PDA

View Full Version : Awesome! Mosquito annihilation to the power of PYEW-PYEW!

violentblossom
19-03-09, 16:13
'Star Wars' scientists invent super duper laser designed for killing mosquitos.

Oh scientists, how i love thee..

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/16/mosquito.laser.weapon/index.html

da tomb raider!
19-03-09, 16:18
Call me crazy, but I find that rather mean.

Nausinous
19-03-09, 16:21

Yeah its so mean... even though they give many people deadly diseases? I nearly died in italy when I was camping and got bitten by a mosquito.

da tomb raider!
19-03-09, 16:24
Yeah its so mean... even though they give many people deadly diseases? I nearly died in italy when I was camping and got bitten by mosquito.

The diseases mosquitos spread are indeed dreaful, but alas, a mosquito's gotta eat. Humans have to kill millions of chickens every year to feed themselves, and it's the same sort of thing with mosquitos. Why should the mosquitos all be killed when humans (and virtually every other species on the planet) do the same sort of thing?

Lara's home
19-03-09, 16:26
I find that a bit extreme.

Keir_Eidos
19-03-09, 16:27
I get bitten to buggery when I go to Finland on holiday and stay by a lake. I could attach one of those to my head http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/m/mwahaha.gif

The development of that technology will probably be driven by people in developed countries so they don't get bitten and itchy but will hopefully benefit people in developing countries so they don't get bitten and die.

Keir_Eidos
19-03-09, 16:28
I find that a bit extreme.

Malaria carried by mossies kills about a million people around the world every year I think.

william croft
19-03-09, 16:31
I get bitten to buggery when I go to Finland on holiday and stay by a lake. I could attach one of those to my head http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/m/mwahaha.gif

The development of that technology will probably be driven by people in developed countries so they don't get bitten and itchy but will hopefully benefit people in developing countries so they don't get bitten and die.

You pretty much summed up what I was thinking, hopefully this will benifit people and save lives.

You have the best emotes I have ever seen.

Lara's home
19-03-09, 16:37
Malaria carried by mossies kills about a million people around the world every year I think.

Yes, but so does million of other diseases, animals and even humans. Killing so many mosquito's will surely do some damage on the ecosystem.

Lavinder
19-03-09, 16:41
Yes, but so does million of other diseases, animals and even humans. Killing so many mosquito's will surely do some damage on the ecosystem.

You would rather save a parasite than your own species?

da tomb raider!
19-03-09, 16:43
Surely finding a cure to marlaria would be a bit more practical than wiping out an ancient species and risking at least some damage to the eco-system? That's what I'd be trying to do if I was one of these scientists.

violentblossom
19-03-09, 16:45
call me naive, but what do mosquitos do for the environment?

badboy70
19-03-09, 16:46
That's really cool, it'd be neat if it were build into your cellphone, so you could zap other people too :p

Lara's home
You would rather save a parasite than your own species?

I would prefer if we did not have diseases. However, millions of people die anyway. If we remove a significant portion of one animal, it will have consequences.

Seaguls eat them, I think.

tampi
I want the pistol :cln::cln::jmp:

http://i44.************/jfetrs.jpg

TRfan23
19-03-09, 16:48
Well that's cool :D I've tortured insects on my plasma ball before. Zap them with a small amount of electricity and they burn! :mis: All times I've done this to crane flies, they lie there helpless trying to escape.

Surely finding a cure to malaria would be a bit more practical than wiping out an ancient species and risking at least some damage to the eco-system? That's what I'd be trying to do if I was one of these scientists.

There's malaria tablets.

da tomb raider!
19-03-09, 16:49

I imagine they provide a food source for plenty of other species. At any rate, it's not like any other species (let alone humans) are much more benificial for the environment.

There's malaria tablets.

Oh, yeah, I took them when I was travelling through Asia once upon a time. They tasted repulsive, but I was bitten literally hundreds of times by mosquitos, so they must be effective. So if they can make tablets that can prevent malaria, surely it can't be that hard to find a cure for it?

violentblossom
19-03-09, 16:55
some interesting info: only the females bite.

you know, there are so many bugs on this planet, i doubt we could ever make them go completely extinct.

Punaxe
19-03-09, 16:56
We actually kill mosquitos anyway, this just makes it easier for us. It's not like they're going to hang these things from every lamppost and zap every mosquito on the planet.

TRfan23
19-03-09, 16:56
some interesting info: only the females bite.

you know, there are so many bugs on this planet, i doubt we could ever make them go completely extinct.

They made small pox become extinct. I'm very sure it'd be easier to make a living creature you can visualize with the naked eye to be extinct ;)

violentblossom
19-03-09, 16:57
They made small pox become extinct. I'm very sure it'd be easier to make a living creature you can visualize with the naked eye to be extinct ;)

its hard to say.

in any given square mile, there are more insects than people on the planet.

Melonie Tomb Raider
19-03-09, 17:00
Wooo! Now this is cool. :jmp:

interstellardave
19-03-09, 17:11
We actually kill mosquitos anyway, this just makes it easier for us. It's not like they're going to hang these things from every lamppost and zap every mosquito on the planet.

This is true... this plan does have a diabolical ring to it but it's still essentially a localized extremely efficient fly swatter. It will make villages a safe haven, but it won't move across the landscape terminating mosquitos wherever they are... although I suppose that could easily be done too. I hope not, actually. I think, in principle, we need to learn to live with all animals and insects that share the Earth with us. I think, ultimately, (although perhaps not obvious to us at the moment with regards to something like mosquitos) maintaining the diversity of life, rather than curtailing it, will benefit us more.

voltz
19-03-09, 17:42

:vlol:

I've had skeeters all over the place I grew up in so I don't care at all as long as it means their numbers are driven down. They're harmful to other species and that's all they'll ever amount to.

TRfan23
19-03-09, 17:45
Can't they get the chemical that's in the Malaria tablets and gas it around the place?

@ voltz: Looks like you don't have enough voltz to lure the mossies off you?
You need more battery power.

Agent 47
19-03-09, 17:47
this weapon is the first step towards particle energy weapons ( phasers ). how long before this device gets updated to target people?

scary thought :(

violentblossom
19-03-09, 17:48
this weapon is the first step towards particle energy weapons ( phasers ). how long before this device gets updated to target people?

scary thought :(

who's to say it hasn't begun?

LaraCroftRox
19-03-09, 17:49
How horrible. :mad:

500th post. :o

interstellardave
19-03-09, 17:50
Humans are harmful to other species... and our own species. We spread pestilence and disease as well, so being harmful cannot really be the reasoning here. We might as well be honest about it and say it's "because we can". We have the power to do it... and, as long as power rules, we are more harmful to every species on Earth, including ourselves, than mosquitos are.

violentblossom
19-03-09, 17:52
Humans are harmful to other species... and our own species. We spread pestilence and disease as well, so being harmful cannot really be the reasoning here. We might as well be honest about it and say it's "because we can". We have the power to do it... and, as long as power rules, we are more harmful to every species on Earth, including ourselves, than mosquitos are.

i agree with this.

people are really, really careless, reckless, and selfish.

its because of us that many animals are extinct... they weren't killing each other off.

were the only species that's murders each just because, too.

interstellardave
19-03-09, 17:56
i agree with this.

people are really, really careless, reckless, and selfish.

its because of us that many animals are extinct... they were killing each other off.

were the only species that's murders each just because, too.

Actually animals do sometimes kill each other "just because" too, which really opened my eyes upon learning it. We just do things on such a huge scale that it becomes tragic at a certain point. And, being capable of such great thought and introspection, we should as a species be able to rise above such behavior. Not on an individual basis, because that's innate, I suppose, and emotions can often take over, but it should never progress to institutionalized slaughter and eradication. At that point people should be able to think clearly and say enough is enough!

Love2Raid
19-03-09, 18:00
Yeah I have read this and I am very happy about it. Those bloody mosquitos are good for nothing. So many lives are lost every year because of malaria.

Good riddance! :tmb:

voltz
19-03-09, 18:20
@ voltz: Looks like you don't have enough voltz to lure the mossies off you?
You need more battery power.

Hey quit trying to be "cliche" foo, TOTALLY NOT COOL!

We did have plenty of bug spray but it's just not the kind of scent you wanted to be wearing around the house on a daily basis.

Btw this thread title has improper spelling. It's "PEW PEW" :ton:

violentblossom
19-03-09, 18:22
Hey quit trying to be "cliche" foo, TOTALLY NOT COOL!

We did have plenty of bug spray but it's just not the kind of scent you wanted to be wearing around the house on a daily basis.

Btw this thread title has improper spelling. It's "PEW PEW" :ton:

i know, LOL, i had to iterate the pronunciation, or else some might think i meant "Pew" as in, "that smells!"

voltz
19-03-09, 18:22
Actually animals do sometimes kill each other "just because" too, which really opened my eyes upon learning it. We just do things on such a huge scale that it becomes tragic at a certain point. And, being capable of such great thought and introspection, we should as a species be able to rise above such behavior. Not on an individual basis, because that's innate, I suppose, and emotions can often take over, but it should never progress to institutionalized slaughter and eradication. At that point people should be able to think clearly and say enough is enough!

Destruction and consumption are the basis of which all life evolved from. Darwinism at it's finest.