PDA

View Full Version : Obama is already embarassing the U.S.

SamReeves
21-03-09, 18:07
The diplomatic overture by President Obama was so well received by the Ayatollah Khamenei, that he encouraged his crowd of supporters to shout "Death to America." Really Obama, how naive are you? He reads the intelligence reports and knows what the Iranians are building. Even the San Francisco Chronicle, one of the most left papers in the nation wrote up how hostile the Iranian response is without any sugar coating. Bottom line is, don't do business with the Iranians. Even though you may hate W, he would keep us safe from these assholes at any cost. With BO, I am not so sure.

Read the article below in the San Francisco Chronicle:

Iran's supreme leader dismisses Obama overtures (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/03/20/international/i053637D69.DTL&tsp=1)

CerebralAssassin
21-03-09, 18:24
In his video message, Obama said the United States wants to engage Iran, but he also warned that a right place for Iran in the international community "cannot be reached through terror or arms, but rather through peaceful actions that demonstrate the true greatness of the Iranian people and civilization."

OUCH...just ouch....

already he's making some serious blunders...

Draco
21-03-09, 18:42
I wish I was surprised.

amiro1989
21-03-09, 19:05
I don't see the problem...

Reggie
21-03-09, 20:00
I know I've been critical of Obama but this has to be one of the best moves Obama made IMO, just depends on how he decides to play it from here. If Iran makes absolutely no effort on their part to be diplomatic with the US while the US is trying to be diplomatic with them, it will proove that the Iranians can't be reasoned with and they will come out of this worse in the eyes of the international community.

On the surface its a naive decision but I suspect Obama knew it would be a win-win situation. What's there to lose by what he's done?

patriots88888
21-03-09, 20:04
Everyone sees what they want to see!

Legend of Lara
21-03-09, 20:07
Would it have been more appropriate of him to shout "#%$& YOU SCUMBAGS! BURN IN HELL!!!" instead? ;)

IceColdLaraCroft
21-03-09, 20:51
He's being Diplomatic and taking the high road in the case of Iran. He isn't calling them part of the "axis of evil"

I think he's simply sending them a greeting on their new year the same way Ahmadinejad sent him a Welcome greeting when he was elected. They're both honest messages and he wants to be taken seriously as the leader of the US.

That said I really can't say he's actually done anything so far in his presidency. He's over turned a number of things the Bush administration put limits on, but that's more of correcting wrongs.

He himself as a president has yet to do anything spectacular.

Mad Tony
21-03-09, 21:27
That said I really can't say he's actually done anything so far in his presidency. He's over turned a number of things the Bush administration put limits on, but that's more of correcting wrongs.That depends on your political orientation.

silver_wolf
22-03-09, 00:18
what exactly did he do wrong? go in and use diplomacy instead of the ol' American "we gonna get 'em!" tactic?

Mad Tony
22-03-09, 00:34
what exactly did he do wrong? go in and use diplomacy instead of the ol' American "we gonna get 'em!" tactic?All Bush did was not engage in relations with Iran, and now you can see why. The invasion of Iran so many people predicted never happened.

Angelus
22-03-09, 00:38
No-one mentioned Bush?

Draco
22-03-09, 00:39
That said I really can't say he's actually done anything so far in his presidency...He himself as a president has yet to do anything spectacular.

You mean other than the Bailouts that nobody wants except rich people right?

Mad Tony
22-03-09, 00:41
No-one mentioned Bush?This whole entire thread is about the US government's shift in policy towards Iran. Many people critisized Bush's approach to Iran and I'm explaining why I think his approach to Iran was better than Obama's.

Tonyrobinson
22-03-09, 00:48
I think that's great news!

Angelus
22-03-09, 00:48
No-one asked you to... like I said, no-one even mentioned Bush.

CerebralAssassin
22-03-09, 00:52
All Bush did was not engage in relations with Iran, and now you can see why. The invasion of Iran so many people predicted never happened.

and why exactly is that?!because Bush thought that Iran hates America for no good reason?

Draco
22-03-09, 01:09
No-one asked you to... like I said, no-one even mentioned Bush.

I think someone did.

Kittypower
22-03-09, 01:45
Embarrassed. No, not really.

IceColdLaraCroft
22-03-09, 03:30
You mean other than the Bailouts that nobody wants except rich people right?

On his own. Congress factored more into that than Obama. He hasn't made an executive decision...granted it's March and he was sworn in in January.

He's appointed a number of people from the Clinton Administration, simply undid a number of things the Bush administration put a stop to that had been allowed under Clinton and I've found that watching his speeches he'll say something strong and then have a "but that's not to say" aspect that makes him sit on the fence on a number of subjects.

He comes across like trying to please everyone all the time and that isn't something you can do in his position. He's VERY new in terms of politics...he doesn't have a list of accomplishments in his political career. He also doesn't have many mistakes in his career.

So the question is: Is he going to have some great accomplishment or is he going to have a catastrophic failure?

Melonie Tomb Raider
22-03-09, 03:46
I'm not surprised. :p

ShadyCroft
22-03-09, 05:44
I don't see it as a big deal, wouldn't call it an embarrassment. Like most people said, he's being diplomatic (at least that's how I see it), and I agree with Reggie here...

I know I've been critical of Obama but this has to be one of the best moves Obama made IMO, just depends on how he decides to play it from here. If Iran makes absolutely no effort on their part to be diplomatic with the US while the US is trying to be diplomatic with them, it will proove that the Iranians can't be reasoned with and they will come out of this worse in the eyes of the international community.

On the surface its a naive decision but I suspect Obama knew it would be a win-win situation. What's there to lose by what he's done?

that's exactly like what I wanted to post last night, but I wouldn't have put it any better. :)

Now it would unwise if Obama kept being Diplomatic with Iran...Nope, I don't mean war or anything, we've had enough of those around, thanks, just not too much into "reach out my hand to others to make a peaceful world".

I think it would be wise on our part to wait for his next decision before calling this an embarrassment. :)

Mad Tony
22-03-09, 09:43
and why exactly is that?!because Bush thought that Iran hates America for no good reason?Because things like this happen. I can't ever see Iran cooperating with those American "infidels". Maybe the American government should start executing homosexuals and abusing women if it wants Iran's respect? :rolleyes:

ShadyCroft
22-03-09, 09:52
I agree with you, Ben. I cannot see 2 countries that are way different in their culture and customs and the way they are could ever cooperate.

But couldn't the US not cooperate to that extent ? I'm not much into politics, but for the US and Iran to be on good speaking terms doesn't necessarily have to mean the US has to change to gain Iran's respect.
I just don't want any wars, terrorism or killings again.

I guess its hard, as long as Iranian and the Iranians leader view Americans as "infidels".

Mad Tony
22-03-09, 09:55
I agree with you, Ben. I cannot see 2 countries that are way different in their culture and customs and the way they are could ever cooperate.

But couldn't the US not cooperate to that extent ? I'm not much into politics, but for the US and Iran to be on good speaking terms doesn't necessarily have to mean the US has to change to gain Iran's respect.
I just don't want any wars, terrorism or killings again.

I guess its hard, as long as Iranian and the Iranians leader view Americans as "infidels".Lol, that was a joke. :p Of course I don't think America (or any other country for that matter) should change to gain Iran's respect. The problem is that Iran are just uncooperative. Personally I think the best course of action to take would be continuing previous presidents' policy of just not engaging in diplomatic relations with Iran.

Catapharact
22-03-09, 09:59

Uhhhh, No? Look at U.A.E, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwit, etc. etc. They seem to have a cozy little relationship with Europe and North America. The given situation goes far beyond just culture clash. Its an obvious case of Saber rattling. Iran wants the world to know that it is the given super power in the region. Propaganda wise, the best way to do it is to throw insults at the current superpower. Nuff said.

I guess its hard, as long as Iranian and the Iranians leader view Americans as "infidels".

Uhhh, you may wanna read this:

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/blog/iranians-like-us-031208

ShadyCroft
22-03-09, 10:05

Uhhhh, No? Look at U.A.E, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwit, etc. etc. They seem to have a cozy little relationship with Europe and North America. The given situation goes far beyond just culture clash. Its an obvious case of Saber rattling. Iran wants the world to know that it is the given super power in the region. Propaganda wise, the best way to do it is to throw insults at the current superpower. Nuff said.

I was going to add that they could still cooperate, and either parties keep their customs, as your examples.

As for the link, it was an interesting. How truthful it is I cannot say (or anything else we ever read online or see on tv).

One thing I admit though is that I made a generalization here...

I guess its hard, as long as Iranians and the Iranian's leader view Americans as "infidels".

I should have known better seeing as I too come from a middle-eastern country where some hate America and others don't. So I apologize for that.

But doesn't the Iranian leader doesn't approve of the US, as this part says

Some of this affinity is due to the proliferating "poison of Western culture" or "westoxification," as the Ayatollah Khomeini condemned it.

The power is pretty much in his hands, no ?

As a Western visitor, I was reminded to do as the Romans do. While chatting with friends at Iran's new television channel, Press TV, one of them scolded me for my overly conservative hijab. "It's too tight -- show some hair. Loosen up a bit. You look like an Islamic fundamentalist! We are not the Taliban here."

hehe :D

AODdigger
22-03-09, 10:56
Seriously, how stupid could a man be.. even for a president of the US... Hasn't he got the slightest sense of human nature? Especially for the Irenians, where has Obama been the last 20 years? I wish I could say the popular phrase "in the jungle", but that would sound like a racist insult WHICH IT WOULDN'T BE, it's just a phrase we use around here. Well, he's obviously been on Mars. Drinking Heineken.

Bongo Fury
22-03-09, 12:29
Nothing wrong with going a diplomatic route. Past\current western (United States, Great Britain) policy towards Iran has failed pretty clearly.

Blockoland
22-03-09, 12:40

I think you're right.

EternoD
22-03-09, 13:35
i sometimes feel like people want obama to fail, so they post insignificant little things that happened to make it look like he's a bad president.

Mad Tony
22-03-09, 14:00
i sometimes feel like people want obama to fail, so they post insignificant little things that happened to make it look like he's a bad president.It happens to every president. Loads of people were doing it during Bush's term and I'm pretty sure people were doing it in Clinton's too.

SamReeves
22-03-09, 15:35
i sometimes feel like people want obama to fail, so they post insignificant little things that happened to make it look like he's a bad president.

:vlol:

That's because he is terrible as President. :p

When Wall Street is still burning, Geithener's giving more bonuses to AIG, and what is Oabama doing…hee-hawing with Jay Leno on the Tonight Show. They guy has the ego of a gorilla and can't stop campaigning. The Presidential campaign ended four months ago. :vlol: Start governing Obama!

Oh don't get me started on the spending bills. Obama is spending upwards of 2 trillion dollars this year, and he's going to cut the defecit the next? Sounds like a Santa Claus promise to me, unless everyone's taxes go sky high. Obama is a zero in the first two months of his administration.

violentblossom
22-03-09, 15:41
:vlol:

That's because he is terrible as President. :p

i hardly think that that is determinable at this time. 3 months isn't really long enough to make a collosal difference.

Draco
22-03-09, 15:44
Well how many monthes is it going to take...he only has 45 left.

violentblossom
22-03-09, 15:45
Well how many monthes is it going to take...he only has 45 left.

to completely condemn a whole presidency at 3 months is a little assuming, in my opinion.

Reggie
22-03-09, 15:53
to completely condemn a whole presidency at 3 months is a little assuming, in my opinion.

Definitely. He's got a lot to prove and it could definitely go either way for him, he's certainly not immune from potentially 'epic' failure though.

MadCroy101
22-03-09, 15:58
OUCH...just ouch....

already he's making some serious blunders...

Yeah, and alot of people had strong faith in him. :(

larson n natla
22-03-09, 16:05
I dont live in america but I'd swap u our prime minister for Barack obama if you want :ton:

Draco
22-03-09, 16:11

He is already failing the biggest test he had.

violentblossom
22-03-09, 16:17
Definitely. He's got a lot to prove and it could definitely go either way for him, he's certainly not immune from potentially 'epic' failure though.

no, i agree. he could fail and fall pretty hard, i'm not saying that, i'm just saying that right now, we cannot possibly determine where his overall administration is going to measure up compared with our presidencies.

He is already failing the biggest test he had.

maybe he's not going about certain things in the best way possible, but as you said, this is the biggest test he's ever had, his job can't be a picnic.

Draco
22-03-09, 16:18
The only thing I wanted whoever my President was is to kill the bailouts. Period.

Obama is a failure as a President as far as I'm concerned.

Beans-Bot
22-03-09, 16:35
My God, a president that doesn't want to slaughter people for riches or because they might be a problem later. How terrible. :rolleyes:

It honestly just seems like he's saying "Iran, while we still don't like you, our terms will be better if you do blah blah blah" which is fine. Honestly, the Republicans will do anything to make him look bad....

Mad Tony
22-03-09, 16:36
My God, a president that doesn't want to slaughter people for riches or because they might be a problem later. How terrible. :rolleyes:

It honestly just seems like he's saying "Iran, while we still don't like you, our terms will be better if you do blah blah blah" which is fine. Honestly, the Republicans will do anything to make him look bad....As I said earlier, it works both ways. People seem to be forgetting the amount of flak the Democrats were giving Republicans during Bush's term.

AmericanAssassin
22-03-09, 16:37
People seem to be forgetting the amount of flak the Democrats were giving Republicans during Bush's term.

I know just as many Republicans who hated Bush. :p

Beans-Bot
22-03-09, 16:40
I admit I should have broadened that to say "people in general will go to any length to make people they dislike look bad"

and no, it's not acceptable on any side. I didn't think Bush was a good president myself, but seeing as I'm too young to even vote or have much of an opinion on these things (17), I didn't make sweeping statements about how bad he was like people are already starting to do with Obama.

Geez people, his first 100 days aren't even over, give it a rest...

Mad Tony
22-03-09, 16:41
There's nothing wrong with criticizing his individual decisions, although I don't think people should judge his entire presidency yet.

Melonie Tomb Raider
22-03-09, 16:45
There's nothing wrong with criticizing his individual decisions, although I don't think people should judge his entire presidency yet.

I agree with that.

I don't dislike the guy, but I don't agree with him, either. So despite the fact that I think he's got some really twisted views, I'm not going to call him a complete failure........ yet.

Quasimodo
22-03-09, 16:56
I agree with that.

I don't dislike the guy, but I don't agree with him, either. So despite the fact that I think he's got some really twisted views, I'm not going to call him a complete failure........ yet.

Like?

I was listening to one of his speeches yesterday, he was answering a question about what justified all this government spending. First he says that many of the people who are questioning the spending had a hand in racking up the national debt during the Bush administration, so they don't have a leg to stand on. He must've sensed how weak an argument this was, so he added that right now they're just trying to get the economy going again and they'll worry about the national debt once that's taken care. Still, seriously weak excuses imo.

Larapink
22-03-09, 17:33
I'm not surprised. :p
Agreed. :p

SamReeves
22-03-09, 18:23

It honestly just seems like he's saying "Iran, while we still don't like you, our terms will be better if you do blah blah blah" which is fine. Honestly, the Republicans will do anything to make him look bad....

Yes how terrible indeed. It's a setup to tax you more if you're a business owner…hey monkey see and monkey do…especially with the 90% tax on AIG. Even though what AIG did is dishonest, it's even more dishonest for the Democrats to pass a tax which clearly violates the contract between the government and AIG. I'm afraid they'll look to demonize other businesses and tax them to pay for their out of control spending.

But back to the subject, the Ayatollah Khamenei just owned Obama…it's embarrasing feeling just from your average American's standpoint. One thing dictators do is that they keep pushing to see how much they can get out of you. With a weak President like Obama, I expect Iran's going to get quite a lot in this term.

I will. I've seen enough in the first two months. It's so bad that I turn the news off after about 10 minutes of listening to it. It gets depressing.

I was listening to one of his speeches yesterday, he was answering a question about what justified all this government spending. First he says that many of the people who are questioning the spending had a hand in racking up the national debt during the Bush administration, so they don't have a leg to stand on. He must've sensed how weak an argument this was, so he added that right now they're just trying to get the economy going again and they'll worry about the national debt once that's taken care. Still, seriously weak excuses imo.

LOL, he'll start blaming Bush again for his own crappy policy. That's all he's done in the first two months. He's gone on the campaign trail, blamed Bush, and then…the economy worsens on his watch. I doubt he'll take responsibility himself. Other than the three turncoats in the Sentate, none of the Republicans want any piece of the stimulus spending. Because if it fails, it's all on the Democrats. ;)

IceColdLaraCroft
22-03-09, 22:36
^ he is playing "clean up" after the Bush administration and that's what I was arguing about he hasn't really done anything other than clean up after the previous administration. The Obama administration hasn't gotten on it's own two feet just yet

EmeraldFields
22-03-09, 22:36
I will. I've seen enough in the first two months. It's so bad that I turn the news off after about 10 minutes of listening to it. It gets depressing.

http://i42.************/kds7di.jpg
:p

C'mon give the guy a chance. I'm sure none of us could do the perfect thing in times like these.

violentblossom
22-03-09, 23:18
^ he is playing "clean up" after the Bush administration and that's what I was arguing about he hasn't really done anything other than clean up after the previous administration. The Obama administration hasn't gotten on it's own two feet just yet

http://i42.************/kds7di.jpg
:p

C'mon give the guy a chance. I'm sure none of us could do the perfect thing in times like these.

:tmb:

let him breathe a little.