PDA

View Full Version : My Cat's Gone Missing - What to do?

Nannonxyay
17-03-09, 09:51
Ok, so I let my cat out Sunday afternoon at around 3-4pm, it is now Tuesday morning, 9:50am. I'm really worried about him, as he does sometimes go away for about a day, but normally not as long as this.

When he went out he had a cut in his neck from fighting with other cats, but we thought he'd be fine, and we didn't want to keep him in because he was crying to go out. I'm extremely worried about him, and it's heartbreaking thinking that maybe he's dead. :(

The worst thing is, he didn't have a collar, and so if somebody finds him, they won't know where he lives. He's always getting into fights, so we're worried he might just have gotten into a fight with a dog or something and got killed. :(

Has anyone got any advice on what I should do? I know about the whole, put posters up and stuff, but I really don't think that would work. And my parent's won't let me knock on doors to ask people if they've seen him.

:( I just don't know what to do. I really don't think he's going to come back, because he's never done this before. Has anyone else had a pet which went missing then returned after a long period of time?

I just hope he returns, alive and well. :(

touchthesky
17-03-09, 11:37
Phone your local cat shelter.
Phone the cat protection agency.
Go out and look for your cat..look everywhere..even in the silliest of places.
Ask your neighbours to keep an eye out.

I hope your kitty is fine and well <3.

EscondeR
17-03-09, 11:43

And those who drive especially.

Hope for the best. That's the season most cats tend to "travel" for several days even.

SoulReaver74
17-03-09, 11:49
I understand how your feeling, many years ago when i moved my cat went missing for about 3 days so me an my sister printed off some leaflets and posted them to most of the properties in our area and by shear luck we found our cat hiding in someones garden about 15 minuites from where we live, which meant he had crossed 2 main roads to get there, "lucky Boy indeed". All i can recomend is that you put posters up around your area like you've suggested and maybe a poster in one of your local shops, newspapers etc.., hopefully then he will turn up. My cat was notorious for getting into fights with other cats but always made it home.. much to my amazement, broken tail, half chewed ear, chiped fang, and countless scracthes, WW3 on legs but always found his way home to me. I will keep my fingures crossed your cat comes home safely.

Angelx14
17-03-09, 12:51
Do nothing. If the home it lived in was a happy place for it, it will come sooner or later. It's just frightened. Or you could make prints of your cat and post it around your local area.

*laralover*
17-03-09, 13:06
Aw i hope you find your cat :(

rowanlim
17-03-09, 13:09
Phone your local cat shelter.
Phone the cat protection agency.
Go out and look for your cat..look everywhere..even in the silliest of places.

I hope your kitty is fine and well <3.

Good advice :tmb: I hope you find your cat soon :hug:

Changeling
17-03-09, 13:19
Just keep an eye out for him any time that you're out, I'm sure he should return. :o My cat went missing for 2 weeks once! I was devistated! But he eventually found his way back to me. You could also try the poster thing as well. :hug:

Nannonxyay
17-03-09, 13:20
Guys, I just went downstairs and what did I find? My cat was sitting at the window, meowing to get in. He looks healthy, only a little thin from not having food, but he's chomping away at it at the moment. :D I'm so happy that he's back. I get way too paranoid, I should really not worry about these things so much. :p

jjbennett
17-03-09, 13:22
^ Now it's safely back get a collar or microchip on it - or both.

interstellardave
17-03-09, 13:28
Guys, I just went downstairs and what did I find? My cat was sitting at the window, meowing to get in. He looks healthy, only a little thin from not having food, but he's chomping away at it at the moment. :D I'm so happy that he's back. I get way too paranoid, I should really not worry about these things so much. :p

GREAT!!! :D

^ Now it's safely back get a collar or microchip on it - or both.

Absolutely... pay heed to this advice. ;)

irjudd
17-03-09, 13:55
I really don't like the idea of indoor/outdoor cats. I feel like it should be one or the other. I'd never let my cats outside, since it can cut their lifespan short.

Nannonxyay
17-03-09, 13:59
Every time we buy him a collar it goes missing. We think maybe someone's taking them off him or something. :confused:

MrCroftAndre
17-03-09, 14:06
Glad to know that your cat is back! :D

Voni
17-03-09, 14:26
Every time we buy him a collar it goes missing. We think maybe someone's taking them off him or something. :confused:

I think I remember you mentioning this once. I'd say get him microchipped, no one can remove that!

violentblossom
17-03-09, 14:39
cats are extremely hardy and smart.

this happened to me.

back in September, my cat disappeared.. we live in the country, so when he didn't come back after a few days, i assumed he was dead and didn't go out to call him anymore.

then, back in January, my fiancee found my cat in an open house lot a few houses down.

don't lose hope. he may find his way yet.

Nannonxyay
17-03-09, 14:42
I think it's partly due to him not being neutered. We were planning on getting him neutered, but didn't have a chance to take him. We're gonna get it done in the near future though, so he doesn't stray away from home so much.

touchthesky
17-03-09, 15:08
Glad to hear he's back. Definately get him neutered, and a micro-chip fitted. He'll most likely stop fighting as much if he's done as well.

*laralover*
17-03-09, 19:04
Glad hes back safe! :D Yeah id get him chipped and neautered...You can get vouchers from cats protection to help money costs too (i got some)

angelfaithrox
17-03-09, 19:25

SoulReaver74
17-03-09, 21:37
I'm glad your cat has finally returned home, i has a feeling it would, seems like hunger got the better of it, now make sure you get your feline micro-chiped and neutered like others have mentioned. :)

Hairhelmet12
17-03-09, 22:41
Im glad you have your cat back.

once when i was little we had a cat and we let it out one day and he never came back! i wonder what happend to him. it was so heartbreaking for me as a child.

Shark_Blade
18-03-09, 02:13
I always dream of having a GPRS collar for my cat. That way I will know where he/she is at a precise location on the globe.

*sigh*

Is there such a thing? I wouldn't mind investing. My cats been gone without a trace for several time in the past. :(

ECB
18-03-09, 03:11
That's great that you found your cat! :)

I'd reccomend getting a collar though. :D

Thorir
18-03-09, 03:32
Glad he is back. :)
Now. Unless you want this to happen again, you should neuter him and get him microchipped. It shouldn't be surprising that a intact outdoor male will fight and roam around and get injured or have accidents.

Neuter him and he won't go far away, and if he is found, he can be traced to the owners. :)

SpArKy
19-03-09, 20:06
I was going to suggest buying a new one!