PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel?

patriots88888
24-03-09, 09:15
I noticed that lately I've been having severe muscle cramps in my hands and wrist. Most likely from excessive usage of handling the mouse. It's gotten to the point where I've lost a considerable amount of hand strength and have trouble holding onto things and twisting off soda pop tops and such. :o Also I get severe shooting pain through my wrists and hands at times as well. Unfortunately I have to use the mouse on a daily basis for extended periods of time. My work requires it.

Has anybody else been affected like this or suffered from carpal tunnel? Is there any way to reverse it, or what can be done to prevent it from getting any worse?

Orionvalentine
24-03-09, 09:22
I always thought that carpal tunnel was something to do with vision :o

I get hand cramps a lot, especially after a lot of mouse usage. But this may be down to the arthritis that I have :o Do you also have cold hands when this happens, if you do it may be the beginnings of arthritis.

rowanlim
24-03-09, 09:30
I noticed that lately I've been having severe muscle cramps in my hands and wrist. Most likely from excessive usage of handling the mouse. It's gotten to the point where I've lost a considerable amount of hand strength and have trouble holding onto things and twisting off soda pop tops and such. :o Also I get severe shooting pain through my wrists and hands at times as well. Unfortunately I have to use the mouse on a daily basis for extended periods of time. My work requires it.

Sounds like RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury), it happens when you repetitively carry out movements that strain your nerves & muscles, like typing, holding the mouse, holding a musical instrument etc.

I think this site (http://www.rsi.org.uk/) explains the condition pretty well, I've gotten it sometimes, you can take painkillers but that doesn't solve the problem. If you can find a way to continue your work in an ergonomic way, then the pain should ease.

CerebralAssassin
24-03-09, 09:39
Sounds like RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury), it happens when you repetitively carry out movements that strain your nerves & muscles, like typing, holding the mouse, holding a musical instrument etc.

I think this site (http://www.rsi.org.uk/) explains the condition pretty well, I've gotten it sometimes, you can take painkillers but that doesn't solve the problem. If you can find a way to continue your work in an ergonomic way, then the pain should ease.

yeah I got something like that toward the end of the season last year...it got to the point where my forearms would ache so bad I couldn't fall asleep...but the pains fortunately went away:) (handling about 400-500 luggages a day takes a lot out of you,trust me)

rowanlim
24-03-09, 09:45
I've gotten RSI before, when I used the mouse too much, the joint between my right thumb & the rest of my hand would swell & hurt a lot. It doesn't happen so much now, it's all about knowing when to take a break from work :)

Legend Killer
24-03-09, 10:12
If you can find a way to continue your work in an ergonomic way, then the pain should ease.

That is key. Proper ergonomics should really help you there. If this is in the workplace it should be within your rights to request modifications to your workstation area. Also, have you used a trackball mouse before?

Voni
24-03-09, 10:53
Trackballs are brilliant for stopping yourself from injuring your hand like that. I've got one and it's brilliant. Might be worth getting one!

Goose
24-03-09, 12:03
Carpal Tunnel is where your tendons rub against the tubing they live in, squashing a nerve, alot of musicians and stuff can get that, but for PC's its definatly RSI i would hazard to say.

rowanlim
24-03-09, 12:36
That is key. Proper ergonomics should really help you there. If this is in the workplace it should be within your rights to request modifications to your workstation area. Also, have you used a trackball mouse before?

Yeah you can request for modification, also check the height of the desk, when you hold the mouse, it should be at the same level with your wrist to avoid strain.

A wrist cushion helps, my friend had RSI but after using the cushion, her wrist rarely hurts anymore. It looks like the one below:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd164/rowanlim/rl2/promotionalmousepad_2.jpg

You could also get the pad for when you type on the keyboard:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd164/rowanlim/rl2/239663.jpg
*Don't mind the funny baguette design :D

At least if your company doesn't allow modifications, then you could try to minimize the strain on your wrists. Also take breaks to exercise your wrist :)

Love2Raid
24-03-09, 12:52
Sounds like RSI to me indeed.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Do you have tinglings/numbness in your hand, especially thumb/index/middle finger? Do the symptoms become severe during the night and decrease a bit when you 'shake' your hand then?
Does tapping on the median nerve from that hand (see image) elicit the symptoms (tingling etc = Tinel test)?

http://www.chirurgenwerk.eu/images/images_anatomie/260.png

See your general practitioner/family doctor to be sure. Make sure to get enough rest and regular breaks during your (computer) work. Maybe a new mouse or some kind of cushion (don't know what it's called) where you can rest your wrists on while typing/using the mouse will help.

BlackFlame
24-03-09, 16:21
Sounds like RSI to me indeed.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Do you have tinglings/numbness in your hand, especially thumb/index/middle finger? Do the symptoms become severe during the night and decrease a bit when you 'shake' your hand then?
Does tapping on the median nerve from that hand (see image) elicit the symptoms (tingling etc = Tinel test)?

Yeah, I'm lucky enough to suffer from Carpal Tunnel, Tennis elbow and Golf elbow...to many years at the gym and working on a keyboard all day.... cortisone shots, pain killers, anti-inflammatories......

Rest it, take advice, where a brace for a while if you need to.... I have days where I can barely bend my arm because of the tennis elbow, or straighten because of the golf elbow...and the pain in my hands can be unreal.

Get it checked out now.

jamieoliver22
24-03-09, 16:37
I suffer from RSI too (not too bad though). I suggest that you buy an NSD Powerball (http://www.powerballs.com/) - they help with your wrist joints a lot, and help to built strength in your arms. I have one, and they are really useful, I feel much better straight after using it. See here: http://www.powerballs.com/rehab.php?m=Benefits

I managed to get one for only 10, and it is worth every penny. There are some on Play.com for as little as 5.99 - http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/6-/Search.html?searchstring=powerball&searchtype=GADG&searchsource=1
And a timer isn't really necessary.

Love2Raid
24-03-09, 17:15
Yeah, I'm lucky enough to suffer from Carpal Tunnel, Tennis elbow and Golf elbow...to many years at the gym and working on a keyboard all day.... cortisone shots, pain killers, anti-inflammatories......

Rest it, take advice, where a brace for a while if you need to.... I have days where I can barely bend my arm because of the tennis elbow, or straighten because of the golf elbow...and the pain in my hands can be unreal.

Get it checked out now.

:eek: That sounds awfull! :hug:

demonslayer
24-03-09, 17:21
my mum sufferes from carpal tunnel, they gave her a quaterzone (sp?) injection in her shoulder and it relieves the pressure, they going to do an operation to cut away some skin and relieve the pressure even more, but my mum wont go... :(

BlackFlame
24-03-09, 17:45
my mum sufferes from carpal tunnel, they gave her a quaterzone (sp?) injection in her shoulder and it relieves the pressure, they going to do an operation to cut away some skin and relieve the pressure even more, but my mum wont go... :(

The op is only successful in about 50% of people (they actually cut a band of tissue through which the tendons pass)

demonslayer
24-03-09, 17:47
(they actually cut a band of tissue through which the tendons pass)

yeah thats what i meant lol

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-03-09, 18:48
I have a lot of trouble with pain shooting in the bones of my fingers. Not sure what it is, might be carpel tunnel. :p

oocladableeblah
24-03-09, 20:24
Maybe try switching hands when using the mouse. Sure it feels weird, but that would give your dominant hand a break from constant use of the mouse.

Twilight
24-03-09, 20:34
the first time i heard of carpal tunnel i though it was "carpool tunnel" where people who are carpooling get a carwash...nvm....no i never got carpal tunnel, it sounds painful. i stretch my wrists and fingers a lot anyway.

Tihocan9
24-03-09, 20:43
I would say just to be safe call a doctor, my dad had the same thing when he was younger and did nothing about it now even after he has had surgery on his wrists he can barely hold a phone or pen etc for too long.

patriots88888
25-03-09, 11:06
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. :) I'm going to get a more ergonomic mouse and workstation ASAP. I'm going to miss my optical mouse though. I've used the same one for over 5 years now. :o

rowanlim
25-03-09, 12:28
Also get a mouse that isn't too small, don't strain your hand gripping it :)