PDA

View Full Version : Amazon or Ebay?

Mary Croft
12-03-09, 13:18
Hey, I wanna have a huge collection of TR stuff, like many of you....
So, I decided to buy stuff from the internet, but I don't know which is the best site, Amazon or Ebay?
In your post:
Say which is the best site and explain why.
Answer my questions:
Do they send stuff in Europe? (I live in Greece)
Most TR things are expensive or cheap?

(I know that I'm annoying, sorry!)

Thank you!!!

:hug::hug:

irjudd
12-03-09, 13:31
Both.

You need to monitor both sites to get the best deal.

Because sometimes one has better deals on something than the other.

Shipping is dependent on the seller.

MrBear
12-03-09, 13:35
Are you planning on buying PC or PS games? (Unless you're talking about merchandise.) If PS, remember to look for PAL versions, not NTSC. :) also, you may have to spend a lot of money on tariffs if you buy from North America (or similar places outside the EU); be sure to check "amazon.co.uk" and you'll avoid extra costs.

Marianna12
12-03-09, 13:47
Well, I was wondering the same thing...
I also want to have a huge collection. So, I became a member in amazon.co.uk
It's easy to use and it ships to Europe. The price depends on the item you want to buy. The classic games are extremely cheap (2 euros!).
Amazon.com has much more stuff than amazon.co.uk, but I don't think it ships to Europe.
I have tried Ebay, too. But, I don't know why, I couldn't understand many things...I think it's not that easy to use...
:D

irjudd
12-03-09, 13:48
I have tried Ebay, too. But, I don't know why, I couldn't understand many things...I think it's not that easy to use...
:D
You bid, you win, you pay, they ship. That's basically it ;)

Mary Croft
12-03-09, 13:50
Are you planning on buying PC or PS games? (Unless you're talking about merchandise.) If PS, remember to look for PAL versions, not NTSC. :) also, you may have to spend a lot of money on tariffs if you buy from North America (or similar places outside the EU); be sure to check "amazon.co.uk" and you'll avoid extra costs.

I'm planning on buying PC games, but I also want books, guides etc....

Thank you everyone! More replies, please? I need help!!!:(

Punaxe
12-03-09, 13:52
(...) Amazon.com has much more stuff than amazon.co.uk, but I don't think it ships to Europe. (...)

I'm pretty sure I got some books from Amazon.com once. I think it depends on the product if they'll ship or not. Shipping will also be more expensive. You can use your .co.uk login at .com as well, so you can just have a look.

Also...

Amazon: trusted, reliable
eBay: depends on seller

Amazon: default collection of stuff you can also get in the stores
eBay: often also has rare/unique stuff, old out-of-print things et cetera

Marianna12
12-03-09, 14:16
You bid, you win, you pay, they ship. That's basically it ;)

Oh, I hadn't seen the 'bid' button! (i found it now!)
Thanks!:p
(Stupid me!):hea:

touchthesky
12-03-09, 14:16
I would encourage you to try charity shops and local small comic book shops too! I have found such amazing stuff here...I recently got the Legend Xbox (not 360..just xbox) in Barnardos for 2.

:o

SoulReaver74
12-03-09, 14:26
I would encourage you to try charity shops and local small comic book shops too! I have found such amazing stuff here...I recently got the Legend Xbox (not 360..just xbox) in Barnardos for 2.

Your post rating should be changed from Relic to Bargin Hunter:D, but seriously great find, during the current credit crunch bargins like this are pure gold.

touchthesky
12-03-09, 14:29
Your post rating should be changed from Relic to Bargin Hunter:D, but seriously great find, during the current credit crunch bargins like this are pure gold.

Haha :).

I maybe shouldn't mention that I bought the Legend Strategy Guide for 1.99...brand new (it said preowned but their honestly..no marks whatsoever, not even a spine crease) from Game Station.

When I think of it..I got some stuff really cheap :S.

I am a bargain lover <3.

I actually just re-bought Tomb Raider 3 (didn't have the box for my other copy) from cash convertors for 1.00!They had TR2 as well but I left it..kicked myself later when it went though because it was the regular version, and I need that as I only have platinum :(!

SoulReaver74
12-03-09, 14:43
Haha :).

I maybe shouldn't mention that I bought the Legend Strategy Guide for 1.99...brand new (it said preowned but their honestly..no marks whatsoever, not even a spine crease) from Game Station.

When I think of it..I got some stuff really cheap :S.

I am a bargain lover <3.

I actually just re-bought Tomb Raider 3 (didn't have the box for my other copy) from cash convertors for 1.00!They had TR2 as well but I left it..kicked myself later when it went though because it was the regular version, and I need that as I only have platinum :(!

I think when the time comes to buy a new car or remorgage my flat "touchthesky" is who i will be thinking of to find me the best deal out there, you could save me serious dollar with your natural bargin hunting ability. :D

SamReeves
12-03-09, 15:14
eBay used to be the best. However since they changed the payment rules to use PayPal exclusively, there's been a lot of markup on the prices. So Amazon and eBay are about the same IMO.

Atlantisfreak666
12-03-09, 16:06
Amazon.

Punaxe
12-03-09, 16:44
eBay used to be the best. However since they changed the payment rules to use PayPal exclusively, there's been a lot of markup on the prices. So Amazon and eBay are about the same IMO.

I hate how Amazon doesn't accept PayPal. I heard it's suspected that they're devising their own PayPalesque, to-be-competing system, but I've not noticed much of it. In the meantime people are just being inconvenienced.

Marianna12
12-03-09, 16:53

Well, here in Greece TR isn't popular and there aren't many local shops with these stuff...
Sure, if you search a lot, you'll find everything you need! But, who is patient enough for that...;)

SamReeves
12-03-09, 17:52
I hate how Amazon doesn't accept PayPal. I heard it's suspected that they're devising their own PayPalesque, to-be-competing system, but I've not noticed much of it. In the meantime people are just being inconvenienced.

Remember, the sellers have to give a percentage to PayPal for each transaction, henceforth the markup on eBay. That's why I disliked it a lot, and would rather mail in a payment. It kept the prices lower.

TRfan23
12-03-09, 19:57
I don't trust Ebay.

But Amazon's great but it does have it's weaknesses. Like the Market sellers, hard to get a refund on them (If anything went wrong, with your products upon shipping...) in comparison to the amazon online store itself.

Joely-Moley
12-03-09, 20:13
My personal preference is Ebay. I've used both, but I love Ebay I get everything on there. I'm talking hundreds of items, and never once had a problem with any seller, always check the sellers feedback.

In fact I just bought Tomb Raider 3+4 together for PC brand new and sealed for 2.50 on there :)

Agent 47
12-03-09, 20:31
i bought most of my Trek figures on ebay plus boxes of Trading Cards.

i prefer Amazon, but ebay offers me the ability to get rare out of production Trek and other stuff :D

voltz
12-03-09, 20:46
When it comes to ebay I think some of the users are kinda fishy to deal with if they don't have 100%, but now with the neg ratings being nerfed, I'm finding it pretty hard to trust anyone unless you dealt with them before and put them on your favorite sellers list.

Agent 47
12-03-09, 21:04
When it comes to ebay I think some of the users are kinda fishy to deal with if they don't have 100%, but now with the neg ratings being nerfed, I'm finding it pretty hard to trust anyone unless you dealt with them before and put them on your favorite sellers list.

i always believed ebay was a conmans playground until i had no choice but to use the site. i was proved wrong in that not everyone is out to rob you :D however i only buy from people registered as a business with 100% feedback. i have bought from a private seller before though and i haven't had a problem yet. i do find US sellers highly reliable and they offer great shipping to UK (i import alot) :D

Voni
12-03-09, 21:05
I prefer Amazon because I can trust them more than a random seller on Ebay. They're pretty handy too, because they list brand new items and some second hand stuff going cheap. Play.co.uk is worth checking out too.

Ebay's fine, it's good for rare stuff, but I don't buy unless I can pay by cheque because Paypal, for me, has been a total nightmare to use.

voltz
12-03-09, 21:12
i always believed ebay was a conmans playground until i had no choice but to use the site. i was proved wrong in that not everyone is out to rob you :D however i only buy from people registered as a business with 100% feedback.

You're right to be dealing with people who do use the site as a business because any negative feedback or complaints can get their accounts suspended. While harsh, it keeps the honor system in check and you know you'll always get what you asked for.

When I last traded with someone who's score was less then perfect, I had a long waiting period up to about a month and found the product wasn't exactly in mint condition as it was listed. I would have put my rating for this as neutral, but I wanted to keep perfect score and the guy was holding out on rating my transaction in case he wanted to retaliate, so I decided to forget it.

Agent 47
12-03-09, 21:26
You're right to be dealing with people who do use the site as a business because any negative feedback or complaints can get their accounts suspended. While harsh, it keeps the honor system in check and you know you'll always get what you asked for.

When I last traded with someone who's score was less then perfect, I had a long waiting period up to about a month and found the product wasn't exactly in mint condition as it was listed. I would have put my rating for this as neutral, but I wanted to keep perfect score and the guy was holding out on rating my transaction in case he wanted to retaliate, so I decided to forget it.

so far i haven't had to give a negative feedback, i have the thought process of taking into account possible delays at the post office, :D

ah tit for tat? sadly you do get people who act childish with ratings :( sellers can't give buyers negative feedback anymore :D

voltz
12-03-09, 21:36
sellers can't give buyers negative feedback anymore :D

If only that was implemented earlier.

Agent 47
12-03-09, 21:43
If only that was implemented earlier.

i pay for goods within seconds of winning the bid or buy now option, i'm happy with my 100% :vlol:

there's rumbling going on that ebay will change it's business model and cut off the small fry. just keeping power sellers and sellers with good turnover. end up similar to Amazon. :(

Voni
12-03-09, 22:07
i pay for goods within seconds of winning the bid or buy now option, i'm happy with my 100% :vlol:

there's rumbling going on that ebay will change it's business model and cut off the small fry. just keeping power sellers and sellers with good turnover. end up similar to Amazon. :(

hen what would be the point of having eBay? Sounds a bit daft if you ask me.

MadCroy101
12-03-09, 22:12
I use both, and I think that they both work fine. :D

The_Underworld
12-03-09, 22:46
Both! :D

MattTR
13-03-09, 00:46
I've used both, but seem to find more used and interesting things like Tomb Raider mech on eBay.. so it all depends on what you're looking for. :tmb:

Kiss-Bite
13-03-09, 09:06
so far i haven't had to give a negative feedback, i have the thought process of taking into account possible delays at the post office, :D

ah tit for tat? sadly you do get people who act childish with ratings :( sellers can't give buyers negative feedback anymore :D

Really!? I didn't know this.:) I really don't like it when sellers don't leave you feedback even though you have paid straight away, waiting to see if you leave feedback. I always give feedback, I've never had to give negative feedback yet.

I've always had a good experience on ebay until recently a seller with 100% positive feedback flat out lied about the condition of an item. I was really disappointed as they seemed very genuine, honest & nice in their messages. However, when I received the item it wasn't sealed at all & was far from being new. :mad: I was furious, but to be fair they did offer a refund!

Apart from that I have always been happy with ebay, I love looking at all the things people are selling. On the whole I usually only buy from power sellers with good feedback. I would use Amazon but it never seems to accept my credit card, there is always an issue!:confused:

Agent 47
13-03-09, 10:59
Really!? I didn't know this.:) I really don't like it when sellers don't leave you feedback even though you have paid straight away, waiting to see if you leave feedback. I always give feedback, I've never had to give negative feedback yet.

I've always had a good experience on ebay until recently a seller with 100% positive feedback flat out lied about the condition of an item. I was really disappointed as they seemed very genuine, honest & nice in their messages. However, when I received the item it wasn't sealed at all & was far from being new. :mad: I was furious, but to be fair they did offer a refund!

Apart from that I have always been happy with ebay, I love looking at all the things people are selling. On the whole I usually only buy from power sellers with good feedback. I would use Amazon but it never seems to accept my credit card, there is always an issue!:confused:

yep the feedback system was changed awhile ago. yeah you do get the misadvertisement of goods :(

still, if it wasn't for ebay i wouldn't have the stuff i do now :D i always check Play & Amazon first though :jmp:

Encore
13-03-09, 11:05
It's diferent shops of course... I absolutely love eBay for things I have more trouble finding elsewhere... Like collectible dolls, hair dyes with crazy colours, hard to find DVDs, etc... I mostly use Amazon to buy video games, as they are incredibly cheap over there! Also I've bought some books there in the past.

For collectible stuff eBay is best, as for whether or not they ship to Europe it depends on the seller. Amazon.co.uk ships to all of Europe --> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=11072981

Kiss-Bite
13-03-09, 11:15
yep the feedback system was changed awhile ago. yeah you do get the misadvertisement of goods :(

still, if it wasn't for ebay i wouldn't have the stuff i do now :D i always check Play & Amazon first though :jmp:

Absolutely, I have got quite a few hard to find items via ebay.:D Plus I think ebay's Paypal service is great & convenient, I wish Amazon had a similar service.

disneyprincess20
13-03-09, 11:28
I don't have an eBay account any more, it was hacked and started sending out spam messages. I cancelled my PayPal straight away and when I went back to eBay to tell them that the account was mine and I would like the password reset because it's been hacked, they accused me of being the scammer because I used my google email address, not my hotmail (both have the same name before the @, but because they were from different websites I was the hacker apparently). I won't be opening another account with them any time soon. They're good for really rare stuff, but I'd rather stick with Amazon, which I think has a safer payment system than eBay.

Agent 47
13-03-09, 11:34
Absolutely, I have got quite a few hard to find items via ebay.:D Plus I think ebay's Paypal service is great & convenient, I wish Amazon had a similar service.

totally agree about Paypal. given i only have Visa Electron card Paypal is convenient :jmp:

also agree with hard to find stuff. thanks to ebay i now have an Enterprise NX-01 (production ceased on that model in 2002)) i found it at good price 14 sheets including postage :jmp:

but, Trading Cards are my passion and ebay is awesome for finding unopened display boxes :D