PDA

View Full Version : Questions we had in sociology

touchthesky
18-03-09, 21:22
We were asked a few questions in sociology this week, and a few fairly stirred up the class..I thought it would be interesting to post them here, and see what your opinions were. The questions had three answers, which were yes, no, maybe. but of course here you can go as in-depth as you want;

Do you think openly gay or lesbian people should teach children at schools?

Do you think other cultures should adapt to our way of living?

Do you think that people with learning disabilities should have children?

Those were the three that caused a riot...

Please don't fight...a nice debate would be good, though!

Encore
18-03-09, 21:23
Those were the three that caused a riot...

Please don't fight...a nice debate would be good, though!

Why should you expect any better from TRF? :p

LaraCroftRox
18-03-09, 21:26
1. Yes.
2. I don't get the question :vlol: who's ''our''?
3. Yes.

Don't be expecting any long anwsers from me :vlol:

touchthesky
18-03-09, 21:27
Our...just whatever country you live in I would imagine..In the case of the college survey it was the Uk..for here..it would be whereever you live.

jackles
18-03-09, 21:28
Well I have to say I have worked with gay teachers of both sexes...but children know nothing of the heterosexual teachers lives never mind homosexual ones. Who you date doesn't come into it. It is how good a teacher you are that matters.

oH and learning disabilities...a friend of mine who has a teenage autistic son was rather keen on getting up close and personal with the ladies until his mum pointed out that he could have a child. this put him off. I have seen people wh would be regarded as being a bit 'slow' as great and loving parents with support...and 'normal' parents as utter swines.

Tihocan9
18-03-09, 21:31
I tried to answer with just yes or no but I couldn't :p

Yes, but I do not think that the teacher (or any teacher straight or homosexual) should express their sexuality to their students especially children. And no teacher (imo) should express their opinion (unless necessary) about sexuality.

No, they can live like they want to as long as it isn't harming an individual if we want to interact with them then we have to take the step to learn their ways.
Yes, only if they want to of coarse, no one has the right (again imo) to say whether or no someone can have a child (within reason) because of a disability.

Joely-Moley
18-03-09, 21:31
I really don't see any reason why they shouldn't. Though honestly, I don't think it's anyone business what a persons sexuality is whether straight, bi or gay.

No, I think they have a right to live how they want as long as they can respect how people live here.

I think this depends on the disability, how severe it is, whether or not the disabled person can actually look after themselves first.

LaraCroftRox
18-03-09, 21:32
Our...just whatever country you live in I would imagine..In the case of the college survey it was the Uk..for here..it would be whereever you live.

Well in that case, I think they should just live however they want to. ;)

da tomb raider!
18-03-09, 21:37

Sure, as long as they don't flaunt their sexuality (this goes for hetrosexual people as well, of course).

Not really. I don't see why they should.

I don't think so, as I imagine that in the majority of cases this could reduce the child's quality of life.

Nannonxyay
18-03-09, 22:21

Yes. I mean, I don't mind them mentioning if they went on a date last night or something, because teachers at our school speak about that all the time with the students. Like, but only the older students. :p

I think if you're going to move abroad, or anywhere which speaks a different language, you should learn the language out of respect.

Yes, I don't see the problem. Just because a parent has learning disabilities, doesn't mean the kid will. I mean, the same applies to people without learning disabilities who have kids who have learning disabilities. :)

Punaxe
18-03-09, 22:43
Do I think openly gay or lesbian people should teach children at schools?
Yes. If they stick to the curriculum there would be no difference. I do not think they should be putting ideas into their heads about what sexual preference is right or wrong, but this goes for any teacher.

Do I think other cultures should adapt to our way of living?
Yes. If they come here to live with us, of course they should learn our ways. They should not be forced to take over every aspect of it, but some things are so fundamental to a society that in order to get along, you will just have to learn/adapt to those things. Language is one of those things. This is assuming they are of course immigrating... If not, I would at least allow forcing them to implement the universal human rights.

Maybe. It depends on the impact we can expect the disability to have on the children, as in both how much chance there is of the child having the same defect, and how well the parents can be expected to take care of the child. If a certain threshold of insufficience is expected, I think it is not wrong to prevent people from having children. This is a very tough call though. The other ones are easy :p

God Horus
18-03-09, 22:44

Yes, I think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and a person's sexuality should not prevent them from teaching at schools.

No I do not, other cultures have the right to live which ever way they want to but they should respect how the other people live.

Yes, again, I do not think a learning disability is a barrier if you want to have children, if someone with a learning disability wants to have a child and they believe that they will be capable of supporting the child then they should.

:D

laralover_07
18-03-09, 22:50

Yes, as jackles said, school children know next to nothing about the teacher's life, other than what the teacher lets out, so if someone is gay, the class have no right to know.

No, but we should all accept other cultures, and respect other people's beliefs.

Depends. If at least one parent is well enough to care for the other, yes. If both are at the point where they need care, no. It's unfair to the child, reduces their quality of life and in most cases, puts them in the position where they have to become child carers.

lararoxs
18-03-09, 23:08

Certainly! They don't have to mention their sexual orientation at all, it is their private life which should be kept seperate from their job/ teaching. They have every right to teach if they want to, we don't discriminate.

Not really, no. If they move abroad they should learn the native language so on and so forth, but not anything like changing a religion or their personal veiws. It's the same for us, we should accept their veiws too.

If that person(s) are able to provide the care and love that a child needs and are willing to take the responsibility then why not? They still have every right to have a child like the rest of us, as long as they are not too ill.

:)

EmeraldFields
18-03-09, 23:12
Yes

No

Most likely yes, it depends on how severe.

Bobsyeruncle
18-03-09, 23:24
"We were asked a few questions in sociology this week, and a few fairly stirred up the class..I thought it would be interesting to post them here, and see what your opinions were. The questions had three answers, which were yes, no, maybe. but of course here you can go as in-depth as you want";

Many do and have for years, I had a couple and that was long ago. Did not cause change to my own orientation. This is immaterial as to whether the teacher does a good job or not.

This is a loaded and somewhat ridiculous question. I know perfectly well what is meant by the wording of the question, but it is the wrong question entirely. Other cultures ALWAYS "adapt" to another culture's ways of living if they come into contact with them, it's not a question of "whether they should" or not. Sometimes this adaptation leads to conflict, and as anyone posting in a Tomb Raider forum should know, the ruins of "cultures" that have been destroyed by other ones are fairly thick around the world. Sometimes this process of adaptation leads to long-term accomodation and change on both sides. Europe is a product of centuries of conflict, accomodation, and mingling of cultural traits. This process is always messy. This process isn't over. To imagine that people have a "choice" in "adapting" to another culture, or that one culture has a choice not to "force" an adaptation in another it comes into contact with, is to fall prey to a completely ahistorical, ideologically-driven bit of pseudo-intellectual garbage. The question should be "How do we minimize violent upheaval when another culture adapts to ours, or ours to theirs, or is that even possible or desirable in this particular case?"

Certainly, depends on the level of disability. Many mildly mentally challenged people have perfectly normal children. Eugenics, or "improving the breed" through government control of who gets to have kids, was tried in parts of the United States and in Europe in the 20's-40's. In the former instance humiliating sterilization and ostracization was the result, in the latter, mass murder.

Smog
18-03-09, 23:29

I don't see what sexual orientation has to do with teaching. There are a lot of places where a lot of parents wouldn't be happy with it (*cough*Deep South*cough*), but that's their problem. So yes. Though the question should really say "should be [/i]allowed[/i] to." And I need to be less pedantic.

What a strange question. Do you mean people from other cultures who emmigrate? In that case, I think it helps to integrate and adapt, but no-one's going to make you if you don't want to. Speaking the language and knowing the customs are pretty essential if you're going to living in a strange country.

They shouldn't be "not allowed to" if that's what the question means. Whether they should choose to or not depends entirely on the circumstance and individuals involved. At the end of the day, they have as much a right to have children as anyone else. Whether or not it's a good idea is down to their discretion.

Voni
18-03-09, 23:39
Oooh, this is food for thought!
A big fat YES from me. Sexuality has nothing to do with your ability to teach. If you're sensible, your personal life will never come into the classroom, so whatever you do (as long as it's legal) shouldn't matter.

This is tricky. I think it's a matter of cultures learning to respect one another. If someone from another comes to live here, I don't want them to have to 'conform', as it's unfair. However, the reverse is also true. I wouldn't someone else pressing their culture or beliefs onto me if I don't want them to. I'm all for learning about them, but sometimes barriers are crossed.

Depends. Technically dyslexia and dyscalculia are learning disabilities, and they're not going to prevent you from being a good parent. I suppose it depends on the severity.