PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Lavinder
23-03-09, 18:22
What is Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a serious anxiety-related
condition that affects as many as three in a hundred people – from young children to older adults - regardless of gender and social or cultural background. Sufferers often go undiagnosed for many years, partially because of a lack of understanding of the condition, and partially because of the intense feelings of embarrassment, guilt and sometimes even shame associated with what is often called the ‘secret illness’.
Does anyone suffer from an OCD or have any tips to how they have broken their disorder?

I have many OCD's and they're driving me mad. I'm even breaking my headset because I have an OCD of making sure my jack is connected to my pc - I've even bruised the joint of my thumb because I keep pushing it in.

Share!

Melonie Tomb Raider
23-03-09, 18:25
I used to have it a tiny bit when I was younger. If I ever bumped into something with one arm, I'd do it again with the other. Never got out of control, but just something I remember. :p

I don't seem to have that problem anymore though, it's all in your state of mind. :)

Lee croft
23-03-09, 18:26
i have a minor one i wash my hands when ever i think germs have got on them because im frightend of food poisning

Joely-Moley
23-03-09, 18:28
I think I have a mild form of it.

My hand have to be clean, i wash them about 100 times a day. I freak if i touch something dirty. I also have hand sanitiser with me everywhere at all times and use that all time time because I think my hands aren't clean.

I am obsessive with cleanliness and hygiene as well in general. Everything has to be arranged a certain way. My cds book and games all have to be perfect alphabetical order or else I can't stand it.

At junctions I need to look each way 10 times even if the roads are dead, I just can't go otherwise. Convinced I will crash if I go before that.

I've not really found away to overcome any of that though, but I can deal with it.

VonCroy360
23-03-09, 18:28
I suffer from OCD. It's nothing major that would prevent me from doing everyday activities, but it can be quite unpleasant and embarassing when outside, for example, or with people I don't know.

At junctions I need to look each way 10 times even if the roads are dead, I just can't go otherwise. Convinced I will crash if I go before that.

Sometimes I make even less sense than that. I sometimes "have to" jump over every second step or turn the light on and off the exact number of times so that something totally unrelated (like something in school, for example) would happen.

digitizedboy
23-03-09, 18:36
Not reallly, I have a "don't care attitude" lately so why would I bother with having an OCD. lol I must admit though, when I was a teen I used to go out the door and start walking to college thinking I didin't shut the front door properly. And then end up walking back 10 minutes into my journey because I was worried.

peeves
23-03-09, 18:38
I have one where everything has to be right or perfect or proper and another one i used to have when i was spitting i wouldn't swallow my own saliva coz i thought there were bacteria in it bad ones in fact i thought.

AmericanAssassin
23-03-09, 18:42
Anybody who knows me well would probably tell you that I have severe obsessive compulsive disorder. Have I been tested for it? No. However, there are certain things I have to do on a regular basis (organize, clean, prepare, etc.) to be happy. If I don't do certain things, my mind will continuously go back to that topic, until that task is completed. Not completing such tasks will cause me to become emotional. When get emotional, I get mean. Honestly, I feel that my OCD is getting in the way of my life sometimes. Especially at work. Other Walmart employees tell me that they hate how much I clean because they feel like they'll lose their jobs if they don't keep up. You should see my DVD collection. All 288 of them are alphabetized by series titles (with the words The, A, and An being ignored). :)

Biddy
23-03-09, 18:47
A bit of a germ-freak, I rewash my plates like 3 to 4 times before putting them on the dish rack. I wash my hands repeatedly too. No matter how clean.

Reggie
23-03-09, 18:54
I can't say that I do. I'm very precise and particular about things that I think matter but I can always attribute good reasons as to why. For example I'm careful about spelling so that no one misunderstands and its usually polite and more educated looking to make an effort in that department. Apart from that, I don't think I've ever been that worried about the small stuff.

Changeling
23-03-09, 18:56
I have a small one where if I set something down on a desk (like a folder or a jotter) it has to be placed perfectly in the upper-right hand corner of the desk and at a right-angle. I can live without doing it, but it just comes sub-consciously and I hate it when my desks at school are messy. :p

I also have another one about the way I smell. I have to scrub myself thoroughly in the shower (no such thing as a quick shower for me XD) and I have to spray deodorant under my arms, on my arms, over my chest and over my legs because I'm paranoid that people will think I smell bad if I don't do it :o

disneyprincess20
23-03-09, 19:01
My fiancé has it, to a certain degree. He has to have things clean and has to clean them in a certain way. He gets very upset when things aren't "perfect": when there are little scratches on things.
He's getting a lot better, putting things into perspective and realising that little scratches on the packaging of something does not make the inside worthless. He's using a technique called cognitive behavioural therapy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy) to help himself. He's got a couple of workbooks and is going through them slowly, and I think it's having an effect. It might not work for everybody, but it's helping him.

TombRaiderLover
23-03-09, 19:04
He's getting a lot better, putting things into perspective and realising that little scratches on the packaging of something does not make the inside worthless. .
Reminds me of my DVD obsession. I no longer lend out my films in their original cases, because the simplest marks irritate me.

jjbennett
23-03-09, 19:24
^ My CDs are all pristine, there used and then re-cased. They are also ordered in Artists (alphabetical) and then that artists CDs are then organised by date, earliest release first. I personally don't see that as OCD, it's a system to find things quickly - my Dad thinks otherwise though.

I do like to line things up at edges and have things parallel and straight as well.

MiCkiZ88
23-03-09, 19:28
I'm not sure if I have it, but there are things I MUST do before I feel better. If I leave things undone I feel horrible. If things are not arranged properly I feel horrible. If I do not say or do things to someone before they leave or do something, I think it causes bad luck or something bad might happen..

Usually I'm just afraid of someone close to me dying if I dont do something or wish him/her a safe trip.

TRfan23
23-03-09, 19:41
Mild form of it over here :)

1. Hands have to be washed with soap. Then I must put hand cream on them, or I assume the cleaning process isn't 100% complete ;)
2. Every school lesson, I have my pencil case on top of my day book in the corner of my desk in front of me.
3. Must make sure I have all H\W done before the day it's due in.
4. Make sure I'm organised for school.
5. Make sure I make every post on TRF perfect, and try not to over react, with my hyperactivity. Refers back to the last two spammage bans last year.
6. Everyday after I've finished on my laptop, I must run CCleaner to clean up all junk data. Same for TuneUp Utilities.

The next following are ones are ones I grew up away from:

1. When reading, I mustn't digress and daydream.
2. Make sure when I play a game (video game), I don't leave it. I actually finish the whole game off.

]{eith
23-03-09, 19:46
I don't really know. I don't really have things that I must do. I'm really a 'couldn't give a ****' kinda guy. Perhaps there are things but I'm not aware of it.

rickybazire
23-03-09, 19:50
I used to have it a tiny bit when I was younger. If I ever bumped into something with one arm, I'd do it again with the other. Never got out of control, but just something I remember. :p

I always do that. I started since like 12 kinda. If I breathe onto my left arm, I have to do the same for my right arm. It's kinda like as though it's got to be equal.

That's all I do, that's close to OCD.

Aphrodite22
23-03-09, 20:02
Sometimes I make even less sense than that. I sometimes "have to" jump over every second step or turn the light on and off the exact number of times so that something totally unrelated (like something in school, for example) would happen.

omg that happens to me a lot!

Assassino
23-03-09, 21:08
I've got it...it's only mild though, I do things in 5's & things have to even out on both sides like if I scuff my right elbow...I scuff my left to even it out lol! :D
I used to be an annoying swine apparently.

Titanium
23-03-09, 21:10
I suffer from it as well. I used to have the standard germ obsession and stuff like that. But I kinda got over it. But I still have some parts of it that **** me off however. Still I'm confident that I will someday overcome it. :tmb:

And the article says 3 in 100, I reckon its way more then that. Probably 1 in 10.

Punaxe
23-03-09, 21:12
Many of you seem to confuse actual OCD with much milder, and extremely common neuroses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosis). Don't worry, you don't have a disease. ;)

I do not have OCD, but I did have neuroses. Key to my success of overcoming them was a gradual change of the "rules". For example, I was never allowed to touch tiles that were the first or second in a row from that area's border. So my attention always went to avoiding the first two tiles from a border. I then gradually started telling myself, "well, two halves are also okay"... "well, two centimers is also allowed"... "two millimeters is fine"... "there will always be some unit of two that'll be adhered to"... before finally realizing how nonsensical it was and stopping it altogether. I think such a gradual changing of habits is what cognitive behavioral therapy, which disneyprincess20 mentioned, tries to do as well.

Titanium
23-03-09, 21:16
Many of you seem to confuse actual OCD with much milder, and extremely common neuroses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosis). Don't worry, you don't have a disease. ;)

I do not have OCD, but I did have neuroses. Key to my success of overcoming them was a gradual change of the "rules". For example, I was never allowed to touch tiles that were the first or second in a row from that area's border. So my attention always went to avoiding the first two tiles from a border. I then gradually started telling myself, "well, two halves are also okay"... "well, two centimers is also allowed"... "two millimeters is fine"... "there will always be some unit of two that'll be adhered to"... before finally realizing how nonsensical it was and stopping it altogether. I think such a gradual changing of habits is what cognitive behavioral therapy, which disneyprincess20 mentioned, tries to do as well.

Neurosis... that might be exactly what I have. Thanks Punaxe. :)

Forwen
23-03-09, 21:28
If the original poster refers to the kind of inner "pull" forcing you to do something completely random (whatever it's called) then I used to have this phenomenon reoccuring up until I was 14 or so. Nowadays, my only obsession is washing my hands everytime after I touch an animal.

Voni
23-03-09, 21:37
I was diagnosed with OCD a few years ago, it wasn't about having to repeat rituals as described here, more to do with obsessing over certain thoughts. To be honest, I thought the diagnosis was a bit suspect.

Lew
23-03-09, 21:49
i have to control things to my full potential like if someone changes something of my personal stuff such as storage i always put it back.

Lavinder
23-03-09, 21:55
Aha, I've done well so far tonight - gone about 3 hours without touching my jacks, but I constantly keep thinking about it. I will soon grow out of it - when I was about 12-13 I had a habit of making sure every draw was closed properly. I believe stress brings it out in me, because when I'm happy with life I'm fine, also when Jamie is with me I don't think about any of these silly things.

I also have an OCD of keep checking if my phone alarm is on and drinking my drink only leaving a tiny bit of drink left for my pill in the morning before I go to bed.

xMiSsCrOfTx
23-03-09, 22:18
Not sure about OCD, but what Punaxe said about neuroses, I think I have a few of those. When I'm driving, I have to have my window rolled down just a little, even if it's just cracked open a sliver. It could be below zero out and I'll open it a tiny bit, just turn the heat up more. Also, I have a huge problem with mirrors. Whenever I see one, I'll look in it. It's SO annoying! That goes for windows at stores, sides of cars, etc. It's like a subconscious fear I have something on my face or my hair's sticking out funny. It's annoying and my friends/family tease me about it all the time, saying I'm vain, but very seldom do I look at my reflection and be all "oh my GOD, I'm GORGEOUS", ya know?

jamieoliver22
23-03-09, 22:20
I do have a bit of an OCD with washing my hands. If I can feel anything on them, dirt/grease/something sticky/etc - it bugs me, I just have to wash them. I end up washing my hands loads throughout the day (nothing stupidly excessively though).

i have to control things to my full potential like if someone changes something of my personal stuff such as storage i always put it back.

I am like that too - It really bothers me if I know someone has been messing with my stuff or if someone has moved something. I know exactly where things are (as they say, one persons mess is another persons filling system...), and I hate it when things get moved. I get quite possessive over material things to be honest, which is kinda silly. I have never been one for sharing my person belongings.

da tomb raider!
23-03-09, 22:34
I'm not sure if it's an OCD or just extreme perfectionism, but I've had some mental disorder for about 5 years now and sometimes it drives me nuts. Basically, every electronic (yes, electronic, for some crazy reason) in the house, be it a TV, games console, or stereo, has to be in a certain position. Not necessarily a straight postition, just a position I'm happy with. If I'm not happy with it, I feel really upset, and can't concentrate on anything else until I've dealt with it. Eventually, I got so demanding with putting these electronics in a certain position (I had to do it at a certain time on a certain day without talking, blinking or even breathing. Believe it or not, it's true), I simply couldn't do it anymore - it wasn't possible. So I was forced to stop doing it, and, after a while of depression, stopped worrying about it. Everything was fine for a while, but now it's crept back in other forms. Now I worry about, for instance, what position a disc is in a stereo before I close the lid. It's nothing but a very minor annoyance now, so I'm not doing anything about it now, but it'll probably get worse eventually. Time will tell, I guess...

Ikas90
23-03-09, 23:01
I often check my pockets to make sure my wallet, keys, etc are still there. Not sure if that's obsessive compulsive, but I've had worse in the past. If someone spun me around, I ALWAYS had to spin around back the other way to 'restore' my position. Also if I took one particular route to out of the classroom into the playground during lunch time (this was back in primary school), I HAD to go back the EXACT same way, life or death situation. I actually got in trouble for it one time, because the teacher thought I was running away, when I was just going back to the classroom via the same route I got out.

erosan
23-03-09, 23:52
There are two doors in my room. And these doors ALWAYS have to be closed or else i can't do anything without wanting to close that door. idk maybe this isn't OCD but this is the closest thing i have

Draco
24-03-09, 00:54
Im the complete opposite of an OCD person...mainly because I like to see the reactions from everyone I know that has it.

Thorir
24-03-09, 01:36
Everyone has some compulsive habits.
It's natural.

Only a psychiatrists can tell you if you have it in a severe degree, like a Obsessive Compulsive personality disorder.
It is a crippeling personality disorder and it can't be cured by good advices. That's like telling a psychopath to be nice.
Personality disorders stems from the childhood and will often take years of therepy to improve. Often with a huge mixture of medication.

CerebralAssassin
24-03-09, 01:41
I MUST smell the pages of a new book I purchase...or else I go crazy

and also I use too much Toilet paper

that probably qualifies as OC :D

DaNoNeMoKiId
24-03-09, 02:25
I'm not sure if its OCD or not but everytime i buy or recieve an electronic item like a cellphone or whatever, I always make sure its spotless and there's no smudge marks or fingerprints or whatever dirty substance is on it, and if it gets a scratch, like a tiny bit, I freak for like 10 seconds then I calm down and just try to ignore it. I know i'm kind of crazy.

Nannonxyay
24-03-09, 10:24
I have to organize all my folders and documents on my computer and make sure they're in the correct folders. I found a picture of my friend in my "Me" folder in My Pictures and started freaking out and ended up rearranging pretty much all my pictures instead of moving just one photo.

Nenya awakens
24-03-09, 11:05
If im leaving the kitchen after cooking on the stove, i have to check at least 3 times before i leave that all the gas nozzles are turned off and that the fridge door is shut.

oh and i cant stand doors being open, if i'm in a room i have to have the door shut.. cant explain why.

Keir_Eidos
24-03-09, 11:29
When at work I have to have the windows on my PC open in the following order:

Outlook email
Firefox - Official Eidos forums (and tabs in the 'correct' order)
Firefox - Unofficial Eidos communities and forums (and tabs in the 'correct' order)
Firefox - Misc.
Music folder
Windows Media Player

And only*then* can I have MSN windows, etc. I

If things aren't in that order I can't concentrate ( :mad: and :( ) f a window closes or crashes so they're out of order, I normally close everything and start again so they're in the correct order. I want Bill Gates to enable me to drag and drop windows to reorganise them in the task bar :D

Jo269976
24-03-09, 11:35
I wash my hands every single time I see a faucet.

Fact.

disneyprincess20
24-03-09, 11:43
When at work I have to have the windows on my PC open in the following order:

Outlook email
Firefox - Official Eidos forums (and tabs in the correct order)
Firefox - Unofficial Eidos communities and forums (and tabs in the correct order)
Firefox - Misc.
Music folder
Windows Media Player

And only*then* can I have MSN windows, etc.

If things aren't in that order I can't concentrate ( :mad: and :( )

I also need my work tabs in the correct order: Email, Parent Task Tab, Child Task Tab and "Grand"Child Task Tab. If they're out it's really distracting!

Chocola teapot
24-03-09, 16:16
In my bedroom I can't have anything pointed towards me or any staring eyes or anything barely resembling a face in my line of view or I will not sleep! And my bathroon door must be closed! :?

Andyroo
24-03-09, 16:28
I wash my hands every single time I see a faucet.

I punch myself in the face every time I
see or hear the word 'faucet',

I can't sleep until my tv is turned off, it's just too damn loud.

Andy.

Naz2000
24-03-09, 16:45
Last year I realised I was becoming to obsessive over things and wasn't living properly. This year however I have tried to stop worrying about such little things and starting to ignore them and I feel much more free.

corey01
24-03-09, 16:52
I used to flick my light switch on and off like five times before i left the room :p lol. Oh yeah, and i cant sleep if my room isnt tidy, quite strange for a 17 year old !:p
Im also quite paranoid about catching the stomach bug, so if someone has it I wont breathe in near them lmao

Nerd For Life
24-03-09, 17:00
I have a few...

-I check every door in the house before I leave. More than once, I even go upstairs to check again if I feel like I have to.

-I check countless times if my alarm clock is correctly set (cellphone). I cannot sleep if I don't do this.

-It drives me nuts when people are fiddling around my DVD collection and take them and put them back with the titles upside down. I have to put them my own way a second later

-I have to check my teeth everytime I'm looking at a mirror

I'm sure there's more. I just can't remember.

Twilight
24-03-09, 20:38
i don't think i have them anymore. it's annoying being driven by fear. i guess i just thought, "**** fear, i want to live."