PDA

View Full Version : Best horror movies

Paperdoll
15-03-09, 14:19
Sooo... I've been out of the horror cycle for too long. So I need a few opinions on both new and old horror movies. Something that you liked story wise, something that scared the bejeesus out of you or even something that was so horrifying and terrified you so much... over how bad it was XD that you need to warn people not to touch it with a ten foot pole :p

Keep it clean folks, no graphic trailers or pictures since we all know how messy horror can get.

To kick things off...

Last night, on a movie session with friends, I once again rewatched Shutter.

The thai one, not the remake (curious to watch it but... meh).

Still good popcorn fun and damn that ending.. it still gets me :D kinda sad actually.

TombRaiderLover
15-03-09, 14:25
Some of my favourite horror films.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - The first half is a deliberately slow-paced build up of dread. The second half is an assault on the senses, a relentless exercise in terror and mayhem that lives up to its title.

The Evil Dead - Shockingly professional considering its low budget, the film expertly crafts atmosphere, sound effects and clever camera design to make a truly entertaining film.

The Exorcist - A horror film much unlike others of its genre, it relies on character development and powerful visuals to create atmosphere and shock, unlike films using jump scares and gore to scare the audience.

The Last House on the Left (1972) - A comment on violence in society and what drives people to it. The mix of horror and slapstick is uneasy, and it's very much dated now, but the scenes of humiliation and violence are still powerful today.

Paperdoll
15-03-09, 14:28
I've had the first movie in The Evil Dead series for ages and never even watched it properly... might just do so.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre... watched it quite a few years back. Always felt gritty and brutal for me... not for the graphic side of things but... yeah you know what I mean :D although the fun of it kinda has been sucked out for me over the countless "inspired" stories... much like the remake and House of 1000 Corpses.

The Exorcist... also watched it a few years back and never got a kick out of it. Granted I was what... 14... so I can't really have a decent opinion on it since it's been a while.

digitizedboy
15-03-09, 14:29
I don't think "any" horror movie has really ever frightened me. But one that appeals to me very much is "hellraiser". That opening scene where Uncle Frank was being remade was ... :eek: But the whole story in general was creepy. And a box that takes you to different dimensions or "hell". I want to know where you can get one. lol

Paperdoll
15-03-09, 14:31
No tears please, it's a waste of good suffering ;)

Btw had any of you folks seen the following movies in the Hellraiser series? I've always been curious but I've heard it's quite the mixed bag...

TombRaiderLover
15-03-09, 14:31
But one that appeals to me very much is "hellraiser".
Ah, another great film. The first of the sequels was fun too. Probably just as good as the original. The third film was poor, if I remember correctly, and I never had any interest to watch the rest.

TR93
15-03-09, 14:32
I Think the scariest and most chlling i've seen is 28 Days Later...
It's a great movie...but chlling and sometimes scarey as hell...
And it was suspensefull unlike 28 Weeks which seemed way too gory for my liking....

Mona Sax
15-03-09, 14:32
And a box that takes you to different dimensions or "hell". I want to know where you can get one. lol
Try watching reality TV. ;)

violentblossom
15-03-09, 14:36
The Descent, or 28 Weeks (Not so much "Days") Later are both awesome.

TombRaiderLover
15-03-09, 14:37
Other horror films I enjoyed:

A Nightmare on Elm Street 1-3 (4 was fair)
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
The Driller Killer
Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn
Halloween (original)
Night of the Living Dead (original)
An American Werewolf in London
Don't Look Now
Psycho (original)
The Birds
The Omen (original)
Suspiria
Peeping Tom
The Shining
The House on Sorority Row
Scream 1-2
28 Days Later

Silence of the Lambs is a masterpiece, and a film that often divides opinion on whether it's a psychological thriller or a horror.

Encore
15-03-09, 14:38
I love japanese horror. My favourite is Kairo... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286751/
It's pretty slow and for many people it probably isn't scary at all but I thought it's absolutely horrifying just because of the subject (and I also thought some scenes were pretty creepy, but that depends on the viewer of course). It's got a very powerful message which is beautifully portrayed. On a side note, the remake they made, called Pulse, was a complete JOKE; it retained NOTHING of the original atmosphere and theme!

I don't think "any" horror movie has really ever frightened me. But one that appeals to me very much is "hellraiser". That opening scene where Uncle Frank was being remade was ... :eek:

That scene is bloody amazing!!! I have watched the movie but only the beggining so far, I had no time to see the rest but I plan to! I really like old school horror movies...

digitizedboy
15-03-09, 14:41
Ah, another great film. The first of the sequels was fun too. Probably just as good as the original. The third film was poor, if I remember correctly, and I never had any interest to watch the rest.

Oh I totally agree. Hellbound is equally as good as the first movie. That doctor is really quite creepy. :O I wonder if you know "nightbreed"?

Try watching reality TV. ;)

Reality TV is the real McCoy when it comes to horror. lol

TombRaiderLover
15-03-09, 14:42
Oh I totally agree. Hellbound is equally as good as the first movie. That doctor is really quite creepy. :O I wonder if you know "nightbreed"?
That's another Clive Barker film, right? Heard about it, never seen it.

digitizedboy
15-03-09, 15:05
I love japanese horror. My favourite is Kairo... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286751/
It's pretty slow and for many people it probably isn't scary at all but I thought it's absolutely horrifying just because of the subject (and I also thought some scenes were pretty creepy, but that depends on the viewer of course). It's got a very powerful message which is beautifully portrayed. On a side note, the remake they made, called Pulse, was a complete JOKE; it retained NOTHING of the original atmosphere and theme!

That scene is bloody amazing!!! I have watched the movie but only the beggining so far, I had no time to see the rest but I plan to! I really like old school horror movies...

Oh, you really must watch the rest of the movie, it's amazing. and it's simply an icon of 80s horror too.
Japanese horror is quite scary, The Ring I would say is the most terrifying. I mean a spirit of a girl climbing a well and walking out of a TV set gave me nightmares. lol now I'm contradicting what I previously said on my first post.

That's another Clive Barker film, right? Heard about it, never seen it.

Yep, it's another Cliver Barker film. He has such an imaginative mind when it comes to characters. Watch it one of the days. :)

Survival
15-03-09, 15:15
Thereīre lots of them.

Some forgotten gems like "Deathline" or "Peeping Tom" come to mind. From latter years itīs definitely REC, El Orphanato (which you already saw If I remember corectly :)), Martyrs, Midnight Meat Train, Paranormal Activity, The Descent... etc.

:)

TRhalloween
15-03-09, 15:15
My username-TR=Best horror film

Paperdoll
15-03-09, 15:18
Thereīre lots of them.

Some forgotten gems like "Deathline" or "Peeping Tom" come to mind. From latter years itīs definitely REC, El Orphanato (which you already saw If I remember corectly :)), Martyrs, Midnight Meat Train, Paranormal Activity, The Descent... etc.

:)

Yup I have. Can't say I care much for it though. Not to say it's a bad movie... it isn't. It's just that I didn't care much for it. REC I loved though. I remember seeing, I think, a trailer for Midnight Meat Train... any good I guess?

Survival
15-03-09, 15:19
I remember seeing, I think, a trailer for Midnight Meat Train... any good I guess?

Itīs great :tmb: Definitely one of the best american horror movies of the last few years :)

Ku9kAHwucJQ

TombRaiderLover
15-03-09, 15:20
Some forgotten gems like "Deathline" or "Peeping Tom" come to mind.

Someone else who likes Peeping Tom. ;) Brilliant film. I really should buy the Special Edition in the future.

Survival
15-03-09, 15:23
Someone else who likes Peeping Tom. ;) Brilliant film. I really should buy the Special Edition in the future.

Itīs been on my "to buy" list for way too long... next month itīll become part of my collection :tmb:

SamReeves
15-03-09, 16:26
I like Nightmare on Elm Street the best. Freddy is a little corny, and that itself it is kinda scary! :p

http://i26.************/34ii9ah.jpg

Survival
15-03-09, 16:39
Also original When a Stranger Calls + sequel When a Stranger Calls Back... often cited as the scariest openings ever :tmb: Be warned though... the middle part of WaSC is very very dull and doesnīt fit the movie at all.

oocladableeblah
15-03-09, 17:17
I am not gonna bother say 3 classics series that everyone knows they have probably been posted.
Hills Have Eyes (the one with Emilie de Ravin)
The Ring
The Thing
Saw
28 Days Later
Resident Evil
The Omen
The Excorcist
The Shining

CerebralAssassin
15-03-09, 17:21
Evil Dead II:dead by dawn
Evil Dead III:Army of darkness

:D

AmericanAssassin
15-03-09, 17:25
My favorite movie of all time is still John Carpenter's Halloween (1978). That is closely followed by Scream (1996) and the original Friday the 13th (1980). Plus, I've really become a huge fan of the original Psycho (1960) film, recently. :mis: Horror is, by far, my favorite genre...

M.A.
15-03-09, 17:27
The Ju-On Series - The original Japanese ones, not the American Remake. The horror in the remake is waaayyyy too watered down. A lot of the scary scenes from the original didn't make it. Watch the 1st two direct-to-video movies, Ju-On 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju-on_1) and Ju-On 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju-on_2). I left the lights on for weeks after that LOL! :D

Agent 47
15-03-09, 17:33
The Ju-On Series - The original Japanese ones, not the American Remake. The horror in the remake is waaayyyy too watered down. A lot of the scary scenes from the original didn't make it. Watch the 1st two direct-to-video movies, Ju-On 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju-on_1) and Ju-On 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju-on_2). I left the lights on for weeks after that LOL! :D

nice to see the originals get the respect they deserve :D

nice post.

Rivendell
15-03-09, 17:35
Session 9 is still one of my favourites! I've seen it once and I've no desire to watch it again. :D

Atlantisfreak666
15-03-09, 17:42
- Night of the living dead (1968). Every movie in the 'dead' series is awesome.
- All the Ginger snaps movies.
- Silent hill.
- 28 days/weeks later.
- The Exorcist.

Survival
15-03-09, 17:44
Session 9 is still one of my favourites! I've seen it once and I've no desire to watch it again. :D

Ah that movieīs a masterpiece :tmb:

Oh and Let The Right One In! Highly recommended. The bookīs also great :)
_zYIFH470bE

Aphrodite22
15-03-09, 18:03
the chainsaw massacre (remake) :D

Lara's Nemesis
15-03-09, 19:16
If you like Asian cinema I would recommend Korean film A Tale of Two Sisters. One of the best films I have ever seen.

"Brilliant psychological thriller, heart-wrenching drama, and gripping horror all wrapped up in one beautifully orchestrated package."

This film has recently been remade as The Uninvited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDyWVOIY8Mg

I've not worked out how to embed you tube links yet.

AmericanAssassin
15-03-09, 19:18
the chainsaw massacre (remake) :D

As I'm sure most of you can tell from my post, I almost always prefer original titles over remakes, however, that's not the case for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I honestly feel as though the remake and its sequel are miles ahead of the original in quality. I just can't stand the original. It bores the hell out of me. In this case, I'd say remake for the win.

I also feel this way about The Amityville Horror. The original was abysmal, while the remake was quite literally one of the best horror films I've ever seen. :D

TombRaiderLover
15-03-09, 19:35
As I'm sure most of you can tell from my post, I almost always prefer original titles over remakes, however, that's not the case for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I honestly feel as though the remake and its sequel are miles ahead of the original in quality. I just can't stand the original. It bores the hell out of my. In this case, I'd say remake for the win.
I thought the remake was horrible, so to each his own. :p

At least we agree that the original Psycho was a masterpiece.

AmericanAssassin
15-03-09, 19:38
At least we agree that the original Psycho was a masterpiece.

Beyond a masterpiece even. :tmb: There aren't even words to describe how ahead of its time it was. This thread makes me want to watch it. :D

touchthesky
15-03-09, 19:39
For me, the texas chainsaw films depend on my mood. Sometimes I prefer the remake, others I prefer the original.

Halloween
Halloween 2
Halloween 5
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th Part 2
Friday the 13th Part 5
Friday the 13th Part 6
The Strangers
Saw
Saw 3
Hostel
Hostel 2
The Paper Boy (nobodies ever seen this one, though)
IT
Pet Semetary
Pet Semetary 2 (sucky sequel but come on guys its' EDWARD FURLONGGGG!!!)
Oh and I have a totally soft spot for Shark Attack 1 and 2....it's the rubber sharks!

TombRaiderLover
15-03-09, 19:40
Beyond a masterpiece even. :tmb: There aren't even words to describe how ahead of its time it was. This thread makes me want to watch it. :D

I just love the music in the film. *envisions opening credits*

Do you have the Alfred Hitchcock Collection, by any chance?

AmericanAssassin
15-03-09, 19:42
Do you mean the $90.00 one? No, I don't have it, although, I was just thinking about purchasing it yesterday. I'm also in love with both The Birds and Rope, which are both part of the collection. :mis:

TombRaiderLover
15-03-09, 19:49
I think the US and UK boxsets contain the same films, but the US boxset has remastered prints and some additional extras.

It's a brilliant boxset, though.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419kBtnauSL._SS500_.jpg

Vertigo
The Birds
Rear Window
Marnie
Frenzy
Topaz
The Trouble With Harry
Torn Curtain
Psycho
Family Plot
Saboteur
Shadow Of A Doubt
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Rope

Legend 4ever
15-03-09, 19:54
Great thread.:)

Horror movies are my passion and I love them deeply. My favorite director is Dario Argento and while many people state his directing is over-the-top and quite cheesy, he really does have quite a few masterpieces in his bag: Suspiria, from 1977 is one of my favorite movies ever and I would recommend it to anyone, it is not very scary for today's way of thinking, but it is a MAGICAL eerie movie with great colors. I also think some of his early works such as The Bird With The Chrystal Plumage and Deep Red (Profondo Rosso) are great movies. Phenomena aka. Creepers with Jennifer Conelly is also really fun to watch and so is Opera, both directed by Dario Argento.

Other horror movies I appreciate are:
Day Of The Woman
Scream
Possession (1980, with Isabelle Adjani)
The Tale Of Two Sisters (the Korean one, not the American one, known as The Uninvited)
Three Extremes ( three movies in one, Dumplings, Cut, Box)
Alien 1-4
Imprint (by Takeshi Miike for Masters Of Horror series)
Hellraiser
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (1919)
Candyman
The Others
Carrie
The Shining
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
Hostel Part 2
The Silence Of The Lambs
House of 1000 Corpses

While I love a lot horror movies, I hated some of the "everyone's favorite" aka "the classics", such as: Cannibal Holocaust (boring), Eyes Without A Face (boring), Don't Look Now, Psycho, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original Hills Have Eyes and The Wicker Man. All of these I found either boring or not scary enough.

TombRaiderLover
15-03-09, 20:05
Cannibal Holocaust (boring)
That's a very nasty film. Well-made, and with an excellent score, but the graphic scenes of mutilation and genuine animal slaughters make it difficult to like. And this is coming from someone who's used to violent films.

Legend 4ever
15-03-09, 20:10
That's a very nasty film. Well-made, and with an excellent score, but the graphic scenes of mutilation and genuine animal slaughters make it difficult to like. And this is coming from someone who's used to violent films.

I am too, but to me it wasn't scary or nasty at all. Honestly, the movie looks more fake than some 1960's B slasher. Watch Guinea Pig movies or Hei tai yang 731(Men Behind the Sun) for "difficult to watch".

TombRaiderLover
15-03-09, 20:14
I am too, but to me it wasn't scary or nasty at all. Honestly, the movie looks more fake than some 1960's B slasher.
Sure, if you consider real animal killings to look fake. :confused: Also, I said it was difficult to like, not difficult to watch.

Atlantisfreak666
15-03-09, 20:16
While I love a lot horror movies, I hated some of the "everyone's favorite" aka "the classics", such as: Cannibal Holocaust (boring), Eyes Without A Face (boring), Don't Look Now, Psycho, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original Hills Have Eyes and The Wicker Man. All of these I found either boring or not scary enough.

The wicker man was so boring. But the maypole song was so catchy.
:p

Legend 4ever
15-03-09, 20:20
Sure, if you consider real animal killings to look fake. :confused: Also, I said it was difficult to like, not difficult to watch.
Sorry, I've overseen it. I don't know, the feeling was that it's very fake. I didn't know those were real animals. Well in Men Behind The Sun there are also real animal killings and there is an autopsy scene with the real corpse of a boy, so...

Gladous
15-03-09, 20:22
Quarantine

That movie actually made me scared! :tmb:

Paperdoll
16-03-09, 01:10

I loved the first tv movie. How it petted you, assured you everything was ok and then out of the blue, kicked you in the groin. Hard. Love it <3

If you like Asian cinema I would recommend Korean film A Tale of Two Sisters. One of the best films I have ever seen.

"Brilliant psychological thriller, heart-wrenching drama, and gripping horror all wrapped up in one beautifully orchestrated package."

This film has recently been remade as The Uninvited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDyWVOIY8Mg

I've not worked out how to embed you tube links yet.

A masterpiece. One of my all time favourite movies :tmb:

I am too, but to me it wasn't scary or nasty at all. Honestly, the movie looks more fake than some 1960's B slasher. Watch Guinea Pig movies or Hei tai yang 731(Men Behind the Sun) for "difficult to watch".

I could name a few that are even more.... argh. But that's not my cup of tea tbh. I have some curiosity to watch Mermaid in a Manhole but I think I'd be too grossed out XD

Someone also mentioned Dumplings... I think that was you. Loved it. Have the whole movie but only watched that segment so far. Although my brother watched it with me and had to hold back vomit reflexes XD I really liked it. Very... I dunno, makes you think.

Agent 47
16-03-09, 01:57
nice to see Asian cinema get a shout out :D

i pretty much watch what i can my hands on from Thailand, Korea and Japan. personally i love the stuff :jmp:

not that i expect anyone to notice

spikejones
16-03-09, 03:16
I like all sorts of horror/thriller/slasher flicks.

If you've never seen em all, you have to check out the Friday the 13th series - all of them. Other ones I call recall off hand:

Wrong Turn
The Shining
The Ring
The Grudge
Mirrors
Silent Hill
The Haunting (original and remake are both great)
House on Haunted Hill (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185371/)
Return to House on Haunted Hill (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0827782/)
Psycho
The Killing Floor (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756672/)
28 Days Later/28 weeks later
Pulse 1-3
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween
Chucky
Dark Floors (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0985025/) <--- you absolutely can NOT miss this one!! :jmp:
edit almost forgot:
SAW series :mis:
Hostel series
edit again... one last spooky one:
1408 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450385/)

stay away from "The Happening" -- its stupid.

AmericanAssassin
16-03-09, 05:15
^ Wow. :tmb: You have very very very good taste in movies. If you lived nearby, I'd totally want to have a horror movie marathon. :D

Although, I'd leave out the Saw franchise. The first two are alright, but the third is just awful and the fourth was only so-so. I never cared to see Saw V, as I feel that the series is very overrated. To each their own, I suppose. :p

Legend 4ever
16-03-09, 06:27
I could name a few that are even more.... argh. But that's not my cup of tea tbh. I have some curiosity to watch Mermaid in a Manhole but I think I'd be too grossed out XD

Someone also mentioned Dumplings... I think that was you. Loved it. Have the whole movie but only watched that segment so far. Although my brother watched it with me and had to hold back vomit reflexes XD I really liked it. Very... I dunno, makes you think.

I've seen Mermaid in a Manhole and it's really good, very over-the-top and artsy. Dumplings is my favorite in Three Extremes, though Cut was fun to watch too.

I love Asian horror. Also, there is a movie translated to Cinderella though it has nothing to do with that story, it's a Korean horror, it's really twisted and I liked it for the atmosphere and some really nasty scenes.

Ikas90
16-03-09, 06:41
The Ring, The Grudge and Shutter are among my favourites. I love the stories behind them. I love creepy stuff. :)

Tear
16-03-09, 07:25
The Descent.;)

-Chromeo-
16-03-09, 09:45
My all time favourite,
Jeepers Creepers =D!

Jo269976
16-03-09, 09:53

Even better that the director was actually put on trial because people believe it was real until he could show production stills as proof it was fake.

My favourite horror franchise is 'A Nightmare on Elm Street', always has been :)

I watched The Amityville Horror (2005) last night, I prefer it to the original, I found the original to be quite boring to be honest, and this is coming from a person who's generally against a lot of remakes.

Spong
16-03-09, 09:59
The Thing
Alien/Alien: Director's Cut

Nothing's ever come close to toppling those two from the top of my list.

spikejones
16-03-09, 15:20
^ Wow. :tmb: You have very very very good taste in movies. If you lived nearby, I'd totally want to have a horror movie marathon. :D

Although, I'd leave out the Saw franchise. The first two are alright, but the third is just awful and the fourth was only so-so. I never cared to see Saw V, as I feel that the series is very overrated. To each their own, I suppose. :p
I think it is highly misunderstood for its puzzling nature that raises more questions than it answers.

The Silence of the Lambs - Hannibal Rising - Red Dragon are all good movies IMO and I own them all, however its less of the hack/slash genre that most horror fanatics go for. Its more of a mind ****.

Lara's Nemesis
17-03-09, 16:12
Was wondering if anyone had seen "Let the Right One In". It is a Swedish vampire film that has been getting great reviews. Getting a shot of it from one of my friends this week.

http://i43.************/15xpg84.jpg

Link to review on IMDB, sounds good. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

Survival
17-03-09, 17:01
Was wondering if anyone had seen "Let the Right One In". It is a Swedish vampire film that has been getting great reviews. Getting a shot of it from one of my friends this week.

http://i43.************/15xpg84.jpg

Link to review on IMDB, sounds good. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

Of course one of the best horror movies Iīve seen :tmb: Posted trailer on the first page :)

Phys
17-03-09, 17:04
LOVED 30 days of Night. Awesome vampire film!

TRhalloween
17-03-09, 17:08
To be honest, I don't like Vampire movies. I grew up with Buffy and that is the only vampire show I can live by.

SoulReaver74
17-03-09, 17:26
Now this is what i call a Thread since horror movies are a passion of mine, there are quiet a few which i'm very fond of, but three of the best for me are:

The Thing - An outright classic which i don't think will ever be matched in my life time.

Dawn of the Dead - Now this zombie classic has it all, one of the best.

Evil Dead 2 - Bruce at his finest, more comedy than anything but great fun.

*laralover*
17-03-09, 19:05
Any Asian horrors they seem to freak me out way more than anything else. Nightmare On Elm Street i love though and anything Supernatural like haunted houses and what not :D O yeah The Thing is bloody awesome! It actually still freaks me out :vlol:

Encore
17-03-09, 19:14
About vampire movies, I really like Bram Stoker's Dracula, with Gary Oldman, I think it's a masterpiece. I also like Interview with a Vampire because it's got quite a diferent aproach, with all those existencialist doubts. That's about it though.. I think most of the time vampires are portrayed in an excessive "super cool rock star" way and it annoys me so I like the old vibe of those 2 movies.

The Thing - An outright classic which i don't think will ever be matched in my life time.

I love that one too!!

Paperdoll
17-03-09, 20:52
About vampire movies, I really like Bram Stoker's Dracula, with Gary Oldman, I think it's a masterpiece. I also like Interview with a Vampire because it's got quite a diferent aproach, with all those existencialist doubts. That's about it though.. I think most of the time vampires are portrayed in an excessive "super cool rock star" way and it annoys me so I like the old vibe of those 2 movies.

I wholeheartedly agree with those. I loved both movies and Bram Stoker's Dracula will always be an all time favourite of mine. I'm a vampire fangirl, truth be told, but I am almost always disapointed at vampire movies. Those two (and Nosferatu :D) are a few ones that don't. Great choices Encore.

nice to see Asian cinema get a shout out :D

i pretty much watch what i can my hands on from Thailand, Korea and Japan. personally i love the stuff :jmp:

not that i expect anyone to notice

Nuh uh we didn't notice XD I used to follow an asian horror movie review site religiously... but I kinda fell out of the circle of asian horror and horror in general. Although a few asian flicks are part of my favourite horror movies. It's just a whole different vibe....

Agent 47
17-03-09, 21:11
I wholeheartedly agree with those. I loved both movies and Bram Stoker's Dracula will always be an all time favourite of mine. I'm a vampire fangirl, truth be told, but I am almost always disapointed at vampire movies. Those two (and Nosferatu :D) are a few ones that don't. Great choices Encore.

Nuh uh we didn't notice XD I used to follow an asian horror movie review site religiously... but I kinda fell out of the circle of asian horror and horror in general. Although a few asian flicks are part of my favourite horror movies. It's just a whole different vibe....

which site? i try to keep up-to-date, but lately i've been busy with other stuff :( and i agree about vibe, Asian movies have their own unique character, i like them :D

Angelus
17-03-09, 21:19
I agree with whoever said Interview With the Vampire... I bloody love that film. And I don't know if Wolf Creek is classed as a horror, but that film really made me feel uncomfortable. I don't usually get scared while watching horror films, but Wolf Creek really touched a nerve. It's not a film that I could watch over and over.

TombRaiderLover
17-03-09, 21:24
And I don't know if Wolf Creek is classed as a horror, but that film really made me feel uncomfortable. I don't usually get scared while watching horror films, but Wolf Creek really touched a nerve. It's not a film that I could watch over and over.
That's how I felt about Cannibal Holocaust. It's not a bad film, it's just uncomfortable viewing.

Survival
17-03-09, 21:40
I agree with whoever said Interview With the Vampire... I bloody love that film. And I don't know if Wolf Creek is classed as a horror, but that film really made me feel uncomfortable. I don't usually get scared while watching horror films, but Wolf Creek really touched a nerve. It's not a film that I could watch over and over.

Of course :tmb: Wolf Creek is pure hixploitation body horror and brilliant at that :)

spikejones
17-03-09, 21:41
John Carpenter's Vampires (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og_wahHKoqo&feature=related)

KIKO
17-03-09, 22:18
Mirrors
I must say the ending was unexpected and it has one of the most disturbing scenes i've ever watched, mainly the bathroom one. Once you watch it, you will spend the whole day trying not to touch your mouth :ton:

Amityville Horror(remake)
I quite liked the story. The house itself is very scary.

Quarantine
I recently watched it and I found the scenes quite scary maybe due to watching in almost "First Person View". For some reason I tend to concentrate in the film and that is bad for me coz I tend to scare most of the times because of that.

The Exorcist
It's just very scary and that face OMG !!

Aphrodite22
17-03-09, 22:36
Amityville Horror(remake)
I quite liked the story. The house itself is very scary.

oh yea i forgot that one.. its goood :D

Survival
17-03-09, 22:51
While weīre at it I LOVE all horror movies by Jaume Balagueró... Spanish god of horror...

The Nameless, The Darkness and Frágiles... he also wrote REC and The Nun :)

wirglVm2_uw
gEeXK4BHjiU

Los Angeles
18-03-09, 00:21
yQ4FlHowFOc_eufe95K5vjg

spikejones
18-03-09, 00:28
youtube is sooooooooo not worth posting on the forums anymore. its taking AGES to load anymore. :(

Paperdoll
18-03-09, 00:38
It's loading just fine for me :X quite fast actually.

Agent 47
18-03-09, 00:40
youtube is sooooooooo not worth posting on the forums anymore. its taking AGES to load anymore. :(

i know, my browser is freezing like a pro in winter :(

tranniversary119
18-03-09, 00:51
Cloverfield- A few people who said they went to see it said it was, "alright". So I decided to buy it, and watched it with my friend. The docu-type like the blair witch makes it 10X more scarier..I actually enjoyed this movie it's different in a way..and just awesome :D
The Blair Witch Project- Like cloverfield and quarantine it follows a docu-mentary type of film. I liked how..you never saw anything you just heard things. Which made the film IMO very creepy. I loved it though :tmb:
The Ring- I watched this alone..0_o..Very creepy movie.

And of course, there's the original horror movies that everybody loves. I'm not really that big of a horror fan..most people think I am but none really scare me :p

The1andOnlyTR
18-03-09, 01:04
Child's Play- Aaahh!! Love this moviee!! Soo glad they're doing a remake!! :hug:

The Grudge- Amazing moviee. I usually dont scare easily but this one was really scary! :D

The Last House on the Left- Not really a horror so much as a thriller but it's amazing!! Very real. It made feel sick to my stomach. :o

spikejones
18-03-09, 01:05
It's loading just fine for me :X quite fast actually.
sometimes its fast, other times it is deathly slow. I think those UKers are killing it by trying to refresh over and over hoping that they can get a video to play that has music.

Survival
18-03-09, 01:07
The Last House on the Left- Not really a horror so much as a thriller but it's amazing!! Very real. It made feel sick to my stomach. :o[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last House is pure exploitation horror :tmb: Glad you liked the remake :)

Jo269976
18-03-09, 01:07
Last House is pure exploitation horror :tmb: Glad you liked the remake :)

Still have to see the remake myself, I loved the original though, is it faithful? :o

Survival
18-03-09, 01:10
Still have to see the remake myself, I loved the original though, is it faithful? :o

In a way. Itīs different enough to justify a remake but itīs still true to the source material (with exception of Mari surviving the initial attack). It actually got rid of all unrealistic and comedic stuff from original. Thereīs no humour whatsoever and that helps because obviously some of the roughness and nastiness of the original could not really be repeated in the remake. Itīs more polished and suspenseful and not audience friendly... itīs not as "grindhouse" as original but thatīs understandable.

Aphrodite22
18-03-09, 01:12
the blair witch project- like cloverfield and quarantine it follows a docu-mentary type of film. I liked how..you never saw anything you just heard things. Which made the film imo very creepy. I loved it though :tmb:

oh no! Worst movie eveerrr!!

Survival
18-03-09, 01:13
oh no! Worst movie eveerrr!!

Nope... thatīs one of most succesfull horror movies of all time :p

ECB
18-03-09, 03:06
The Blair Witch Project.-scared the complete **** out of me
Texas Chainsaw Massacre.-Original and the latest two
Scream.-kind of a spoof, but has one of the best openings to a movie. Ever.
House of Wax.-I liked it. :p
The Descent.- It lets us know some things still haven't been discovered.
Vacancy.- I think it could actually happen.

Paddy
18-03-09, 04:00
Wolf Creek is the best horror movie Ive seen and Hostel.
Wolf Creek because its what happens in real life, when Mick lures tourists to his hideout and murders them, some scenes really did scare me, Im hard to scare with movies, Jason and Freddy style characters dont scare me, theyre just too old now, Scream 1 used to scare me plenty.

*laralover*
18-03-09, 17:38
O yeah i like Vampire movies too! and werewolf ones...Childs Play and Candyman i love those ones too :p

Love2Raid
18-03-09, 18:22
"The Thing" :yik:

"The Exorcist" comes second.

Yup, the oldies are the best! :tmb:

I think "The Descent" is a very good 'new' horror movie. Same goes for the first two 'Saw' movies and 'The Hostel'.

Chocola teapot
18-03-09, 18:58
^ the thing Is brilliant I was just about to say! or one missed call (original)

Angelus
18-03-09, 20:31
The Thing is another classic horror film! What about Alien? I knew before seeing the film about the alien bursting out of John Hurt... it was just a case of when it was going to happen. Very suspenseful.

TombRaiderLover
18-03-09, 20:34
The Thing is another classic horror film! What about Alien? I knew before seeing the film about the alien bursting out of John Hurt... it was just a case of when it was going to happen. Very suspenseful.

Alien is a masterpiece. :tmb:

Love2Raid
18-03-09, 20:53
Alien is a masterpiece. :tmb:

Totally. :)

Lara's Nemesis
18-03-09, 21:25
Just watched "The Thing" a couple of weeks ago. The way it deals with paranoia is brilliant. The special efects still look great as well.

Survival - don't know how I managed to miss your post on "Let the Right One In" :confused:

Should be getting it on Friday. Really looking forward to it.

spikejones - The original version of "The Haunting" is one of my favourites. Even although you don't see a lot of horror it is still very unsettling at times.

Session 9 is a brilliant film as well.

Mister Croft
18-03-09, 21:26
Anyone who know a good one to watch on a lonely night? :p

Survival
19-03-09, 05:57
spikejones - The original version of "The Haunting" is one of my favourites. Even although you don't see a lot of horror it is still very unsettling at times.

Well horror is very wide genre... it isnīt just one thing or another. Iīm not sure how exactly have you meant tha "you donīt see a lot of horror" because more then ever in horror movies like The Haunting itīs the unknown and unseen thatīs the "horror".

I hope that makes sense... sorry I donīt want to be rude or anything.

And now Iīm no longer reacting to your post => :D by the way I hate when someone says "This and that isnīt a horror movie becase thereīs no gore (-seriously WTF?-)" or "This and that is not a horror movie because itīs good/is not scary/is not supernatural (another major WTF from my side)/etc" that really gets my blood boiling for some reason :p. (Yeah just had one of those heated discussions with a person who knew **** about what he was forcing me to accept as my opinion :rolleyes::D)

Shark_Blade
19-03-09, 06:41
Resident Evil Degeneration... ...lol :ton:

Only one comes to my mind used to creep me out years ago: Ju-on (The Grudge) Japanese version.

The American adaptation was a big meh, not a moment brings chills to my bones. More like tickling it.

voltz
19-03-09, 07:21
Child's Play[/B]- Aaahh!! Love this moviee!! Soo glad they're doing a remake!! :hug:

This doesn't need to be remade. What we need is Hollywood to quit scraping the bottom of the barrel and make something original.

Survival
19-03-09, 08:23
Itīs more profitable to make remakes of already known movies/series.

Just look at how original and new horror movies bomb in the boxoffice and remakes are getting more and more succesfull.

michaeldt
19-03-09, 08:58
I enjoyed the 'Childs Play' series :)

Andyroo
19-03-09, 14:18
I like 'Wolf Creek' the best, might make you think twice about backpacking in Australia,...heh heh heh heh heh heh.....

I liked Cloverfield, the doco type movie really puts you there i think, but i didn't think it was scary, but it was boring when they sat around and cried and stuff.

I prefer movies that are actually plausible, I don't like movies about ghosts and a guy wearing a hockey mask walking around killing people and nobody can kill him, and especially don't like movies where the whole town or the sheriff is in on it (like house of 1000 corpses)

Andy.

Jo269976
19-03-09, 14:18
Posted this in the NOES remake thread, but deserves a mention here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxPmOP1_HIY

Note: NOT the real trailer.

Lara's Nemesis
20-03-09, 23:40
Well horror is very wide genre... it isnīt just one thing or another. Iīm not sure how exactly have you meant tha "you donīt see a lot of horror" because more then ever in horror movies like The Haunting itīs the unknown and unseen thatīs the "horror".

I hope that makes sense... sorry I donīt want to be rude or anything.

And now Iīm no longer reacting to your post => :D by the way I hate when someone says "This and that isnīt a horror movie becase thereīs no gore (-seriously WTF?-)" or "This and that is not a horror movie because itīs good/is not scary/is not supernatural (another major WTF from my side)/etc" that really gets my blood boiling for some reason :p. (Yeah just had one of those heated discussions with a person who knew **** about what he was forcing me to accept as my opinion :rolleyes::D)

I wasn't saying there was no horror in "The Haunting". Of course there is. I was trying to say that it was more of a psychological horror than a lot of other films. There is no obvious monster like Dracula, Frankenstien's monster, Jason etc. The way it uses sound effects is genius and terrifying.

I prefer films that deal with it in this way rather than having too much gore or a huge body count.

Survival
21-03-09, 06:50
I wasn't saying there was no horror in "The Haunting". Of course there is. I was trying to say that it was more of a psychological horror than a lot of other films. There is no obvious monster like Dracula, Frankenstien's monster, Jason etc. The way it uses sound effects is genius and terrifying.

I prefer films that deal with it in this way rather than having too much gore or a huge body count.

Of course I know that thatīs why I said I am no longer relaying to your original post but speaking in general :tmb: :) And I agree :)

Oh Willard is another brilliant very smart, funny, moving, creepy and crawly horror movie :tmb:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V3FDR05KL._SS500_.jpg