PDA

View Full Version : Is revenge really worth it?

Biddy
25-03-09, 20:32
Have you found revenge to be sweet or sour? Human beings have an instinct to retaliate if they have had been done wrong.

Personally, I feel that my urge to 'get even' sometimes gets me so caught up that I neglect everything else and focus on hurting that person, all in the silly spirit of revenge. But I've learn better now. :)

Gandhi once said that if everyone followed the rule of 'an eye for an eye', we would all be walking blind. I agree, but what do you think?

Nerd For Life
25-03-09, 20:32
I prefer to let karma take over. What goes around, comes around.

I don't seek out revenge... I'd rather sit and enjoy.

viper456
25-03-09, 20:34
Sometimes...the person you want to seek revenge against really REALLY deserves it. I'm not a nasty person, in fact I'm far from it. But hurt me, or my friends enough and you will feel my wrath; and it ain't pretty...

short answer: sweet. Like honey.

Drone
25-03-09, 20:35
word revenge doesn't exist to me. There is only the Punishment

:wve:

SamReeves
25-03-09, 20:36
if it's a practical joke, sure it's fun then. :) But only for very minor offenses.

But if somebody really has done wrong, I'd rather let them stumble over themselves and cackle about it later! :mis:

violentblossom
25-03-09, 20:36

i'm the same. sometimes it feels nice to tell someone off or spit in their food, but letting them get their own eventually is the way to go, then you can gloat in secret later.

i have a bad temper, so my first instinct is usually revenge, but i'm trying to learn to control it.

Rai
25-03-09, 20:37
I've never taken revenge on anyone, so I can't speak from experience. I'd imagine though that revenge brings nothing more than a moment of satisfaction, nothing more. It won't solve anything in the long term.

Siberian Tiger
25-03-09, 20:38
Funny that you bring this up because the topic has been playing on my mind lately. I'm sure I've gotten revenge for small things in the past, usually not benefiting myself a great deal. There is one person I think deserves revenge and achieving it would require a lot of effort, but then I tell myself it probably wouldn't be worth anything. I may think I'll somehow feel better, but that may not be the end result.

Biddy
25-03-09, 20:38
word revenge doesn't exist to me. There is only the Punishment

2 words: Frank Castle ;)

Nerd For Life
25-03-09, 20:53
i'm the same. sometimes it feels nice to tell someone off or spit in their food, but letting them get their own eventually is the way to go, then you can gloat in secret later.

i have a bad temper, so my first instinct is usually revenge, but i'm trying to learn to control it.

Yeah I have a really bad temper too. But due to some recent events, I've learned that karma is a ***** and I love it.

Knowing that someone who's hurt you in the past is failing in life... it's such a wonderful feeling.

angelfaithrox
25-03-09, 21:02

MiCkiZ88
25-03-09, 21:13
Hardly.. Sometimes it does feel sweet (especially if you've been insulted rather badly) to say something back, but otherwise it's useless. Most likely it will just create an endless circle or revenge. Besides spreading rumors against rumors is just.. pathetic.

Biddy
25-03-09, 21:19
Yeah I have a really bad temper too. But due to some recent events, I've learned that karma is a ***** and I love it.

Knowing that someone who's hurt you in the past is failing in life... it's such a wonderful feeling.

that may not be the case though sometimes.

EgyptianSoul
25-03-09, 21:28
In my opinion revenge isn't really worth it... Karma on the other hand (if it is true) can be sweet.

There was this one guy who used to bully me all the time at school when I was a kid. He'd beat me up every chance he got until I started carrying a knife for self defense. :mis: I never used it, it was enough that people knew what I was packing.

A few years back I found out this guy had died of drug overdose.

Was it karma? I don't know but I'm glad he's gone. Does that make me a bad person. :cool:

ShadyCroft
25-03-09, 21:40
I don't seek revenge unless whoever hurt me did it in a very bad, unforgettable way.

Pull pranks on me, that's fine, I'm a sweet spirited person :p, otherwise....I get angry, and you won't like me when I'm angry

Quasimodo
25-03-09, 21:42
Does revenge even exist outside of fiction? Every time I read the word, I picture some dastardly villain rubbing his hands together and cackling with glee.

Atlantisfreak666
25-03-09, 21:44
Is revenge really worth it?

Yes, it really is.

irjudd
25-03-09, 21:50
Revenge: No

Vengeance: Yes

da tomb raider!
25-03-09, 21:52
I wouldn't know.

spikejones
25-03-09, 22:04
revenge is a dish best served cold

failure to follow that mantra landed me with some criminal charges.

rowanlim
26-03-09, 03:43
Revenge: No

Vengeance: Yes

:tmb: Exactly. I used to be mean & petty before, I'm trying to cut that out :D

spikejones
26-03-09, 03:48
^ I always viewed the two as synonymous :confused:

Shark_Blade
26-03-09, 04:38
Revenge is like if people punch you you want them to be punch back, or have anyhting more painful than that.

Vengeful is like avenging, let them learn something. This can be done by giving them a lesson...:mis:

CerebralAssassin
26-03-09, 04:40
nope...anger and revenge aint worth it...it clouds good judgement and rational thinking so much it's ridiculous...

xMiSsCrOfTx
26-03-09, 04:49
No, 99% of the time, I don't think it's worth it.

Feather Duster
26-03-09, 07:15
Hell yeah it's sweet. I get an adrenalin rush just thinking about revenge :mis:

Nannonxyay
26-03-09, 07:32
I can be hot tempered if anyone hurts me or my friends. This guy threw a ball purposely at my friend and the force of it could have broke her nose but it hit her head instead and she passed out, so I stormed over to him, kicked him and pulled his hair and told him; "Don't you ever do that again or I'll do it to you, you ****ing *****."

He never did it again. :D

Legends
26-03-09, 10:29
I don't care about getting revenge, if they want to go out of their way to do something, you can't stop them. Respect is something I value more, and if people always are trying to get back at each other there won't be much left.

Paddy
26-03-09, 11:28
Believe me I know what wanting revenge is about. Ive wanted for years to get some revenge on people who screwed me over when I was little and friends who sold me out, revenge aint really on my mind necessarily now but those people better steer clear, Im a Scorpio, generally they are quite vengeful lol.
But it can be worth it if someone plays a prank and you get them back, course revenge is worth it then.
If someone humiliates you then dont let them get away with it either.

Keir_Eidos
26-03-09, 11:41
Getting caught up in the bitter cycle of revenge breeds ill feeling and ultimately means the person getting/wanting revenge will be dragged down, feel bad and be caught up in the negative energy... man http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/p/peace.gif

Being 100% true to yourself (can be tricky, that) and rising above an unfair or bad act is the best way to deal with things, and will make you happier in the long run. It's also what separates you and the douche you may want revenge on.

This is the true path to inner happiness http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/n/ninjameditate.gif

spikejones
26-03-09, 14:47
Revenge is like if people punch you you want them to be punch back, or have anyhting more painful than that.

Vengeful is like avenging, let them learn something. This can be done by giving them a lesson...:mis:
imo, the lesson learned is:
you punch me, I'll punch you back. so you better damn well leave me the hell alone ;)

not a very clear distinction IMO. even the dictionary lists them as related terms. unless you look at it as:

vengeance comes first, then revengeance or reavenging
but not all initial acts that spur revenge are acts of vengeance. it can be pure accident that causes a person to feel harmed and want to seek revenge. but I just don't see a difference between revenge and vengeance. unless you look at revenge as petty acts, whereas vengeance is full blow maniacle. But I still don't see vengeance being different than the definition of revenge, because someone is not likely to seek "vengeance" without a feeling of being wronged in some way. so yeah... I've always looked at them as the same thing... just different words. Perhaps vengeance having a more intense meaning to it.

Andyroo
26-03-09, 15:00
Revenge is sweet, damn sweet. I don't like the idea of 'letting 'Karma' do its work', because quite frankly I don't believe in 'Karma' and have never seen it happen to anyone who deserves it, or anyone at all for that matter,

Encore
26-03-09, 15:13
I would never consciously plan and act for the sole purpose of hurting someone as pay back. Sure, if someone does something wrong I might want to try and stop that person, counter-argue, defend myself or others, etc. But to swallow my anger or frustration and then conspire to hurt said person as a means to compensate, that is just pathetic. If I have a problem with a person I prefer to confront him/her or, if it's not worth the trouble, just ignore it completely and move on with my life.

spikejones
26-03-09, 15:20
resentment is a ***** - the mother of all *****es. it can bring a great man to his knees. its best to just keep your own side of the street clean.

Encore
26-03-09, 15:31
Was that directed to me? 'Cause nowhere in my post I have suggested something like that. In fact I feel resentment is what leads to desire of revenge. I was saying confrontation is better, instead of going round the back and screw the person over in some elaborate way just to "get even".

I think you're kinda confusing the idea of simply standing up for yourself, with the idea of revenge, that presuposes a much more complex way of reacting. If a person for example starts a fight with a friend, you probably would want to defend your friend. That's perfectly OK, that's standing up for yourself and yours. But, if you decide to not do anything at that moment and then later, get a group of people to wait for your "enemy" in an alley and beat the crap outta him, that's revenge. And that's stupid in my book.

spikejones
26-03-09, 15:40
no... if it was directed at you... you would know. I would have directly quoted you and said something about it. of course resentment is what fuels revenge - and I was actually supplementing your post, not trying to argue it. keeping your side of the street clean is basically what you are talking about doing.

why does everyone think a post that comes after their is targetted at them:confused:

Angelx14
26-03-09, 15:43
I don't think it is worth it. Because then you're not better than the person who started all that. Hurting other people is in human's nature and you can't do anything about it. Though you alwasy can become a monk xD

RAID
26-03-09, 15:47
It depends on what has been done to you first.

Some time it is, some times it's not.

Example: Someone at work uses you to look good in front of the new boss, by making you look like a complete idiot. YES. Revenge is worth it.

Drone
26-03-09, 15:47
the underdogs have most funniest revenges. they cannot do it straight after some particular event because they ain't brave enough so they wait for opportunity. cowards, cheapskates lol they just give funny warnings kinda "I'll kick yr ass oneday" or something.

I always like and respect people who are not afraid to show who they love and who they hate

LaraCroftRox
26-03-09, 15:59
I don't think it's worth it. ;)

Biddy
26-03-09, 21:05
I would never consciously plan and act for the sole purpose of hurting someone as pay back. Sure, if someone does something wrong I might want to try and stop that person, counter-argue, defend myself or others, etc. But to swallow my anger or frustration and then conspire to hurt said person as a means to compensate, that is just pathetic. If I have a problem with a person I prefer to confront him/her or, if it's not worth the trouble, just ignore it completely and move on with my life.

Hmm, it all just depends on the situation doesn't it? Callling it 'pathetic' sometimes doesn't justify it.

Hybrid Soldier
26-03-09, 22:01

I'd have to agree there. I'm not the kind of person to seek revenge on someone. More of a what goes around, comes around mentality.

TRfan23
26-03-09, 22:05
I seek revenge by thwarting intel at them. Basically eavesdrop into their conversations to find out:-

1. Where they live
2. Their life story
3. Their plans on what to do next
4. Their phone number and postcode
5. Anything else all about them.

Lastly thrash the info at them if they latch onto you again :D

Olabelle
26-03-09, 22:06
I much prefer to sit back and let Karma do it's work. Sure, I'm vindictive enough to get revenge on people that really deserve it, but then I always end up feeling awful.

Doesn't mean I don't like to hear that someone that seriously screwed me over (for example my ex fiancee), finally had Karma come back and bite them in the rear. :D

TRhalloween
27-03-09, 01:15
Of course it is. Especially if physical pain is involved.

CuteKittenlol
27-03-09, 06:48
^ Emotional pain aswell.

Lol, i always get revenge, even if it takes years its gonna happen.

TRF
27-03-09, 07:47
I believe i never used revenge for anything.....
I don't believe in Karma (as far as I know) but what comes around, goes around...

I'll see what happens and responce to that...
If i'm happy about it: i'll leave it...
If not, i turn around and walk away....

Nerd For Life
27-03-09, 14:39
I much prefer to sit back and let Karma do it's work. Sure, I'm vindictive enough to get revenge on people that really deserve it, but then I always end up feeling awful.

Doesn't mean I don't like to hear that someone that seriously screwed me over (for example my ex fiancee), finally had Karma come back and bite them in the rear. :D

My thoughts exactly. :)

digitizedboy
27-03-09, 14:49
To be honest, I don't really believe in revenge. Let's face the facts shall we? That if you hurt someone or retaliate then you're the one in the wrong. If someone has done something bad against you, then I prefer to think that one day they'll get their comeuppance... But I'm sure this has been said already. lol