PDA

View Full Version : Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoniosis

MyRaider4Life
18-03-09, 09:41
Hey Guys,
I was just wanting to know what the longest word you have ever heard is.
For me it is...
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoniosis

For people who are wanting to know what it is...
It is a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silicate or quartz dust." The word was invented by compounding pneumo-(lung) + ultramicroscopic + silicon + volcano + coniosis, from the Greek konis (dust).

I would love to hear the longest words you have heard of and there meanings too. :D

Off we go! :)

Ilves
18-03-09, 09:58
Totally stolen from here (http://help.berberber.com/forum37/55695-longest-word-finnish.html#post139196):

Epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydellänsäkäänköhän.

How's that for a tongue twister :)

michaeldt
18-03-09, 10:04
the longest word iv'e heard is

supercalorfrajalisticexpialidousious!
and antidisastablishmentterrianism

QiX
18-03-09, 10:19
I could tell, but unfortunatelly I am hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic and saying long and complicated words puts me in panic :D

Ilves
18-03-09, 10:23
I could tell, but unfortunatelly I am hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic and saying long and complicated words puts me in panic :D

:vlol: What's that? Fear of being squished by a giant hippo? :p

QiX
18-03-09, 10:55
hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia: fear of long words :p

"From hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian, an extension of sesquipedalian with monstrum "monster" and a truncated, misspelled form of hippopotamus, intended to exaggerate the length of the word itself and the idea of the size of the words being feared; combined with phobia." - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

Assassino
18-03-09, 10:57

Ditto!

26 syllables between them!

MiCkiZ88
18-03-09, 11:02
Totally stolen from here (http://help.berberber.com/forum37/55695-longest-word-finnish.html#post139196):

... Finnish is my native language and I can't even pronounce it.

Ikas90
18-03-09, 11:15
Whicheverretardedscientistinventedthatretardedword needsserioushelp.

]{eith
18-03-09, 11:17

Lol! :vlol:

Nefertiti_89
18-03-09, 11:20
"Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu"

The name of a place in NZ. Translated from Maori, it means: "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one."

MrBear
18-03-09, 11:23
"Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu"

The name of a place in NZ. Translated from Maori, it means: "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one."

Synthetic languages ftw? :p

Ilves
18-03-09, 11:53
Synthetic languages ftw? :p

Hangman's a blast :cool:

Alex Fly
18-03-09, 11:58
Our longest word in France is : anticonstitutionnellement (it is in the dictionnary and it's not hard to pronounce). It's not that big compared to yours as you can see. ;)

irjudd
18-03-09, 12:02
Far from being the longest I've heard, but my favorite and one that I actually look for opportunities to use in regular speech would be "Floccinaucinihilipilification"

Nefertiti_89
18-03-09, 12:15
Far from being the longest I've heard, but my favorite and one that I actually look for opportunities to use in regular speech would be "Floccinaucinihilipilification"

I have a word like that! Zoozanthellae but it is very difficult to work into everyday conversation :(

irjudd
18-03-09, 12:16
I've managed to use mine at least 3 times :D

I got a raised eyebrow each time.

spikejones
18-03-09, 12:17
bah... I bet none of you use those long words everyday :mis:

antithetical is one I've used a few times recently

Nefertiti_89
18-03-09, 12:18
I've managed to use mine at least 3 times :D

I got a raised eyebrow each time.

Lucky! I often just say mine when the conversation falls silent. My friends have become very used to this and prefer it to what I used to do in such a situation which was make cute little kitty noises lol

What does it mean btw?

irjudd
18-03-09, 12:19
bah... I bet none of you use those long words everyday :mis:

Awe spike why you gotta have such floccinaucinihilipilification with everyone else's word choices :(

spikejones
18-03-09, 12:27
because it is nihili facere if you don't use it ever in a meaningful manner ;)
when was the last time that someone talked about getting some sort of disease from inhaling the silica dust from a volcanic eruption, and ran around telling everyone they have Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoniosis (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=3534402#post3534402)

violentblossom
18-03-09, 12:30

i was gonna say both of these.

also, check the ingredients in any shampoo.. the last two words are doozies. i used to sit in my tub and try to say 'em out loud. :p

Survival
18-03-09, 13:30
Longest czech word is "nejnezdevětadevadesáteroznásobovávatelnějšími" :)

Simochka
18-03-09, 14:04
Well this is the name of a place in Wales
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrob wllllantysiliogogogoch

And I think the longest Swedish word is
Hyproneurokustiskakontradiafragmavibrationer

And

Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranlä ggningsmaterielunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskuss ionsinläggsförberedelsearbeten

M.A.
18-03-09, 15:19

Somebody is having a reminiscence about Ms Mary Poppins.... :D

glitterpaws
18-03-09, 16:32
The longest word has 189,819 letters :O

Clicky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_word_in_English)

SamL_
18-03-09, 16:35
... Finnish is my native language and I can't even pronounce it.

How is it ur native language when ure from the netherlands? :confused:

Gabi
18-03-09, 16:50
For the few German speakers:
Himbeermarmeladeneimerdeckelrandverzierungstuepfch en. :cln:

Edit: something strange is happening with this post. There should not be a space between the ch and the en at the end of the word, but no matter how often I edit it, it still shows up with the space for me. :confused:

tomblover
18-03-09, 16:53
The Finnish word for soap seller is hella hard. I don't exactly remember, but it starts with something like, saippa...

Coolest part: It's one of those words (Forgot what it's called.) that are the same backwards and forwards. :p

Neteru
18-03-09, 16:56
Edit: something strange is happeneing with this post. There should not be a space between the ch and the en at the end of the word, but no matter how often I edit it, it still shows up with the space for me. :confused:Forum safe guard against idiots who want to page stretch with unnecessarily long expressions of LOL and Hahaha and such like.

QiX
18-03-09, 17:03

OMFG!!! I Found the full name of it, check it out here: http://luminaryuprise.wikidot.com/longest-word

It's a protein better known as 'titin', I wonder why the full name didn't become popular, hhehhehe :p

Elmer
18-03-09, 17:08
For the few German speakers: Himbeermarmeladeneimerdeckelrandverzierungstuepfch en. :cln:

Edit: something strange is happeneing with this post. There should not be a space between the ch and the en at the end of the word, but no matter how often I edit it, it still shows up with the space for me. :confused:

I don't speak german but is it... a decoration on the edge of the cover of a jar used for storing raspberry marmelade?

irjudd
18-03-09, 17:09
I don't speak german but is it... a decoration on the edge of the cover of a jar used for storing raspberry marmelade?
I have no idea why this is so funny to me :D

Gabi
18-03-09, 17:09
Forum safe guard against idiots who want to page stretch with unnecessarily long expressions of LOL and Hahaha and such like.
But I am not one of those! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/Gabicats/Smilies/hmph.gif

Thanks, Net. :)
I did not know this.

@ Elmer: Yes, that is it, almost.

JonnyT
18-03-09, 17:13
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5b/New_Zealand_0577.jpg/300px-New_Zealand_0577.jpg

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu) :D

Place with the longest name in the world :P

Punaxe
18-03-09, 17:22
One word I for some reason always remember...

Brandweerslangenspuitstukbevestigingsschroefjesfab riek - factory producing the screws to fix the end of a fireman's hose to the rest of the hose. I got it from a comic. :o

Nemo_91
18-03-09, 17:31
Here are some really long Hungarian words:

- megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért
- elkelkáposztástalaníthatatlanságoskodásaitokért
- töredezettségmentesíthetetlenségeskedéseitekért

I don't even know what they mean, lol.

Joely-Moley
18-03-09, 17:54

Oh that's just cruel!

"long words make me panicky and get me upset"
"you have what's known as: hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia"
"Argh" *runs off in a panic*

Fish.
18-03-09, 18:26
That fear of long words sounds too ridiculous to be real. :p

For me, the longest word I've ever heard is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoniosis, but also antidisestablishmentarianism, and methylchloroisothiazolinone (it's in body washes and shampoos).

Sharon_14
18-03-09, 18:27
lolwutftwwhatdoyouwantfrommewiththisweridlongwords thatweneverhearedoflol?

SilviaIsMyHero
18-03-09, 18:32
NORDOSTERSJOKUSTARTILLERIFLYGSPANINGSSIMULATORANLA GGNINGSMATERIELUNDERHALLSUPPFOLJNINGSSYSTEMDISKUSS IONSINLAGGSFORBEREDELSEARBETEN

It means: preparatory work on the contribution to the discussion on the maintaining system of support of the material of the aviation survey simulator device within the north-east part of the coast artillery of the Baltic." :D:D:D

Legends
18-03-09, 19:02
For me it just looks like a bunch of letters thrown together. Luckily all words I ever use are short, sharp and sexy! :D

raiderfun
18-03-09, 19:06
Wow, those words are so long, I wonder which one it is in dutsh :D

In French, it's : anticonstitutionnellement

Your_Envy*
18-03-09, 19:17
I checked what's the longest Slovenian word.. :D

dialektičnomaterialističen

I have no idea how to translate you this. :o

But if we translate the longest English word (pneumonultramicroscopicsilicovulcanoconiosis) into Slovene, it comes like this: pnevmonultramikroskopiksilikovulkanokonioza.

:p

Sedge
18-03-09, 19:35
The Finnish word for soap seller is hella hard. I don't exactly remember, but it starts with something like, saippa...

Coolest part: It's one of those words (Forgot what it's called.) that are the same backwards and forwards. :p
Oh, you mean saippuakauppias! Yeah, palindromes are awesome (..but that one's not even hard! :ton:). :p

badboy70
18-03-09, 19:35
In dutch, which still somewhat makes sense, because you can keep adding words in dutch ( commenly used thing is hottentottententen, and then you add whatever you want) is this one, I think

kindercarnavalsoptochtvoorbereidingswerkzaamhedenc omitéleden

child fair carnaval procession preparation work committee members

Elmer
18-03-09, 19:37
I have no idea why this is so funny to me :D

Well it is right!:) (Almost)

Edit: In Dutch you can compose words as long as you want, just by puting other words together.

"Boswachtershutjesontwerpersbedrijfscentrumparkpark eerplaatswachterhondentrainerscursus"

(Definition: A training course for watchdogs that patroll on a parking-installation nearby a concern where people work whom design little huts for rangers.)

(Can some one please tell me where the use of the word 'whom' is correct, where it is not, and why? Just something I always wondered:))

Edit: Yay thanks:)

Gabi
18-03-09, 19:50
Well it is right!:) (Almost)
Yes, you have done well, only that the jar is a bucket and it has decoration dots.
Well done. :tmb:

just croft
18-03-09, 21:43
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoniosis

Since my portuguese teacher told me scientific names like this aren't exactly words (eg. do you commonly see them in the dictionary) the longest word I know in portuguese is: "Anticonstitucionalissimamente", which means that something is highly against the constitucion.

Sir Croft
18-03-09, 21:53

"From hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian, an extension of sesquipedalian with monstrum "monster" and a truncated, misspelled form of hippopotamus, intended to exaggerate the length of the word itself and the idea of the size of the words being feared; combined with phobia." - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

How ironic :vlol:

"So, do you have any phobia?"
"Yes, one"
"Which one?"
"Hippo... hippo... hippopot..." *panics and runs away screaming*

MyRaider4Life
20-03-09, 05:31

The way to actually pronounce the word is Titin

TR love
20-03-09, 09:28
thats the longest iv every heard...and been able to pronounce, it took me ages though hehe.:D