PDA

View Full Version : Which is harder, Chemistry or Physics?

kooky
13-03-09, 19:22
Hello. :wve: I don't know what to take next year, Chemistry or Environmental Science? I toke Physics earlier this but it was too hard for me so I left the class. My Mom tells me that Chemistry is easier than Physics. I have been trying to improve my math & basic algebra skills, so what do you think? Should I take Chemistry or Environmental Science?

-OllieCroft-
13-03-09, 19:26
of course my friend

follow your heart, ok?

Tombcool
13-03-09, 19:28
It never hurts to try I think. :)

Physics is just one of those things you are either good at or bad at. No matter how much I studied in that course I never got a great mark. :hea:

NympHadorA
13-03-09, 19:35
Physics is the hardest I think...

Catapharact
13-03-09, 19:38
Physics is the hardest I think...

Depends upon where you analytial skills lay. Both of them require not only analytical thinking but visualzation as well... Especally in the case of Organic chem. where you might be dealing with a structual model that's about half the size of your computer table.

In short, overtime, both of them can get quite difficut depending upon your visualization and analytical skills.

-DaNnEe..
13-03-09, 19:40
I take Chemistry and it's bloody hard imo!

Biddy
13-03-09, 19:41
People have different opinions, I find both of them challenging.

spikejones
actually... to be honest with you I thought Physics was easier than Chemistry. But I did well at both of them actually. Thing is... if you suck at math, you won't do well with either. But I'm trying to think here (its been years)... Chemistry needs Algebra as a pre/corequisite. Physics on the other hand needs higher level math like Algebra 2/pre-cal. Its all math based really. You may be able to understand what an ion is and you may be able to understand covalent bonds, mixtures, solutions, etc.. but you have to have an understanding of the necessary equations in order to do well. I wonder why you took physics before chemistry? That's backwards from what everyone typically does at the schools I went to. And Earth/Environmental science is usually done before physics as well.

EmeraldFields
I like chemistry better.:D

TBH, Biology is the easiest.:p

laralover_07
13-03-09, 19:44
Depends on your logic skill. Chemistry is almost all logic and if you're good at that, you'll swim through it. Biology is indeed easiest, but you didn't mention that. I didn't take physics, as it was too like maths for me. I'm good at maths, I just don't enjoy it.

spikejones
13-03-09, 19:44
^ I started taking anatomy because I heard we got to dissect piglets. but then I started skipping school and getting high. totally missed out on that awesomeness :(

frogs were okay, but a pig would have been cooler :jmp:

Atlantisfreak666
13-03-09, 19:46
Chemistry is so easy IMHO.

Blackmoor
13-03-09, 19:49
Physics is harder than Chemistry. They're both hard but Physics is far more complicated than Chemistry.

Environmental Science will probably be easier than Chemistry. I can't guarantee it but it usually is.

But try to pick what interests you because if you enjoy something you'll probably find it easiest.

kristi
13-03-09, 19:59
Well,I have absolutely no problems in Chemistry.Neither in physics.I suppose it depends on your abilities to understand things.This is a thing which gave me a great advantage in studies.So you should choose,the subject you understand the most.I can say only this,because I can't make differences between the subjects' difficulties.

spikejones
13-03-09, 20:00
answer this for me then. what is the chemical process needed to convert vegetable oil into bio diesel and the substance used in making soap? The vegetable oil is a compound that needs a reaction of some sort to occur in order to separate out the two aforementioned substances. What is the change needed?

Physics is harder than Chemistry. They're both hard but Physics is far more complicated than Chemistry.

Environmental Science will probably be easier than Chemistry. I can't guarantee it but it usually is.

But try to pick what interests you because if you enjoy something you'll probably find it easiest.
I say screw taking classes that aren't needed to graduate unless it is in an area that interests you and you would like having a job doing that kind of stuff. Do you see yourself being a structural engineer/architect/construction worker - learn the physical sciences. Do you see yourself being a chemist or biochemical engineer? - learn chemistry. Do you see yourself being a veterinarian/doctor/nurse? - learn the life sciences. Do you see yourself doing eco-type work? - learn the Earth sciences.

kristi
13-03-09, 20:03

Well,I say that too,but judging by the exam we took today,it isn't easy for anyone.They ALL asked for my help.I did 2 tests today(mine and my friend's).

Eh,knowledge is a BIG responsibility...

Punaxe
13-03-09, 20:04
For me personally at high school, chemistry was more difficult than physics.

But the thing with both is, the more you understand it, the easier it will get. It has been said therefore, that the topic you have most trouble with, should be the topic you delve most deeply into.
This was in the context of my education system, where we had to take both at a basic level, but could choose to get them on a deeper level as well. If you're just wanting to get through it and have to pick only one of the two... For me personally it'd be physics. It was little more than applying formulas.

CerebralAssassin
13-03-09, 20:06
it's not a question of which is easier...it's a question of what you like the most.

that being said,physics is a little bit more involved with the math than chemistry is,but I wouldn't say it's easier than physics.both have their subtleties...

^ I started taking anatomy because I heard we got to dissect piglets. but then I started skipping school and getting high. totally missed out on that awesomeness :(

frogs were okay, but a pig would have been cooler :jmp:

well,it's never too late to go back to school if you want!;)

spikejones
13-03-09, 20:09
it's not a question of which is easier...it's a question of what you like the most.

that being said,physics is a little bit more involved with the math than chemistry is,but I wouldn't say it's easier than physics.both have their subtleties...

well,it's never too late to go back to school if you want!;)
I may just do this chemistry project instead of going to school:
http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#process

sandygrimm
13-03-09, 20:13
For me, Physics was harder. Chemistry was a piece of cake and more fun.

Dark Lugia 2
13-03-09, 20:17
Everybody here (GCSE students) find Physics hard (I find it easy, but meh). I personally find it as easy as chemistry, but I guess it depends on your love for science :p

Phlip
13-03-09, 20:20
I personally think Physics is extremely easy. I exceeded my target for it, actually.

God Horus
13-03-09, 20:37
Physics is way harder than chemistry in my opinion. But I took biology for two years and chemistry and physics for one :p

TR93
13-03-09, 20:48
I just took a GCSE on Physic and Biology..and Physic was much harder...
Learning Chemistry atm...

As my friend said..Physics is probably hardest...and Chemistry is OK as long as you know the basics;)

Rivendell
13-03-09, 20:52
I hated both.
Even though I'm rubbish at Maths (and so to some degree, physics), I disliked Chemistry more because I just flat out didn't get it.

FourBalls
13-03-09, 20:55
I think physics is harder but then again I don't think it's as interesting as chemistry, although I'm not a HUGE fan of the latter either. It's just easier for me to understand I guess, while with physics I simply cannot be bothered sometimes.

Drone
13-03-09, 20:58
Physics damn logical and interesting.
Chem ain't logical at all. All those elements and compounds do what they want lol

spikejones
13-03-09, 21:01
I hated both.
Even though I'm rubbish at Maths (and so to some degree, physics), I disliked Chemistry more because I just flat out didn't get it.
chemistry plain and simple is a physical representation of a mathematical equation (when it comes to chemical processes) each element is like a variable in an algebraic equation.

Nemo_91
13-03-09, 22:06
Both are hard, IMO. :p

Atlantisfreak666
13-03-09, 22:18
Everybody here (GCSE students) find Physics hard (I find it easy, but meh). I personally find it as easy as chemistry, but I guess it depends on your love for science :p

Since the start of year 10 I've found a new love for science. Biology is my favorite subject. I kinda suck at Physics. Chemistry is okay.

Larapink
13-03-09, 22:26
I like Physics, but it depends on what you like. :)

raiderfun
13-03-09, 22:34
Both have their difficulty. It actually depends on the lessons, you can find hard and easy ones at the both of them :)

Logie 12 =]
13-03-09, 23:25
physics is the hardest imo

Shrantellatessa
13-03-09, 23:34
Physics are harder, to me, because they need much more math than chemistry, and I suck at math :pi:

Nefertiti_89
13-03-09, 23:42
Chemistry because the math is harder to get your head around, and its completely illogical like Drone said.

Physics on the other hand you can see happening around you, and it makes sense that if you throw something up in the air it will eventually come down and so on and so forth. It wasn't easy, but when you compare it to Chemistry, it was a walk in the park.

spikejones
14-03-09, 03:07
geeze... I don't know how everyone seems to be so daunted by Chemistry yet finds Physics to be easier. :confused: Physics is a higher level mathematical concept than Chemistry is. I understand that you say you can see physics going on around you and all that - but if you can't grasp the concepts it is pointless to be able to say that yes... there is gravity, but I don't know how to figure out how long it will take an object to fall to the ground if dropped from 9.81 meters. Whether it's calculating the speed of an object (v = d/t ) or figuring what is the result of HCl + NaOH (hydrochloric acid + Sodium Hydroxide, which turns into Salt and Water (NaCl + H20)), its all math.

AmericanAssassin
14-03-09, 03:12
I took Chemistry. I failed Chemistry. :p

LaraCablara
15-03-09, 14:00
I hope Chemistry burns in hell and I never ever have to see that !%^#$ subject ever again in my life and all the teachers who teach it get fired and have to go teach something else, like biology.

:)

rowanlim
15-03-09, 14:10
It depends on what you like. Chemistry is very specific: a chemical reacts a certain way because of certain fixed properties on an atomic level. Physics is about interactions, the maths is to predict the interactions & their effects.

But the thing with both is, the more you understand it, the easier it will get. It has been said therefore, that the topic you have most trouble with, should be the topic you delve most deeply into.

Punaxe is right, both subjects require understanding of concepts & mechanisms, if you can them down, then it'll be easy.

Being a chemical engineering student, both are my favorite, I love my course :)

Lara Croft!
15-03-09, 22:06
I believe Physics is harder...

Angel666
15-03-09, 23:18
I've never taken physics and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Immortalis08
15-03-09, 23:35
With the right instructor and the right attitude I found chemistry to be much easier even though I got a lower grade than the A i received in Physics. Personally I found physics to be more boring.

innocentvenus
16-03-09, 00:01
I bombed Physics I, but I'm passing Physics II with a C. Chemistry isn't my cup of tea either. Both are hard for me, but Chem is easier somewhat.

That's why I'm a Marine Bio major. :ton:

tombfan91
16-03-09, 01:26
i would take chemistry (already in it.) it's not that hard really. only first semester revolving around homgenous, heterogeneous, and all that crap. its more of a remembrance. but it gets better when you get to molarity, moles, and etc because it's all calculation like a plug and chug

freeze10108
16-03-09, 03:51
Being currently enrolled in both Accelerated Chemistry and AP Physics (difference being that AP is worth college credit), I must say that I find physics to be much, much more difficult than chemistry. Chemistry is fairly straightforward, and usually just a bunch of conversions between units. But physics, oohhh boy! The first semester was easier and remained in the second dimension, but this second semester, we started electrostatics, which is kind of like going from following a nice, straight stretch of road then all of a sudden finding yourself in a big, curvy mess of roads that go all over the place. That feeling carried over into the next sub-unit of electrostatics: circuits! Then, we've just recently hit magnetism, which now deals with the third-dimension, and, needless to say, after just finishing the assigned take home quiz a few minutes ago, it sucks! In my honest opinion, I wholeheartedly believe that physics is a more difficult course than chemistry, and I will NOT be taking the next level of physics next year or senior year, but will be taking another chemistry class senior year. /rant

-Chromeo-
16-03-09, 08:46
Yeah, it really has to do with you ability with calculations.
Both have them, Physics however is more complicated.
Chemistry has a fair bit of theory, and I love that part of it =D