PDA

View Full Version : The World's Fastest and Most Innovative SSD

Drone
13-03-09, 10:09
Holy cow!

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/iodrive_duo_flat-24.jpg

Fusion-io announced today the ioDrive Duo, which is currently being touted as the fastest PCI Express, server-based solid-state storage solution available. The ioDrive Duo comes in the following capacities (160 Gbytes, 320 Gbytes, 640 Gbytes, 1.28 TB) with a transfer rate of 1.5 gigabytes per second

it's PCI express, no wonder it's so damn fast :eek:

http://hartware.de/press_10136.html

MyRaider4Life
13-03-09, 10:16
Christ! :yik:
That would cost a fortune.

Lavinder
13-03-09, 10:17
Yummy :).

Drone
13-03-09, 10:18
lol yup be sure

SoulReaver74
13-03-09, 13:04
By the god's that's some serious hardware.:D

irjudd
13-03-09, 13:11
Rumor has it that you can't boot from these drives :(

SoulReaver74
13-03-09, 13:31

It may appear that it has an Achilles heel, oh well nothing is perfect.. if the rumors are true.

Benguitar
13-03-09, 14:08
Tony Stark kind of drive! :cool:

1.5 GB per second?! How is that possible? I wish I could fit that into my laptop, but I can tell it is of rather large size and would have to be custom fitted into a desktop.

irjudd
13-03-09, 14:17
Tony Stark kind of drive! :cool:

1.5 GB per second?! How is that possible? I wish I could fit that into my laptop, but I can tell it is of rather large size and would have to be custom fitted into a desktop.
It's no larger than an average graphics card. It should fit into an ATX mid-tower case with no customizing needed.

But laptop. Yeah, no ;)

Biddy
13-03-09, 14:18
*fetches robbery tools*

don't mind me! heh...:cool:

spikejones
13-03-09, 15:19
BIOSes will need to be updated to support that feature it seems.
However, I'm not really caring about the drive speed so much as the capacity. Heck.. I'm still on IDE drives that are no larger than 40GB (which was a whopper of a drive when we first got this machine :vlol:)

irjudd
13-03-09, 15:21
I'm currently mixing PATA and SATA2 actually. I don't personally see a marked difference in loading times between the two. But there may be other factors at work.

Drone
13-03-09, 15:22
It may appear that it has an Achilles heel, oh well nothing is perfect.. if the rumors are true.

everything changes fast in this world. sooner or later this thing will be bootable. everything will go just like sata replaced pata

Trinity34
13-03-09, 15:43
hehe lets just hope the computers don't overload from the speed and blow up :p

Helegad
13-03-09, 15:53
1.5 gigs a second... wow... that'd help get the downloaded movies to all my friends in one class real eas- oops, did I say something?

spikejones
13-03-09, 16:06
everything will go just like sata replaced pata
try telling that to the butt loads of people who still use pata. I'm personally of the mind that I have a working drive with a working OS installed - I'd rather get a mobo with two IDE headers to connect my current stuff to - rather than deal with the hassle of cloning my drive to drop it on a new sata drive. Honestly.... I don't need more than about 70 GB. Between my 30 gig and 40 gig HDD's I've only ever filled the 30 gig drive twice - and immediately deleted a bunch of crap that never got used. I don't see why people need a freaking TB worth of storage on a home PC, unless they are stealing butt loads of crap off the net. Drives of that size are really only necessary for a server. But hey... if I ever had a TB drive - I would never buy another one in my life.

SamReeves
13-03-09, 16:09

LOL! Back to the drawing board.

irjudd
13-03-09, 16:10
try telling that to the butt loads of people who still use pata. I'm personally of the mind that I have a working drive with a working OS installed - I'd rather get a mobo with two IDE headers to connect my current stuff to - rather than deal with the hassle of cloning my drive to drop it on a new sata drive. Honestly.... I don't need more than about 70 GB. Between my 30 gig and 40 gig HDD's I've only ever filled the 30 gig drive twice - and immediately deleted a bunch of crap that never got used. I don't see why people need a freaking TB worth of storage on a home PC, unless they are stealing butt loads of crap off the net. Drives of that size are really only necessary for a server. But hey... if I ever had a TB drive - I would never buy another one in my life.
Ask a PC gamer, my friend :tmb:

I don't even have all of my game collection installed, and the running tally is around 150GB. With new games running averages of 10GB per title, 1TB doesn't seem so huge anymore.

spikejones
13-03-09, 16:11
Ask a PC gamer, my friend :tmb:

I don't even have all of my game collection installed, and the running tally is around 150GB. With new games running averages of 10GB per title, 1TB doesn't seem so huge anymore.
I usually only ever have one game installed at a time - and when I finish the game it gets uninstalled and the disc is thrown in a pile with the rest of them.

irjudd
13-03-09, 16:15
I usually only ever have one game installed at a time - and when I finish the game it gets uninstalled and the disc is thrown in a pile with the rest of them.
And that could be totally valid for lots of people. But for me, if I have a "sudden urge" to play a game, I really don't want to have to install it every time. It's much nicer to just have everything already there, defragmented, and waiting for action.

Drone
13-03-09, 16:15

I have two pcs. One of them is still on ide (80 gigs) and it satisfies me. I don't need 1 Tb at all. But I ain't gonna sit on it whole my life. I used to upgrade my machine once in five years and when I do I buy the latest.

Talking about capacity and velocity .... people didn't invent those things for home use only. did they? servers and other workstations might need highest speed, capacity and reliability. and modern data storage devices are more reliable with all that SMART thingies which prevent errors and other crap.

irjudd
13-03-09, 16:20
Anymore, the absolute minimum for a home PC in my experience is a 160GB disk. Case in point a new computer I built last week for my wife. She doesn't even play games beyond Sims 2, but once her personal files are all loaded up, 100GB had already been used. This is just pictures, documents and home videos. I personally am not comfortable unless the system has at least 30GB of free space.

spikejones
13-03-09, 16:31
well I guess it all depends on what you consider to be save worthy. I don't spend a great deal of time making documents or images etc.. Sure I've got some photos on the computer, and some videos, and some documents - but eventually those documents are no longer necessary and get blasted. the pictures usually just sit there neglected on the computer - they've all been printed out already. Nothing really needs to stay on the machine forever save the OS itself.

the hard drive on this particular machine is 37.2 GB - and has 8 GB free still

irjudd
13-03-09, 16:37
well I guess it all depends on what you consider to be save worthy. I don't spend a great deal of time making documents or images etc.. Sure I've got some photos on the computer, and some videos, and some documents - but eventually those documents are no longer necessary and get blasted. the pictures usually just sit there neglected on the computer - they've all been printed out already. Nothing really needs to stay on the machine forever save the OS itself.

the hard drive on this particular machine is 37.2 GB - and has 8 GB free still
And a lot depends on what you do with your machine. Take a creative pro like Quasimodo for example. I guarantee she would fill a 40GB drive in a couple days, and would not want to move her finished work off her machine every couple of days.

spikejones
13-03-09, 16:40
true... but you can paint with canvas as well :ton:

Drone
13-03-09, 16:44
anyway I'm not fond of keeping all my stuff on hd. I back it up as soon as I have time. I remember how my friend got a brand new hd put there all his stuff and after few days his hd "died in his hands".

Punaxe
13-03-09, 16:46
Back it up on DVD?

I have some old CD backups that can no longer be read by my drives... I backup to other HDs. :p

Drone
13-03-09, 16:50
not only dvds, tbh I am a fan rather of normal 700/800 mb cds (rw mostly). I update my projects and software and time after time I erase cds and rewrite them with updated info. takes some time tho.

irjudd
13-03-09, 16:51
I prefer to have a separate computer designated as a home server that I periodically backup my everyday usage computers to.

da tomb raider!
13-03-09, 18:12
I'm currently using about 10GB out of my 120GB hard drive, so I guess I don't need this. :p