PDA

View Full Version : Ingrown Toenails? - Anyone had them?

Nannonxyay
18-03-09, 09:55
I know this topic may gross some people out, but, I'm going to the doctors to get my ingrown toenail hopefully cut out tonight. And I was wondering, does it hurt when they do it? I've heard that it only hurts when they numb the toe and stick in the needle in, but when it wears off it hurts for like, days.

If so, do you reckon I'll be able to walk around tomorrow, and get about? Or will I not be able to walk because of the pain? And, will I be able to do physical exercise, like in PE? Because my teachers are really strict on PE and pretty much force us to do it. I guess, I'll get my doctor to right me a note...

And what are you experiences? Have you ever had surgery done on an ingrown toenail? And how long does it hurt for, how long does the actual operation take?

Thanks in advanced. :)

Voni
18-03-09, 09:57
I know someone who had it done and said yeah, it hurts when they do it, but after that it should be ok. You'll be able to walk, at any rate. I'd ask the doctor about PE, though. If you shouldn't do it they should write you a note, and your school can't ignore that.

irjudd
18-03-09, 12:05
Why yes, this is a bizarre thread. I can't imagine anyone could go to length "discussing" this subject.

But since we're here... yes but I usually dig them out with a pocket knife myself.

Nannonxyay
18-03-09, 12:15
^ I'd rather have the doctor do mine to be honest, I'd end up getting my toe infected or something. :p

EmeraldFields
18-03-09, 12:20
I was in the room when my Mom had it done.

They give you a shot to numb your toe, then he used a knife to cut out a little sliver of toenail that was ingrown. She said that the shot was painful and that she still felt a little pain when he cut the nail out, but most of the distress came from the pressure that she felt on her toe.

You should be able to walk, but you would get out of PE for a couple days at least.

Lost_Soul
18-03-09, 12:22
Ugh I had that a few years back. And they cut it out right there in the clinic...didn't feel a thing. Only the doctor didn't do it right and it started growing again...and it got sort of infected so I had to stay in a hospital for a week or so...and have it operated on again.
(Sounds scary I guess but the chances of that little operation going wrong are small so don't worry)
And yeah the operation doesn't hurt at all...but I wasn't able to walk on it for a week at least. (I had to stay put the whole time and stay off my feet) I didn't have to go to school for 2 weeks. And no P.E for a month.
The first operation took only about 20 minutes.

Archetype
18-03-09, 12:23
I dropped a wine bottle while unpacking the shopping, which caused the nail on my big toe to splinter. Had to have the sides removed. Worst part was probably the local anesthetic because its a small area, which is mainly bone.

The anesthetic will wear off after about 8 hours, will feel a bit sore but nothing that a couple of paracetamol can't handle.

I was told to do salt water washes the day after.

P.E teachers can stuff it though, just get your mum or doctor to give you a note.

violentblossom
18-03-09, 12:34
Why yes, this is a bizarre thread. I can't imagine anyone could go to length "discussing" this subject.

But since we're here... yes but I usually dig them out with a pocket knife myself.

O.O

omg.

something tells me you'd be the last guy standing in the Saw movies.

Flyin11
18-03-09, 12:35
I had one done a couple of years ago. It hurts when they numb it but after that, it only hurts a little bit when it's healing and that's because it's healing. I had to have some stitches in mine so I was told to stay off of it for a day and to keep it propped up to limit the bleeding cause your feet is a area that will bleed a lot because it is a area that is constantly downward and then I could try and walk in about 2 days. I had to be careful I didn't rip the stitches or anything and had to keep it gauzed up with Neosporin so it wouldn't get infected. I was also told I had to take baths and I couldn't take a shower because I couldn't put any pressure on it. I went to a meeting at my work the very next day but had to prop my foot up on a chair. I planned it perfectly as I had it done on a Friday so that by Monday I could just be careful with it at my work. Trust me...You won't be doing any physical or athletic activites the first day so your P.E. teachers will just have to understand.

P.S. My operation was only about a hour, after the waiting for the doctor and all :rolleyes: I had to have my dad pick me up because it was on my right foot and I couldn't drive home. My dad dropped my mom off and they picked my car up and drove it back home for me.

Nannonxyay
18-03-09, 12:43
Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

And I guess I'll have to rest it for a few days when I get it done. I hope they really do sort it out tonight, because I've had it for over a year now.

spikejones
18-03-09, 12:48

this

sweetest-sin
18-03-09, 13:17

my toenails are short and i cut them with fine scissors

Flyin11
18-03-09, 13:58
Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

And I guess I'll have to rest it for a few days when I get it done. I hope they really do sort it out tonight, because I've had it for over a year now.

Yeah...After it's done, you should be good to go. Mine hasn't grown back yet. Then again, the doctor told me that he was destroying the matrix of the nail so that it wouldn't grow back. He said he couldn't 100% guarantee that it would NEVER grow back but it hasn't yet which is good news. He gave me the option of either losing the nail totally or keeping it and just destroying the matrix on that side. I chose to keep the nail.

You'll be fine...Just be careful with your feet and all in the future. A lot of people don't realize how much damage you can do to your toe nail just by having something dropped on it or even just by kicking a box or soccer ball. ;) I know I'm more alert now when it comes to my toes after what happened for me (I didn't worry about it before). ;)

Angelus
18-03-09, 14:12
I had ingrown toenails in both of my feet! I had to get them cut out, and I was off school for three weeks because I wasn't allowed to walk on them. I had to stay in bed with my feet up which sounds nice, but it was in the middle of summer.

EDIT: I chose to keep my nails, too. :vlol:

Draco
18-03-09, 14:26
It doesn't hurt nearly as much as the ingrown toenail did.

Nannonxyay
18-03-09, 14:27
A lot of people don't realize how much damage you can do to your toe nail just by having something dropped on it or even just by kicking a box or soccer ball.

Yeah, that's the problem. They expect me to balance and do running and stuff in PE when I can't put much pressure on it because it hurts too much. And the problem with school is, when lots of people come charging down a corridor and we all try to fit through double doors, results in toes being stepped on which is painful.

SoulReaver74
18-03-09, 15:01
A few years ago i had ingrown toenails in both my toes, made putting shoes and socks on an absolute nightmare, even getting into bed..when that duvet touch them.. there was so much pain, should have gone to the doctors like so many sensible people here on this thread but instead all i did was cut those imbeded nails out of there, made quiet a mess, i remember being in pain for about 6 months but after that they've been fine.. touch wood, probably jinxed myself now. :(

LaraCroftRox
18-03-09, 15:41
My friend's had it done, she said the needle kills, and it's hard to walk after, also, it didn't make any difference because it grew back the same.

Nannonxyay
18-03-09, 15:42
Apparently, you can ask for them to kill the cells so they don't grow back or something. :confused:

tampi
18-03-09, 15:49
http://i44.************/10pyr9u.jpg my feet :tea:

Big Matt
19-03-09, 01:46

I second that. At the first hint of one the little monsters it's time for a sharp pocket knife and clippers. No way am I going to pay someone else big money clip my unruly toenails for me.

voltz
19-03-09, 04:02
I haven't had to operate on mine, but I've always had an issue with the sides growing since god knows how long ago. I have come to be quite skilled in using just clippers to get in there.

Angelus
19-03-09, 21:08
Apparently, you can ask for them to kill the cells so they don't grow back or something. :confused:

Yeah, they cut out all the "bad" cells and skin so the chances of them growing back is slimmed down.