PDA

View Full Version : Turritopsis nutricula: the world's only 'immortal' creature

touchthesky
15-03-09, 18:58
This is pretty interesting stuff;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article5594539.ece

Jellyfish usually die after propagating but Turritopsis reverts to a sexually immature stage after reaching adulthood and is capable of rejuvenating itself.

The 4-5mm diameter creature, technically known as a hydrozoan, is the only known animal that is capable of reverting to its juvenile polyp state.

Theoretically, this cycle can repeat indefinitely, rendering it potentially immortal.

Atlantisfreak666
15-03-09, 18:59
Wow, interesting!

EmeraldFields
15-03-09, 19:47
Nice find!:tmb:

Gabi
15-03-09, 19:50
Jellyfish usually die after propagating but Turritopsis reverts to a sexually immature stage after reaching adulthood and is capable of rejuvenating itself.

The 4-5mm diameter creature, technically known as a hydrozoan, is the only known animal that is capable of reverting to its juvenile polyp state.

Theoretically, this cycle can repeat indefinitely, rendering it potentially immortal.
I can see humankind going mad trying to achieve the same. Only a matter of time.

violentblossom
15-03-09, 19:52
whoa :O

toxicraider
15-03-09, 19:52
Wow, That's incredible :eek:
I wonder how long they've been around for.

Rivendell
15-03-09, 19:56
I read about this a few months back and it totally fascinated me! It's very likely something scientists are already trying to link to human DNA and achieve the same goal.

:tmb:

Forwen
15-03-09, 20:06

"Theoretically" and "potentially" don't translate as a fact. What is the longest lifespan of this creature actually observed?

just croft
15-03-09, 20:09
I can see humankind going mad trying to achieve the same. Only a matter of time.

Agreed! Took me 2 seconds to think of that... Can only imagine all those scientists that knew this already...

laralover_07
15-03-09, 20:11

Indeed, I can see them trying to combine the DNA with humans in the near future.

Lee croft
15-03-09, 20:12

your probably right.... i wouldnt mind a booster every now and then when i get old but not to live forever ... and im even scread of dieing

Lavinder
15-03-09, 20:23
I would love to be immortal, but have the choice to kill myself. :jmp:

Gabi
15-03-09, 20:45
"Theoretically" and "potentially" don't translate as a fact. What is the longest lifespan of this creature actually observed?
Spoilsport, spoilsport! :ton:

Drone
15-03-09, 20:49
I've heard about it. Interesting stuff, but it's not only immortal creature in the world. There are some others but I can't remember their names and don't want to either lol. Even tho everlasting virginity sounds fun

GenyaArikado
15-03-09, 21:36

yes, but it will end up being catasthropic (we should stop from playing God)

violentblossom
15-03-09, 21:51
I would love to be immortal, but have the choice to kill myself. :jmp:

LOL. Lav, that sounds very Twilight. :p What would Jamie think?

I want one of these jellies as a pet. :whi:

Spong
15-03-09, 22:19

Like Forwen said, those words alone dismiss the rest of the article entirely. There's absolutely no way of proving the claim.