PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Movie - out May 2009

Greenkey2
23-03-09, 15:47
I'm a disenchanted Trek fan.

Loved DS9 and Voyager (after the Borg spiced things up that is ;)). Enterprise left me cold and gazing forlornly at my DVD collection thinking "the best has been and gone"

Then I saw the trailer for the next Star Trek movie (http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/star-trek-xi/trailer)...

Holy transporter beams Batman! :eek: :jmp: :yah:

Okay, granted that some kick-ass trailers have turned into lousy movies, this really looks the business :jmp:

Kirk isn't William Shatner (off to a good start already), the Enterprise and space battles have a fantastic sense of scale (blimmin' huge), and Simon Pegg as Scotty??!! Is anyone else pencilling May into their diaries?

Please Abrams, don't disappoint us :ohn:

interstellardave
23-03-09, 16:20
Being a fan of TOS and, to a lesser extent, TNG (and hardly at all for the rest of them) I am looking forward to this movie with great trepidation. From what I've heard this movie breaks TOS canon in a major way and I'm not sure I like that at all. This means I will probably wait until it comes out on Blu Ray to watch it... and then I'll see.

Lee croft
23-03-09, 16:25
is any one good looking going to be in it?

Agent 47
23-03-09, 16:27
Kirk isn't William Shatner (off to a good start already),

EPIC FAIL

new Enterprise = FAIL

this film pretending to be Star Trek = EPIC FAIL

"hey,i have an idea!! lets totally :cen: off TOS fanbase"
"right on brother"

:mad:

Tonyrobinson
23-03-09, 16:27
Simon Pegg is in it. It'll be interesting to see him in a serious role for once.

disneyprincess20
23-03-09, 16:31
I've been told that I have no choice, I've got to see this movie. Preferably as soon as it comes out. My man is jumping for joy at this one. I've heard how much it breaks what's known as canonical law to TOS fans (especally the teaser trailer) but revamps have been very good for certain franchises. I'm looking forward to it!

Agent 47
23-03-09, 16:34
Simon Pegg is in it. It'll be interesting to see him in a serious role for once.

i wouldn't bet on it, Mr Pegg was cast in the role for light comic relief.

Karl Urban as Dr McCoy is the ONLY reason i'll watch this travesty of a movie, he appears to show genuine respect for the original actor DeForest Kelley and the character :D

Rivendell
23-03-09, 16:35
Meh, I'm more of a Wars / Gate fan than a Trek fan. ;) But the trailer looks decent enough. :tmb:

Phys
23-03-09, 16:39
I'm a disenchanted Trek fan.

Loved DS9 and Voyager (after the Borg spiced things up that is ;)). Enterprise left me cold and gazing forlornly at my DVD collection thinking "the best has been and gone"

Then I saw the trailer for the next Star Trek movie (http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/star-trek-xi/trailer)...

Holy transporter beams Batman! :eek: :jmp: :yah:

Okay, granted that some kick-ass trailers have turned into lousy movies, this really looks the business :jmp:

Kirk isn't William Shatner (off to a good start already), the Enterprise and space battles have a fantastic sense of scale (blimmin' huge), and Simon Pegg as Scotty??!! Is anyone else pencilling May into their diaries?

Please Abrams, don't disappoint us :ohn:

I totally loved Voyager. Best series of them all. Enterprise... Jeeze I just can't say how dissapointed I was with it. I gave up after the first season.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Just hope it isn't a complete let down. Looks great.

Meh, I'm more of a Wars / Gate fan than a Trek fan. ;) But the trailer looks decent enough. :tmb:

Haha I'm a Stargate / Star Trek fan :p

Could never really get into Star Wars.

interstellardave
23-03-09, 16:54
EPIC FAIL

new Enterprise = FAIL

this film pretending to be Star Trek = EPIC FAIL

"hey,i have an idea!! lets totally :cen: off TOS fanbase"
"right on brother"

:mad:

LOL! Agreed.

Agent 47
23-03-09, 16:57
LOL! Agreed.

hey interstellar, on Amazon (on the Star Trek TOS Bluray page)there's a lovely trailer :jmp:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Original-Complete-Remastered/dp/B001S3GDTU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237827114&sr=8-2

SamReeves
23-03-09, 17:05
LOL, the whole movie is soo far off the Trek timeline it's comical. I still have a free re-admit ticket that I'm saving for the movie though. I wouldn't pay to see this trash.

Long live the TOS, as seen from Trek I through Trek VI!

http://www.samreevesphoto.com/posts/nebula.jpg

Larson_1988
23-03-09, 17:17
You're right Sam, that ship does indeed look better then then from the upcoming film.

interstellardave
23-03-09, 17:43

hey interstellar, on Amazon (on the Star Trek TOS Bluray page)there's a lovely trailer :jmp:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Original-Complete-Remastered/dp/B001S3GDTU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237827114&sr=8-2

Now THAT gets my mojo risin'! :p

I still don't see anything wrong with the look of the planets originally, however... but that's a nit-pick of mine.

Agent 47
23-03-09, 17:56
keep your "mojo risin" to yourself interstellar (way too munch info) :vlol:

i like the FX, like the trailer says though, we can switch between new & old :jmp:

Legend Killer
23-03-09, 18:55
Put me on this list to see this one. The trailer alone has me hooked on it. :tmb:

interstellardave
23-03-09, 19:06
This movie will truly fracture the Star Trek fanbase... those who see the original series as sacrosanct and those who view the new mythos as better somehow.

Call me whatever you will but I cannot let go of what I've known to be Star Trek fact after 40 years! There is NO reason to change some of the things they've changed. None. It's as if it's been done deliberately to **** people off.

Agent 47
23-03-09, 19:15
This movie will truly fracture the Star Trek fanbase... those who see the original series as sacrosanct and those who view the new mythos as better somehow.

Call me whatever you will but I cannot let go of what I've known to be Star Trek fact after 40 years! There is NO reason to change some of the things they've changed. None. It's as if it's been done deliberately to **** people off.

you know Sam and i agree with you :( i'll refer to what i said last year
the only folks looking forward to this movie are TNG fans who deem their Trek the ONLY Trek,to them this is a welcome destruction of TOS and continuity.TOS gets no respect, lest they forget the show that started the legacy

about deliberately :cen: the people off, that'd be

destruction of Romulus and Vulcan, the major canon violation at the beginning of movie major upset to purists :cen:

Ward Dragon
23-03-09, 19:16
I never really watched the original series. I'm a fan of The Next Generation and Voyager. (I've seen Deep Space Nine occasionally and I watched Enterprise for a season or so before losing interest) So I don't really know what sacrosanct rules that trailer broke, but it did really annoy me that Spock doesn't look like Spock :( I'm probably going to skip this movie and borrow it when it comes out on DVD.

Carbonek_0051
23-03-09, 19:20

This is me as well.

Although I think the trailer looked really good. And Zach Quinto as Spock, I am sold.:cln:

Agent 47
23-03-09, 19:27
I never really watched the original series. I'm a fan of The Next Generation and Voyager. (I've seen Deep Space Nine occasionally and I watched Enterprise for a season or so before losing interest) So I don't really know what sacrosanct rules that trailer broke, but it did really annoy me that Spock doesn't look like Spock :( I'm probably going to skip this movie and borrow it when it comes out on DVD.

see my spoiler, that's a major sacrosanct rule, the :cen: about with character bio's is sacrosanct, erm Starfleet Academy being in Riverside Iowa,Enterprise being built in Riverside Iowa (conveniently in Kirk's back yard) :mad:

kudos for skipping it though :D go see Terminator instead :vlol:

Ward Dragon
23-03-09, 19:45
see my spoiler, that's a major sacrosanct rule, the :cen: about with character bio's is sacrosanct, erm Starfleet Academy being in Riverside Iowa,Enterprise being built in Riverside Iowa (conveniently in Kirk's back yard) :mad:

kudos for skipping it though :D go see Terminator instead :vlol:

Ah, I didn't see your spoiler when I posted. That's pretty messed up, even from a non-TOS fan's point of view :eek: I'll definitely be skipping this movie. The Terminator one actually looked kind of decent last I saw of it. I might have to check that out :p

SamReeves
23-03-09, 19:49
Boo! There is no substitute for Leonard Nimoy and Nichelle Nichols…that illogical woman! :D

xTEwjjruRYM

Agent 47
23-03-09, 19:56
Ah, I didn't see your spoiler when I posted. That's pretty messed up, even from a non-TOS fan's point of view :eek: I'll definitely be skipping this movie. The Terminator one actually looked kind of decent last I saw of it. I might have to check that out :p

totally messed up :vlol: most of the changes are unnecessary as Trek didn't need a reboot :(

as for Terminator Salvation, it does look good :D irony being the new Chekov is playing Kyle Reese :vlol:

&Sam, nice clip :jmp:

Legend Killer
23-03-09, 20:29
Despite the upheaval and unrest in TOS world, it seems like most of you are still going to watch this movie. :mis:

SamReeves
23-03-09, 20:51
Despite the upheaval and unrest in TOS world, it seems like most of you are still going to watch this movie. :mis:

With a free re-admit ticket. I'm not paying to see it! ;) :p

IceColdLaraCroft
23-03-09, 21:12
I am a fan of Voyager (post Borg of course) and I don't understand why they felt the need to "remake" Star Trek rather than advance the franchise even further after Voyager. A Borg movie would've brought in 100's of millions.

Karl Ubran is the sex, the Kiwi sex.

Spock is sylar with funny ears and a bad haircut

Eric Bana looks HOT

daventry
08-05-09, 12:13
The movie confuses me.

Is it true that Spock and Uhura were in a Relationship once.

Is it true that Spocks Planet was Destroyed.

So what happens to Old Spock now.

Nausinous
08-05-09, 12:39
I feel sorry for the fans that are too far up their own arses to see what an excellent movie this film is!

IceColdLaraCroft
08-05-09, 12:51
I feel sorry for the fans that are too far up their own arses to see what an excellent movie this film is!

You have to understand that EVERY SINGLE film that has the "star trek" label attached to them adhered to the history of the franchise. Cannon was respected and they would've dreamed about "restarting" the franchise.

What's really dumb is that Voyager left a WONDERFUL opportunity for many films and put the franchise into a new direction (and new worlds/species to explore), but they decided to "restart" with Enterprise and now ST:movie

M.A.
08-05-09, 14:11
Damn, it's like seeing the battle between Core's TR fans and CD's TR fans all over again! Only more Epic! :D

Big Matt
08-05-09, 16:15

TNG and Voyager were my two favorites as well. I grew up watching TNG every week. I remember seeing the pilot episode on TV when I was in elementary school. My mom fell asleep early that night so my brothers and I stayed up late watching it and The Wrath Of Kahn which the network aired as an appetizer right before the TNG pilot. Four straight hours of Star Trek. I was filled with glee. I scarcely missed an episode of TNG over the course of its entire run.

I'm with IceCold on this one. Roddenberry must be turning over in his grave right now. It just isn't kosher Star Trek to willfully violate the established backstory. Indeed they should have continued the series after Voyager. I was looking forward to the next chapter in the story when they decided to regress and come out with that ST:Enterprise mess. With that and now this new movie it's starting to look pretty bleak for those of us who want to see the Star Trek story actually continue to unfold, rather than rewind or play itself in reverse. The last little bit of new Star Trek we've got is Nemesis and it wasn't exactly a box of chocolates. It was more of a goodbye movie than anything.

interstellardave
08-05-09, 16:23
The movie confuses me.

No, and absolutely No. As to what happens to "old Spock", who knows?

daventry
08-05-09, 16:48
No, and absolutely No. As to what happens to "old Spock", who knows?What a way to mess up the Franchise with Confusion and an Alternate Universe thing. :confused:

SamReeves
08-05-09, 16:53
No, and absolutely No. As to what happens to "old Spock", who knows?

With the current generation of movie goers, they probably don't care! ;)

Otherwise Paramount wouldn't have green lighted this pile of dogcrap. People want their flash cube attention span entertainment. Never mind characters and stories.

interstellardave
08-05-09, 16:55
I just bought TOS Season 1 on Blu Ray... I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend! :yah:

Agent 47
08-05-09, 17:23
I just bought TOS Season 1 on Blu Ray... I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend! :yah:

enjoy :jmp: it's actually a good set, wise purchase :D

Flyin11
08-05-09, 17:28
I'm not interested in it but it's getting pretty good reviews on the Yahoo movie page. I'm waiting for Transformers 2. Judging by the reviews for the Star Trek movie...It looks like there are a lot of people yelling about the storyline and saying that the time in which the movie takes place doesn't fit into the Star Trek Universe...even if it is a prequel. Sounds a lot like the 1st Transformers movie when people yelled about a bunch of different things as well. I guess the first movies don't get too much love because people expect too much and when they see it, they gripe about it because it's not like it was years ago. People need to see movies like this with a clear head...Go into it to have fun and enjoy the movie...Don't look for every little detail to be the same as it was years ago. Just enjoy it! :cool:

SamReeves
08-05-09, 17:34
I'm not interested in it but it's getting pretty good reviews on the Yahoo movie page. I'm waiting for Transformers 2. Judging by the reviews for the Star Trek movie...It looks like there are a lot of people yelling about the storyline and saying that the time in which the movie takes place doesn't fit into the Star Trek Universe...even if it is a prequel. Sounds a lot like the 1st Transformers movie when people yelled about a bunch of different things as well. I guess the first movies don't get too much love because people expect too much and when they see it, they gripe about it because it's not like it was years ago. People need to see movies like this with a clear head...Go into it to have fun and enjoy the movie...Don't look for every little detail to be the same as it was years ago. Just enjoy it! :cool:

Problem is that JJ Abhrams rewrote the last 40 years of Star Trek, completely. That's why a lot of fans are griping over it, this fan included! ;)

It think it's stupid to do so, especially when the franchise has had a long history. More than any other sci-fi franchise.

interstellardave
08-05-09, 17:39
Refresh my memory, Sam, but who, these days, is the caretaker of the Star Trek legacy? How was this allowed to happen?

Agent 47
08-05-09, 17:47
Problem is that JJ Abhrams rewrote the last 40 years of Star Trek, completely. That's why a lot of fans are griping over it, this fan included! ;)

It think it's stupid to do so, especially when the franchise has had a long history. More than any other sci-fi franchise.

what annoys me is how they're using the alternate timeline excuse to do away with 40 odd years, also worrying is how easy the fanbase have fallen for it hook line sinker :( any new tv show will now likely be set in this distorted continuity. it will take a brave bold writer to get back on the original universe.

and we're suck with the most horrible ship in sci-fi history :mad:

SamReeves
08-05-09, 17:50
what annoys me is how they're using the alternate timeline excuse to do away with 40 odd years, also worrying is how easy the fanbase have fallen for it hook line sinker :( any new tv show will now likely be set in this distorted continuity. it will take a brave bold writer to get back on the original universe.

and we're suck with the most horrible ship in sci-fi history :mad:

LOL! Yea, the ship looks like something a duck threw up in the lawn. :p

interstellardave
08-05-09, 17:52
What gets me even more angry the more I think about it is the fact that so many people are saying that Trek needs "a change" and it must be "updated for modern audiences". They either literally or figuratively are saying that it was inadequate as it was... and that is just totally wrong. At it's best Star Trek has been not only great Science Fiction but just plain great TV, Cinema, and writing.

Mr.Burns
08-05-09, 18:04
Speaking from the viewpoint who studied the business aspect of this industry, what they did made sense, at the expense of some hardcore fans. The franchise as a whole still has possibilities but as was seen with the last two movies and Enterprise, the established history and formula had grown stale. Now doing a reboot was probably inevitable anyway. I do think that it's possible that they could have stuck to the original history but with a new edge though I suspect they wanted a complete shakeup to the franchise, hence the time line change. Now personally I thought the film took an interesting twist in the franchise (no I didn't like the change in the time line or the design of the enterprise, most notably the nacelles), but trying to view it from someone who never really got into star trek, it definitely moved away from the technobabble that was so prevalent in the later movies/series. Yea, there was still the normal amount of technobabble but, the film as I saw it had more of a human element to it that was lost in the last movie (hated nemesis). I thought it was interesting to stand in line, waiting to get into the theater and see people leaving, all talking very excitedly, both trekkies and regular viewers. They wanted to bring in a new audience and I think they did just that.

As a long time fan of the series, it was a bit unsettling to see the changes though I have to admit, they keep some of the history and some jokes from the original series. Red shirts, "I'm a doctor, not a...", Karl Urban's interpretation of McCoy was very good and did feel a bit like DeForest's rendition, though with a different twist, the Kobyashi Maru, etc. So it wasn't a complete slap in the face to the purists but yea, if you're a purist, I'd stay away from the movie.

@Dave: Oh it was never inadequate, never at all. But I think the formula they used that was so successful twenty years ago, had become stale due to the influx of movies and tv shows that capitalized off of the star trek concepts. I find it odd to hear people who used to detest Star Trek suddenly interested in this movie.

IceColdLaraCroft
08-05-09, 18:34
The movie confuses me.

From what I know about the OS (Original Series) Vulcan doesn't get destroyed and Uhura was only a flirtation at best. Hope that answers your question :)

and I don't know about Old Spock

Flyin11
08-05-09, 19:38
You know, it's suppose to take place before the Star Trek of TV...It's supposed to be the beginning. Kirk and everyone else are younger than their characters on the TV shows so isn't there going to be quite a bit of change in the timeline anyways? This is when it was suppose to have begun.

It's sort of the same for the Transformers...The first movie is not going to be exactly like the 80's cartoons. It's a film based on todays time scale...Like if they came to earth today.

So, I just think there is obviously going to be some changes in the film.

silver_wolf
08-05-09, 20:40
So, I was never all that into Star Trek. Always thought it was sort of boring. Give me Jedi powers and a lightsaber over a phaser and tricorder any day. But, this looks good. It looks, ya know, fun. Something I'd expect from a sci-fi movie. So...there's my two cents.

Nerd For Life
08-05-09, 20:42
I watched the movie. I liked it... I never got into the OS, though.

erosan
09-05-09, 05:53
I just came from seeing it and it was amazing, i loved everything about it. Was there anything after the credits?

M.A.
09-05-09, 06:09
^

According to http://moviestinger.com/ , nope..

patriots88888
09-05-09, 07:28

@Dave: Oh it was never inadequate, never at all. But I think the formula they used that was so successful twenty years ago, had become stale due to the influx of movies and tv shows that capitalized off of the star trek concepts. I find it odd to hear people who used to detest Star Trek suddenly interested in this movie.

@Legend Killer: Not me. I won't be wasting my time regardless of whether that's paid time or free time!

@Mark: Not to me, it doesn't sound odd at all. It makes perfect sense. People want and like those things which "belong" to them. Because it's geared toward the younger, "newer" generation, it only stands to reason they like it. Not any different than the Tomb Raider franchise and the divide in the fanbase with that. It's only natural for the younger generation to despise and detest those things associated with the older generation. Just look at music alone as a perfect example. There are exceptions of course, but not many.

aussie500
09-05-09, 08:54
Well l have liked most things from the Star Trek world, never really took to the first movie, gave up watching Enterprise even though l liked some of the actors in other roles but love the original series, the books based on it, the animated series, Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager. l only saw one of the short trailers last night as an advert while watching something else and was impressed, had no trouble working out who the Vulcan in the science uniform was and guessed who kirk was. l was always curious about Chris Pike, never saw the pilot episode that l remember, but loved the Menagerie 2 parter.

Movie looked good to me l will at least buy the DVD when it is released, might even go and watch it at the cinema. l never take time lines too seriously if it turns out to be an alternate reality that is fine, so long as Kirk does not assassinate Capt. Pike.

oraclebop
09-05-09, 13:24
I was never a fan of the series but my dad was. So I watched it with him and he liked it. The movie was good and did it's best to keep the series fresh by using the whole

SPOILERS:

Time Travel back and change history to create an alternate Reality.

So in all terms, the universe the fans loved is still out there. And may one day return. :D

rowanlim
09-05-09, 13:30
I never followed the series but I think it was a good film :tmb:

Tjw croft
09-05-09, 15:09
Ok, well I'm gonna add my bit here. I liked it, alot. To tell the truth, I think chris pine did a better acting job than Shatner ever did on TOS, but TOS was incredible for it's time, so I'm not bashing it. I loved TOS. And as for the happenings of this movie, where they are now is in a paralel reality.
TNG, VOY and, (yes, and!) ENT were all good. The only one I didn't like was DS9.
And hopefully, I can someday make my own contribution to the ST movies.
At least two main participators in this thread know what I mean.

But back to the thread.
I personally think that the new Spock really does look like the old one, and Kirk is alot better as the guy who goes around getting into trouble.

This may well be the best ST for now (Until my contributions make it better lol)

Encore
09-05-09, 17:36
Wasn't planning on watching this one but someone invited me so I'll go sometime this week. And, to be honest, even though I'm not a Star Trek fan, it looks pretty big and entertaining with lots of special effects so it might be fun to watch in the cinema. I hope it's not too cryptic for non-fans though, because I know almost zero of the ST universe...

Dennis's Mom
09-05-09, 18:52
I grew up watching the original series. I loved it. I love the movies 2, 3, and 4. I cried twice during ST3. Once when the Enterprise was destroyed and the second at Spock's funeral. :( I mean, I love these guys.

We saw the movie last night. It was wonderful. Sure, they did an alternate timeline, but the characters were intact. The relationships were there. The spirit was there. If you really watched the old series the way I did (had to, not much TV choices back then) you see how careful they were to keep the characters intact.

It not that 40 years never happened; it did. Just now we get to watch them do it all again. :D

Agent 47
09-05-09, 19:40
the characters were intact. The relationships were there. The spirit was there. If you really watched the old series the way I did (had to, not much TV choices back then) you see how careful they were to keep the characters intact.

It not that 40 years never happened; it did. Just now we get to watch them do it all again. :D

i feel the exact opposite. i personally thought only McCoy was nailed and intact, for me it didn't feel like a Trek film.

yeah bits were ok but i wouldn't call it the best Trek ever produced. i'd say it totally wipes the floor with TNG movies and that's it,marginally beating Trek V also.

good film? yes
good Trek film? no

yes we do get to watch them again,out of place and out of time, i felt 50% of this film could've been done within existing continuity,i felt the story was done this way just get Mr Nimoy involved. i'd give this entry 7/10 (because Urban & Greenwood were believable :D

all i ask for Star Trek XII?.................change that damned horrible ship back to the refit version :D

irjudd
09-05-09, 20:39
I was busy playing with Legos when Star Trek was the cool thing to watch, so I'll probably see this film with no expectations or previous ideas about it. :tmb:

Shauni
09-05-09, 23:01
I loved the new film! :D The special effects were pretty amazing. Kirk is actually likable now too xD And I thought the new Spock was perfect! I'm so glad they had a scene with the new and old Spock together, because then you see how similar they really look (minus the age different of course).

I thought the girl was supposed to be with Kirk though? I was reaaally surprised when she and Spock were in the elevator! haha :p

Encore
09-05-09, 23:09
I saw some pretty good reviews of this movie so far!

Dia2blo
09-05-09, 23:32
It's good to hear some of you guys liked the movie :)

I always used to watch Star Trek with my dad when i was a kid, but it never really took. I was a bit skeptical when i heard about this film, but the second i saw the trailer i knew i had to see it.

Perhaps it is the same formula targeted at a younger audience as said, but for some odd reason i really loved this film. I think it was more because when the cheesy comedy was in place, it was done on purpose, whereas nowadays if special effects like those used in TOS were used, people would just laugh (for example, a lot of people chuckled in the cinema when aliens were on-screen, even though it wasn't meant to be humorous.) But for the most part, the comedy balanced out the cheese :p

I also saw the film a day early because my sister took me. It was so random :p

irjudd
10-05-09, 03:56
I saw some pretty good reviews of this movie so far!
I would definitely say that 84/100 based on 36 reviews is quite good :)

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/startrek2009

M.A.
11-05-09, 07:23
Just went back from my viewing. And my verdict:

I WANT A SEQUEL, NOW!!!!!!! :D

You know, when you have a meal, and you don't even feel full after eating it? That's X-Men Origins Wolverine.

Star Trek feels like a meal worth spending and made you really full and left wanting more!! That movie is worth every minute of it's screen time. It's awesome! I really want to see the sequel try to outdo this one.

*Please be noted, I'm not a Trekkie so my review is not biased by *ahem* "historical inaccuracies" like the other Trekkies are screaming their head off for now in the Internet. It's purely a moviegoer point of view. Plus I clapped when the movie ended. :D

fishlikelong
11-05-09, 10:30
So I saw this movie yesterday at work, one of the good things about working in a cinema, paid to watch movies haha, but anyway.
I wanna first say I am not a fan of star trek, I don't know the history or the stories or anything, I just knew who Captain Kirk was and Spok and thats about it so I wasn't sure what to expect or anything.

I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. It was very good and the effects were pretty awesome! It seemed like a good set up to all the events, and that random russion guy was interesting, the more I heard him the more I loved his accent lol.

I dont know how this film will fare with hard core trekkies but I did like it :D It was quite funny in places too but I think that Simon Pegg was a bit out of place.

Dennis's Mom
11-05-09, 13:05
Yeah, Simon Pegg's was sort of thrown in there, and suddenly he's the head of Engineering? What happened to the other head of Engineering? Although it it was classic Scotty, even if he didn't utter "they canna handle the strain!" :D

I'd just like to point out that the characters we're seeing in this movie are much younger versions of what we saw in the series. They're still getting to know each other at this point, so they're growing into the relationships we saw.

Personally, I think it was worth destroying Vulcun to get rid of Wynona Rdyer. :D Good actress, horribly miscast.

Did anyone see the recent broadcast of the Christies auction of Star Trek stuff? (http://www.christies.com/special_sites/startrek/overview.asp) I would have loved to have an Enterprise model.

Agent 47
11-05-09, 13:12
I WANT A SEQUEL, NOW!!!!!!! :D

don't worry, there'll be more diluted Trek for the masses in 2011, Paramount already pencilled in the year plus the cast signed a standard 3 movie deal contract.

meh!

I wanna first say I am not a fan of star trek, I don't know the history or the stories or anything, I just knew who Captain Kirk was and Spok and thats about it so I wasn't sure what to expect or anything.

you don't know the history? no wonder you love this film then.....the 40 year legacy no longer matters

I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. It was very good and the effects were pretty awesome! It seemed like a good set up to all the events, and that random russion guy was interesting, the more I heard him the more I loved his accent lol.

"awesome effects" is that what Trek for the masses is all about now? screw history,screw the fans, just make a mindless sfx movie..............meh!

I dont know how this film will fare with hard core trekkies but I did like it :D It was quite funny in places too but I think that Simon Pegg was a bit out of place.

it fared quite well amongst the established fanbase, starve a Trek fan of product for 5 years and they'll swallow and buy into anything with the Trek logo on it :(

for the amount of time Pegg was in this movie,they should've left him out imo, as for "random Russian guy" he was trying too hard to be Walter Koening's Chekov.

meh! hopefully the n00bs will get bored and i can get my proper Trek back,the real continuity :jmp:

tampi
11-05-09, 14:42
If you stay in the right country you can watch all old original series here:
http://www.youtube.com/show?p=Zk2dX5DnW_c

I can't :p

SamReeves
11-05-09, 16:09
don't worry, there'll be more diluted Trek for the masses in 2011, Paramount already pencilled in the year plus the cast signed a standard 3 movie deal contract.

Aaaack!!!! :mad:

Vinkula
11-05-09, 17:26
I AM BIG FAN OF ST: VOYAGER :P !!!

I am going to watch that... But it's sad there is no Voyager cast movie 8/

Agent 47
11-05-09, 17:32
I AM BIG FAN OF ST: VOYAGER :P !!!

I am going to watch that... But it's sad there is no Voyager cast movie 8/

dude, they couldn't even get these characters right.......god help the Voyager crew :eek:

Vinkula
11-05-09, 17:51
dude, they couldn't even get these characters right.......god help the Voyager crew :eek:

=)

Voyager was best and it is =)) I have all VOY DVD's :D

Phys
11-05-09, 19:00
=)

Voyager was best and it is =)) I have all VOY DVD's :D

Omg lend me them XD

touchthesky
11-05-09, 19:15
I dont like the series but went to see the film. I enjoyed it, and would watch more with this cast.

And may I say...

http://beingz.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/chris-pine_l.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h121/PhoenixRoseStar/Emotes/LoveDrool.gifhttp://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h121/PhoenixRoseStar/Emotes/LoveDrool.gifhttp://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h121/PhoenixRoseStar/Emotes/LoveDrool.gif

Agent 47
11-05-09, 19:53
I dont like the series but went to see the film. I enjoyed it, and would watch more with this cast.

then i really do pity the future of this once great franchise..........screw the old stuff, the new for n00bs is where it's at

pfft i'm getting off here before i do my self emotional damage beyond repair.

i'll tell you why i'm somewhat annoyed, the hardcore fanbase will stand by the franchise regardless,the brainless though will accept this and pretend it's the real thing, whereas you n00bs will soon get bored and move on to the next convenient big thing :mad:

Ward Dragon
11-05-09, 19:56
^ Look at it this way -- in another five years, maybe they'll "reboot" the franchise again by setting the timeline back the way it originally was :p

Dennis's Mom
11-05-09, 19:59
No one is pretending it's the "real thing." I've been a Star Trek fan for a long time. I view the new movie the way I would view a good alternate universe fanfic. I would never mistake it for the original.

SamReeves
11-05-09, 19:59
then i really do pity the future of this once great franchise..........screw the old stuff, the new for n00bs is where it's at

Yup, like in the other thread about reboots, it's happening everywhere. *sigh* :o

So the old curmudgeon fans ought to stock up on DVD sets or watch the SciFi channel. TNG and Enterprise are airing during the week. :)

^ Look at it this way -- in another five years, maybe they'll "reboot" the franchise again by setting the timeline back the way it originally was :p

LOL!!! Wishful thinking Jen! :)

voltz
11-05-09, 20:07

The more I keep thinking of it, the more I keep hoping they'll come around to their senses and start going full speed with "Mirror Universe" as well.

Evil Kirk at the helm...... Mwahaha! :jmp:

Agent 47
11-05-09, 20:12

i really hope that does happen, unlikely now though but i can hope :D

No one is pretending it's the "real thing." I've been a Star Trek fan for a long time. I view the new movie the way I would view a good alternate universe fanfic. I would never mistake it for the original.

sadly, this movie is now the new canon :vlol: i watched it too, with an open mind believe it or not. remove Star Trek from the title and it was a reasonable film. whenever i watch the old movies and tv series,when the opening notes or the 1701 appear on screen i feel a smile building. when i saw this nuTrek............nothing, no response at all to the ship or the cast :(

Yup, like in the other thread about reboots, it's happening everywhere. *sigh* :o
So the old curmudgeon fans ought to stock up on DVD sets or watch the SciFi channel. TNG and Enterprise are airing during the week. :)

LOL!!! Wishful thinking Jen! :)

you'd have thought this new movie would've generated interest in the old show now that it's been remastered and stuff. personally i don't see it happening, we live in a world now where "omg splosions and graffix rule"

i pity the fool :D

Tjw croft
11-05-09, 20:40
Ok, well amybe it could return to the normal timeline, but further in the future?
I could put my book up for that!

voltz
11-05-09, 20:50
sadly, this movie is now the new canon :vlol: i watched it too, with an open mind believe it or not. remove Star Trek from the title and it was a reasonable film. whenever i watch the old movies and tv series,when the opening notes or the 1701 appear on screen i feel a smile building. when i saw this nuTrek............nothing, no response at all to the ship or the cast :(

you'd have thought this new movie would've generated interest in the old show now that it's been remastered and stuff. personally i don't see it happening, we live in a world now where "omg splosions and graffix rule"

I know. It could be interesting if the cast decided to go ahead with a new series, but it'll have to remain established as "current" canon with all those things we knew about growing up with will having to take a back seat. Kinda sad, but then again Star Trek really has been all about Kirk Spock and McCoy and there's just no other way to do this.

No it's supposed to be like this... http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/381.gif

Flyin11
11-05-09, 20:52

We are also in the time where all these other movies that are snoozers and chick flicks, get the nods for Oscars and Emmys. :rolleyes:

voltz
11-05-09, 21:00
Those programs were never important enough to matter anyway. ;)

SamReeves
11-05-09, 21:25
We are also in the time where all these other movies that are snoozers and chick flicks, get the nods for Oscars and Emmys. :rolleyes:

LMAO! That's the truth! ;)

touchthesky
15-05-09, 20:16
Ahh just went to see this again, and when I stopped drooling over Mr Pine I realised;
http://i40.************/wbqtye.jpg
It's Kim from Home and Away! Hahahah! Oh no;
http://www.screenacademy.com/assets/images/chrisHemsworth_1.jpg

So random.

Enjoyed it again.
Don't like Spock though :/.

Jedd Fletcher
19-05-09, 01:44
^^No, who could not like Zachary Quinto's marvellously cold and logical Spock?

Aaaand, here is my full-lenght movie review of this marvellous film!

Movie Review 17/5/09

STAR TREK

Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban
Directed by: JJ Abrams
Distributed by: Paramount Pictures

We know the names. We know the catchphrases. “James T. Kirk”, “Mr Spock”, the Starship Enterprise and the Vulcan greeting “Live Long and Prosper” have long since been pillars of popular culture. Even a non-Trekkie (or Trekker, if one is particular about that sort of thing) would be wont to acknowledge this. Many have been quick to dismiss this latest silver screen Trek outing. However, this reviewer hopes they now know how wrong they were, and when it comes to this cinematic triumph, resistance is futile.

The film opens in the thick of a furious space battle between the Federation Starship USS Kelvin and the Narada, a mining ship manned by angry, time-displaced Romulans, led by the ruthless Captain Nero (Eric Bana). A heroic and sacrificial last-ditch attempt by newly-christened captain George Kirk (Chris Hemsworth) stalls the Narada.

George Kirk’s son James T. Kirk (Jimmy Bennet as a boy, Pine as a young man) grows into a paradoxical sort of farmboy, intelligent but dangerously reckless and with seemingly no interest in pursuing a career in Starfleet. Meanwhile, we glimpse the childhood of another important player in the Star Trek mythos, the half-human-half-Vulcan Spock. He is picked on for his mixed heritage but grows to be generally emotionless and logic-driven, as the Vulcans typically are.

The paths of Kirk and Spock collide when Kirk joins the Starfleet Academy, urged on by Captain Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood). Kirk’s bad-boy attitude carries on into Starfleet, as he flirts with fellow cadets and cheats a test created by Spock, thus angering the latter. Kirk also befriends the cantankerous medical student Leonard “Bones” McCoy (Urban), who later smuggles him onboard the starship Enterprise.

We are later reintroduced to a whole host of familiar characters, including communications officer Uhura (Zoe Saldana), helmsman Hikaru Sulu (John Cho) and the young ensign Pavel Chekov (Anton Yelchin). The action continues as the Enterprise battles the resurfaced Narada as Nero promises to destroy Spock’s homeworld of Vulcan. Sulu, Kirk and Chief Engineer Olson (Greg Ellis) performing a daring orbital skydive onto the Romulan’s drilling platform to perform a sabotage. The Romulans have also held Captain Pike hostage.

Later, Kirk gets into a heated argument with Spock, who maroons him onto the harsh ice planet of Delta Vega. Kirk encounters a nasty native creature, but is rescued by someone unexpected: the older Spock (Leonard Nimoy), who has traveled back in time from the future. On Delta Vega, the two recruit the scientist-technician Montgomery “Scotty” Scott (Simon Pegg) who joins the crew of the Enterprise. Eventually, everyone has to collaborate in order to rescue Captain Pike and defeat the rogue Romulans once and for all.

In a sea of unsuccessful “reboots”, “reinventions” or, if we’re all honest with ourselves, “rehashes” and “ripoffs”, Star Trek is an astounding breath of fresh air. Screenwriters Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman have very wisely employed smart plot devices in their favour instead of creating a mere retelling of the original Star Trek, which would have been predictable and perhaps even disrespectful, as Orci himself acknowledged. The film does dutifully go back to tell backstories and origins, which are normally a drag but in this case seem relevant and important.

One great thing about this film is that it is fairly accessible to Trek initiates, but is chock-full of tasty morsels for die-hard Trekkies as well. The film moves at warp speed, this reviewer barely felt the time pass. Normally, the phrase “thrill-a-minute” is used as an exaggeration; in this case the film was indeed packed with more excitement than one can wave a phaser gun at.

In the original 60’s television series starring William Shatner as Captain Kirk, episodes played out like games of Battleship with strategy and planning, mostly static and with little palpable action. In this Trek however, not only is there all the plotting and techno-babble we’ve come to expect, but also plenty of edge-of-your-seat, thrilling space battles that fit into the story just right.

Star Trek is also visually stunning and engaging, consciously retaining the look and feel of the original Star Trek but skillfully updating it with impressive and believable visual effects by Industrial Light and Magic – which is great as I felt very disappointed by the computer-generated effects they produced for last year’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The story involving time-travel is complex and layered but told in an easy-to-grasp, linear fashion, which is very difficult to achieve especially in a summer blockbuster, which are typically empty popcorn fare. Orci, Kurtzman, director JJ Abrams and others involved with the conception of this Trek deserve plenty of kudos for achieving this.

Director JJ Abrams (of Lost, Alias, Mission: Impossible III and Cloverfield fame) proves without a doubt that he’s the cinematic wunderkind to watch. Being just a casual fan, he is able to deftly balance the storytelling of the self-professed Trekkie screenwriters and seems to be adept at every last aspect of the filmmaking process. However, there is an overuse, however slight, of annoying lens flare effects and handheld shots which lend atmosphere but, after a while, get plain irritating.

Acting-wise, this is as solid an ensemble as one can get. The casting is the closest thing to perfection – not only are the new incarnations of classic Trek characters mostly very good-looking (women can pine for pretty-boy Pine and the intense Quinto, while the men have Zoe Saldana to lust after), they are great matches for the unmistakable personalities of these science fiction icons.

Zachary Quinto is definitely a standout as Spock. He masterfully conveys the character’s suppressed struggle to reconcile logic and emotion, being half-human-half-Vulcan. An iconic character that is misunderstood but himself understands everything could have fallen apart in the hands of a lesser actor, so Quinto as Spock appears to be one of many casting triumphs in this movie. Karl Urban is also enjoyable to watch as the ship’s doctor “Bones”, effortlessly conveying the character’s signature quirks. He also displays excellent comic timing in one humorous scene in which Bones chases down Kirk, injecting him with multiple serums in order to keep an induced illness in check.

As for the main star Chris Pine, he proves that he’s more than just a pretty boy and just about steps up to the plate. However, he is nowhere near a match for Shatner. Then again, it is unlikely anyone can be. The young and talented Anton Yelchin marks himself as the one to watch in this film, sportingly marshalling Chekov’s thick Russian accent and bringing some youthful sprite to the bridge of the Enterprise. Hidden under much makeup, Eric Bana, in this reviewer’s mind one of today’s most talented actors, does not have to do much as the irrational and evil Nero, but more than makes do with his material anyway.

Leonard Nimoy as the elder Spock puts in far more than a mere cameo (which I assumed was the case). His warmth and kindness radiates off the screen, in stark contrast with the cold logic of the younger Spock. Nimoy proves he can do a mean Spock more than forty years after he first stuck on the pointy prosthetic ears, and his appearance also lends authenticity and gravitas to the film, for those not already convinced.

In the end, Abrams’ Star Trek laughs would-be detractors in the face and presents itself as a prime (forgive the pun) example as everything a series reboot should be – unwaveringly faithful to the original while opening up future movies to worlds of possibilities. I really loved how the film closed with the famous opening monologue (“Space: the final frontier etc”) of the original series, recited by Nimoy himself. That gave me goosebumps. Ultimately, it is a sweeping, truly immersive adventure that rams head-on into the shields the franchise has unwittingly set up around its hull over the past forty-odd years. With this film, we can rest assured that the Trek franchise’s intergalactic journey is far from over.

RATING: 4.5/5 STARS

ECB
19-05-09, 02:40
I saw this Friday. I had no clue what was going on and once old Spock came on "I said screw it. I have no clue what's going on and I'm going to sleep." :D

touchthesky
19-05-09, 10:06
^^No, who could not like Zachary Quinto's marvellously cold and logical Spock?

Me =P. I think it's just one part that makes me hate him though lol..Other than that he's not too bad a guy.

<3 Kirk though.

*laralover*
19-05-09, 10:17
Well iv never really been into Star Trek it bored me to be honest. I love Star Wars though and Star Gate is enjoyable :D Anyways seen the movie and i thought it was enjoyable. I can see why some Star Trek fans may be miffed though :o

thanatos
19-05-09, 13:22

It's people like you that cause all the big Hollywood movies to be nothing but mindless explosions and cheesy duologue. no offence.

Survival
19-05-09, 14:49
02LgdXVkXgM
:D

Legend Killer
19-05-09, 15:31
:vlol: :vlol: :vlol: That's awesome! :cln: