09, 14:46
They add flouride to the tap water here where I live, so it's not all bad things! I would say it's a 40%/60% ratio of bottled to tap that I drink.

I have a coworker who is convinced the fluoride is being put into the water to pacify the population as a means for the government to gain more control over us. I'm not joking and neither is he. :pi:

violentblossom
12-03-09, 14:47
I have a coworker who is convinced the fluoride is being put into the water to pacify the population as a means for the government to gain more control over us. I'm not joking and neither is he. :pi:

oh LORD.

why am i not suprised? lol. i don't think that's true...

Carbonek_0051
12-03-09, 14:48

What is he drinking?:vlol:

And where can I access it.:mis:

Goose
12-03-09, 14:54

Must be exciting living in his world!

Mr.Burns
12-03-09, 14:55
Well, he's a bit of a conspiracy theorist so there ya go. :p There is some safety concerns with fluoride in the water as seen in the safety section of this entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoridation

@Goose: Yea, bit of an extremist in some things.

Punaxe
12-03-09, 14:58
A lot of the US and UK has flouridation systems and people don't know about it. The water companies just pump it into the supply because "its good to have flouride" (prevents tooth decay etc)

The thing is no one really can gauge the effects of it over time. Its good to check with your local council websites to see - it's a main contributor to water taste as well.

I drink a lot of water but it's all from the tap. I also have beer on tap but thats a completely different kettle of fish.

They have been doing it for decades, I'm pretty sure they will have gauged the effects of it over time. I read there is only one potential side-effect in a small part of the population, which nobody considers to be a problem. It of course also depends on the dosage. I trust that it has not been done for so long if there was a problem with it. :)

Fish.
12-03-09, 15:09
I've always preferred bottled water anyways, the tap water here tastes funny. :o

violentblossom
12-03-09, 15:23
I've always preferred bottled water anyways, the tap water here tastes funny. :o

GOD, why do us sounthern states always have such bad water?!

irjudd
12-03-09, 15:31
GOD, why do us sounthern states always have such bad water?!
Try the sulfur water in northern Ohio ;)

violentblossom
12-03-09, 15:32
Try the sulfur water in northern Ohio ;)

sounds dee-lish-us. :(

irjudd
12-03-09, 15:36
sounds dee-lish-us. :(
Although I find my current city water to be just fine (in a southern state no less!), compared to my well water at my previous home which was rusty.

violentblossom
12-03-09, 15:40
what did you do? did you have to bathe in the stuff? i'm sorry. :(

irjudd
12-03-09, 15:41
Well I spent 10 years on that water, so I got over it ;)

Seb_01225
12-03-09, 15:47
I always filter my water. makes it taste better.

Larapink
12-03-09, 19:25
In have a Brita water filter, in my room here it saves money instead of buying bottled water all the time.

Also saves me from running to the Kitchen everytime I want a glass of water.

Trigger_happy
12-03-09, 19:28
Never had a problem with tap water- in fact, I think it tastes nicer than bottled water.

loser66
12-03-09, 19:55
Soda!!!

jk. Sometimes I drink bottled water, but mostly tap water. Don't really care about the difference.

sandygrimm
12-03-09, 20:05
I don't drink but low calcium bottled flat water.
My doctor advised me, and all his patients, to switch the type of water they drink, and not stay with the same water.

ajrich17901
12-03-09, 20:07
I have a filter for my tap, so i guess this doesnt apply to me lol. And yes Bottled water is a big waste of money.

Ward Dragon
12-03-09, 20:08
I always drink the tap water here at home. When I was at college the tap water was nasty, though. They had some trouble with a pipe breaking or something so occasionally the water came out brown and it always had as much chlorine as a swimming pool XD I ended up getting a Brita pitcher which filtered the water and removed the chlorine so I could drink the water without gagging.

Biddy
12-03-09, 20:39
All this water talk is making me thirsty.

oocladableeblah
12-03-09, 20:48
I usually drink tap water, but I have a filter.
I'll usually only drink bottled when I am out of the house.

peeves
12-03-09, 23:48
I drink bottled spring water from the store