PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider tv show

referee
15-03-09, 19:40
There r so many shows nowadays, it wouldn't be so far fetched to have one based on Lara Croft; I think it'd be a great show cos, unlike movies, shows allow the writers to develop characters and their respective personalities. I believe it would be better than having action packed movies that look like the cutscenes of a video game u can't play.
I'd like to hear the opinions from my fellow forum raiders so, post on:)

TR 4 LIFE
15-03-09, 20:21
that would awesome :D But theres some videos on youtube that invlove cartoons of Lara Croft...but man, it makes fun of her so much :/

referee
15-03-09, 20:28
yeah, but I think it's time to raise it to a proper level and produce a proper show

Phys
15-03-09, 20:28
Hmm i'm not sure... I can't really see a show with several episodes based on Miss Croft.

referee
15-03-09, 20:35
Hmm i'm not sure... I can't really see a show with several episodes based on Miss Croft.

Regardless of that, I think the fanbase would warrant, at least, a pilot episode; if the show didn't have quality, it would be canceled, but it's my guess it would do superbly ratings wise, at least initially, for every fan would take a peek at it.

Spong
15-03-09, 21:57
Relic Hunter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0207919/plotsummary) anyone?
Not that I've ever watched it, the few clips I've seen make it look terrible.

Dustie
15-03-09, 22:04
It's hard to get anything done nowadays, so many bad shows get produced and when you actually have a good idea and skills to execute it, you have to go through hell to make it happen, if you ever even manage to begin with.

It would have to be a really good script and as far as tomb raiding goes, I don't think there's ever been an actually good and successful show like that out there...

There's plenty of good stories in the comic books, but then again their scale is often just too big to have them properly retold in a TV-scale production.

Bottom line is, good idea but - like every other - it needs good execution.

Agent 47
15-03-09, 22:12
the only way i can envisage a TR series is if the collective TR fanbase on THIS forum have a meeting of minds and create an internet based fan series :D

anything is possible in this day and age. the fans are talented enough to take on such a project.

referee
16-03-09, 01:23
the only way i can envisage a TR series is if the collective TR fanbase on THIS forum have a meeting of minds and create an internet based fan series :D

anything is possible in this day and age. the fans are talented enough to take on such a project.

To write it, definitely, but who would actually be in charge of shooting, acting and producing the thing? LOl
In any case, I just think it'd be a gold mine given the huge worldwide fanbase. I agree it'd be really difficult to make something epic, and of course the show would only be 2nd best in relation to the games - just like the movies - but, then again, games and film r 2 different mediums which can't be compared.
What I think is, with so many comic book/video games based characters sprung into the big and small screens, it's a wonder no one remembered yet to do a series with Lara Croft. It would be a great way to make some dough, at least until it began to suck.

Agent 47
16-03-09, 01:54
To write it, definitely, but who would actually be in charge of shooting, acting and producing the thing? LOl
In any case, I just think it'd be a gold mine given the huge worldwide fanbase. I agree it'd be really difficult to make something epic, and of course the show would only be 2nd best in relation to the games - just like the movies - but, then again, games and film r 2 different mediums which can't be compared.
What I think is, with so many comic book/video games based characters sprung into the big and small screens, it's a wonder no one remembered yet to do a series with Lara Croft. It would be a great way to make some dough, at least until it began to suck.

i do agree, but in today's world if you want something doing you do it yourself. although Lara is marketable, i don't think a tv studio has the guts to try it :(

you'd be surprised at what a fanbase can do :D who knows Lara better than the fans?

michaeldt
16-03-09, 12:51
this should be turned into a poll.

Voni
16-03-09, 12:55
I personally would love to see one made for TV, but it's not likely. Lara isn't as popular as the other gaming franchises out there today.

trXD
16-03-09, 12:57
I actually think tomb raider is one of the few game series where a tv show would actually work.

mizuno_suisei
16-03-09, 13:06
I don't think it would really work. I mean, Tomb Raider is a game, I have so much fun playing the games than watching the movies. And I don't hate the movies, I like them very much. but its much more thrilling being able to control what Lara does. Yeah, the small Lara croft based videos are fine, but I think a 30minute episode per night sorta thing wouldnt work.

Ryu-Gi
16-03-09, 14:46
Something kinda like what they did with the Re/Visioned series would be pretty awesome.

On the topic of a fan-created TR series, it would be pretty awesome if we could use the XNALara program Dusan developed for a 3D animated series. I've already got some ideas for a story...

aileenwuornos
16-03-09, 14:50
I thought it had already been done?

Look up ReVisioned: Tomb Raider Animated Series on wikipedia or google. It had Minnie Driver as the voice of Lara. It's pretty darned cool. I think it's unofficial. Can't remember though.

disneyprincess20
16-03-09, 14:52
Relic Hunter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0207919/plotsummary) anyone?
Not that I've ever watched it, the few clips I've seen make it look terrible.

This is the reason I don't want a TR TV show. Relic Hunter got very far-fetched and repetitive towards the end, and they even included an Alister-esque character before the Alister we know and despise (sorry Kzaas) was introduced to the games. I'd rather Lara stuck to video games!

Tomb-Dude
23-03-09, 21:00
Copy and pasted from my thread which is closed due to the fact is another *smacks self for not using search button*

but yeah this is what i said... what do you think?

But yeah me and my dad got on the discussion of Tomb Raider Legend today and he mentioned the starting cutscene where Lara is jumping around and it has that music etc etc. He said it didn't remind him of a movie but a TV series, i was all against the idea saying so many fan would be up in the air about it complaining and things that it wouldn't be right, they actress would have to be perfect Lara but they can't get the perfect Lara because there are so many variasions (sp?) of Lara too so many people.
But what changed my mind was when he mentioned the "Terminator - Sarah Connor Chronicles" Very risky, but it works well and is quite popular, over here and i think (guessing) over in America.

So the discusion went on whilst on our drive home, instead of cramming a adventure into 90mins or something. Do a series of it, and each episode leaving it on a cliff hanger. Or that "level" is completed, but instead of suddenly jumping from location. It's explained and shown in a longer space of time.
The only way i personally think this would work is if we had a good enough, kick ass actress. Doesn't have to be a star, we don't even need someone famous but someone who can act, looks awesome with guns. The budget would have to be pretty good to make it look decent, and make the storyline gripping. Have decent storywritters someone with real good imagination, but someone who can also write and make something different, gripping, exciting and out of the ordanary.

And relic hunter is bad, different story each time. Don't make Tomb Raider Tv series seperate story one story per series. like 10 episodes or 12. 12 hours of adventure when originally it was crammed in 90mins :\
Relic hunter baddd.... Never create anything like that again.

Reggie
23-03-09, 21:46

That's kind of what TR:Reborn will eventually be once released. Its meant to be a series of videos that continues the storyline of TR:AOD. It wasn't originally meant to be a show but its kind of developed into that now. Just think a grown up version of Jackanory and you've got the concept for it. :D

Anyway, this isn't plugging or anything, just that the meeting of minds to create a fan based series struck a chord. I really hope we can fully realise this. Since we've gotten back together, the ideas have come together better than before and the fact we've worked out a solid concept is a significant step. All the considerations and implications that go with something like this really deserve a LOT of thought.

Btw, Minnie Driver did a brilliant job. I'd forgotten about her. :tmb:

MattTR
23-03-09, 22:44
I'd love a Tomb Raider series.. it would burn time between games and may be a little interesting though.. as long as it's not like Legend, it'll be great. :D

Just has to be done right. :p

peeves
24-03-09, 00:02
I'd love a Tomb Raider series.. it would burn time between games and may be a little interesting though.. as long as it's not like Legend, it'll be great. :D

Just has to be done right. :p

Matt i agree same here tomb raider series TR's 1-6 including the golds and bonus levels and classic mansions but not TRL TRA nor TRU. If this happens it'll be pretty decent.

Tony9595
24-03-09, 01:02
I think that most of you saw Tomb Raider Ascencion, I think that a tv show like that would be perfect, Ive lost interest on TV since a long time ago, a TR show can make me return to that old box :ton:

aileenwuornos
24-03-09, 03:01
I think that most of you saw Tomb Raider Ascencion, I think that a tv show like that would be perfect, Ive lost interest on TV since a long time ago, a TR show can make me return to that old box :ton:

I thought Ascension was a movie not a TV show? I suppose if you aired it in parts it could possibly work.

Yeah, TV is pretty lame :ton:

Tony9595
24-03-09, 03:07
I thought Ascension was a movie not a TV show? I suppose if you aired it in parts it could possibly work.

Yeah, TV is pretty lame :ton:

yup it was a movie, what I meant is that a TV show like TR Ascencion would be amazing, it really had the Tomb Raider feeling :D

referee
25-03-09, 23:27
instead of cramming a adventure into 90mins or something. Do a series of it, and each episode leaving it on a cliff hanger. Or that "level" is completed, but instead of suddenly jumping from location. It's explained and shown in a longer space of time.

That's exactly what I had in mind when I posted this thread

P.S. I quoted tomb-dude but, for some reason, it's not as usually is.

Lemmie
26-03-09, 00:37
I used to watch 'Relic Hunter' - which had a complete disregard for history, mythology and dramatic quality. I just liked the men that appeared on it.

If there was a TV show it would only really work in cartoon form. There was that ReVisioned Series a while ago with Minnie Driver wasn't there...

EDIT: As some people have said, a form like the comic books might work. Little self contained episodes in one longer story.