PDA

View Full Version : Swiss zoo may euthanize a baby hippo!

SamReeves
13-03-09, 15:52
A Swiss Zoo is planning to euthanize a baby hippo if they can't find a taker from another zoo or refuge. They claim there's no existing room at the zoo where there's no neutering or spaying of their animals. Truly, what a bunch of boneheads who are in charge!!! I feel bad for the hippo. Read the story in the Wall Street Journal:

Swiss Zoo Has One Too Many Hippos, So Little Farasi May Have to Go (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123689895056312923.html)

Punaxe
13-03-09, 15:52
What do you suggest?

Drone
13-03-09, 15:55
why don't they bring hippo back to the promised land?

Melonie Tomb Raider
13-03-09, 15:58
What do you suggest?

Spaying and neautering their animals, if they can't have room for offspring, they shouldn't be killing them all off.

why don't they bring hippo back to the promised land?

Right on. :tmb:

It's animal cruelty when you don't have any form of prevention for these baby animals to be born, and then kill them because there is not enough room. How pathetic. :rolleyes:

Encore
13-03-09, 15:59
"It's so cute, there's no reason to kill it"

LOL... Oh wow, the logic in it!!! Yeah I guess if it was a baby white shark people would think diferent.. :p

touchthesky
13-03-09, 16:00
Hmm. They are apparently planning on putting down a hundreds of animals here at a nature reserve because the folk can't afford to own it any more.

Really hope that they manage to find a new buyer.

Drone
13-03-09, 16:00
Yeah I guess if it was a baby white shark people would think diferent.. :p

I would not

Punaxe
13-03-09, 16:02
Bringing the hippo to its natural environment would kill it much more cruelly. When there's no room, perhaps they should make sure no babies are made, by sterilizing their animals or so... But then when the old die, there won't be any animals anymore.

I think what's extraordinary here is not one zoo wanting to kill an animal, but other zoos not wanting to have a new animal.

violentblossom
13-03-09, 16:06
LOL... Oh wow, the logic in it!!! Yeah I guess if it was a baby white shark people would think diferent.. :p

oh, i'm pro shark. i'd save a shark's life just as much as a baby hippo.. i heard that in the next 20 years, 90% of the shark population will be gone.

Encore
13-03-09, 16:07
@Drone: me neither... But my point is that if it wasn't a cute mammal we probably wouldn't even be reading this in the news. It's the sensationalist news that love to create mediatic phenomenae out of emotional things like this... The white sharks are in danger of extinction (like violentblossom just points out) and no one really cares or talks about it because they're big and dangerous and ugly... etc.

I think what's extraordinary here is not one zoo wanting to kill an animal, but other zoos not wanting to have a new animal.

Yeah that's weird. :confused:

Drone
13-03-09, 16:13
Bringing the hippo to its natural environment would kill it much more cruelly there are still National Reserves for that purpose.

@Drone: me neither... But my point is that if it wasn't a cute mammal we probably wouldn't even be reading this in the news. It's the sensationalist news that love to create mediatic phenomenae out of emotional things like this... The white sharks are in danger of extinction (like violentblossom just points out) and no one really cares or talks about it because they're big and dangerous and ugly... etc.

it's true that we depend on media and we should not be blind doesn't matter how much they want us to be. Humans are responsible for every single animal that is in danger of extinction because of human factor. Humans will cause their own destruction if they are gonna stay the same

*laralover*
13-03-09, 16:43
Thats ridiculous...Poor thing. They shouldnt be breeding them geesh :mad:

rickybazire
13-03-09, 17:29
I'll take it...