PDA

View Full Version : What dreams may come...

violentblossom
16-03-09, 14:49
Hi, all.

Okay, so basically, ever since i can remember, i have had terrible and frigtening nightmares on an almost nightly basis.

Alot of them don't really cause me much harm, i.e loss of sleep, disturbed and lingering thoughts about them the next day, etcetera, but every once in a while one will come along that is very visually shocking and horribly memorable and it will bother me for about a week.

I don't know where on earth alot of the elements of my dreams come from.. they sometimes just flat-out floor and suprise me.

The one that currently bothers me involves myself and my fiancee being trapped in a very dark pit with sunlight streaming through the top of the opening. We don't know how we got there, but there is an evil, unseen presence there that commands us to (through a horrific mechanical device) kill alot of seemingly innocent creatures (people, animals, and such), or else we will ourselves be killed. I won't go into further deatil, as i understand that we do have some young members here...

The dreams are usually very vibrantly violent and bloody.

My question is, apart from getting a brain transplant, is there any way to sort of change my dreams or at least not have nightmares anymore? I think i'm a pretty sane and nonviolent individual, so really, i feel kind of like these dreams belong to someone else.. like i'm an FM radio getting AM.

Is seeing a shrink the solution?

Even as a child, i had these kinds of dreams.

What's wrong with me?

Xtasy2008
16-03-09, 15:00
Do you exercise on a daily basis?

violentblossom
16-03-09, 15:02
if boxing counts, then yes.

Neteru
16-03-09, 15:02
Seeing a psychotherapist could help.

It could simply be the case that you are actually quite repressed in terms of your negative emotions, and the only real way they can find acceptable (to you) expression is through your dreams. From this point of view analysis, as mentioned, could help you come to terms with your own dark emotions/impulses. The more you can come to accept such feelings within yourself, the less likely you are to have such dreams as you do.

spikejones
16-03-09, 15:08
I believe that dreams are a compilation of:

A) real events that have happened
B) our subconscious

I think if you want to stop having these nightmares, you should face that fear which is causing it. That fear may not be obvious on the surface, but is most likely a latent effect of a past event. Seeing a psychiatrist / counselor can help to draw that up and help deal with it, rather than repressing it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a "psychiatrist" though - if you are uncomfortable opening up around them. But there are undoubtedly things that you need to be able to talk about with someone. Even if it is a painful subject. We tend to repress painful things and not talk about them. These things get "buried" in our subconscious and haunt us in our sleep.

Nannonxyay
16-03-09, 15:10
I think you should see a Psychiatrist or Counselor to help you through your dreams and find out what triggers them so they can help repress them. :)

Xtasy2008
Seeing a psychotherapist could help.

It could simply be the case that you are actually quite repressed in terms of your negative emotions, and the only real way they can find acceptable (to you) expression is through your dreams. From this point of view analysis, as mentioned, could help you come to terms with your own dark emotions/impulses. The more you can come to accept such feelings within yourself, the less likely you are to have such dreams as you do.

This dude is right.

Dreams are the way in which your sub-conscience mind communicates with you. Although you may be convinced you do not have any lingering emotional dread, it may be wise to think carefully to yourself and be honest with yourself in order to really come to grips with your feelings and fears. Once you have established that you do indeed have these feelings, you can work on trying to relinquish them.

Thorough exercise is essential for a healthy, balanced mind. You mentioned you do boxing frequently which is great. Might I advise you try some cardiovascular exercises in which you keep your heart rate at an elevated level for a lengthy period of time too? Running on a treadmill for 20-30 minutes each day can do wonders.

disneyprincess20
I get nightmares quite frequently, usually spiders or drowning, occasionally fish (I'm an ichthyophobe). I find changing what and when I eat in the evening can go some way to helping. I don't have caffine after 6pm, and try not to eat after 10pm (but sometimes the biccies call to me!). Also alcohol either makes them worse or better (depending on the quantity, but I don't recommend it). Also, as stated above, working out physically and mentally can tire you so much you might not have a nightmare. Just a couple of suggestions :)

Lee croft
16-03-09, 15:14
i get this as well but not as often as you say you do but is some thing troubleing you maybe?

violentblossom
16-03-09, 15:15
It is odd, isn't it, how lack of physical activity and certain daily regiments and what/when you eat can afftect this stuff?

Fascinating.

Unfortunately, i cannot at this time afford any kind of formal therapy, though i'd love to be able to have access to those kinds of resources.

EDIT: Nothing in particular is bothering me right now.. as i said, i've had these dreams for many years.

disneyprincess20
16-03-09, 15:18
It is odd, isn't it, how lack of physical activity and certain daily regiments and what/when you eat can afftect this stuff?

Fascinating.

Unfortunately, i cannot at this time afford any kind of formal therapy, though i'd love to be able to have access to those kinds of resources.

It's really bizarre how what you do and eat can affect your mind. It's a case of what you put in is what you get out. Sometimes I think the dreams are because I eat no fish at all.

spikejones
16-03-09, 15:25

Fascinating.

EDIT: Nothing in particular is bothering me right now.. as i said, i've had these dreams for many years.
people used to tell me that eating chocolate right before bed would make me have nightmares - that was a lie
as for the exercise issue - I sit around at the computer mostly on many days, and I haven't had a nightmare in a long time.

you don't need to talk to a psychologist per se vb...
think about things in your past that have greatly affected you in a negative way.

Lee croft
16-03-09, 15:25
It's really bizarre how what you do and eat can affect your mind. It's a case of what you put in is what you get out. Sometimes I think the dreams are because I eat no fish at all.

i dont eat fish they are friends not food!!! :D can not eating them really give you nightmares? :confused:

disneyprincess20
16-03-09, 15:27
i dont eat fish they are friends not food!!! :D can not eating them really give you nightmares? :confused:

I don't know, but general observations tell me that my diet has an effect on the frequency/severity of my nightmares, and fish is the one main food group mising from my diet. I just can't bring myself to eat them.

Encore
16-03-09, 15:27
I think meditation could be helpful... If anything, to help you relax properly.

Xtasy2008
16-03-09, 15:48
I think meditation could be helpful... If anything, to help you relax properly.

This is a great idea. This is also the why a cardiovascular workout can help. You will feel energized afterwards, but relaxed.

spikejones
16-03-09, 15:57
right.. a lot of the things people mention like exercise and diet - are good for staying healthy physically, but don't quite cut it for mental and emotional issues. The chemicals in food and hormones released by exercise may serve the purpose to excite or subdue brain activity, but those are merely masking what is still there. It doesn't fix the underlying issue.

I'd personally find it more liberating to continue to eat and do the same things that I do, and deal with the emotional issues and thereby quell the negative dreams - than to ignore the emotional issues and change everything else.

Meditation is a good thing though - this is more on the spiritual side of things and can help to channel into the subconscious and find what it is that causing the dreams.

violentblossom
16-03-09, 16:02
i may have to look into this meditation thing.. the word gives me a visual of someone sitting cross-legged and humming "OHM!" over and over, but obviously, there must be more to it. :p

spikejones
16-03-09, 16:06
that's a Buddhist method of meditation. it doesn't have to be done that way. I meditate by going out in nature - sitting quietly - and taking things in.

Xtasy2008
16-03-09, 16:15
i may have to look into this meditation thing.. the word gives me a visual of someone sitting cross-legged and humming "OHM!" over and over, but obviously, there must be more to it. :p

It's certainly worth a shot! It can initially be very difficult as you ideally need to completely quiet your mind and shut away all thoughts, but with some determination and practice, you can eventually reach a completely calm state of mind. Most people who meditate usually find it makes their day that bit easier and more relaxed.

disneyprincess20
16-03-09, 17:29
right.. a lot of the things people mention like exercise and diet - are good for staying healthy physically, but don't quite cut it for mental and emotional issues. The chemicals in food and hormones released by exercise may serve the purpose to excite or subdue brain activity, but those are merely masking what is still there. It doesn't fix the underlying issue.

I'd personally find it more liberating to continue to eat and do the same things that I do, and deal with the emotional issues and thereby quell the negative dreams - than to ignore the emotional issues and change everything else.

I've found altering my diet useful in preventing the dreams. I'm just sharing my experiences with someone who has a similar problem.

EmeraldFields
16-03-09, 21:25
I keep a dream journal of all of the dreams I can remember from the night before. I can often relate them to how i'm feeling or events that occurred the day before i had the dream. I find it a nice way to reflect.:)

spikejones
16-03-09, 21:49
I've found altering my diet useful in preventing the dreams. I'm just sharing my experiences with someone who has a similar problem.
right but no dreams = no good dreams as well. I understand why it can have that affect, I'm not discounting that at all. I'm just saying that doing that is only preventing dreams, but is not dealing with the issue that causes that particular recurring dream.

patriots88888
16-03-09, 22:55
I'm not saying this to be funny and certainly not to offend, but do you use controlled substances at all? Or have you at any time in your life used them? They can directly lead to this type of disturbances in your sleeping habits and dreams.

violentblossom
16-03-09, 23:27
I'm not saying this to be funny and certainly not to offend, but do you use controlled substances at all? Or have you at any time in your life used them? They can directly lead to this type of disturbances in your sleeping habits and dreams.

no, i don't use them, and i haven't for the past, about 4 years.

as i said in my opening statement, though, i have had them since childhood, though since that time, i've been given more to trigger them.

i probably do have alot of supressed anger, though i'd figured before this that i was over all that stuff. :(

disneyprincess20
17-03-09, 08:15
right but no dreams = no good dreams as well. I understand why it can have that affect, I'm not discounting that at all. I'm just saying that doing that is only preventing dreams, but is not dealing with the issue that causes that particular recurring dream.

It doesn't stop me dreaming, it just stops me having the nightmares as frequently as I used to.

VB, have you talked to someone about this? I'm not talking about a professional, but someone close to you like your partner who could maybe help you with your feelings, like surpressed anger?

EscondeR
17-03-09, 08:26
To put my to cents:

Dreams are like recompilation of actual (seen before), possible and unreal events, characters, etc. You mind is analysing different variants generally. Therefore I can advise you to find some art involving activity. E.g. when my book was in "composing" stage (and it is sci-fi) I almost have no dreams as I had to recompile too many events during daytime.

chobits743
17-03-09, 11:00
Hm, maybe trying an over-the-counter vitamin, like melatonin, might help. I tried taking this vitamin for a couple of months, since I was having weird dreams and problems sleeping, and it turned most of my dreams back to good stuff. Mind you, you will still be dreaming, and a lot, since melatonin makes you stay in REM sleep longer. It is only about $3 here, so it is not expensive.

Just my 2 cents. It helped me, but it might not help everybody. It did not help my dad when he had weird nightmares, but he took prescription doses of the stuff. I would try to watch what I eat and how much caffeine I drink before I would go to bed also. I know I had a confusing nightmare the other night when I ate shrimp scampi at 8:00!

violentblossom
17-03-09, 13:44
It doesn't stop me dreaming, it just stops me having the nightmares as frequently as I used to.

VB, have you talked to someone about this? I'm not talking about a professional, but someone close to you like your partner who could maybe help you with your feelings, like surpressed anger?

my fiancee Josh knows about my dreams, i will tell him about them. he doesn't know what to say about them, but he does listen.

Hm, maybe trying an over-the-counter vitamin, like melatonin, might help. I tried taking this vitamin for a couple of months, since I was having weird dreams and problems sleeping, and it turned most of my dreams back to good stuff. Mind you, you will still be dreaming, and a lot, since melatonin makes you stay in REM sleep longer. It is only about $3 here, so it is not expensive.

Hmm. Interesting. I'll look into it.

to EscondeR: i paint on my computer, lol. the results (in some form of working progress, usually) show up here in the Arts section.

EscondeR
17-03-09, 15:25
^ It depends on genre basically. The point here is that you need to decide what sort of action to depict by some means, not still life or portraits. Therefore fantasy art or writing of any genre is welcome. In simple words: if you decide what variant of future to apply to your characters numerous times, you'll have less dreams most likely.

violentblossom
17-03-09, 15:27
^ It depends on genre basically. The point here is that you need to decide what sort of action to depict by some means, not still life or portraits. Therefore fantasy art or writing of any genre is welcome. In simple words: if you decide what variant of future to apply to your characters numerous times, you'll have less dreams most likely.

i do fantasy stuff. *nods*

that's really interesting.