PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 8 released.

Titanium
20-03-09, 17:03
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx

Well it seems faster then IE7, but I'm not quite a fan of the menu bars at the top. It has alot more features, but most of them I doubt I'll have any use for.
Anyone else downloaded it? What do you think?

Edit: Actually, it's alot faster then IE7.

irjudd
20-03-09, 17:05
Not bad at all. Obviously better than IE7. But better than the other alternatives? Maybe. If you don't care about add-ons, then yes it's better than Firefox. But for those who love add-ons, no, the other mentioned alternative still wins.

da tomb raider!
20-03-09, 17:13
I think I'll stick to SeaMonkey.

tampi
20-03-09, 17:18
I read about it on newspapers today:)
I'm downloading just now. It installs over the previous version? Deletes the 7 version? :confused::)

jamieoliver22
20-03-09, 17:19
Still no new features; as in Firefox, Opera and Chrome already have most of the features that they most of the features that they are taking their claim to fame for.

And finally it fully supports CSS 2.1, and some elements of CSS 3 (how many years late were they?). At least now I can use :hover tags on any element without having to worry about IE...

irjudd
20-03-09, 17:22
Still no new features; as in Firefox, Opera and Chrome already have most of the features that they most of the features that they are taking their claim to fame for.

And finally it fully supports CSS 2.1, and some elements of CSS 3 (how many years late were they?). At least now I can use :hover tags on any element without having to worry about IE...
I think that's the point they were going for. To finally smack down the glaring issues that kept IE as the running joke in the web design world.

jamieoliver22
20-03-09, 17:24
I think that's the point they were going for. To finally smack down the glaring issues that kept IE as the running joke in the web design world.

Well if they stuck with the same standards as every other browsers (W3), they wouldn't have had that problem in the first place.

irjudd
20-03-09, 17:26
Well if they stuck with the same standards as every other browsers (W3), they wouldn't have had that problem in the first place.
Quite true. Regardless, glad to see what is still the most widely used browser is not quite as much of a pain to have around.

Sharon_14
20-03-09, 17:33
Cool, downloading now! :jmp:

raiderfun
20-03-09, 17:38
Downloaded it yesterday, nothing really new, but I will still stick to Opera :p

jamieoliver22
20-03-09, 17:38
Just tried it and I really don't like the GUI (I never liked it since IE7) - it is just all all over the place. And I still find opening new tabs slow.

And is it just me, or has it changed the fonts for everything else? Making them harder to read?

Titanium
20-03-09, 17:53
Just tried it and I really don't like the GUI (I never liked it since IE7) - it is just all all over the place. And I still find opening new tabs slow.

And is it just me, or has it changed the fonts for everything else? Making them harder to read?

Yeah new tab openings are a tad slow. But I'm unsure what you're talking about wiht changing the fonts.

jamieoliver22
20-03-09, 17:57
^ Disabling ClearType fixed it (I've never liked it). It was changing the way my text was displayed on my desktop/folders and other programs.

EDIT: http://alpha-lite.co.uk/general/internet-explorer-8-released/

irjudd
20-03-09, 18:00
Web slices so far are interesting. Could be nice if it gets more support later.

Sharon_14
20-03-09, 18:03
Shocks! its WAYY faster then IE7!

Drone
20-03-09, 19:41
*shrugs* win7 has ie8 anyway

Punaxe
20-03-09, 19:52
Posting from it now... I'm not ready to give up Opera yet but I can't deny the speed has improved a lot. It's doing really bad on the Acid3 test though...

TR FAN 18
22-03-09, 16:02
I'm gonna stick with Firefox since this browser hardly crashes on me and when it does crash, it restores the web pages you were last on.
IE7 kept annoying me with the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem with an add-on and needs to close" errors.
More like:
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4146/xppngphpiconeorbittitle.png

Anyway, I'm currently happy with FF, it has never let me down.

EDIT: Oh nuts, 20th March? I didn't see that. Oh well, the other thread was closed anyway.

rowanlim
24-03-09, 14:40
Looks "cleaner", slightly faster than the earlier one :tmb: :)

Tony9595
24-03-09, 18:34
Yeah, itīs faster than IE 7, but I donīt think that itīs better than Opera Browser, so Iīll keep using my Opera :hug:

kooky
24-03-09, 18:38
No thanks, I'd rather stick with firefox instead...